GDT - FLAMES @ Stars - Saturday 14 January 2023 - 12PM MT

rocketdoctor

15 hours ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

it also comes into account the way the team is playing in front of the goalie on a given night Marky or vlady can have a stellar night but if the team isnt playing proper infront of them it really doesnt matter how each one plays

Well, I have noticed some recent things that seem to plague both goalies.

Vladar plays great, the team sucks. 

Vladar plays poorly but the team scores.

Marky plays great and the team is asleep for a period.

Marky plays just okay but the team can't score enough.

Marky plays great and the team scores.

When Vladar play, we seem to score more and give up less.

When Vladar lets in more than 3, we get points in most games.

When Marky plays, we score less and the other team keeps it close.

When Marky gives up more than 3, we generally lose.

These are observations and doesn't suggest who was really at fault in the games.

My preference is not close games right now.

Score more and give up less.

Whomever can do that on a given night should get the start.

If a goalie has played 3, they probably shouldn't play next game.

A backup shouldn't be sitting for more than a week at a time.

Vladar sat for more than 2 weeks and only got in due to the CHI game.

They went right back to Markstrom and gave up 2 in the 3rd and 1 in OT.

Vladar had 2 good games (1 and 2/3 games actually) and one so-so game to finish. 

Couple of things:

If it seems like the Flames hit the post/crossbar a lot, it’s because they do. Obscure stat, I know, but on Saturday the Flames took the league lead with their 49th shot off the iron - one more than Fla and Wash. Toffoli is tied for the league lead w 4 off the crossbar.

Dan Vladar is in a 7-0-3 tear, but when I asked Sutter if that changed his starting goalie approach he said Vladar got Saturdays start because it was an afternoon game, and, “it gets Marky ready for the next stretch of games.”

If Markstrom is starting tonight against Nashville, Flames will need to get at least 5 to win.  He will probably let in 1 or 2 questionable ones and any other goals will simply be because of the way the team plays when he starts. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm just going with how he's played so far this year.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:01 PM, CheersMan said:

Duehr looks fine, Ruzicka too, so much for the argument “DS doesn’t give young guys opportunity BS”.

Something else I liked this game was Backlund on the PP, he worked along the half boards nicely and created opportunities. Maybe it was just a poor DAL PK, I don’t know.

Flames probably didn’t deserve 6 and Stars probably didn’t deserve 5, I felt we deserved the 2 pts though. We got Wedgewood they got Vladar, it was a saw off in net.

I agree, the Flames aren’t scarring anyone with the lead. We need to relearn how to shut teams down.

when you're young, you gotta be big.

5 minutes ago, taz89 said:

If Markstrom is starting tonight against Nashville, Flames will need to get at least 5 to win.  He will probably let in 1 or 2 questionable ones and any other goals will simply be because of the way the team plays when he starts. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm just going with how he's played so far this year.

I don't feel that way before a game, unless I have seen something the game right before.

Markstrom had the last two games off, so he will be fighting to keep the net.

I find (myself) that he plays poorly the more games in a row he plays.

The other thing is that the team is scoring more recently.

20 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

when you're young, you gotta be big.

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

On this team.

There isn't even a year in age gap between Dube and Ruzicka yet there is 5 inches and almost 30 lbs between them.  One is in the coaches good graces the other may never get there, yet its the smaller guy who is, go figure.

4 minutes ago, sak22 said:

There isn't even a year in age gap between Dube and Ruzicka yet there is 5 inches and almost 30 lbs between them.  One is in the coaches good graces the other may never get there, yet its the smaller guy who is, go figure.

So, here's the skinny that I am aware of.

When Sutter took over, he said Dube should have spent more time before playing up in CGY.

He was critical of Dube for a long time.

He said Dube was the most improved player this year.

One player has many years of NHL time and the other doesn't.

What recent NHL player is small like Dube and Mange.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

When Sutter took over, he said Dube should have spent more time before playing up in CGY.

On the team?  None, have there been opportunities?  Not really we've been one of the healthiest teams over the past 2 years.  That's how they get their opportunities based on the makeup of the roster, either a player needs to play his way off like Rooney or get injured, really nobody else has played their way off the roster.  What is happening here is pretty much par for the course for competing teams.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

One has also worked to improve his d zone coverage, consistency and his physicality. One is still trying to find all of that.  

Anyway, I'm gonna stop commenting on this thread.

Last 2 games were wins.  Points in last 5 games, 8 out of possible 10.

Whatever the lines and goalies are, we need to continue to win.

even with Oilers with a game in hand.

5 back of LA with 2 in hand.

5 back of DEA, but they have two in hand.

6 hours ago, sak22 said:

On the team?  None, have there been opportunities?  Not really we've been one of the healthiest teams over the past 2 years.  That's how they get their opportunities based on the makeup of the roster, either a player needs to play his way off like Rooney or get injured, really nobody else has played their way off the roster.  What is happening here is pretty much par for the course for competing teams.

I was listening to Francis on the radio. I know, grain of salt. He was saying how horrible some guys limp around the room after practice or after a game and he's like, how is this guy playing. I wouldn't say the team is the healthiest, just that our team has a culture of "playing through it." I don't know whether that is great or hinderance. Is it noble or is it not enabling the kids to get useful experience in real games?

35 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I was listening to Francis on the radio. I know, grain of salt. He was saying how horrible some guys limp around the room after practice or after a game and he's like, how is this guy playing. I wouldn't say the team is the healthiest, just that our team has a culture of "playing through it." I don't know whether that is great or hinderance. Is it noble or is it not enabling the kids to get useful experience in real games?

pretty much all of pro sports has this mindset. This isn’t a flames thing. 

Not sayings it’s right or wrong (it’s mostly wrong IMO) but it’s just so far removed from being a Flames culture. 

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

pretty much all of pro sports has this mindset. This isn’t a flames thing. 

Not sayings it’s right or wrong (it’s mostly wrong IMO) but it’s just so far removed from being a Flames culture. 

why is it some teams have 8 guys out? We almost never have more than one guy out, sometimes there's two.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

why is it some teams have 8 guys out? We almost never have more than one guy out, sometimes there's two.

injuries are very random so drawing a conclusion there is going to be near impossible. If organizations were good or bad with injury management you’d see consistency but you don’t. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Severity of injury.  St. Louis is really the big team and that consists of Scandella who hasn't even played a game this year, Perunovich who broke his clavicle in preseason, O'Reilly with a broken foot, a broken hand for Tarasenko and Krug who is expected to miss a lot of time.  I think these are more drastic than guys walking with limps.  I think conclusions get drawn because of Monahan, but lets remember last year Kylington missed time after he went hard into the boards, Pitlick never really got going with the team because he missed so much time early because of injury, Tanev sat for game 7, considering how much Sutter loves Ritchie, he has still missed over 50 games due to injury the last 2 years.  Perhaps next year we're in St. Louis boat or maybe we'll have another year like 1999 where we go through 7 or 8 goalies