GDT - Devils @ FLAMES - Saturday 5 November 2022

Heartbreaker

Pretty questionable coaching to bench Backlund for the 3rd period and then use him on the PK in OT. Backlund is the one who can’t stop the cross ice pass. 

flames really need to find themselves on this road trip but not a lot going right for them right now. They were better tonight but the devils were the better team overall 

The look off. Hubredeau looks to be trying to hard. Failed passes, can't take a pass hesitiates on everything. Weegar appears to be getting more settled in. Mackey just looks lost out there may he can't handle the pressure. The guys he stapeled to the bench finally. I don't think Sutter has lost the room I would say the room has lost Sutter. This is not a coaching issue its 100% a player issue. 

34 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The look off. Hubredeau looks to be trying to hard. Failed passes, can't take a pass hesitiates on everything. Weegar appears to be getting more settled in. Mackey just looks lost out there may he can't handle the pressure. The guys he stapeled to the bench finally. I don't think Sutter has lost the room I would say the room has lost Sutter. This is not a coaching issue its 100% a player issue. 

I think that they are dealing with a lot of pressure. The pressure to have similar success to last year despite losing 2/3 of one of the best lines in hockey. Believing they replace Johnny with a better more complete playmaking winger. And now having better than most center depth, not to mention adding a solid borderline 1st pairing D. 
I have been saying it in the past week but Kadri is a guy who has learned to rise to occasions. Let him be your #1C, give him Mang and Lindy (for now) to settle back in to some roles.

Leave Backs, Coleman, and Toffoli to do all your heavy lifting. 
Then give Hubie, Ruzie and Dube “to allow him to mentor those two”, he has always been a second line guy and elevated others games. Let him keep doing that.

And please let Looch-Rooney-Ritchie be the energy line they can be. 

We also might need to go after them hat guy in the desert on d, because the depth we thought we had is looking bleak.

3 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Some comments.  Huberdeau is more used to the East, ehich is a lot of open ice.

The Flames tend to play more in traffic, so he has to get more used to it.

There may be some conditioning issues or the altitude is still affecting him.

But he seems to lack energy at times and tries to dangle to make the play.

Gets burned.

Mackey better as game wore on, but he was the odd man out at times.

No Stone so we have some issues.

Lucic didn't play in the 3rd and Backlund didn't play a lot in the 2nd.

Sutter was talking about emotion and playing hard.

Some guys seemed to be soft on pucks and players.