V1nny83at5

23 hours ago, cross16 said:

So this begs the question what is your preference.

Have this dealt with and live with lesser returns?

Play it forward to shoot for what is a fair return?

Not sure you can have it both ways right now. 

The number one guy Conroy has to trade is Hanifin.  He is a 26 year old top pairing D who makes under 5 million.  The second priority is Lindholm, who Conroy has to trade if he isn't confident in an extension.  He is a 28 year old number 1 centre making under 5 million. We can talk about the mess we are in, but those are two of the most tradeable players in the NHL. 

If you can't trade a young top pairing defenseman on a budget contract during the primary trade window then a little criticism is warranted.  When you add the remainder of the list that didn't get done then its really warranted.  I think Conroy is getting a bit of a pass because he is new and he is a fan favorite.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kehatch said:

The number one guy Conroy has to trade is Hanifin.  He is a 26 year old top pairing D who makes under 5 million.  The second priority is Lindholm, who Conroy has to trade if he isn't confident in an extension.  He is a 28 year old number 1 centre making under 5 million. We can talk about the mess we are in, but those are two of the most tradeable players in the NHL. 

If you can't trade a young top pairing defenseman on a budget contract during the primary trade window then a little criticism is warranted.  When you add the remainder of the list that didn't get done then its really warranted.  I think Conroy is getting a bit of a pass because he is new and he is a fan favorite.

No one really knows whos been approached and who has approached concerning player availability but there would be more reason for criticism if he made an underwhelming trade for the sake of trading the player. Again its a no win situation for him so may as well get the best return possible. If that means waiting for TDL then so be it.

I see one thing Conroy has learned not to do from Brad Treliving, but maybe it's due to constraints is, not sign a bunch of UFA to use up the cap space. BT has done a terrible job in Toronto already. 

something Conroy seems to be doing what BT, is being patient and waiting out the market. I think that had both positive and negative results.

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I see one thing Conroy has learned not to do from Brad Treliving, but maybe it's due to constraints is, not sign a bunch of UFA to use up the cap space. BT has done a terrible job in Toronto already. 

something Conroy seems to be doing what BT, is being patient and waiting out the market. I think that had both positive and negative results.

I think it's due to constraints. We are capped out and waiting for Lindholm to respond to an extension.  I mean, it would be a nice change for once if Conroy doesn't fomo on UFA week.

TOR should've hired BT in September.  BT is a danger to franchises during UFA season.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I think it's due to constraints. We are capped out and waiting for Lindholm to respond to an extension.  I mean, it would be a nice change for once if Conroy doesn't fomo on UFA week.

TOR should've hired BT in September.  BT is a danger to franchises during UFA season.

I see a parallel. BT always tried the cheap route at G until Markstrom. I always felt he wasn't giving the position enough credit. Here he is now in Toronto blowing money in UFA without being serious about re-signing his #1 goalie. All the chatter is, "oh no, if Samsonov wins his arb, we're Blockchained". No one is actually pointing out that BT caused this.

Maybe he prefers Domi with Murray in net rather than no Domi and Samsonov. Reaves? Klingberg?

He's right back to acting like goaltending is whatever. It's maddening. Sure Brad, anyone can do it, like Brian Elliot, Mike Smith, Cam Talbot, Eddie Lack...why get a top one when you can cheap out?

Biting him already is zero surprise.

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

No one really knows whos been approached and who has approached concerning player availability but there would be more reason for criticism if he made an underwhelming trade for the sake of trading the player. Again its a no win situation for him so may as well get the best return possible. If that means waiting for TDL then so be it.

The Flames had a nightmare season. Following that the GM refused a contract extension and the head coach was fired before his new contract even started.  We traded our leading scorer, we are likely losing our top D, and we have lost various depth players, including Lucic.  We have replaced them with the assistant GM and coach from last year, a middling winger, and several middling prospects.  

Moving forward, most of our top players are on expiring contracts next season and we have a middling to poor prospect pool.  We can't rebuild because we have 214 million invested in long term contracts to  5 players in their 30s. Now we are asking players to sign extensions with us a year before they have.  This is in a year where the salary cap is expected to go up.  

Nobody knows what this team is going to look like in September.  We certainly don't know what it is going to look like in a year. Would you sign an extension in these circumstances?  Conroy didn't create the mess, but his job is to add stability and direction.  

Instead he has sat on his hands and done very little.  Not being able to find an effective return for a 26 year old top line D on a budget contract isn't an acceptable reason .  An effective GM can find a strong return for that type of player.  We are rudderless at the moment. 

4 hours ago, kehatch said:

The Flames had a nightmare season. Following that the GM refused a contract extension and the head coach was fired before his new contract even started.  We traded our leading scorer, we are likely losing our top D, and we have lost various depth players, including Lucic.  We have replaced them with the assistant GM and coach from last year, a middling winger, and several middling prospects.  

Moving forward, most of our top players are on expiring contracts next season and we have a middling to poor prospect pool.  We can't rebuild because we have 214 million invested in long term contracts to  5 players in their 30s. Now we are asking players to sign extensions with us a year before they have.  This is in a year where the salary cap is expected to go up.  

Nobody knows what this team is going to look like in September.  We certainly don't know what it is going to look like in a year. Would you sign an extension in these circumstances?  Conroy didn't create the mess, but his job is to add stability and direction.  

Instead he has sat on his hands and done very little.  Not being able to find an effective return for a 26 year old top line D on a budget contract isn't an acceptable reason .  An effective GM can find a strong return for that type of player.  We are rudderless at the moment. 

It's July.

• Like 1