2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

The signing of Nino makes it less likely Nashville is the destination. Said earlier, they don't wanna pay anyone more than Josi, so unlikely there'd be a long term agreement there as well. 

It would be tough for LA to make the money work but they can make a very similar offer to the Eichel-VGK deal.

2023 1st

2024 2nd

Brandt Clarke

Alex Iaffalo

Matt Roy to make the money work.

I believe Arvidsson is having back surgery so that could buy LA time as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Tkachuk would have any interest in Minnesota. Probably a long shot. They may have the deepest prospect pool in the league right now.

Just an ugly cap situation for the next 3 years, I think it would be hard to navigate that one.  Maybe we can get their Gaudreau and force #13 on him.  I just think they don't really have bad contracts so any player they dump for cap reasons is good enough to decrease the quality of futures. 

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The signing of Nino makes it less likely Nashville is the destination. Said earlier, they don't wanna pay anyone more than Josi, so unlikely there'd be a long term agreement there as well. 

It would be tough for LA to make the money work but they can make a very similar offer to the Eichel-VGK deal.

2023 1st

2024 2nd

Brandt Clarke

Alex Iaffalo

Matt Roy to make the money work.

I believe Arvidsson is having back surgery so that could buy LA time as well.

I like this one.  The million dollar question though, if Tkachuk is a King, do we still boo Doughty?

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

I like this one.  The million dollar question though, if Tkachuk is a King, do we still boo Doughty?

Haha

I'd be reluctant to deal within the division. But for a player like Clarke I think you do it.

Iaffalo is an American so mass panic would ensue, which would make for some fun hot takes.

42 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

https://detroithockeynow.com/2022/07/21/detroit-red-wings-trade-matthew-tkachuk/

This article states the asking price for Tkachuk is a top forward, a premium prospect and a 1st.

He also mentions that he is hearing Robert Thomas as a potential offer. I doubt it, but St.Louis becomes my favourite target if he is available.

That price sounds about right.  Hard to see Thomas moved though.

One thing on Kyrou.

Regression is likely coming.

At 5 on 5, he scored 22 goals on an expected 14.7 goals. In all situations he had 27 goals on an expected 17.3. Give Kyrou some credit, finishing is a skill and he certainly did that in 21/22 and he has been a high shooting percentage player in his brief career.

The Blues weren't as stingy in 21/22. Kyrou's on ice corsi, fenwick and shots for % were well below 50%. The Blues were outchanced while he was on the ice as well. Once again a little puck-luck for STL, the Blues scored 60 at 5 on 5 with Kyrou on the ice, while they had an expected of 42 goals.

He's a good player and he brings an element of speed that the organization lacks. I would just be really cautious of having him as the headliner in this deal. He's a high end finisher but not much of a play-driver. He's on a fantastic deal for 22/23, but in a year he's got arb rights and might cost the Flames 7-8. I'd pass on that.

18 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

One thing on Kyrou.

Regression is likely coming.

At 5 on 5, he scored 22 goals on an expected 14.7 goals. In all situations he had 27 goals on an expected 17.3. Give Kyrou some credit, finishing is a skill and he certainly did that in 21/22 and he has been a high shooting percentage player in his brief career.

The Blues weren't as stingy in 21/22. Kyrou's on ice corsi, fenwick and shots for % were well below 50%. The Blues were outchanced while he was on the ice as well. Once again a little puck-luck for STL, the Blues scored 60 at 5 on 5 with Kyrou on the ice, while they had an expected of 42 goals.

He's a good player and he brings an element of speed that the organization lacks. I would just be really cautious of having him as the headliner in this deal. He's a high end finisher but not much of a play-driver. He's on a fantastic deal for 22/23, but in a year he's got arb rights and might cost the Flames 7-8. I'd pass on that.

I don't watch the Blues a ton but all of the profiles i've seen on Kyrou he profiles as a borderline elite offensive talent. Setup and finishing. The transition piece is what jumps out because Flames are losing a lot of that with Gaudreau. 

D is a problem though for sure. 

32 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think I'm prepared for the destination to be STL and a similar return to the Eichel deal

Kyrou

Neighbours

1st

2nd

Someone like NYI would have interest in Tarasenko I would imagine. Allows STL to recoup a couple picks too.

That's a fair return. It's got a premier forward, one decent prospect, and a 1st round pick in a deep draft.   We should be happy with that all things considered.

38 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think I'm prepared for the destination to be STL and a similar return to the Eichel deal

Kyrou

Neighbours

1st

2nd

Someone like NYI would have interest in Tarasenko I would imagine. Allows STL to recoup a couple picks too.

That would be a fantastic deal…hope we get that! If not Kyrou…heard Thomas’s name in there too…either would be good…though if it’s Thomas I doubt Neighbours is is the top

prospect…but wouldn’t that be amazing Thomas and Neighours+ A 1st and 2nd..

actually…the $ sensible move for St. Louis is Thomas vs Kyrou…then move Tero for either a Ctr or prospect/picks…NYI makes sense but…here is a thought…

Out  

Tachuck 

Monahan

In 

Thomas

Neigbours

1st

2nd 

Tero 

Tero could be a great shot term

fit and could also be a TDL asset move…it’s big roster shuffle for

both teams but the fit makes sense for Stl as they would need to add a Ctr if they move Thomas…Tero is a $ dump for Stl to let this balance out 

New top 2 lines:

Manji/Thomas/Tero

Pelletier ?/Lindhom/toffoli 

Coleman/Ruzi/Dube

Lucic/ Russo/Lewis 

we would need figure out that second line LW…probably Pelletier? Or maybe move Backlund for a pic and 2nd line LW…and promote Ruzi to 3rd line?

not a bad lineup…no worse for wear than last year, if Not better balance through 4 lines.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's a fair return. It's got a premier forward, one decent prospect, and a 1st round pick in a deep draft.   We should be happy with that all things considered.

If the Flames were looking at futures, I didn't like the fit with the Blues.

But if they wanna do what NYR (kinda) and CBJ are currently doing, it makes sense. Still ice a team that has a chance at playoffs and add assets.

I'm not super high on Neighbours, but I think the Flames would be. He played NHL games last year and there should be opportunity in Calgary this year. Also a nice touch that he's from Airdrie.

I wouldn’t count Nas out of this just yet they could offer 

Fabbro

Tomasino

1st 

2nd

so which would be better that or 

Thomas or Kyro 

Neigbours

1st 

2nd 

That’s a tough call but I would tend to

lean towards the Stl option I think

18 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

That would be a fantastic deal…hope we get that! If not Kyrou…heard Thomas’s name in there too…either would be good…though if it’s Thomas I doubt Neighbours is is the top

prospect…but wouldn’t that be amazing Thomas and Neighours+ A 1st and 2nd..

Ok, so if it's Thomas then the deal gets smaller.

Thomas + Neighbours + 2nd.

Or they dump a contract and it stays a 1st.

TBH, it doesn't work unless they dump at least Krug.

Next year, the salarties are similal but this year Thomas on the end of his bargain deal.

Honestly, I think we are reaching a bit.  It's what we should ask for, but is it a move they make?

Does Neighbours project to be a top 6 LW?

I think they have Bolduc that seems further ahead.

Tkachuk gives them an edge they didn't have.

1 minute ago, MP5029 said:

Fabbro

Tomasino

1st 

2nd

Thomas or Kyro 

Neigbours

1st 

2nd 

I don't think the Blues would move Thomas.

But I'd still go with the Blues. Kyrou is more impactful than Fabro

11 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Fabbro

Tomasino

1st 

2nd

Thomas or Kyro 

Neigbours

1st 

2nd 

If the asking price is top F, premium prospect and a 1st, why are we taking a good D, a premium prospect and a 1st.  You look at a player like Lundell and you see the potential.  Tomasino looks to be more like a Mangiapane.  Is that even premium?

I think if STL offers that package, just do it.

We get one for one and are slightly worse in offense.

But by himself, he can generate decent numbers.

Set him up with the right players and look out.

I'm just going to say this.  Teams are going to pay whatever they are forced to to get the unicorn player of Tkachuk.  They might not like it, the fans might give them some grief for paying too much, but ultimately, if they miss out they will have balked at the sale of the century.  Team altering trades don't happen much.  This is Iggy for Newy level.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm just going to say this.  Teams are going to pay whatever they are forced to to get the unicorn player of Tkachuk.  They might not like it, the fans might give them some grief for paying too much, but ultimately, if they miss out they will have balked at the sale of the century.  Team altering trades don't happen much.  This is Iggy for Newy level.

Here here, TD! 

And if St. Louis or any other western conference team wants us to face Chucky more often than we’d like to, they have to pony up the difference there. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If the Flames were looking at futures, I didn't like the fit with the Blues.

But if they wanna do what NYR (kinda) and CBJ are currently doing, it makes sense. Still ice a team that has a chance at playoffs and add assets.

I'm not super high on Neighbours, but I think the Flames would be. He played NHL games last year and there should be opportunity in Calgary this year. Also a nice touch that he's from Airdrie.

Yups if the Flames are looking for futures (which I personally hope) then NJ has better to offer.

One of Holtz, Hughes, or Nemec

+ 1st round pick (bonus if unprotected)

I just think those 3 have just as high a ceiling as Kyrou (if not higher) and they are young enough that their timeline fits better with a Flames rebuild.  And that 1st round pick in a deep draft year could be top 5 since NJ is still so young.  Whereas STL will be picking in the 20s.

Tkachuk himself was a #6 overall who happened to pan out into a 40G and 100PT guy so it's very reasonable to command a 1st round pick unprotected + top end prospect.

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I agree.  Tkachuk is only 24 and just getting started.  As long as Tkachuk signs a 7 or 8 year extension with the new team then they should pay full price.

33 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Here here, TD! 

And if St. Louis or any other western conference team wants us to face Chucky more often than we’d like to, they have to pony up the difference there. 

I'm not so concerned about the Pacific teams as the Central.  Those are the teams we end up facing in the conference final.  STL abso FN lutely has to pay.  Otherwise, next.