2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

IMO, Reinbacher, Wallinder, and Sandin-pellikka have Hanifin-level potential.  That is, they top out as a complementary first pair D.  They alone are not elite.  They are not Makar/Heiskanen level.

So, we buy time by swapping Hanifin for a pick and drafting one of those 3 D.  STL gets Hanifin and basically skips having to develop those kids into the next Hanifin.

Really depends if said teams want to win immediately or in 3 to 5 years.

I'm not ready to commit my opinion on those D yet so not disagreeing or agreeing on their upside at this point.  Waiting until the last second lol.

If it's like you say and they are a Hanifin value equivlent, and we're swapping a 26 year old Hanifin for an 18 year old one, I think you do it.  Reasons:

1.  Get another shot at teaching them how defence works

2.  Like @cross16 says, Hanifin's heading into UFA.  I tend to agree, we'd be lucky to get a trade like this done.

2.  ELC

3.   Better picks in 2024+ 
4.  RHS D arguably most valuable position in hockey even if they are just sort of first line.

4.  Build out from the net.  What's the point in getting a top forward if we got no D when they mature?

I'm guessing at this point, but out of the 3 I feel one of them is better than you expect, one of them is like you say, and one of them is far far worse and will never see the NHL lol.

It's a matter of getting a trade like this done AND then picking the right one out of those 3 (or 4)

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Oof then how about Weegar to the Canucks for the 11oa?  Weegar NTC doesn't kick in until July 1st.  Canucks need a RHS RD so badly.

We can extend Hanifin to keep some balance on D (I would trade him too but we still want to win apparently).

Why, what do you need D for lol?

I do feel very much like fans (not all here, I'm broadly generalizing) are like " sell some D and we can bounce back!"

lol cause D don't do anything anyway right?

man. 

If Conory is silent-rebuilding, like I hope....     look for him to trade the D for picks/prospects and get a nod from the fans because we didn't need D anyway.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I personally don't think your getting a top 10 pick in this draft via trade and i'm not sure there is a player the Flames have that can change that. It's just too strong of a draft and I don't think GMs are going to be anxious to trade picks. 

could be wrong, just my opinion. I don't see why the Canucks are going to send a top 10 pick for a 30 year old man. Yes they did it recently but it's also blown up in their face. 

Speaking of which

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

I can't believe the playoffs just ended and we haven't traded everyone yet.  You have no patience for the offseason, how can you handle a rebuild.

I want us to spend 5 years in the basement. I just have no patience waiting to get there.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Why, what do you need D for lol?

I do feel very much like fans (not all here, I'm broadly generalizing) are like " sell some D and we can bounce back!"

lol cause D don't do anything anyway right?

man. 

If Conory is silent-rebuilding, like I hope....     look for him to trade the D for picks/prospects and get a nod from the fans because we didn't need D anyway.

I don't want to bounce back.  This isn't a Cup team so stop wasting time trying to win with this group.  Retool hardcore.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

This will be the Flames and Kadri in about 3 years.  The moment Kadri signed for 7 years, we all knew.

The Flames didn't knowingly trade a top 10 pick though, and even in the whole mess of the Monahan trade conditions I don't believe they can give up a top 10 pick (I could be wrong on that one, way too many conditions).  Bad signings are one thing, giving up good assets to acquire bad contracts is on a different level.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don’t agree. I don’t think you realize how bad OEL is. 

Van was so desperate to lose Loui Eriksson that they completely lost their minds as well. The trade isn't even over yet.

SJ has Van's 7th rder this year now. Should they happen to pick a defenceman, he will instantly be the best dman from that trade.

• Like 1

Calgary Flames draft 2023

Rank based on availability and preferences:

1. Andrew Cristall

2. Tom Willander

3. Colby Barlow

4. Dmitri Simashev

5. David Reinbacher

6. Braden Yager

7. Ryan Leonard, Gabe Perreault

9. Quentin Musty

10. Nate Danielson, Mikhail Gulyayev

12. Samuel Honzek

13. Axel Sandin Pelikka

14. Eduard Sale

15. Matthew Wood

16. Gracyn Sawchyn

17. Daniil But

18. Ethan Gauthier (33)

19. Calum Ritchie

20. Riley Heidt, David Edstrom, Otto Stenberg, Jayden Perron, Gavin Brindley

Top 32 draft printout

1. Connor Bedard

2. Adam Fantilli

3. Leo Carlsson

4. Matvei Michkov

5. Will Smith

6. Zach Benson

7. Ryan Leonard 

8. Oliver Moore

9. Dalibor Dvorsky

10. Axel Sandin Pellikka

11. David Reinbacher

12. Matthew Wood

13. Colby Barlow

14. Gabe Perreault

15. Dmitri Simashev

16. Eduard Sale

17. Braden Yager

18. Andrew Cristall

19. Tom Willander

20. Nate Danielson

21. Quentin Musty

22. Calum Ritchie

23. Otto Stenberg

24. Samuel Honzek

25. Gavin Brindley

26. Daniil But

27. Mikhail Gulyayev

28. Riley Heidt

29. David Edstrom

30. Gracyn Sawchyn

31. Bradley Nadeau

32. Kasper Halttunen

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NggbxiMxVwdMgglW6hpCyv5ufwajo9unarG3BTqKHHM/edit

• Like 2

12 hours ago, V1nny83at5 said:

Calgary Flames draft 2023

Rank based on availability and preferences:

1. Andrew Cristall

2. Tom Willander

3. Colby Barlow

4. Dmitri Simashev

5. David Reinbacher

6. Braden Yager

7. Ryan Leonard, Gabe Perreault

9. Quentin Musty

10. Nate Danielson, Mikhail Gulyayev

12. Samuel Honzek

13. Axel Sandin Pelikka

14. Eduard Sale

15. Matthew Wood

16. Gracyn Sawchyn

17. Daniil But

18. Ethan Gauthier (33)

19. Calum Ritchie

20. Riley Heidt, David Edstrom, Otto Stenberg, Jayden Perron, Gavin Brindley

Top 32 draft printout

1. Connor Bedard

2. Adam Fantilli

3. Leo Carlsson

4. Matvei Michkov

5. Will Smith

6. Zach Benson

7. Ryan Leonard 

8. Oliver Moore

9. Dalibor Dvorsky

10. Axel Sandin Pellikka

11. David Reinbacher

12. Matthew Wood

13. Colby Barlow

14. Gabe Perreault

15. Dmitri Simashev

16. Eduard Sale

17. Braden Yager

18. Andrew Cristall

19. Tom Willander

20. Nate Danielson

21. Quentin Musty

22. Calum Ritchie

23. Otto Stenberg

24. Samuel Honzek

25. Gavin Brindley

26. Daniil But

27. Mikhail Gulyayev

28. Riley Heidt

29. David Edstrom

30. Gracyn Sawchyn

31. Bradley Nadeau

32. Kasper Halttunen

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NggbxiMxVwdMgglW6hpCyv5ufwajo9unarG3BTqKHHM/edit

Thanks for this. Interesting to see how each player is analyzed. For forwards, you can’t teach hockey sense or play making skills so if Cristall or Perrault is available at 16 it would be good. Most young players legs don’t develop until their early 20’s so skating can be worked on.

Willander looks ok for defender. Another Hanifin? Doubt Reinbacher is available by then. I wonder if the draft will see a run on centers or defensemen so we can sneak a good player due to the fear of missing out by other teams.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

They sure hate Simashev and Misty.

Write ups focus on U18 a ton. A ton of overrating based on that. Like what, “what dynamic skill vs U18 Slovakia”?

”Exemplary against lesser teams”?

So are the captains of Atom teams…

The play is so disjointed that it’s barely above pond hockey. At least half of the goals aren’t goals in actual leagues.

58 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Write ups focus on U18 a ton. A ton of overrating based on that. Like what, “what dynamic skill vs U18 Slovakia”?

”Exemplary against lesser teams”?

So are the captains of Atom teams…

The play is so disjointed that it’s barely above pond hockey. At least half of the goals aren’t goals in actual leagues.

If it's bad, you'll probably see many elements of it in the draft lol.

You see how they just destroyed all the D?   What would you do in this case?

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I've done it!! I've found the worst list that I've yet to see!

Looks almost purely based on the U18 tourney...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/scouts-analysis-final-ranking-of-the-top-80-prospects-for-the-2023-nhl-draft/

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

They sure hate Simashev and Misty.

Simashev at 31 sounds about right though.  Doesn't wow.  Just a big D who can skate, which is a rare combo.

Musty... 190/200 lbs.  Maybe scouts look at him as a bigger kid dominating children and he wouldn't experience the same success at the NHL level.  Meanwhile Danielson and Ritchie could still add another 25 lbs of muscle to their frames and take their game to the next level.  And LHS LW drops his value. 

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Simashev at 31 sounds about right though.  Doesn't wow.  Just a big D who can skate, which is a rare combo.

Musty... 190/200 lbs.  Maybe scouts look at him as a bigger kid dominating children and he wouldn't experience the same success at the NHL level.  Meanwhile Danielson and Ritchie could still add another 25 lbs of muscle to their frames and take their game to the next level.  And LHS LW drops his value. 

Trying to figure out if they hate Russians or defencemen.

I wanna say Russians but they knocked Willander down pretty good too.

I do actually think we'll see things this dumb on draft day.  Usually do.

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Trying to figure out if they hate Russians or defencemen.

I wanna say Russians but they knocked Willander down pretty good too.

I do actually think we'll see things this dumb on draft day.  Usually do.

Let's hope the dumb ones stay dumb throughout the coure of the next 5 years.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Musty's frame is broad. He can easily carry another 20lbs. Plus he has better hands and handles the puck well. Pro-rated over a full season is the top point-getter in the O for draftees. Not quite sure what they're missing. Simashev at 31 is fine if only Reinbacher is in the top 30. Zero chance Willander will be better, and I like Willander. But Musty at 47 is outrageous when he has the potential to be better than Leonard. Swapping roster spots would make it obvious.

Could Perrault and Leonard have separately thrown up 100pts in the O? I have my doubts. It's a league full of drafted 18-20yos and you're not on an allstar team in comparison to your competition.