2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Even before Gaudreau left, I wanted to trade Tkachuk for a 2nd line C.  Mercer is not high end offense but should be 55 to 65-point range.  It might be good enough for what we are looking for.

The high end return may come with the 1st round pick that should come along with Mercer.

Ok here is the issue, Tachuck probably wouldn’t sign long term with NJD so why would they trade for him for 1 year? 

has to be a team he’s sign long term with…Tachuck stated 5 teams, though a few other he may consider but the ones he mentioned are probably the best to deal

with (CBJ, FLA, STL, Dal and LVK)

of those teams…CBJ and STL are probably the only two which could return the best players…maybe FLA but it would need to include Bennet and Reinhart + but I don’t see FLA doing that after the committed long term to Bennet and Cgy chased Bennet out of town…

LVK doesn’t have anything we would need or want and are too tight on the cap

Stl has a few players but are tight on the cap and already said the players we would

want in return were not on the table…

Dal really has nothing of interest…

CBJ has a few good young players including a D…and 8+ mil in cap room

choice seems clear CBJ 

or see what other teams Tachuck may be willing to sign long term with…I’m thinking ANH, LAK Pho but not sure LAK has anything we would want and they would be willing to part with…same issue with Anh, they have McTavish bit I don’t think they are willing to part with him…Phoenix, has noting we would want 

EDIT insert NAS where I said CBJ..my bad and it’s only 4 mil they have now…but maybe they signed Nedo as part of a sign and trade pack to get Tachuck? Hard to say? 

29 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Unfortunately yes..but they still need to ice a team…I guess the issue is, until they know exactly where Manji stands and Tachuck too it’s hard to say what to do…if all the UFAs only accept 1 year deals then the COA is to probably trade them all and rebuild/tool 

horrible place for the team to be in right now, and it boils down to having a GM who’s too much of a MR nice guy…kinda put us in this mess starting with Gaudreau…now Tachuck and possibly Manji…all 3 said at the seasons end they loved Cgy and would

consider long term contracts…but when the Gaudreau left…everyone wants out, it’s like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

the only good thing out of this is we can see the real character of theses players and if that’s the way they are then it’s best that they all go and build a team with character and skill vs just skill…I think part in parcel that’s been the issue here for a while too many high skill players with little character base to comment and loyalty, so I guess that’s one thing positive is that the character can be added to the team.

Seem to me it boils down more to area code.....

If there is any truth to the rumor that the Devils offered the 2OA pick for Tkachuk than it would be logically to assume they would move Nimec. I'd want more but you could do a whole heck of a lot worse than getting him in trade. 

He'd be a very exciting add. 

• Like 1

Here's an interesting thought.  

If the CBJ were able to trade for Tkachuk, they suddenly have a top pair that has chemistry.

They would need to include Laine, but a sign and trade needed perhaps.

Laine, a top prospect and a 1st.

Seems steep, but this is about building a team.

Laine was a lot less productive in CBJ.

The adds make up for that.

Why does Tkachuk go there?

To play with Gaudreau. 

8 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Ok here is the issue, Tachuck probably wouldn’t sign long term with NJD so why would they trade for him for 1 year? 

has to be a team he’s sign long term with…Tachuck stated 5 teams, though a few other he may consider but the ones he mentioned are probably the best to deal

with (CBJ, FLA, STL, Dal and LVK)

of those teams…CBJ and STL are probably the only two which could return the best players…maybe FLA but it would need to include Bennet and Reinhart + but I don’t see FLA doing that after the committed long term to Bennet and Cgy chased Bennet out of town…

LVK doesn’t have anything we would need or want and are too tight on the cap

Stl has a few players but are tight on the cap and already said the players we would

want in return were not on the table…

Dal really has nothing of interest…

CBJ has a few good young players including a D…and 8+ mil in cap room

choice seems clear CBJ 

or see what other teams Tachuck may be willing to sign long term with…I’m thinking ANH, LAK Pho but not sure LAK has anything we would want and they would be willing to part with…same issue with Anh, they have McTavish bit I don’t think they are willing to part with him…Phoenix, has noting we would want 

The reported list has since been reported to be incorrect.

Tom Fitzgerald the GM for NJ is the Tkachuk’s cousin, so there is a family connection.

The Tkachuk brothers are also good friends with the Hughes brothers so there is a connection there as well.

Also I don’t think anyone though Gaudreau would sign long term in Columbus, so I don’t think we can discount any American team at this point.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Here's an interesting thought.  

If the CBJ were able to trade for Tkachuk, they suddenly have a top pair that has chemistry.

They would need to include Laine, but a sign and trade needed perhaps.

Laine, a top prospect and a 1st.

Seems steep, but this is about building a team.

Laine was a lot less productive in CBJ.

The adds make up for that.

Why does Tkachuk go there?

To play with Gaudreau. 

Yeah…but CBJ don’t have a 1st rounder till 2025…

still a possibility but it would need to be younger roster ready prospects in return…who do they have?

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The reported list has since been reported to be incorrect.

Tom Fitzgerald the GM for NJ is the Tkachuk’s cousin, so there is a family connection.

The Tkachuk brothers are also good friends with the Hughes brothers so there is a connection there as well.

Also I don’t think anyone though Gaudreau would sign long term in Columbus, so I don’t think we can discount any American team at this point.

Lol true..just Canadian teams 

The Flames should have no interest in Laine IMO. Aside from the fact they don't really have a player to get him the puck he is 1 year away from UFA. So your swapping one player who out leveraged you for another or you just doing to have to pay him a big deal and bring him over to a not very good situation for him (no playmaker).

Not the direction they should go with this at all IMO. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The Flames should have no interest in Laine IMO. Aside from the fact they don't really have a player to get him the puck he is 1 year away from UFA. So your swapping one player who out leveraged you for another or you just doing to have to pay him a big deal and bring him over to a not very good situation for him (no playmaker).

Not the direction they should go with this at all IMO. 

Yeah I am a pass on Laine as well. There is no doubt that he is a great talent and goal scorer, I just don’t think he is the right player for us for a number of reasons that across mentioned.

21 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Well here are the odds on where Tkachuk ends up.

I know it's silly to suggest this, but what are the odds he stays and signs for 5 years or less.  Not long term.  The stories get changed from the original source, and I try to parse the meaning out of it.  

Anyway, the waiting game is upon us.  Worse than waiting for Gaudreau to re-sign, since it's where is he going and what are we getting.  As a Flames fan that has seen drafts come and go and trades causing me to SMH, I am prepping to be disappointed.  As a fan in general, I am excited at the possible deals.

26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Well here are the odds on where Tkachuk ends up.

We haven't talked much about the Sabres and I doubt Tkachuk signs long term there.  That said, maybe they are so desperate, they would give up a ton just for 1-year of Tkachuk (and maybe trade him at the TDL to recoup some assets if they cannot extend him).

Can we get Cozens?  Quinn?  Power?   Do we want Dahlin?

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

If there is any truth to the rumor that the Devils offered the 2OA pick for Tkachuk than it would be logically to assume they would move Nimec. I'd want more but you could do a whole heck of a lot worse than getting him in trade. 

He'd be a very exciting add. 

Ya I'd be okay with Nemec as well.  If we rebuild then start from the backend out.  But Tkachuk is a superstar 40G 100pt guy now so we should expect more than just Nemec.  I would want Mercer too.  Holtz would be a dream as he has 1st line potential.

It should be noted as well, if a team wants him that bad and it's a mutual match, they can be creative with cap.

I'll use St Louis, cuz they're capped and its the only Mutual Love affairs team I can think of .

Prior to the arb, he can sign any deal he wants ..  he could technically sign a 1 year , 1M deal..  then in January, do the 8 year extension. Yes he's taking a chance with injury , but if they like each other that much it's an option, that keeps our return high as well. 

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I'd be okay with Nemec as well.  If we rebuild then start from the backend out.  But Tkachuk is a superstar 40G 100pt guy now so we should expect more than just Nemec.  I would want Mercer too.  Holtz would be a dream as he has 1st line potential.

apparently hes got Makar - like qualities .. but yes, id want more 

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

You say that now, but when the return is Jesper Bratt and a lotto protected 2024 1st, you'll have a different reaction.

Ya that's a brutal trade if that's all BT can get.  There has to be a better offer out there than that though.  Just Kyrou straight across is already better.