Matthew Coronato

Thebrewcrew

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Exciting day. I know many were skeptical, but Coronato, to his credit said he wanted to be a Flame from the moment he was drafted.

I do think he will be sitting for a bit. Until the team is eliminated.

Is he the next Matthew to wear 19?

The sooner we move on from the previous 19, the better.  

Call me crazy, but I would put him with Huberdeau and Backlund or on a 4th line of Pelletier-Ruzicka-Coronato.

Either way, Ritchie should come out.  He's a top 6 waste.

We are basically one WPG win and a CGY loss away from being eliminated.

Only 2 games this week, with VAN allowing the most time to get up to speed.

Maybe a setup like this would be good:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Pelletier-Kadri-Coronato

Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube

Coleman-Ruzicka-Duehr

If we hope to make the playoffs, we have to be surgical.  

Tuesday against LA could be the end of the season, but should at least do something.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Exciting day. I know many were skeptical, but Coronato, to his credit said he wanted to be a Flame from the moment he was drafted.

Woot!!!!!

ok. now what does this mean lol?   Firstly great news that we retained him.

Can he go to the AHL next year?   There's no question in my mind that he needs it, and that's not a knock on him.

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Great news.  I'm not sure he's ready to make an immediate impact but it's nice to know we've got a college prospect signed and committed to the Flames.  Looking forward to his Flames debut.

53 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Woot!!!!!

Can he go to the AHL next year?   There's no question in my mind that he needs it, and that's not a knock on him.

Optics would look bad to take him out of college only to play him in the AHL.  He could have done his development in college instead and finish his degree.

He's almost certainly NHL bound, maybe get a couple games this season to get a taste... and then full time NHLer next season.  

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Woot!!!!!

Yes

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Optics would look bad to take him out of college only to play him in the AHL.  He could have done his development in college instead and finish his degree.

He's almost certainly NHL bound, maybe get a couple games this season to get a taste... and then full time NHLer next season.  

I don’t think it’s that obvious. He’ll have to earn it and it won’t shock me at all is he is in the A next year. Think the incentive here is burning the year and starting the clock on his next contract 

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don’t think it’s that obvious. He’ll have to earn it and it won’t shock me at all is he is in the A next year. Think the incentive here is burning the year and starting the clock on his next contract 

Well... he's "earned it" that's why he was offered an NHL contract.  For us to turn around and be like, "psych, you playing one year in AHL"... that's a bad look.  Why ask him to earn it again.  That's why he was signed in the first place.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Well... he's "earned it" that's why he was offered an NHL contract.  For us to turn around and be like, "psych, you playing one year in AHL"... that's a bad look.  Why ask him to earn it again.  That's why he was signed in the first place.

why is it a bad look? He was offered and signed the standard  ELC all first round picks would get. No different than Zary, Pelletier or any other of their first round picks. 

no reason he should be treated differently.The only reason he can’t go to the AHL is he wasn’t on the AHL roster at the deadline. Has nothing to do with his contract. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

why is it a bad look? He was offered and signed the standard  ELC all first round picks would get. No different than Zary, Pelletier or any other of their first round picks. 

no reason he should be treated differently.The only reason he can’t go to the AHL is he wasn’t on the AHL roster at the deadline. Has nothing to do with his contract. 

No, I meant AHL next season.

It's a bad look to play him in the AHL all next season because he could've stayed in college and then go UFA in two years if both parties felt he wasn't ready yet right away.  Like it or not, that's the bargaining leverage a college player has against a small market Canadian team like the Flames.  And so, obviously both sides felt he's ready right now.  And if not right now, then certainly to start next season.  And thus, it's a jerk move to not give him NHL time next season and give him the "you have to earn it" thing.

1. If he hasn't earned it then why give him the NHL contract right now?  Don't waste his time.

2. You run the risk of getting into a Valimaki situation again.  Piss off a good prospect.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It's a bad look to play him in the AHL all next season because he could've stayed in college and then go UFA in two years if both parties felt he wasn't ready yet right away.  Like it or not, that's the bargaining leverage a college player has against a small market Canadian team like the Flames.  And so, obviously both sides felt he's ready right now.  And if not right now, then certainly to start next season.  And thus, it's a jerk move to not give him NHL time next season and give him the "you have to earn it" thing.

1. If he hasn't earned it then why give him the NHL contract right now?  Don't waste his time.

2. You run the risk of getting into a Valimaki situation again.  Piss off a good prospect.

thing is, does a rather smallish, almost Mangiapane-sized player (by height) have this pull when they're just 41st in scoring and just barely a point per game?

I would think personally they make the move which gives them the best shot at the NHL which is probably signing, but may start in the AHL.    I could be totally wrong.

And in terms of optics, I suppose I agree, the Flames always like to showcase their first round picks rather than develop them.  So you could be right, and, that has me really afraid if he ends up totally stuck in a role he's not ready for and can't get out of.  Possibly with Sutter as coach (we'll see).

I'm loving the AHL idea right now, and just bring him up when he's ready.  It would be different if he was 6'5.    He's not.

But I guess we will see soon enough.

20 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

thing is, does a rather smallish, almost Mangiapane-sized player (by height) have this pull when they're just 41st in scoring and just barely a point per game?

I would think personally they make the move which gives them the best shot at the NHL which is probably signing, but may start in the AHL.    I could be totally wrong.

And in terms of optics, I suppose I agree, the Flames always like to showcase their first round picks rather than develop them.  So you could be right, and, that has me really afraid if he ends up totally stuck in a role he's not ready for and can't get out of.  Possibly with Sutter as coach (we'll see).

I'm loving the AHL idea right now, and just bring him up when he's ready.  It would be different if he was 6'5.    He's not.

Mangiapane's a bad comparison. His center of gravity and shot release are far better. He won't be the falldown king.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Zary and Pelletier say hi.

A better statement would have been "Flames love to showcase their top 10 picks rather than develop them".

Most if not all teams do, especially top 5.

Some of the players choose to go to college for a year instead of NHL right out of the draft.

Or they stay in Europe for many reasons, contract or otherwise.

Difficult to compare F in the NCAA.

Gaudreau was nothing special in his first two NCAA years.

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Zary and Pelletier say hi.

A better statement would have been "Flames love to showcase their top 10 picks rather than develop them".

Most if not all teams do, especially top 5.

Some of the players choose to go to college for a year instead of NHL right out of the draft.

Or they stay in Europe for many reasons, contract or otherwise.

Difficult to compare F in the NCAA.

Gaudreau was nothing special in his first two NCAA years.

Yes he was. He finished his freshman year 1pt behind team leader, junior Chris Kreider.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Think this is really making a mountain out of a molehill. 

why do it now? leverage. The Flames leverage in all of this was they can offer him something no other team can, and that was to sign him this year so he can burn the year and start the clock on his 2nd contract. If they didn't do that now they lose really the only leverage they had. I think this year was key because you wait until next spring  your 1 year clsoer to him being a UFA. Now only does that give ideas, your really reduce your own leverage. Had Coronato turned them down this spring then I think a trade as an option but that leverage is greatly reduced by this time next year. 

AHL>>>>>NCAA in terms of his development (especially in the div Harvard plays in). This is furthering his development not wasting his time. 

Coronato wins in all this too. He just got a signing bonus and he essentially just got a free year of service time. So now he is off his ELC 1 year earlier so he is 1 year closer to earning more real money and he got to do it while being in college. Bit of a win/win for him. 

I'm not even suggesting he needs to go to the A. I personally think he does but we'll see but I think this discussion is just getting so far ahead of where we actually are. ELC are pretty much always just procedural and I don't think there is much to look into other than that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Think this is really making a mountain out of a molehill. 

why do it now? leverage. The Flames leverage in all of this was they can offer him something no other team can, and that was to sign him this year so he can burn the year and start the clock on his 2nd contract. If they didn't do that now they lose really the only leverage they had. I think this year was key because you wait until next spring  your 1 year clsoer to him being a UFA. Now only does that give ideas, your really reduce your own leverage. Had Coronato turned them down this spring then I think a trade as an option but that leverage is greatly reduced by this time next year. 

AHL>>>>>NCAA in terms of his development (especially in the div Harvard plays in). This is furthering his development not wasting his time. 

Coronato wins in all this too. He just got a signing bonus and he essentially just got a free year of service time. So now he is off his ELC 1 year earlier so he is 1 year closer to earning more real money and he got to do it while being in college. Bit of a win/win for him. 

I'm not even suggesting he needs to go to the A. I personally think he does but we'll see but I think this discussion is just getting so far ahead of where we actually are. ELC are pretty much always just procedural and I don't think there is much to look into other than that. 

It's a win-win for everyone.

Sadly, now I'm just waiting for everyone to blame Sutter for not playing him every time we lose from here on out.lol

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yes he was. He finished his freshman year 1pt behind team leader, junior Chris Kreider.

Okay, so Gaudreau was 21g, 23a in 44 games in his frosh year.

Coronato was 18g, 18a in 34 games.

My point was in response to JJ, who said Coronato was nothing special.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Sadly, now I'm just waiting for everyone to blame Sutter for not playing him every time we lose from here on out.lol

First off I'm glad to say I was wrong About Coronato should have bet me any way I hope Calgary loses every game that gives us a desent pick this up coming Draft if we managed to get into the play offs we wouldn't get far with this goalie tandem so no quality pick and nothing to show for it I want the opertunity for high quality pick next yr we don't have a first I believe because we bought a stupid sell out Mony which I will never understand?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I would suggest that the more likely thing is he plays, we lose, then he sits.

This season is a lost cause, no matter how technically we haven't been eliminated is.

I really don't care who plays at this point.

Figure out what in direction the team is heading.

From season finish to garbage day interview to GM decisions to draft to camp.

What are we trying to build? 

16 minutes ago, zima said:

First off I'm glad to say I was wrong About Coronato should have bet me any way I hope Calgary loses every game that gives us a desent pick this up coming Draft if we managed to get into the play offs we wouldn't get far with this goalie tandem so no quality pick and nothing to show for it I want the opertunity for high quality pick next yr we don't have a first I believe because we bought a stupid sell out Mony which I will never understand?

If we squeak into the playoffs (and lose round 1) or miss by a point, there isn't a lot of difference in the draft number we get.  We just lose out on a small chance (1.5% or something) of moving up 10 spots. 16 gets you a small chance at 6th overall.  17th is close to 16th. 

As far as next year's pick, it depends.  MTL only can get it if it's 20th to 32nd.  And they don't have to.  Otherwise they get the 2025 pick (best between FLA and our own).  Confusing, but we traded a conditional 2025 1st to MTL.       

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

If we squeak into the playoffs (and lose round 1) or miss by a point, there isn't a lot of difference in the draft number we get.  We just lose out on a small chance (1.5% or something) of moving up 10 spots. 16 gets you a small chance at 6th overall.  17th is close to 16th. 

As far as next year's pick, it depends.  MTL only can get it if it's 20th to 32nd.  And they don't have to.  Otherwise they get the 2025 pick (best between FLA and our own).  Confusing, but we traded a conditional 2025 1st to MTL.       

Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Jets get a top 3 pick even though they were around top 15 in picks before draft balls ?

9 minutes ago, zima said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Jets get a top 3 pick even though they were around top 15 in picks before draft balls ?

they changed the draft rules this year. I wish they didn't because this team needs a fresh dynamic player and winning the lotto would help a lot. 

6 minutes ago, zima said:

Rules since then have changed.

There used to be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd lotto.

That year the finish before lotto was

1) TOR

2) EDM

3) VAN

4) CBJ

5) CGY

6) WPG

7) ARI

WPG jumped to 2nd, CBJ jumped to 3rd and TOR won 1st, but didn't change order.

When NY got 1st overall, they jumped from 14th overall to 1st.

They changed it last year to only jumping a max of 10 spots.