Kylington/Ruzicka

conundrumed

Is it safe to talk about this yet without rumours?

Kylington on personal leave is now over a month. No timetable for a return, just a shroud of silence. I’ll leave it at that.

5 games deep and not a shift for Ruzicka. How long can this last with our closest prospect? He needs playing time but is a risky waive to get it for him.

Tough gig for a young guy on the borderline. Can’t be helping his confidence. Thoughts?

I'm not sure why Ruzie is not getting in.  It's not like Rooney and Lewis are killing it.

I like Rooney on the PK though.

And He hasn't been a problem.

Lewis has not impressed me so far.

He's not cast right on the 3rd line.

I get that Lewis is a safe player.

He does what he does.

He isn't helping scoring, and the one goal he scored was off the ref and a good pass.

Sutter will get Ruzie in soon enough.

Kylington is distressing.

No timeline and no word.

He could help stabilize the situation on defense.

55 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not sure why Ruzie is not getting in.  It's not like Rooney and Lewis are killing it.

I like Rooney on the PK though.

And He hasn't been a problem.

Lewis has not impressed me so far.

He's not cast right on the 3rd line.

I get that Lewis is a safe player.

He does what he does.

He isn't helping scoring, and the one goal he scored was off the ref and a good pass.

Sutter will get Ruzie in soon enough.

Kylington is distressing.

No timeline and no word.

He could help stabilize the situation on defense.

I think we can all agree that it’s distressing and shouldn’t lead to more questions than answers.

But here we are. He’ll be asked mightily when he comes back. Yet zero getting ahead of it, like ie isn’t even in the cards.

Unfortunately this is what you get when you hire Sutter. I'm not trying to criticize (everybody has pros and cons) but I think he's stuck in the mindset that the only way young players play is they have to almost over prove themselves. I don't think Ruzicka had a good pre season but I wish Sutter had a longer leash when it came to young players. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Unfortunately this is what you get when you hire Sutter. I'm not trying to criticize (everybody has pros and cons) but I think he's stuck in the mindset that the only way young players play is they have to almost over prove themselves. I don't think Ruzicka had a good pre season but I wish Sutter had a longer leash when it came to young players. 

I don't think Rozie had any worse pre-season than a few players.  But Sutter always believes that pros don't have anything to prove, only the rookies do.  

That may be fair, but there's a big difference between a pro like Toffoli and Lewis.

To be fair with Lewis, the underlying stats show that he is off to a fairly strong start. He isn’t ever going to put up points, but as long he is getting in on the forecheck and getting the puck going in the right direction he is doing his job. 

Also the 4th line has been very solid to start the season, so there hasn’t been much reason to take anyone out of the lineup at this point.

I would like to see an upgrade at some point, and I know I have been vocal about getting someone other than Lewis in there, but he has been fine.

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think we can all agree that it’s distressing and shouldn’t lead to more questions than answers.

But here we are. He’ll be asked mightily when he comes back. Yet zero getting ahead of it, like ie isn’t even in the cards.

If he wants to talk about it fine.

None of my business.

I'm just worried where he hasn't had any practice.

I understand he can go to the AHL for conditioning.

But he lost out on the time when he shows up jacked.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

To be fair with Lewis, the underlying stats show that he is off to a fairly strong start. He isn’t ever going to put up points, but as long he is getting in on the forecheck and getting the puck going in the right direction he is doing his job. 

Also the 4th line has been very solid to start the season, so there hasn’t been much reason to take anyone out of the lineup at this point.

I would like to see an upgrade at some point, and I know I have been vocal about getting someone other than Lewis in there, but he has been fine.

Fine is fine, but I am looking for better than even goal differential.

Last year, we had Mangiapane killing it with Backs and Coleman.

At a certain point a move will have to be made to free up Kylington’s cap hit, but that’s only if he is going to be out for longer term.

I have no idea what is happening and I don’t want to speculate. Just hopefully everything is ok with him and his family and he gets back soon. We could use his transition ability.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Fine is fine, but I am looking for better than even goal differential.

Last year, we had Mangiapane killing it with Backs and Coleman.

Oh yeah, I get that, but Sutter trusts Lewis and Ruzicka has a long history of being inconsistent and his game doesn’t exactly translate to Sutter’s high pressure style.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

At a certain point a move will have to be made to free up Kylington’s cap hit, but that’s only if he is going to be out for longer term.

I have no idea what is happening and I don’t want to speculate. Just hopefully everything is ok with him and his family and he gets back soon. We could use his transition ability.

As I understand it, his salary is already calculated into the $81M cap.

And there is an unused roster spot.

So, I don't believe they have to do anything when he comes back.

Sutter is sly. Everything is deliberate. Right now Ruzi gets to practice with an NHL team and learn about being a pro. With a 4-1 start, the vets are showing how the ship needs to be run. I’m not worried about Ruzi getting game time at this point. A lot more goes into player development than just the on-ice product. Maybe Ruzi has some “character traits” to improve or something like that. Valimaki didn’t get gifted a spot because of his draft spot pedigree - Sutter wants to see the work. On the ice, off the ice, and especially between the ears. Trust the process. 🤓

The crickets with Kylington is strange, not a peek from anyone or a speculation, if and when he returns will be great but its going to take some time to get him into game shape. As for Ruzika who does he replace? Currently they are winning and its not like any one has been woefully dreadful to start the season. If I am not mistaken Ritchie has jsut a s many goals as Lindholm. Backs and Mags and 2 more than Hubie. Last game I thought Stone was out of his element he was -2 on the night and just can't keep pace with faster clubs. As Sutter has mentioned no one in the prospect pool has impressd him he really came donw on Mackey in the Buffalo loss as being a prospect but older than roster players.  I think you see Ruzika soon possibly in  a B2B but until somone goes down or has some huge  collapase he or Mackey will get many starts unless we see an injury. 

8 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The crickets with Kylington is strange, not a peek from anyone or a speculation, if and when he returns will be great but its going to take some time to get him into game shape. As for Ruzika who does he replace? Currently they are winning and its not like any one has been woefully dreadful to start the season. If I am not mistaken Ritchie has jsut a s many goals as Lindholm. Backs and Mags and 2 more than Hubie. Last game I thought Stone was out of his element he was -2 on the night and just can't keep pace with faster clubs. As Sutter has mentioned no one in the prospect pool has impressd him he really came donw on Mackey in the Buffalo loss as being a prospect but older than roster players.  I think you see Ruzika soon possibly in  a B2B but until somone goes down or has some huge  collapase he or Mackey will get many starts unless we see an injury. 

Sutter has been more critical with the team over a win than a loss.

We have wins because we are winning the special teams battle.

That's not a strategy for winning in the league, only when everything else is equal.

Buffalo was a lot of PK's and only one PP.

5 penalties for us and 1 against.

CAR was equal 4 each.

Vegas was 4 penaties for us and 6 for Vegas.

EDM was 4 each.

COL had 5 penalties and we had 4.

Last year we seemed to have way more penalties than PP's, but we were winning at 5v5.

This year not so much.  Yet

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, zima said:

Still no word about Kyl this is very weird I wonder if he is done and does his contract go towards our team ? 

frank Servelli was on the fan and he told Pat that he was in the Players' Assistance Program and continuing treatment. My bet is counselling/therapy. Maybe that injury did something to his brain, or was scary...

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

frank Servelli was on the fan and he told Pat that he was in the Players' Assistance Program and continuing treatment. My bet is counselling/therapy. Maybe that injury did something to his brain, or was scary...

Look at mine and Cross's comments in Lineup 22/23.

Cross points out a vald point.

4 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Yes the fact that he went from healthy scratch to a regular who pushed a million dollar player to the farm team, and hasn't scratched him since.  Pure hatred.

Sutter refuses to accept that a young kid is out scoring all his vets because it destroys his whole narrative about young players and veterans.  Ruzicka now rots on the 4th line.    

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sutter refuses to accept that a young kid is out scoring all his vets because it destroys his whole narrative about young players and veterans.  Ruzicka now rots on the 4th line.    

Sutter on Duehr - he has a role, only playing becuase Brett is out

On 4th line - they were good, well except on the 2nd goal, Rozie goes down doesn't get off fast.

It's not like the top 6 was great, but the only negatives about them was losing possession on the OT goal.Double standard.

The young guys need to......

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sutter on Duehr - he has a role, only playing becuase Brett is out

On 4th line - they were good, well except on the 2nd goal, Rozie goes down doesn't get off fast.

It's not like the top 6 was great, but the only negatives about them was losing possession on the OT goal.Double standard.

The young guys need to......

Give it maybe 15 or 20 more games on the 4th line and little points to show.  Ruzicka will be sent back down to the farm because "he needs more time", etc.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Give it maybe 15 or 20 more games on the 4th line and little points to show.  Ruzicka will be sent back down to the farm because "he needs more time", etc.

He may get scratched, but there is no sending him down.

Would get snapped up so quick off the wire.

I have been quick to criticize Lucic, but right now his offensive game is working.

Maybe his game without the puck is still so bad.

But the top line is looking stale again.

Maybe it's big teams they can't handle.

They were not good tonight.

The OT loss was one thing, but the team lost everything they built thrugh 2