2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:
Z4tzClOe_mini.jpg

C of Red Central

@CofRedCentral
·
10m
Elliotte said Wolf’s recall is more for “injury protection” reasons. Markstrom missed practice yesterday, so it’s possible he’s banged up and could miss a few games.

If Markstrom is not ready to go, then we could see Wolf first game of the season this weekend on a back-to-back.

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If Markstrom is not ready to go, then we could see Wolf first game of the season this weekend on a back-to-back.

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

another wrinkle to add, Wranglers were heading to California for the weekend. creates some travel challenges for a call up. 

I hope they play him but this does seem like proactive management than anything else. 

It's possible that he gets a start, but this is as much playing it safe than anything.  With that though, why not bring up the actual backup from the Wranglers if he is just coverage for practice and extremely unlikely to get a start.  Yes, this says to the player you are the first option for call up, but not much fun if the most you do is warm the bench.  Money okay, but a shame if he doesn't get a start.

When I consider starts against OTT and TOR, I don't think either of them have fared that well.  Vladar was good against TOR but lost in OT.  I don't have a full memory of how they did in most recent starts.  Will look.

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

another wrinkle to add, Wranglers were heading to California for the weekend. creates some travel challenges for a call up. 

I hope they play him but this does seem like proactive management than anything else. 

Hopefully he gets a game, missing out on a California trip for a California kid means not getting to see his family. Though I am sure the NHL paycheque makes up for it.

28 minutes ago, cross16 said:

IMO the only reason to call up Wolf is to play him.  I get the injury angle, and it makes sense to me to have someone up here, but I don't think you call up top prospects "just in case".

He should play and if he doesn't that's disappointing. 

i wonder how much the team recognize the excitement around playing the rookies and it's as much damage control to get fans to reengage.

40 minutes ago, cross16 said:

IMO the only reason to call up Wolf is to play him.  I get the injury angle, and it makes sense to me to have someone up here, but I don't think you call up top prospects "just in case".

He should play and if he doesn't that's disappointing. 

I mean it's very possible that they intend to play Wolf.  Vladar has shown flashes of good play, but the things he lets in are troubling.  The concern I have is they don't give him any runway.  He's had one NHL game against the Sharks when it had no meaning to any team.  I hope he plays and stays.  That would mean he is playing good enough to be a backup.

I do wonder that if part of the equation with Wolf coming up is that they probably want to see how he looks in more NHL games before they are comfortable moving Vladar. 

There isn’t exactly a whole lot of depth past Wolf, so you want to make sure he can compete at this level before you move out your depth.

If you look around the league it’s not like there are a ton of quality goaltenders. 

It's unacceptable to me that you have two sub 900 goalies getting starts while your AAA NHL ready goalie prospect is wasting his ELC on the farm. Especially when you have been flirting with last place. 

Hopefully Wolf capitalizes on this situation and forces the GM to make room for him on the main roster. 

Kipper paved the way for the 2004 run. We saw the impact Zary has had on the roster. Give Wolf a real chance and see what he can do. 

9 hours ago, kehatch said:

It's unacceptable to me that you have two sub 900 goalies getting starts while your AAA NHL ready goalie prospect is wasting his ELC on the farm. Especially when you have been flirting with last place. 

Hopefully Wolf capitalizes on this situation and forces the GM to make room for him on the main roster. 

Kipper paved the way for the 2004 run. We saw the impact Zary has had on the roster. Give Wolf a real chance and see what he can do. 

That's the problem with stat watching, it belies the fact that Markstrom has given them a chance most nights, and Vladar vindicated himself last night by giving them a chance in a lopsided 3rd period. It's not on the goalies when the players do little with games their goalies are keeping them in.

Stats are generally garbage. They do little more than skew actually watching. The goalies aren't the problem. Shooting %age and laughable turnovers/giveaways are. Can anyone score on a breakaway? Can Lindholm see open linemates in the o-zone? Can Hanifin stare at the chest of the guy with the puck, rather than stare at the puck. Tavares dancing him last night was embarrassing. But those guys aren't goalies, or it would REALLY be ugly.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

That's the problem with stat watching, it belies the fact that Markstrom has given them a chance most nights, and Vladar vindicated himself last night by giving them a chance in a lopsided 3rd period. It's not on the goalies when the players do little with games their goalies are keeping them in.

Stats are generally garbage. They do little more than skew actually watching. The goalies aren't the problem. Shooting %age and laughable turnovers/giveaways are. Can anyone score on a breakaway? Can Lindholm see open linemates in the o-zone? Can Hanifin stare at the chest of the guy with the puck, rather than stare at the puck. Tavares dancing him last night was embarrassing. But those guys aren't goalies, or it would REALLY be ugly.

5v5 this season Calgary has given up 6 more goals then expected and are dead last in team save percentage. That is a continuation from the previous season where things were very similar (and where we were still good enough to just miss the playoffs).  

As far as watching, I watch them all.  The team needs to be better in front of the goalies, but it looks a lot worse when every mistake goes in.  Last night Vladar did play well in the third.  But he let in four goals on the first 15 shots before that, three of them were very stoppable and at least one was downright soft.  

10 hours ago, kehatch said:

Calgary has given up 6 more goals then expected

Speaking of stats being a joke, expected goals for/against is the biggest laugher that lots of folks like to recite. I remember people saying +/- was useless. There are waaay more made up ones now, treated like they mean something.

To quote Mickey Redmond, "expected by whom"? lol

One thing I remember about stat-trending things that aren't consistent, is that if you put Satoshi Nakamoto in, you get Satoshi Nakamoto out.

I'd be happy if even something as basic as reffing was remotely consistent.

But people make a living coming up with that crap, so good on them.

Goaltending is the least of my concern. This team is overflowing with issues. Vasilevsky wouldn't help this thing.

Too many individuals. It's been that way for too long. Team's play for each other. This one doesn't.

I'm pretty apathetic about it. I'm also done with, "player-friendly" mgrs. You're not everyone's buddy, you're their boss. Act like it, or be taken advantage of, like a bunch of these Blockchains are doing.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Too many individuals. It's been that way for too long. Team's play for each other. This one doesn't.

I'm pretty apathetic about it. I'm also done with, "player-friendly" mgrs. You're not everyone's buddy, you're their boss. Act like it, or be taken advantage of, like a bunch of these Blockchains are doing.

I'm really interested in seeing what from now to the TDL looks like.

We're going to find out what Conroy is as a GM. 

He seems like an awesome guy so I hope he aces it, but I'm not so sure...

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm really interested in seeing what from now to the TDL looks like.

We're going to find out what Conroy is as a GM. 

He seems like an awesome guy so I hope he aces it, but I'm not so sure...

I remain hopeful and won't be on the Satoshi Nakamoto-on-him- brigade with whatever he can do. He was left with a Satoshi Nakamotoshow.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

I remain hopeful and won't be on the Satoshi Nakamoto-on-him- brigade with whatever he can do. He was left with a Satoshi Nakamotoshow.

100%. I'm sure it's been a rough few months. Definitely not how he expected things to go.

I just want him to do well because he seems like a genuinely good person lol

18 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

100%. I'm sure it's been a rough few months. Definitely not how he expected things to go.

I just want him to do well because he seems like a genuinely good person lol

Well, my first lesson in mgmt was that you're not everyone's buddy, you're the law.

edit

But I like to think that I'm still a good person. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Speaking of stats being a joke, expected goals for/against is the biggest laugher that lots of folks like to recite. I remember people saying +/- was useless. There are waaay more made up ones now, treated like they mean something.

To quote Mickey Redmond, "expected by whom"? lol

One thing I remember about stat-trending things that aren't consistent, is that if you put Satoshi Nakamoto in, you get Satoshi Nakamoto out.

I'd be happy if even something as basic as reffing was remotely consistent.

But people make a living coming up with that crap, so good on them.

Goaltending is the least of my concern. This team is overflowing with issues. Vasilevsky wouldn't help this thing.

The stats weren't kind to Wolf, though I have only seen the GA and SA% for this one start.

We take our top goalie prospect who has been waiting in the AHL to play for a long time.

Best goalie there for like 2 years.

He gets the call and has to be backup while the team is fresh and can score goals.

Vladar gets lit up a bit, and some maybe were weak sauce, but mostly it was an onslaught.

What does Wolf get?

The 2nd half of a B2B where the team did just enough to not get shutout themselves.

Did they make his job easy?

Took 4 stright penalties in the 2nd, including the 2 man advantage one.

Scored zero goals on their PP.

They barely touched the puck in the 3rd.

Backlund may have been the only choice for captain, but he sure is doing nothing to gel this team.

I don't know if they do media scrums on the road much, other than one offs, but does he say anything?

Anything, like the usual stuff our player have said, gotta be better, embarassed, etc.

Don't know.  I've seen Huska talk, maybe it's too early to see those pressers.