2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Thanks sak, I shouldn't rely on my old guy memory. Everybody pales to Makar so I had an exaggeration going on, but yeah, Byram's looking like another top-shelf Dman. Stupid Sens. Wicked trade by Sakic in ditching Duchene(3rd oa also). Flipping Turris for Girard was a nice stroke too.

That's why we should flip Tkachuk for the 2OA + Holtz pre-draft so MTL drafts Slafkovsky and we get Wright.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's why we should flip Tkachuk for the 2OA + Holtz pre-draft so MTL drafts Slafkovsky and we get Wright.

NJ's biggest need is D and figuring out G. Tkachuk would be a nice winger for them, but their wings/prospects aren't an atrocity. Whereas their backend has alot of holes and question marks.

Could see them targeting our 3rd pair in FA, they need serious help.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You suggest we trade a RW for a C and the chance at a LW?  MTL won't pick anyone by Wright.

Not that I suggest your trade is bad, it's actually pretty great value.

Would we go after Stafkovsky if we had 2OA?

Im very confused why are we trading MrT he is a top player does it all puts up lots of points mucks it up and draws penalties. It seems to me we are never satisfied most teams would kill to have him but for some reason we want to move him please explain why? 

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's a high cost for a RFA, but expected.

Too bad UFA's don't have that value.

I would say it will take them out of the big UFA market 20 million with 8 RFA's many will come cheap, but Fiala and Kempe won't.  I thought they could be players for Forsberg, but less likely now which could be good for Calgary if they need to pivot from Gaudreau.

• Like 1

Pretty good move from the Kings. For a team that struggled to create offense they just picked up someone who is excellent at creating it. Pretty reasonable price too IMO.

Kings are going to be good next year I think. They'll contend for the division if Byfield can take a step. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pretty good move from the Kings. For a team that struggled to create offense they just picked up someone who is excellent at creating it. Pretty reasonable price too IMO.

Kings are going to be good next year I think. They'll contend for the division if Byfield can take a step. 

Important to point out to people who might see his 85 points this year and think he benefited from someone else.

• Like 1

Really solid move for LA.

Faber is a fairly good prospect, steady but not flashy.

LA is so deep at RHD that you can argue that Faber was their 8th RHD on their organizational depth chart. That's insane depth. Calgary has only Tanev, Andersson  and Boltmann under club control as RHD's in comparison.

15 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It's almost like they were negotiating in the background and right after the trade, made their deal official. 

It's likely. The Parise and Suter buyout effect is kicking in on Minny. Almost $13mil in dead cap this year, then almost $15mil the following 2 years.Might as well get Dumba for prospects.lol

13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Really solid move for LA.

Faber is a fairly good prospect, steady but not flashy.

LA is so deep at RHD that you can argue that Faber was their 8th RHD on their organizational depth chart. That's insane depth. Calgary has only Tanev, Andersson  and Boltmann under club control as RHD's in comparison.

Faber definitely isn't a throw-in. His development path has been exceptional, damn Minnesotans and their great programs.

The 19th overall is a crapshoot, but Faber is a pretty nice piece for Guerin to acquire.

He's going to need a continuity of ELCs for 3 yrs for sure.

For LA, that's a solid trade. It's good for both teams due to the buyout stuff leaving Minny skint.

It'll be interesting to see how Guerin can manage at a big disadvantage. I wouldn't want his phone bill. lol

Those buyouts mean, for me, that he's willing to go all young and take some growing pains. It'll be interesting.

The vultures will be circling.

On 6/29/2022 at 1:51 AM, The_People1 said:

Bob McKenzie trying to be edgy by ranking Juraj Slafkovsky #1 ahead of Shane Wright.  I don't know much about either to be honest but it seems Wright had a disappointing/average season by #1 overall standards.  In comparison, Slafkovsky flashed elite tools/size/skill and his NHL ceiling/potential pushes above Wright.

I post this because in the event MTL goes crazy and leaves Wright on the board for #2,... And the Devils want to move the #2 for Tkachuk... we should do it right?  Wright is a Center and we need a franchise Center.  Lindholm is great and all but a Wright/Lindholm 1/2 sounds pretty good.

I imagine NJ wouldn't want to draft Wright because they already have Hughes and Hischier... Or do they draft Wright and trade us Hischier for Tkachuk?

https://www.tsn.ca/juraj-slafkovsky-shane-wright-bob-mckenzie-nhl-draft-ranking-1.1818585

This is what I've been thinking after I read that not only McKenzie - but other ranks - have Slafkovsky ahead of Wright as well. I'd trade Chucky to NJ to get the 2nd OA for Wright for sure. 

35 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

This is what I've been thinking after I read that not only McKenzie - but other ranks - have Slafkovsky ahead of Wright as well. I'd trade Chucky to NJ to get the 2nd OA for Wright for sure. 

Not sure what's going on with the rest of your roster by doing this.

32 year old goalie, 32 year old 2nd pair D, 33 year old Backlund.

Instead of building from experience, we are giving up the year.

I get the sense of trading Tkachuk, if you can keep Gaudreau.

We are down a top RW.

But going for a top pick that might be 3 years before productive?

I would look at Hischier, since NJ has a ton of C's. 

He's locked up at a reasonable cap hit.

Gives us a #2C.

Get them to add something secondary to the deal.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's likely. The Parise and Suter buyout effect is kicking in on Minny. Almost $13mil in dead cap this year, then almost $15mil the following 2 years.Might as well get Dumba for prospects.lol

I was taking a look at that and seeing if there was some potential for the Flames but trading Fiala actually sovles a lot of issues for the Wild. Still have Body and Addison coming and i'm not sure Dumba is a good fit for the Flames at the cost and pending UFA. 

if they want to move Brodin i'm all ears but can't imagine why they would. They are actually in much better shape that I thought. 

There is merit to the discussion around Tkachuk for 2 OA (assuming Wright is there) and another prospect. I highly doubt you get Holtz in that move but if you did it would be worth considering for sure. 

however, if the plan is do that and still remain competitive I would view that as hard to do. I really like Wright but I think he is 2-3 years away from making an impact so I do think you take a step back in that deal even if you can keep Gaudreau. I also think it would like be 2 OA and maybe a Nolan Foote or Ty Smith level prospect. I would be very surprised to see the Devils give up 2 top 10 picks for Tkachuk. 

On 6/29/2022 at 10:26 AM, The_People1 said:

Many believe if Johnny doesnt sign, we go into scorched earth mode..  I dont tend to believe that , but I admit the closer it gets im losing faith in Johnny signing .. plus if hes not signed by draft , that hurts a lot of next move strategy 

what if we went all out ?

TO NJ

Johnny 

To Calgary 

2OA + Player x

To MTL

Tkachuk

To Calgary 

1OA + Player X

Draft Wright + Slafkovsky

both players likely wont , but are projected to be NHL ready so it wont be a long wait , but in the meantime .. toss some money at Kadri, resign both your 3rd pair D.. there are suitable players available who can help this team 

gamble that Monahan is back to playing form .. if only to raise his trade value at the deadline 

we may take a one year dip, likely still make playoffs but by year 2 we'll be a force 

Slafovsky has all the makings of another Draisaitl 

Wright projects as a #1 C

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I was taking a look at that and seeing if there was some potential for the Flames but trading Fiala actually sovles a lot of issues for the Wild. Still have Body and Addison coming and i'm not sure Dumba is a good fit for the Flames at the cost and pending UFA. 

if they want to move Brodin i'm all ears but can't imagine why they would. They are actually in much better shape that I thought. 

Maybe you forgot Rossi? They might be okay, but need good young players on ELCs.

They still need stable G. Is that Talbot?

They have Wallstedt. They might stay dangerous getting younger with limited cap.

Good case study.

If signing rights and a player a year away from UFA are getting the top 2 picks + others, I take it as a sign this draft sucks.  I think it probably takes early negotiation to get Tkachuk for a top pick, but I don't think him alone is getting that, there really isn't much to base off of it because top picks haven't been getting traded in the cap era.  Dream big I guess, but I don't think Johnny's rights are getting anything significant, and I think Tkachuk in a trade is probably closer to Fiala return than people will want to admit.

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

IIf signing rights and a player a year away from UFA are getting the top 2 picks + others, I take it as a sign this draft sucks.  I think it probably takes early negotiation to get Tkachuk for a top pick, but I don't think him alone is getting that, there really isn't much to base off of it because top picks haven't been getting traded in the cap era.  Dream big I guess, but I don't think Johnny's rights are getting anything significant, and I think Tkachuk in a trade is probably closer to Fiala return than people will want to admit.

I do too. It's hard to gauge who pulls it together, in short. Tough draft almost all over it.

Take the faller?

7 minutes ago, sak22 said:

If signing rights and a player a year away from UFA are getting the top 2 picks + others, I take it as a sign this draft sucks.  I think it probably takes early negotiation to get Tkachuk for a top pick, but I don't think him alone is getting that, there really isn't much to base off of it because top picks haven't been getting traded in the cap era.  Dream big I guess, but I don't think Johnny's rights are getting anything significant, and I think Tkachuk in a trade is probably closer to Fiala return than people will want to admit.

A team like NJ would wrap their team around JG and very likely know he'll sign there ..  Matt is a young star .. 

remember .. we once offered 3 first rounders for 1st overall (McKinnon)and people wanted to hang Feaster for it .. who wouldn't make that trade in a time machine now ?

10 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

A team like NJ would wrap their team around JG and very likely know he'll sign there ..  Matt is a young star .. 

remember .. we once offered 3 first rounders for 1st overall (McKinnon)and people wanted to hang Feaster for it .. who wouldn't make that trade in a time machine now ?

Who wanted to hang Feaster?  It may have seemed stiff, but that's the going price in a high end draft.