Head Coach

Ken Wells

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's so sad to hear it came down to money.  This ownership group wants to win now but won't pay up.  I know they are already paying Sutter but still.  Just pay.

very consistent for Edwards. 

I also doubt it was only money. He really isn’t a great fit for what they’ve said they want by I’m just money was the excuse they gave him. 
im still of the belief that they only reason they called was to gain insight on Huberdeau. 

54 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's so sad to hear it came down to money.  This ownership group wants to win now but won't pay up.  I know they are already paying Sutter but still.  Just pay.

I doubt that is the full story. Gallant has developed a reputation around the league now and quite honestly isn’t worth the money it would take to sign him. Especially since he would need a raise on what he was making with the Rangers.

After all the turmoil Sutter caused within the organization top to bottom, why bring in a coach who has a similar track record.

Gallant never made sense as a candidate and I don’t think he was ever a serious candidate. I think they just wanted to get info on getting the most out of Huberdeau.

Whether or not Mitch Love is the next Head coach of the Flames, the Wranglers will be looking for an HC

This would be a heck of a hire.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/24300/matt-o-dette

Coaching in Seattle of the dub. The Thunderbirds are an excellent program. He’s been the head coach for 6 years. Played pro in the Flames system. Another up and coming coach. Iginla’s son plays for SEA, probably some pretty good insight there. Junior hockey is cyclical, Seattle has been really good,  but at the cost of their future. Could make O’Dette more likely to make the jump

What I find funny is fans worry about losing Phillips in the offseason and having him go somewhere and succeed without really ever getting a good shot here.  Why don't we worry as much about losing a homegrown coach to another organization, because we worry too much on whether he can do it at the next level.  Maybe he isn't ready, maybe he doesn't have what it takes, but every name out there has their flaws as well otherwise they would be employed in the NHL right now.  The Wranglers were a better team this year despite losing practically all their C's and most of the D from the year before.  Yes Wolf was the MVP, but the team was still top 5 in goal scoring with Pelts playing only half the season there, even Dansk and Werner the last 2 years have had good records despite poor stats.  It might not be a slam dunk hire, but the closest thing IMO.

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

What I find funny is fans worry about losing Phillips in the offseason and having him go somewhere and succeed without really ever getting a good shot here.  Why don't we worry as much about losing a homegrown coach to another organization, because we worry too much on whether he can do it at the next level.  Maybe he isn't ready, maybe he doesn't have what it takes, but every name out there has their flaws as well otherwise they would be employed in the NHL right now.  The Wranglers were a better team this year despite losing practically all their C's and most of the D from the year before.  Yes Wolf was the MVP, but the team was still top 5 in goal scoring with Pelts playing only half the season there, even Dansk and Werner the last 2 years have had good records despite poor stats.  It might not be a slam dunk hire, but the closest thing IMO.

My point exactly!  Love was able to take the cards he was dealt, adjust the team and not only succeed, but have players excel!

Given the circumstances that project for the foreseeable future, Mitch Love may very well be the exact type of coach this team will need!

13 hours ago, sak22 said:

Phillips is a different conversation.  It's not a situation of losing him for nothing and him succeeding elsewhere aas much as not using a player on a team starved of scoring when they had the chance.  The comp you refer to is signing Phillips to a 1 way NHL deal and giving him a top 6 spot without even seeing him play a single NHL game.  

There are many things to be said about Love.  It's obvious he is a good coach.  He may get interest elsewhere.  If he is the next best choice for a new coach, then talk to him and see if he is willing to be a A/coach in the NHL first, in case they hire someone else.  If he is the best choice, then hire him.    

Phillips has done nothing but show he can play at an elite level in the A's and seems to me most players who succeed in the A's with that level will forsure succed in the NHL JMO. By the way I have faith in him I only wish most on here did 

44 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Phillips is a different conversation.  It's not a situation of losing him for nothing and him succeeding elsewhere aas much as not using a player on a team starved of scoring when they had the chance.  The comp you refer to is signing Phillips to a 1 way NHL deal and giving him a top 6 spot without even seeing him play a single NHL game.  

There are many things to be said about Love.  It's obvious he is a good coach.  He may get interest elsewhere.  If he is the next best choice for a new coach, then talk to him and see if he is willing to be a A/coach in the NHL first, in case they hire someone else.  If he is the best choice, then hire him.    

We've given one-way deals before and the player not taking the spot. I can't remember any examples, but they don't necessarily need to stay in the lineup. Give him a shot. this team loves the idea of competition for spots, now have open spots and let kids win them.

I'd say live with warts. That's something this team has never been able to do. It's been perfectionist hockey since Bennett started, which is why we never developed him as a C and only played him there. 

In hindsight, I wanted him to play with Johnny, but maybe playing and developing him with Tkachuk was the move. I noticed Bennett try passing to guys who couldn't receive a pass to save their lives and then Benny try to do it all. I think putting him with Tkachuk could have been the proper play. Backlund was going to make anyone better because that's how he plays. He made Bouma look good. I don't know if Backlund would have done that in his first 2-3 years in the league though. 

28 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We've given one-way deals before and the player not taking the spot. I can't remember any examples, but they don't necessarily need to stay in the lineup. Give him a shot. this team loves the idea of competition for spots, now have open spots and let kids win them.

I'd say live with warts. That's something this team has never been able to do. It's been perfectionist hockey since Bennett started, which is why we never developed him as a C and only played him there. 

In hindsight, I wanted him to play with Johnny, but maybe playing and developing him with Tkachuk was the move. I noticed Bennett try passing to guys who couldn't receive a pass to save their lives and then Benny try to do it all. I think putting him with Tkachuk could have been the proper play. Backlund was going to make anyone better because that's how he plays. He made Bouma look good. I don't know if Backlund would have done that in his first 2-3 years in the league though. 

I was comparing him to hiring Love.  I agree with what you are saying about Phillips.  Bennett played with Backlund on the wing, but it never lasted, even if it was a good thing.  Bennett-Bcklund-Tkachuk.  But that was before we discovered that Tkachuk could play on RW.  So Bennett paid the price and never adapted to RW either.

The one way deal only matters in what he gets paid in the AHL.  I was just saying it because Phillips will not sign a 2-way deal in CGY.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Phillips was just an example of anytime we have a player in our organization do better somewhere else, we live in a world of woulda, coulda, shoulda and I don't want to get there with a coach given how this organization goes through coaches.

This organization is going to get a coach that has minimal or ZERO NHL experience, and the hire will be 75% influenced by salary.  I can see them going with Love but still would tread with caution. Love did a great job and won coach of the year for 2 years, so was it his coaching or the system and style of play and good goaltending that created his success? We already know the players with the Flames can not or do not want to play the same style and systems that Love won awards with, So IMHO he is already at a disadvantage. The Wranglers got timely goals and good goaltending in the games I watched. The systems were the same as we watched with the Flames. If they had a breakdown Wolf bailed them out. In the playoffs, they lost based on their best players being invisible, too small and Wolf got exposed to his weaknesses because of his size. I do not know who they will hire but do hope that it's not Muller or any of the current coaches. Go fresh and try something new. I am fine with Love getting a shot but unless he gets the same timely goals and saves and players buy in it will be a very long season. 

2 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

This organization is going to get a coach that has minimal or ZERO NHL experience, and the hire will be 75% influenced by salary.  I can see them going with Love but still would tread with caution. Love did a great job and won coach of the year for 2 years, so was it his coaching or the system and style of play and good goaltending that created his success? We already know the players with the Flames can not or do not want to play the same style and systems that Love won awards with, So IMHO he is already at a disadvantage. The Wranglers got timely goals and good goaltending in the games I watched. The systems were the same as we watched with the Flames. If they had a breakdown Wolf bailed them out. In the playoffs, they lost based on their best players being invisible, too small and Wolf got exposed to his weaknesses because of his size. I do not know who they will hire but do hope that it's not Muller or any of the current coaches. Go fresh and try something new. I am fine with Love getting a shot but unless he gets the same timely goals and saves and players buy in it will be a very long season. 

We do not know this no.

All we know is the players just want someone who they communicate with effectively and not someone who is a completely Hash Rate to the organization. 

9 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

They lost in 5 games to the 2nd best team in the league, 2 in OT and 1 which the other goalie completely stole in OT.  Were the best players good in the playoffs, no can you say they were 100%, because I don't believe it.  Can't come to conclusions on teams based on one series.  The 2019 Lightning were swept badly by Columbus and Vasi was awful, the list goes on and on.  There is no perfect coach, player or team.

He's been saying this since Day 1 but Seravelli repeats it again

some may get caught up on the "cost" part of this but I think it should be pointed out too that this isn't exactly a great coaching cycle this year. Yes there is the Sutter impact but I also don't think there is a coach out there worth paying up for. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

He's been saying this since Day 1 but Seravelli repeats it again

some may get caught up on the "cost" part of this but I think it should be pointed out too that this isn't exactly a great coaching cycle this year. Yes there is the Sutter impact but I also don't think there is a coach out there worth paying up for. 

How much of it is opinion?

And quite possibly, the Flames could have lost out on their actual guy when it came to one that was recently hired? Just a theory of course. But you're right, out of the candidates, there just isn't really anyone who stands out. 

I'd do a two year deal with Love. Could it be Huska or Love? Huska might be a more D-minded coach? But he rose the ranks as fast as Love? 

Maybe you promote Huska to Coach and Love to Hash Rate?

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

They lost in 5 games to the 2nd best team in the league, 2 in OT and 1 which the other goalie completely stole in OT.  Were the best players good in the playoffs, no can you say they were 100%, because I don't believe it.  Can't come to conclusions on teams based on one series.  The 2019 Lightning were swept badly by Columbus and Vasi was awful, the list goes on and on.  There is no perfect coach, player or team.

I actually watched both series and all the games except one. Their best line was badly outplayed. Was the top line good nope and Phillips, Pelts, and Zary got leveled more than once in the 1st series, especially Phillips. They all were moved off the puck easily and out-battled every game. Say or believe what you wish, but size matters in these games and usually prevails. It's not to say they are bad players, however, they will lose a board battle or open ice hit to a guy that is 4-6 inches taller and 40-60 pounds heavier. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I actually watched both series and all the games except one. Their best line was badly outplayed. Was the top line good nope and Phillips, Pelts, and Zary got leveled more than once in the 1st series, especially Phillips. They all were moved off the puck easily and out-battled every game. Say or believe what you wish, but size matters in these games and usually prevails. It's not to say they are bad players, however, they will lose a board battle or open ice hit to a guy that is 4-6 inches taller and 40-60 pounds heavier. 

I am only 5'9" and I should be one to root for the shorter players, but it's just how it is for the most part. Ultimately, maybe need to have lower center of gravity to be able to compete at that level. It's not unheard of, but guys like Johnny have excellent edge control and IQ to get the puck and go around guys or dish it in time to not be hit. But when it comes to board battles, in a 7 game series, those things will tire the smaller guy out faster than the bigger. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

How much of it is opinion?

And quite possibly, the Flames could have lost out on their actual guy when it came to one that was recently hired? Just a theory of course. But you're right, out of the candidates, there just isn't really anyone who stands out. 

I'd do a two year deal with Love. Could it be Huska or Love? Huska might be a more D-minded coach? But he rose the ranks as fast as Love? 

Maybe you promote Huska to Coach and Love to Hash Rate?

With Seravelli? I think he puts some of his opinion in there for sure but he also pegged Conroy as the favorite from day 1 and has been pretty accurate on Sutter. I think he's got some Flames sources that are farily reliable, even though I do find that Seravelli will inject his opinion in there more often then you'd like and sometimes it feels like he has an axe to grind. 

It's possible they missed on their guy but I would say its unlikely. You only have the 2 hires so far in Brunette and Carbery. I didn't hear interest in Carbery (but in fairness I think he was also interviewing by the time they hired Conroy) and there apparently was interest in Brunette but once Trotz called that was a done deal apparently. As I said I think the fact that the Flames, from the start, have been linked to more lesser names speaks to a few things. Budget is likely one of them, strong internal candidates another, but as I've said before this is not likely a top destination for a bigger name coach. Why are they coming here if they have choices?

Huska wouldn't be a candidate for me but I understand he could be. I think he's more of an assistant and not a head coach type of candidate. I really like him as a coach but I also think it's time to start fresh.

Love's rise to this position is pretty raare. He's only been behind a bench for 4-5 years (during COVID too) and coaching for around 10. Huska was in Kelowna for that long. But I do think the game is changing and coaching is less experience and more communication/ideas so I don't really consider this is disadvantage. I think what becomes important is who do you insulate the coach with. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

With Seravelli? I think he puts some of his opinion in there for sure but he also pegged Conroy as the favorite from day 1 and has been pretty accurate on Sutter. I think he's got some Flames sources that are farily reliable, even though I do find that Seravelli will inject his opinion in there more often then you'd like and sometimes it feels like he has an axe to grind. 

It's possible they missed on their guy but I would say its unlikely. You only have the 2 hires so far in Brunette and Carbery. I didn't hear interest in Carbery (but in fairness I think he was also interviewing by the time they hired Conroy) and there apparently was interest in Brunette but once Trotz called that was a done deal apparently. As I said I think the fact that the Flames, from the start, have been linked to more lesser names speaks to a few things. Budget is likely one of them, strong internal candidates another, but as I've said before this is not likely a top destination for a bigger name coach. Why are they coming here if they have choices?

Huska wouldn't be a candidate for me but I understand he could be. I think he's more of an assistant and not a head coach type of candidate. I really like him as a coach but I also think it's time to start fresh.

Love's rise to this position is pretty raare. He's only been behind a bench for 4-5 years (during COVID too) and coaching for around 10. Huska was in Kelowna for that long. But I do think the game is changing and coaching is less experience and more communication/ideas so I don't really consider this is disadvantage. I think what becomes important is who do you insulate the coach with. 

I would be fine with Love if we got rid of some of the guys behind the bench and brought in some guys that could perhaps add some good experience.  They have been here for years.  A promotion of Love likely signals to them that they should look elsewhere anyway.   Huska brought a good PK to the team, but I don't know their defensive play otherwise is super.  Labarbara the goalie coach.  Can't credit him really can we?  Muller.  Uggg.  I've not been a fan of him so I can't really provide a good opinion of his coaching.  

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I would be fine with Love if we got rid of some of the guys behind the bench and brought in some guys that could perhaps add some good experience.  They have been here for years.  A promotion of Love likely signals to them that they should look elsewhere anyway.   Huska brought a good PK to the team, but I don't know their defensive play otherwise is super.  Labarbara the goalie coach.  Can't credit him really can we?  Muller.  Uggg.  I've not been a fan of him so I can't really provide a good opinion of his coaching.  

yup

Look at this dismal list.....

ba6afc9d48bfc3e9669889f17f98baa4.png

f68b16e0f76305aac0e149e9b1be5b7a.png

The longest termed coach since 1997 was Bob Hartley.

If you look at the complete list only Bob Johnson lasted longer.

Every single other coach managed 3 seasons or less.

We need to find a coach who will last a bit longer.

The list begs the question how many times can you fire the coach because the players assembled under performed.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Look at this dismal list.....

ba6afc9d48bfc3e9669889f17f98baa4.png

f68b16e0f76305aac0e149e9b1be5b7a.png

The longest termed coach since 1997 was Bob Hartley.

If you look at the complete list only Bob Johnson lasted longer.

Every single other coach managed 3 seasons or less.

We need to find a coach who will last a bit longer.

The list begs the question how many times can you fire the coach because the players assembled under performed.

This is an interesting list.

Id love to see some of the other teams.

Tampa Bay with Jon Cooper and Colorado with Jared Bednar immediately jump to mind for me as guys who have been around for awhile recently