Head Coach

Ken Wells

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

When you don't promote directly, you run the risk of PO'ing the person.  Circling back to him is kinda an insult.  Also, he would have to wait at a minimum 2 years to get the chance for HC here.

should have offered him the Hash Rate coach right away

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Yup.  

On...the other hand.... if you're looking to rebuild, now is not the time for a competent coach.    I don't fault Conroy right now.   Need to see more of his plan.

Unfortunate that we couldn't keep him as an assistant but honestly we are probably 1-2 years out from even that Really mattering.  

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

From what I can gather returning to the Flames organization was low on his list after being passed up for the head coaching job, which I couldn't blame him.  I think it would've taken zero outside offers for him to take the Flames job.

Now they still need to round out the Flames coaching staff and find a new coach for the Wranglers.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Yup.  

On...the other hand.... if you're looking to rebuild, now is not the time for a competent coach.    I don't fault Conroy right now.   Need to see more of his plan.

Unfortunate that we couldn't keep him as an assistant but honestly we are probably 1-2 years out from even that Really mattering.  

On the third hand, the team was made by another person, so you need to see what a new direction looks like.  If Love was so tuned to Sutter, then it makes sense they didn't want to go there.  

I don't think Huska was the best choice, but we dragged it out too long to have a good choice.  

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

On the third hand, the team was made by another person, so you need to see what a new direction looks like.  If Love was so tuned to Sutter, then it makes sense they didn't want to go there.  

I don't think Huska was the best choice, but we dragged it out too long to have a good choice.  

I don't believe there was one.  Everyone out there had baggage.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well I agree, my top choice was Emily Ratjakowski.

I highly doubt there is a single person on here who was like 'obviously Huska'.   Most likely none of us got our way.

I should correct myself, it is the combination of not hiring Love, and hiring Huska, that to me is a tip-off for a rebuild.

Dennis Williams - Elite Prospects

Dennis Williams has been linked to the Wranglers HC job. He's an excellent coach. He's been the head coach of the Everett Silvertips for six years. One of those years was the covid bubble, short year, with no playoffs. In four of his five full seasons, the Silvertips amassed 96pts or more. For what it's worth, he mentored Mitch Love in Everett.

I mentioned Seattlle Thunderbirds HC Matt O'Dette during the Memorial Cup, Williams is very similar, both guys have built Seattle and Everett into powerhouse WHL franchises. 

The other name out there is Brent Kisio. Obvious ties to the Hitmen there. The track record isn't as flashy, but he's stabilized Lethbridge. The Hurricanes are in a much better spot than when he took that job. 

Marek and Friedman discussed the Calgary Flames’ organizational coaching vacancies | Yardbarker

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Dennis Williams - Elite Prospects

Dennis Williams has been linked to the Wranglers HC job. He's an excellent coach. He's been the head coach of the Everett Silvertips for six years. One of those years was the covid bubble, short year, with no playoffs. In four of his five full seasons, the Silvertips amassed 96pts or more. For what it's worth, he mentored Mitch Love in Everett.

I mentioned Seattlle Thunderbirds HC Matt O'Dette during the Memorial Cup, Williams is very similar, both guys have built Seattle and Everett into powerhouse WHL franchises. 

The other name out there is Brent Kisio. Obvious ties to the Hitmen there. The track record isn't as flashy, but he's stabilized Lethbridge. The Hurricanes are in a much better spot than when he took that job. 

Marek and Friedman discussed the Calgary Flames’ organizational coaching vacancies | Yardbarker

The Brad Pascall effect continues! Williams was the head coach for the World Juniors this past year. I think he is a solid coach. Not quite the up and comer that Love was, he's already 43 and his head coaching resume is good but not great, but he would be a solid choice. And from what I under it was Pascall who brought in Love so good reason to trust his judgment here. 

Staff fills out. if I had to guess:

Huska - Head coach

Marc Savard - Associate coach (forwards/PP)

Dan Lambert - D/PK

Maclean - eye in the sky/extra coach

Also seeing out there that both Gelinas and Labrabera will return. 

For what they are looking for (and probably more to the point willing to pay) that is a decent staff. It's light on experience and your hoping that Lambert can transition (he traditionally has been more of a PP guy) to the PK/D focus but he did get some good praise from some of the young D in nashville. I do think Lambert is a good coach, he took over for Huska in Kelowna and he kept that program at a really high level. Some solid reviews to his work in Nashville as well. 

47 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The Brad Pascall effect continues! Williams was the head coach for the World Juniors this past year. I think he is a solid coach. Not quite the up and comer that Love was, he's already 43 and his head coaching resume is good but not great, but he would be a solid choice. And from what I under it was Pascall who brought in Love so good reason to trust his judgment here. 

And if you look at the last few coaches of Calgary’s AHL teams, Huska (Flames Head Coach), MacLean (Flames Assistant Coach), Love (Capitals Assistant Coach), they have all graduated to the NHL. So if you are looking to progress your career coaching Calgary’s AHL affiliate is a good place to take that next step.