Étienne Morin - Flames 2nd round 2023 draft pick

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/599308/etienne-morin

Right then:  I figured, he deserves a thread.  I  feel the Flames made very interesting choices (which I support) in the first 2 rounds and I will be following Etienne closely with a high level of hope.

Eliteprospects currently has a bug that allows you to view their premium content by linking to it, rather than upgrading to premium.  Example below (expect the link to go dead at some point when they learn the internet).  We should not laugh too hard with the Flames forum software..

Anyway, I like the potential here.  Also the highest-scoring qmjhl player in the draft by a pretty decent margin.   I know @conundrumed was super excited about this.   I actually like the profile.  My only comment is that we did pass up some guys to get him, like Dragicevic, and Dvorak  Other than that, I'm good.

We need more D prospects, we need more skill.   I'm in.  I do wish we had more picks in this draft, it was fantastic.  Happy we got this guy, let's see what he does.

etiennemorintn.jpg
Read complete scouting
report from EP draft guide

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I hope he progresses well and he likely will. I really like Strbak that went a couple picks sooner. I'm tentative about the Flames focusing on O-first dmen rather than D-first dmen, but that's philosophical differences, not right vs wrong.

I liked Strbak too, but it's like I'm always saying, you can't just go for the RHS.    I'm trying to not go too negative Nelly, I didn't get exactly what I wanted here but I did get elements of what I wanted in the skill and the position (defenceman).   I trust they had their reasons, he wasn't off the board and we are going to need guys like him.

Honestly I am optimistic with this pick (thus the thread).

It was....  a good draft to upgrade in or get more picks.   But also an expensive draft, so..I get it, and I'm happy we got what we got.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Right then:  I figured, he deserves a thread.  I  feel the Flames made very interesting choices (which I support) in the first 2 rounds and I will be following Etienne closely with a high level of hope.

Eliteprospects currently has a bug that allows you to view their premium content by linking to it, rather than upgrading to premium.  Example below (expect the link to go dead at some point when they learn the internet).  We should not laugh too hard with the Flames forum software..

Anyway, I like the potential here.  Also the highest-scoring qmjhl player in the draft by a pretty decent margin.   I know @conundrumed was super excited about this.   I actually like the profile.  My only comment is that we did pass up some guys to get him, like Dragicevic, and Dvorak  Other than that, I'm good.

We need more D prospects, we need more skill.   I'm in.  I do wish we had more picks in this draft, it was fantastic.  Happy we got this guy, let's see what he does.

Some interesting comments in the report, but I have heard some rumblings about him being a good body defender.  So, a bit higher up on the evolutionary scale than Poirier, and I like Poirier.  Keep him improving his D game and we should be happy with the progression.  

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Some interesting comments in the report, but I have heard some rumblings about him being a good body defender.  So, a bit higher up on the evolutionary scale than Poirier, and I like Poirier.  Keep him improving his D game and we should be happy with the progression.  

He is easily one level higher than Poirier was in most areas yes.  I also saw he has physicality in his game and is difficult to play against.  We must have both hacked the same premium subscription. 

More offense.  Better scoring touch.      

My initial reaction is that he is the prospect everyone was optimistically hoping Poirier to be.

Given that he's a 2nd rounder though, that's to be expected.   So I think we should aim a little higher with him, despite Poirier's AHL success. He needs to show everyone they missed him in round 1.

7 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

He is easily one level higher than Poirier was in most areas yes.  I also saw he has physicality in his game and is difficult to play against.  We must have both hacked the same premium subscription. 

More offense.  Better scoring touch.      

My initial reaction is that he is the prospect everyone was optimistically hoping Poirier to be.

Given that he's a 2nd rounder though, that's to be expected.   So I think we should aim a little higher with him, despite Poirier's AHL success. He needs to show everyone they missed him in round 1.

Naw, just check some different articles.  I don't dig too deep.

Since he's so young he has loads of time to develop.

He could possibly be good enough to score in the NHL now, but that's just one part.

Bouchard is scoring a lot in EDM and still can't defend.  Even after all these years.

He was a scoring maching in Jr.  But never was good at D.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He could possibly be good enough to score in the NHL now, but that's just one part.

Bouchard is scoring a lot in EDM and still can't defend.  Even after all these years.

I get it.    yeah.   But, imho, just because we draft an offensive D does not make us Edmonton.

QMJHL may not be the best league for him.  but anyway it's only one more year.

A big question will be:  Who are the coaching staff going to be in a couple years with the Wranglers?  Then you get into all sorts of other things like off-season training etc.

I really believe it is possible to turn an offensive D into a two-way D.   If given the right environment and motivations.

And even if I'm wrong with some players, it should at least be possible to recognize that the issue isn't improving early in their development, and get a trade done.

51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

For me, I wonder if some of those types could transition to wing, but it seems to not happen very often. If they're that gifted offensively why not try it. They might even have some D tendencies that might work better as a forward??? I dunno. 

I get it.    yeah.   But, imho, just because we draft an offensive D does not make us Edmonton.

A big question will be:  Who are the coaching staff going to be in a couple years with the Wranglers?  Then you get into all sorts of other things like off-season training etc.

I really believe it is possible to turn an offensive D into a two-way D.   If given the right environment and motivations.

And even if I'm wrong with some players, it should at least be possible to recognize that the issue isn't improving early in their development, and get a trade done.

i think if they're a good offensive player, why not see if it could transition to wing in those circumstances? I'm talking out of my butt though. Just a shot though. 

• Like 1

I wasn't comparing him to EDM at all, just saying that some that start that way never learn.  But that has a lot to do with EDM that rewards goals and detests shurdown.

On 7/3/2023 at 7:50 AM, Thebrewcrew said:

My favorite pick of the Flames draft.

Mine too. 

I hope the Wildcats get some more depth this year and Morin plays less. Based on some early viewings and looking at his profile I have a bit of a theory that some of the "warts" he gets noted are due to playing too much. Less could be more with him. 

But really, really good value in the 2nd round. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Mine too. 

I hope the Wildcats get some more depth this year and Morin plays less. Based on some early viewings and looking at his profile I have a bit of a theory that some of the "warts" he gets noted are due to playing too much. Less could be more with him. 

But really, really good value in the 2nd round. 

Seems like our best defense choices come from 2nd rounders.  Keep up the good work.

Definitely a value pick.  

• 3 months later...
47 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

And Poirier has 5 points in 2 AHL games.

Liking it.    It's almost enough for me to calm down a bit at least for LD.

Almost.

If he keeps it up maybe he can advance to the AHL next year.  Not that there's a rush, but it would be good to see.   In my eyes he's already jumped up quite a bit in our prospect pool

7 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Liking it.    It's almost enough for me to calm down a bit at least for LD.

Almost.

If he keeps it up maybe he can advance to the AHL next year.  Not that there's a rush, but it would be good to see.   In my eyes he's already jumped up quite a bit in our prospect pool

Morin is 18, so impossible for him to play in the AHL next year.  March birthday.

Saying that, he may be ready for that level.

I'm not even sure he is on TC's radar for the WJC.

Always so much politics and talent to be considered.

The politics does benefit him somewhat.

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Morin is 18, so impossible for him to play in the AHL next year.  March birthday.

Saying that, he may be ready for that level.

I'm not even sure he is on TC's radar for the WJC.

Always so much politics and talent to be considered.

The politics does benefit him somewhat.

Wasn't part of the summer camp. He'd be a real long shot as TC blueline is deep this year and they also tend to shy away from guys his age, especially on D. 

he'd have a better chance next year. Played for Canada at the Under 18s so he'd be on the radar for sure. 

• 3 months later...

Wow! Players should be suspended longer for that. If he cuts the guy, that guy misses a lot more than one game. Need to start changing players' mindsets on keeping other players safe and creating a set punishment.