Playoffs GDT Stars @ FLAMES - Game 5 - Wednesday 11 May 2022

rocketdoctor

Just now, robrob74 said:

we played to not get scored on and then had to switch it up to play to win…

That’s the way I saw it as well. I think Bowness switching up the lines made us extra cautious with containing the new looks. 

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

we played to not get scored on and then had to switch it up to play to win…

Sutter mentioned that the Stars switched up their tactics and made even less room to move, even before the first goal.  Some guys were not used to the change and had to fight to get to that level.  It's one of the reasons why you saw Tkachuk not with Gaudreau and why Toffoli helped Johnny start getting some juice.  Jarny and Dube did the same for Tkachuk.  

10 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Yep! Will do! Got mine resting too, waiting for showtime on Friday!!

I get your Markstrom comment, however, here we are once again - the hockey Gods pointing out that this trio should remain TOGETHER. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that these 3 players are the 3 stars. I shared a graphic before the start of the playoffs saying that these 3 players together are a top 10 line in the league when it comes to fancy stats. 

We all see that offense doesn’t come easy for Backlund - but when he’s out there with Mange and Coleman, they produce offensively. Twice tonight! Let’em play together!!

The NHL site had Marky as the 3rd star, but I got the graphic on twitter.

I did feel that Marky did well, but was just part of the reason for one goal against.

EDIT - I haven't had the reason to wear the jersey for a few years.  The COVID year wasn't real hockey playoffs.  We didn't even qualify, except by winning in the play in round.  It just felt like the right time to start wearing it again.  Kinda warm for inside, but I live in the camp of the enemy, so not much reasons to wear it outside.  Yet.  By tomorrow night, it might be safe.  :) 

Wow great 3rd period Flames.

Good to see the secondary scoring come good.

Concerned with Tanev at the moment.  He seems off and not getting the puck out the zone as he ususally does.  Would not suprise me if he is playing hurt.

Chucky has got to get into the game.  3rd best player on the Team and he was pretty invisible tonight.

All said and done lets finish this series off in Dallas.

Go Flames Go!

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Let’s be positive! 

it is only one goal!!! 

get one and then another! Then an EN! We win 3-1

It really does work, amirite!

You aren't always positive, but when you are, you make Satoshi Nakamoto happen.

Read through the post, all of those comments are what I listened to last night.

These playoffs are getting exhausting. Anyone know if Amazon sells ventilators for home use?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

am I the only one that think Jamie Benn is one of the dirtiest players in this league?  How he gets away with the Satoshi Nakamoto he does I do not know.

You aren't. Loved the Gudbranson hit on him. Problem with Benn is he'll pull his crap and back it up by fighting almost anyone.

We all know who I mean with, "almost".lol

And after the Guddy hit, I think we have 2 "almosts".lol

3 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Concerned with Tanev at the moment.  He seems off and not getting the puck out the zone as he ususally does.  Would not suprise me if he is playing hurt.

I've noticed the same RD. He's a step behind, physically and mentally it seems when he's making decisions with and without the puck. I didn't like the Benn slewfoot on him. I've been thinking he's the reason why Stone is in and we're playing 11-7. 

5 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Chucky has got to get into the game.  3rd best player on the Team and he was pretty invisible tonight.

Go Flames Go!

They are targeting Tanev.  Pounding him when they get a chance.  That's probably why Stone is back in.  Lucic and Guddy keep the other team honest, but we want to limit the hits on him.  

Tkachuk was killing the top line.  He was a bit better playing with Jarnkrok.  If you can't get offense going, at least play on the other side of the puck.  Sutter mentioned him without naming him.  He said the top line lacked flow.  Toffoli isn't very fast but he doesn't give up the puck nearly as much as Tkachuk.  

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

You aren't. Loved the Gudbranson hit on him. Problem with Benn is he'll pull his crap and back it up by fighting almost anyone.

We all know who I mean with, "almost".lol

And after the Guddy hit, I think we have 2 "almosts".lol

Benn isn't the player he once was.  He's doing what he can.  And yes, that is slimeball stuff.  Two fines in the first 4 games.  And they missed the Tanev one.  Without Ott, this was over in 4 games.  Let's put them down and move on to a normal team.  

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Benn isn't the player he once was.  He's doing what he can.  And yes, that is slimeball stuff.  Two fines in the first 4 games.  And they missed the Tanev one.  Without Ott, this was over in 4 games.  Let's put them down and move on to a normal team.  

It's crazy how far Benn has fallen and he's only 32.  Even bigger fall than Monahan the past couple of years.  Benn has gone from league MVP to a 3rd line mucker.  $9.5-mil for 3 more.  Yikes. 

5 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Go Flames Go!

Agree about Tanev.  He took a hard hit in game 1 and I don't think he's recovered from it.  Could be a shoulder problem.  But he's noticably slower both feet wise and thinking wise.  We need to close out this series and give Tanev a few days off to recover.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Agree about Tanev.  He took a hard hit in game 1 and I don't think he's recovered from it.  Could be a shoulder problem.  But he's noticably slower both feet wise and thinking wise.  We need to close out this series and give Tanev a few days off to recover.

Tonight being an elimination night for 4 teams could see the 2nd round start earlier than expected.  I hope that 3 of 4 teams extend their series.  In that, I want to see LA end the misery tonight.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's crazy how far Benn has fallen and he's only 32.  Even bigger fall than Monahan the past couple of years.  Benn has gone from league MVP to a 3rd line mucker.  $9.5-mil for 3 more.  Yikes. 

to be fair letterkenny problems GIF

Benn had one of the lowest point totals for an Art Ross trophy winner, and probably only won because Crosby and Seguin missed time.  Him and Seguin made a great duo for a few years, but I wouldn't classify him as elite even in those days.  I think he is the type of player that doesn't age as well, I think the bigger surprise is Seguin even with his injuries he doesn't look like he will get near what he was.  A lot of money tied up in those 2 for the next few years, with Robertson and Otter RFA's this summer