Free Agent Frenzy

conundrumed

Overall, I'm not seeing much for overpays outside of Chicago with Perry and Foligno but that's a different circumstance.

Only 3 players interested me were Soucy, Geekie and Glendening(4th line faceoff god) for depth.

We have no cap, so no reason to go swimming in this pool prior to lassoing our finances.

Considering $8.5 per is the new $6 per, $4mil is likely the new $2.5mil etc.

Contracts are escalating faster than the cap overall.

I've read Compher is an overpay at $5.1 but that is likely his true value in this market. Now Detroit has a LH Copp and a RH Copp. Maybe they'll run with 15 fwds and 4D.lol

Yzerman keeps saying the goal is to stay competitive in rebuilding and he's still on that. Get to feeling like maybe it's time to break out, but then this. So he isn't ready to call it. Still acquiring useful depth players that he can trade out of.

This is what year 5 of burn it down looks like, after 4 previous years of Holland inking too many god-awful contracts.

HEY!!! Lewis back to a good LA team. So happy for him! Never had a single problem with acquiring him or his play with us. Wouldn't have bothered me to him. If your whole team plays with his instincts, you're Seattle.lol

Great to see an honest hard-working player is still appreciated. He was far from the problem with us.

Looch to the Bruins is fantastic. I'm happy for him. Nobody tries harder or has more passion. I'll go so far as to say that there is likely nobody that did more to instill the NHL's pains into our guys like Lucic. I hated his standing still too often, but he taught everyone about the sacrifice. Worst trade ever by Edmonton imho.

I better understand that signing by Chiareli now from a few people in the know. One does piecework scouting for Vegas and he's a hardcore Oilers fan. He hated the Neal trade from day 1 and always reverted back to the Oilers not being mentally tough enough because all of the idiot fans ran Lucic out of town.

So getting younger is a great plan. Lucic at 1mil to assist may have been an exceptional call.

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

There is always a lot of talk on here about people waiting for the Flames organisation to tell us that they are rebuilding.

As if any rebuild was ever pre-announced from any organisation ever, or that the organisation even had a say in it.

imho, don't worry what the organisation says on the surface.   all organisations say they are trying to win lol.

Flames are at a certain phase right now, call it what you want, but it's a phase where often big-name free-agent signings become difficult.   That's a good thing, because the big-name free agent signings are usually not that great.

Soon, we'll be able to sign players who just want ice time and an opportunity.   Some great things can come out of that, even if they're not household names.

NYR, Detroit off of the top of my head. You do have to tell your fans imo. Or they're left to come to their own conclusions, which is risking the intelligence of the general population via social media mongering to be of sound mind. So massive risk.

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

NYR, Detroit off of the top of my head. You do have to tell your fans imo. Or they're left to come to their own conclusions, which is risking the intelligence of the general population via social media mongering to be of sound mind. So massive risk.

lol ok technically you're right, sorry.   Teams have announced it...after the fact.

So yes, Detroit did make an announcement after 2 straight years of picking in the top 10 at the draft.   Just for anyone who hadn't figured it out.

That would mean we could expect an announcement from the Flames in 2025, 2026.

Detroit's rebuild has been...particularly long.   I preach patience but I do hope ours isn't quite that long.  Theirs did not get off to the best start, but I think it's doing a lot better now, credit to Yzerman.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Christian Fischer is next. Would still only be up to 40 contracts. This may never end.lol

Wonder what the end game is....Load up on picks at tdl or more immediate trades.

I love me a good conspiracy theory.

To Detroit:

Lindolm

Hanifin

Backlund

Mangiapane

Tanev

Vladar

Lifetime tickets to the Calgary Stampede

To Calgary

Kasper

Compher

Berggren

Kostin

Sprong

Gostisbehere

Wallinder

Reimer

2024 1st and 2nd

10% in Detroit tigers stock, 3 zambonis from the Ford museum and lifetime memberships to the Motown museum.

And of course, future considerations.

We trading garbage with quality now?

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We trading garbage with quality now?

The "Lines" thread will be fire,lol

Unpopular opinion: Kasper is going to be a 2C wrecking ball in 2 years. But only if he can avoid injury flying into everything that moves. That part is where risk lives. Love the intensity, un-love the risk.

You know when he's on the ice. Stupid young players trying to invent dynamics.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

I'm waiting patiently for the age of cross-sport trades.

We've got 1st baseman Armado Rodriguez for you if you send us RW Jussi Dangleberg.

I feel a bit racist with those names, yet practical.🤫

Inevitable.  Leagues gotta merge first, can't be long though

Just now, conundrumed said:

We now have 3 months. Should we bicker and whine? Or just have light-hearted fun?

The funny thing is that this is the first time in 11 years (?) that we have not signed a single player on UFA day.  There were some deals out there.  We didn't bite on the crap sandwiches (Anaheim?).  I laughed at the excuse that we didn't have cap space or money.  If you want something you make it work.  Unless the owners have told you the approvals go through them.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The funny thing is that this is the first time in 11 years (?) that we have not signed a single player on UFA day.  There were some deals out there.  We didn't bite on the crap sandwiches (Anaheim?).  I laughed at the excuse that we didn't have cap space or money.  If you want something you make it work.  Unless the owners have told you the approvals go through them.

We have a team of NHL players like everyone else. We're okay. We're not Chicago bad nor Tampa elite. It's okay.

Every team is, "on paper", none of that really matters.

Example: Seattle. Near everyone called their new team draft hot garbage. In their 2nd year, they look like a big problem.

Name brand means nothing. Team game is everything. Look at Toronto. Can't beat our top 6. Sure. We'll focus on demolishing you with our bottom 6 then.

• Like 1

We'll, I think this may go down as one of our best Day 1's of all time ..lol.. sometimes not having any money is a good thing.. 

It was a bad crop to begin with..and yes it's accepted that July 1 is always overpays..but there's very few deals done that I wish we had been in on .

Would have liked Stecher back, that's about it.  Oilers made a good deal on Conner Brown but he was always only ever going there.   And they'll regret those bonuses next year .

Islanders got players but way too much term..

Toronto essentially got worse ..

Many teams can only do hockey trades now ..that puts us in a good position 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

We'll, I think this may go down as one of our best Day 1's of all time ..lol.. sometimes not having any money is a good thing.. 

It was a bad crop to begin with..and yes it's accepted that July 1 is always overpays..but there's very few deals done that I wish we had been in on .

Would have liked Stecher back, that's about it.  Oilers made a good deal on Conner Brown but he was always only ever going there.   And they'll regret those bonuses next year .

Islanders got players but way too much term..

Toronto essentially got worse ..

Many teams can only do hockey trades now ..that puts us in a good position 

I don't think there were really any overpays, just on a few terms. Most of the players are NHLers and the deals were even on the light side potentially.

I think that I'm the only Flames fan that wanted zero part of Troy Stetcher from the beginning until the end.

Of course he's going back to ARI. As a 7th D he's still a borderline NHLer. If he looks good on your team, you have a good team. Not because of him.

I would take Michael Stone every day over him. For the record, I can't stand Stone outside of the howitzer. And Stetcher doesn't have a howitzer.

I'm astounded that my opinion of him is not shared by the majority of Flames fans, like, at all.

I feel so lonely.lol Then again, I've watched a larger sample size via Detroit to see if he means anything to a lousy team. Nope.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I don't think there were really any overpays, just on a few terms. Most of the players are NHLers and the deals were even on the light side potentially.

I think that I'm the only Flames fan that wanted zero part of Troy Stetcher from the beginning until the end.

Of course he's going back to ARI. As a 7th D he's still a borderline NHLer. If he looks good on your team, you have a good team. Not because of him.

I would take Michael Stone every day over him. For the record, I can't stand Stone outside of the howitzer. And Stetcher doesn't have a howitzer.

I'm astounded that my opinion of him is not shared by the majority of Flames fans, like, at all.

I feel so lonely.lol Then again, I've watched a larger sample size via Detroit to see if he means anything to a lousy team. Nope.

There were definitely overpays ..  Killorn is good but not 5x5 good ... The max deals given out by NYI, ..nearly every player that left the Leafs . But again that's what it takes to play at the July 1 table.   $ and term is about 15-20% higher than it should be just to ante in..   but we didn't have that luxury , and nobody we needed badly enough even if we did 

Stecher definitely isn't a top 4, but I liked the way he joined the offense .  Savard spoke that we will have a lot of d joining the offense this year ..no D to D back and forth..  more pass it or carry it right up.. Stecher played that well .. 

He's not a shut down by any means ..but at under 2 for 2 years he'd be a solid 6/7 

I think ANA had to overpay on Killorn and Gudas.

They need to get more competitive. They've been so bad the past couple of years. They're trying to build around Zegras/Terry/Drysdale etc, those guys have known nothing but losing. 

Smart call to try and add some veterans that can still play, because before you know it, you could be Buffalo and have ten years of horrendous play.

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think ANA had to overpay on Killorn and Gudas.

They need to get more competitive. They've been so bad the past couple of years. They're trying to build around Zegras/Terry/Drysdale etc, those guys have known nothing but losing. 

Smart call to try and add some veterans that can still play, because before you know it, you could be Buffalo and have ten years of horrendous play.

Oh 💯.. for them it made sense ..and again that's what day one is all about..  they have tons of room may as well monetize it ...but it made no sense for us 

54 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The TDL trade was a waste of a player Sutter wouldn't play.

Neither was really top 6, but Mackey had some upside.

I don't even know what the point of signing Stecher would be this summer.

We are trying to trade a top pair D.

We should be looking for a player that makes Zadorov better.

Stone as a stand-in is fine, should we not graduate any kids.

If we were to sign Bear, we still need someone for the start of the season.

Stone starting there is worrisome.

I didn't mind the JT Compher signing but he's not much younger than Lindholm.

Not even a year.  Good term though.

Congrats on signing Fischer.  Cheap and a decent goal scorer in ARI.

If that's saying much.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I prefer my fruit fermented.lol

White wine is right up there with potato juice (vodka) for avoiding hangovers.

Not being self-induced BTCy is important.

JJ prefers rum, for example.

Whiskey.  although I've barely had it since last draft.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Overall, I'm not seeing much for overpays outside of Chicago with Perry and Foligno but that's a different circumstance.

Only 3 players interested me were Soucy, Geekie and Glendening(4th line faceoff god) for depth.

We have no cap, so no reason to go swimming in this pool prior to lassoing our finances.

Considering $8.5 per is the new $6 per, $4mil is likely the new $2.5mil etc.

Contracts are escalating faster than the cap overall.

I've read Compher is an overpay at $5.1 but that is likely his true value in this market. Now Detroit has a LH Copp and a RH Copp. Maybe they'll run with 15 fwds and 4D.lol

Yzerman keeps saying the goal is to stay competitive in rebuilding and he's still on that. Get to feeling like maybe it's time to break out, but then this. So he isn't ready to call it. Still acquiring useful depth players that he can trade out of.

This is what year 5 of burn it down looks like, after 4 previous years of Holland inking too many god-awful contracts.

HEY!!! Lewis back to a good LA team. So happy for him! Never had a single problem with acquiring him or his play with us. Wouldn't have bothered me to him. If your whole team plays with his instincts, you're Seattle.lol

Great to see an honest hard-working player is still appreciated. He was far from the problem with us.

Looch to the Bruins is fantastic. I'm happy for him. Nobody tries harder or has more passion. I'll go so far as to say that there is likely nobody that did more to instill the NHL's pains into our guys like Lucic. I hated his standing still too often, but he taught everyone about the sacrifice. Worst trade ever by Edmonton imho.

I better understand that signing by Chiareli now from a few people in the know. One does piecework scouting for Vegas and he's a hardcore Oilers fan. He hated the Neal trade from day 1 and always reverted back to the Oilers not being mentally tough enough because all of the idiot fans ran Lucic out of town.

So getting younger is a great plan. Lucic at 1mil to assist may have been an exceptional call.

it is too bad that we are having a hard time trading our guys so we could have picked up some of those contracts you're referring to, where I bolded your quote, to get draft capital at the deadline.