2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I wonder if he would have gotten anything more than 7 minutes a game or 4th line with Lucic.  To be fair, I think they gave Phillips about 18 minutes over 2 games, so I think Pospisil would have shown something.  

I am glad that Pospisil is playing more like Mangiapane does.  Not fighting, just being hard on the player.  The one game where he nearly got to blows, he tied up the player so he couldn't get his punches in.  Don't need him to fight.  

I did like the Ferland comparison. I think it might have been @robrob74 who made it. I like his game a lot, but I do have concerns about the longevity - not because of the heart, but because of the injury history. Hopefully my instincts are wrong in this case!

Love.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I did like the Ferland comparison. I think it might have been @robrob74 who made it. I like his game a lot, but I do have concerns about the longevity - not because of the heart, but because of the injury history. Hopefully my instincts are wrong in this case!

Love.

I'm seeing that skill now that he wasn't really showing in pre-season.  To be fair, the guys in pre-season were just trying to get noticed and would have accepted any role to make the team.  Pospisil is staying more to a gritty skill guy than a piss you off kind of guy.  Miller didn't like the check.  Also he went hard after a loose puck.  That's hardly over the edge.  Zaddy can manage that style.  Kadri can if he likes.  We don't have a lot like that now.  Maybe Gilbert.    

Ahhh how we need a "Ferland" type player!

I dont think Pospisil would go much farther in grit then he has already shown, re: previous head injuries.

I agree Zaddy has it and Kadri will only be thee guy when he feels like it.

The game is built by speed and hockey culture has changed but you do need that gritty guy to change emotions and momentum in stale games.

Lets bring back Ferland or Mcgratton! 😁 we do need a bit more "edge" one some games.

14 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

Ahhh how we need a "Ferland" type player!

I dont think Pospisil would go much farther in grit then he has already shown, re: previous head injuries.

I agree Zaddy has it and Kadri will only be thee guy when he feels like it.

The game is built by speed and hockey culture has changed but you do need that gritty guy to change emotions and momentum in stale games.

Lets bring back Ferland or Mcgratton! 😁 we do need a bit more "edge" one some games.

I would take the power forward version of Ferland over the fighting Ferland.  Ferkland Freightrain.  Tkachuk was a bit too douchie.  Too much after whistle stuff, not worth anything.  Even would accept a Joe Pavelsky who lives in the slot.  But then again, we would need Ras to actually get a point shot in.  Pospisil is living there, but rarely gets to see the puck from the point.

Just now, travel_dude said:

Flames lines at morning skate

Mangiapane - Lindholm - Sharangovich

Huberdeau - Backlund - Coleman

Dube - Kadri - Pospisil

Greer - Ruzicka - Duehr

Looks like Zary, who played very little in the third period Monday, may be the odd man out.

Yikes. Maybe hurt? But I hate that about our coaches. They youth only get one game to fail and then it's the bench.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Yikes. Maybe hurt? But I hate that about our coaches. They youth only get one game to fail and then it's the bench.

Well, he dropped below a p/gp.  LOL.  The message to the team should be you all get the same treatment.  We went from the best line to a fill-in line.  Now we put Dube in there, where he failed before.  I can never tell who played well because we see the lines shifted after a bad period or a win.  Duehr didn't do enough to stay in the lineup.  Zary didn't do enough wrong other than a loss on possession on a shift.  He wasn't great, but they gave him one period.  

I don't like Dube on LW.  He's fine on RW.

Put Zary back with Kadri and move Dube to Duehr's spot.

Nothing wrong with Greer-Ruzicka-Dube.  

Use them more if they are going, less if they are not.

Ruzicka is better on the PP than about half the guys they use.

He sees the ice.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, he dropped below a p/gp.  LOL.  The message to the team should be you all get the same treatment.  We went from the best line to a fill-in line.  Now we put Dube in there, where he failed before.  I can never tell who played well because we see the lines shifted after a bad period or a win.  Duehr didn't do enough to stay in the lineup.  Zary didn't do enough wrong other than a loss on possession on a shift.  He wasn't great, but they gave him one period.  

I don't like Dube on LW.  He's fine on RW.

Put Zary back with Kadri and move Dube to Duehr's spot.

Nothing wrong with Greer-Ruzicka-Dube.  

Use them more if they are going, less if they are not.

Ruzicka is better on the PP than about half the guys they use.

He sees the ice.

On the broadcast they were talking about how other teams are started to key in on Zary. I wonder if it's to get a view of what's going on? Tough to know. But why discipline one guy and not others to the same extent when some of those other guys are consistent repeat offenders?

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I also don’t have a problem with a young player sitting for a game and watching from the press box. Sometimes it helps with getting them refocused.

A little banged up doesn't sound like watching a game as much as being cautious.

If there was some concern about his game, then sure.

Sit him down, let him see.

But if anything, this happened in one game, so I don't think he should sit for that reason.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

A little banged up doesn't sound like watching a game as much as being cautious.

If there was some concern about his game, then sure.

Sit him down, let him see.

But if anything, this happened in one game, so I don't think he should sit for that reason.

I was just more getting at that regardless of why he is sitting, it isn't the end of the world nor the worst thing to watch a game from the pressbox and just slow things down and refocus.

It doesn't sound like this is what is occurring but in theory I agree that a young player sitting for a game or two is not an issue, just so long as the communication from coach to player is clear. Shouldn't be used as punishment but as a teaching tool. 

Flames sat Rasmus when he was first breaking into the league and he spoke about how important it was to see the game from above once he understood the speed, expectations of the NHL game.  

18 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I'm quite fine with keeping Pospisil on the NHL roster.

To me, his play would have to drop off dramatically to require his return to the AHL.

I'm happy they gave him the chance.  He's playing NHL calibre hockey so no reason to send him down.  Technically we have roster space for Pelletier, and unless he's still months away I would leave Coronato in the AHL.  No shame in that.  He's learning the thing that the NCAA and USHL don't have time to teach.  

I would like to see a bit more of Solo, because he was here when we sucked.  Wasn't on him.  

Zary is not going back.  Not unless it's a temporary paper move to make something else happen.  The Flames season turned around with him and Pospisil rejuvinating the old guys.  He missed a game and you saw the impact.  Looking at the 4 lines right now, I don't see any real weakness.  Guys are still going to have a bad game here and there, but it's one-offs.  A couple guys have struggled and been moved around, but the latest lines look balanced.

DeSimone assigned to Wranglers, which is odd.

Only 6 active D.

13 active F.

2 active goalies.

No waiver moves today that I have seen, so something is brewing.

Maybe Kylington is due back, but they would need to send down Gilbert.

That leaves them very close.

Maybe Pelletier is ready, but not sure why you send down a D for that.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Only 6 active D.

13 active F.

2 active goalies.

maybe their cap guy is figuring out ways to save cap? When they can send guys down, maybe they're realizing they can accrue space in the long run if they need to add or add contracts that equate to ones we trade out and more?

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Only 6 active D.

13 active F.

2 active goalies.

If he was on the roster any longer he would have needed waivers to go down. Also they are at home for the next 6 games, so they don’t really need to carry an extra defenseman.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If he was on the roster any longer he would have needed waivers to go down. Also they are at home for the next 6 games, so they don’t really need to carry an extra defenseman.

Read that a few minutes ago.  It makes sense.  Not sure why they love Gilbert so much.  He hasn't gone through waivers at all, but I think DeSimone is better.  Not that it matters much, they only play 12 minutes.