GDT - Knights @ FLAMES - Tues 18 October 2022.

rocketdoctor

17 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

I believe somewhere in Brisbane, I know its a big country but another Flame fan for you there.

Yep, a little far from me in Canberra… but a very close friend will be moving to Brisbane in December. Who knows we may run in to one another when representing the Flames on my family trip up north. 

hopefully they enjoy their time here. 

Ok, so tonight was strong on forechecking and without another lights out goalie performance, the score could have been much higher.

is it me, or is Backlund playing with more confidence and drive!?!  I think this year he has consistent, supportive linemates focused not only on shut-down play, but pushing the offence as well.  It allows him more leeway to challenge the play when you trust your line.  Good go!!

Defense continues to look strong.

A bad blooper from Markstrom on the first goal, but he recovered to stay consistent.

Looking forward to more!!

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

This PP is gonna score a lot of goals this year. They just are so much better at hunting down pucks than in previous seasons.

I heard much about the competitive nature of Johnny Gaudreau during his tenure here, and while it showed at times I dont think it even comes close to the type of edge both Huberdeau and Kadri play with on every shift. Absolute leaders out there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I heard much about the competitive nature of Johnny Gaudreau during his tenure here, and while it showed at times I dont think it even comes close to the type of edge both Huberdeau and Kadri play with on every shift. Absolute leaders out there.

This right here is why i was never as high on JG…these two are monsters…having said it hat I was opposed to Kadri at first because of age and I had figured he’d be looking at 9+ mil…so having said that, I was wrong on 2 fronts both him and Huby are the type of players that seems to age well im not as worried about a 35-37 year old Huby or Kadri as i would be with a 30+ Monahan or Gaudreau…huby and Kadri have that hot burn competition fire like Iggy had…I don’t think either Monahan and more so Gaudreau has ever had that.

love this team build but it is definitely in need of a RW upgrade…or

two possibly, not A huge fan of

the Toffoil fit in the top 6 

not a huge fan of Manji at RW, 

not a huge fan of Dube in the top 6, definitely better at RW on the 3rd with Backlund and Coleman 

4th line has been amazing, my only worry is they are a bit older, can the withstand the full 82 game grind and then a long postseason? This is where moving Dube to the 3rd line makes a ton of sense so as Lewis and Ritchie can rotate and help keep them in top condition.

if we could land a better fit RW for the top 2 lines I’d be super happy, Toffoil…a guy I loved and wanted a few years ago is just not a good fit with the current team makeup, don’t get me wrong he’s still a great player…probably better than he’s showing currently, but he’s not as good as he could be with a different team…

Good comeback win.

Top line will get there but the bottom 6 looked good in this game.

Credit to the 4th line for drawing 4 penalties.

Work to be done but lots of reasons to be optimistic for the this season.

Oh and Oilers lost - makes me smile every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarasti said:

I don’t necessarily want to take away from Gaudreau and Tkachuk’s time as Flames as they were both elite players. That being said Gaudreau was limited due to his size, especially when it came to puck retrievals, Tkachuk was limited due to his skating. Huberdeau and Kadri have size and skating ability and both will skate through a wall to get the puck or make a play, it just adds a different dimension to this team.

They way I would compare it is, look at the way MacKinnon and McDavid differ. Both have elite skill and speed and there is no doubt that McDavid is the most dangerous player with the puck on his stick, but MacKinnon will end up with more Cup rings because he is willing to skate through a wall to get the puck or make a play, he is willing to put his body on the line to win, McDavid just isn’t. 

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

This right here is why i was never as high on JG…these two are monsters…having said it hat I was opposed to Kadri at first because of age and I had figured he’d be looking at 9+ mil…so having said that, I was wrong on 2 fronts both him and Huby are the type of players that seems to age well im not as worried about a 35-37 year old Huby or Kadri as i would be with a 30+ Monahan or Gaudreau…huby and Kadri have that hot burn competition fire like Iggy had…I don’t think either Monahan and more so Gaudreau has ever had that.

love this team build but it is definitely in need of a RW upgrade…or

two possibly, not A huge fan of

the Toffoil fit in the top 6 

not a huge fan of Manji at RW, 

not a huge fan of Dube in the top 6, definitely better at RW on the 3rd with Backlund and Coleman 

4th line has been amazing, my only worry is they are a bit older, can the withstand the full 82 game grind and then a long postseason? This is where moving Dube to the 3rd line makes a ton of sense so as Lewis and Ritchie can rotate and help keep them in top condition.

if we could land a better fit RW for the top 2 lines I’d be super happy, Toffoil…a guy I loved and wanted a few years ago is just not a good fit with the current team makeup, don’t get me wrong he’s still a great player…probably better than he’s showing currently, but he’s not as good as he could be with a different team…

And yet, I’ve been more impressed with both Dube and Toffoli’s play so far, in that they both seem to be more engaged this year.  Dube will go through mountains to get to the puck and has improved with his possession as well.  Toffoli looks more of a fit right now than he ever did last year.  He had the possibility of 2 added goals last night if it hadn’t been for a hot goalie!  More shots by T in the danger zone than we ever saw last year.  
I think we need to give it 10+games before dickering with the top lines, unless it grinds to a standstill.

Presently, the biggest change I would do is switch Lewis out for Ruzie.  That is the lightest impact on something that is progressing well, and gives Ruzie opportunity to grow into a stronger 200 ft player.  Backlund has proven to be a good mentor for younger players.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I don’t necessarily want to take away from Gaudreau and Tkachuk’s time as Flames as they were both elite players. That being said Gaudreau was limited due to his size, especially when it came to puck retrievals, Tkachuk was limited due to his skating. Huberdeau and Kadri have size and skating ability and both will skate through a wall to get the puck or make a play, it just adds a different dimension to this team.

They way I would compare it is, look at the way MacKinnon and McDavid differ. Both have elite skill and speed and there is no doubt that McDavid is the most dangerous player with the puck on his stick, but MacKinnon will end up with more Cup rings because he is willing to skate through a wall to get the puck or make a play, he is willing to put his body on the line to win, McDavid just isn’t. 

We are doing things a little differently and it shows.

Less low percentage shots.

More down low plays.

I like it.

1 hour ago, flames for life said:

Presently, the biggest change I would do is switch Lewis out for Ruzie.

26 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I would consider Lewis and Ritchie switch. Ruzie will be in at some time.

Ritchie helps make the 4th line.

I don't think that a guy skilled at forechecking and adding beef is the best option for a defensive shutdown line.

Backlund needs similar players to himself; those that move the puck forward and shut down players.

Ruzie has shown some of that in his limited play.

Lewis is plug and play and doesn't need to be in.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We are doing things a little differently and it shows.

Less low percentage shots.

More down low plays.

I like it.

that's what a friend who barely watches hockey says. They started watching the flames last playoffs and this is the thing they notice most, where the shots come from, so far. I hope that trend continues because while I liked that the flames played in the opponents End more often than not, I also felt the place shots were taken from weren't quality. And when we had high danger chances play died due to waiting too long or a shot missed or waited too long and only had a crest to shoot at...

i think it's the main difference. i don't know if that's coaching or willingness to get into the trenches. Monahan used to be there more often but his wrists took a beating. 

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

that's what a friend who barely watches hockey says. They started watching the flames last playoffs and this is the thing they notice most, where the shots come from, so far. I hope that trend continues because while I liked that the flames played in the opponents End more often than not, I also felt the place shots were taken from weren't quality. And when we had high danger chances play died due to waiting too long or a shot missed or waited too long and only had a crest to shoot at...

i think it's the main difference. i don't know if that's coaching or willingness to get into the trenches. Monahan used to be there more often but his wrists took a beating. 

I think we are yet to see the best.

Players are not passing on 2 on 1's.  Sometimes that is a good thing, but it makes the other team's job easier.

Overall, I think we are in a better place.