Playoffs GDT Stars @ Flames - Game 2 - Thursday 5 May 2022

rocketdoctor

Just now, The_People1 said:

I love being the most boring.  Just win though.

I think if they can play their game but need to find a way to get more chances. I think hitting the net on odd man rushes and in other instances waiting too long and or making an extra move and kill the sequence can change the narrative. Like if Kylington shoots for a rebound. The guy coming down the right wing is in perfect position to tap it home. Kylington doesn’t even need to make it a hard shot, but create havoc. It might be simple hockey. I’m probably too simple. But I’m the playoffs most goals are scored ugly.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

We started much better in Game 1 though.  And ya, lots of broken plays this game which points to mentally not prepared and not hungry enough.  Even simple short passes jump over sticks and turn over.

either that or they tried too hard for awhile. Misspent energy. 

like I don’t feel we lost due to lack of effort. I hope it was a case where they just weren’t on tonight. 

but agree with @Heartbreaker, it’s not the most ideal matchup, it’s possible we could lose it. I was afraid of both Dallas and Nashville. The Flames have had trouble getting into the middle of the ice when teams close it up. How to adjust to it is the next step. 

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We started much better in Game 1 though.  And ya, lots of broken plays this game which points to mentally not prepared and not hungry enough.  Even simple short passes jump over sticks and turn over.

Let Dallas be concerned with matchups in game 3 and 4.  The 4 on 4 was disruptive for Sutter.

Couldn't get the trios out he wanted when we needed it.

The Tanev rush was a waste, but typical of every odd man rush we had.

We never use the other guys involved.

In every case the shot was low pads.

Zero chance you score like that.

Backlund, on the goalie with the top corner open.

Tanev with finishers and no pass.

Toffoli with Mange and no pass.

It was a good shot, but same location.

I'm not going to analyse to death the game because we lost the same way we won.

One play in the first period.

In our case, Hanifin made a panicked play with no reason to doubt he would make a simple pass.

But, FFS, do something about the lines.

They are not perfect.

The middle six isn't about to pick up the slack unless Dube starts feeling it.

Even Dube et al are just cycling the puck without anyone in front.

He seems to be heading in on LW instead of RW or center.

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

like I don’t feel we lost due to lack of effort. I hope it was a case where they just weren’t on tonight. 

but agree with @Heartbreaker, it’s not the most ideal matchup, it’s possible we could lose it. I was afraid of both Dallas and Nashville. The Flames have had trouble getting into the middle of the ice when teams close it up. How to adjust to it is the next step. 

We have beaten both NAS and DAL, so it's not really a question of matchups.

ALl teams are going to be tough up the middle.

Just in different ways.

Dallas clogs up the neutral zone.

One of the details missing tonight was winning draws.

We were good on getting to the puck, but lost way too many draws.

Lewis 27%

Backlund 42%

Lindholm 44%

Jarnkrok 53%

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We have beaten both NAS and DAL, so it's not really a question of matchups.

ALl teams are going to be tough up the middle.

Just in different ways.

Dallas clogs up the neutral zone.

One of the details missing tonight was winning draws.

We were good on getting to the puck, but lost way too many draws.

Lewis 27%

Backlund 42%

Lindholm 44%

Jarnkrok 53%

Regular Season is way different though. Both teams play each other up to 7 in a row instead of coming off different opponents, and coaches will adjust differently game to game in the playoffs. Regular season results against teams don't matter in the playoffs. It is why it is called a new season. Thing is, Dallas started to adjust in the 2nd period of last game and now we gotta respond. 

It is like you said in other posts, the odd mans killed us, either easy saves, or missing the net, and not using other players. All break-ins were like that too. Passes didn't connect.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I think if they can play their game but need to find a way to get more chances. I think hitting the net on odd man rushes and in other instances waiting too long and or making an extra move and kill the sequence can change the narrative. Like if Kylington shoots for a rebound. The guy coming down the right wing is in perfect position to tap it home. Kylington doesn’t even need to make it a hard shot, but create havoc. It might be simple hockey. I’m probably too simple. But I’m the playoffs most goals are scored ugly.

I think had we scored first, then we would've won 2-0.  DAL didn't exactly dominate us offensively.

One adjustment I think we should make is when we were down with 10 minutes to go in the game, DAL lined up 4 on their blueline and our lead forward kept trying to go 1-on-4.  Instead, that would've been a great time to stop up and pass it to the trailing players with speed, just like on the PP.  That would've helped us enter the zone with control of the puck.

But we are also their worst match up too.  They struggle to score and we are very good defensively.  There's generally nothing to worry about right now outside of our secondary scoring has dried up... and has for weeks leading into the playoffs.  Much of that is the Mange-Backs-Toffoli line.  They just don't work.

Dube has generated chances but Coleman might be banged up and not 100%.  We could also use some goals from our D but it seems hopeless there.  We don't have a true offensive Dman.

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think had we scored first, then we would've won 2-0.  DAL didn't exactly dominate us offensively.

One adjustment I think we should make is when we were down with 10 minutes to go in the game, DAL lined up 4 on their blueline and our lead forward kept trying to go 1-on-4.  Instead, that would've been a great time to stop up and pass it to the trailing players with speed, just like on the PP.  That would've helped us enter the zone with control of the puck.

I think the problem with the game is that this was Dallas’ game plan. They won the most one goal games this year. They didn’t do it very pretty but they were very effective. That’s my biggest fear. 

we have to find a way to break through the man-to-man clogging coverage. I think this series goes 7. It’s a good test because if they can get past them then they can probably beat the next group. It’ll be a hard fought series. It’s a battle of inches.

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But we are also their worst match up too.  They struggle to score and we are very good defensively.  There's generally nothing to worry about right now outside of our secondary scoring has dried up... and has for weeks leading into the playoffs.  Much of that is the Mange-Backs-Toffoli line.  They just don't work.

Dube has generated chances but Coleman might be banged up and not 100%.  We could also use some goals from our D but it seems hopeless there.  We don't have a true offensive Dman.

ya, I think and hope eventually we activate the D a bit more. 

maybe we come out and win a few in a row, or we come back to Calgary tied 2-2

I think the problem with the game is that this was Dallas’ game plan. They won the most one goal games this year. They didn’t do it very pretty but they were very effective. That’s my biggest fear. 

we have to find a way to break through the man-to-man clogging coverage. I think this series goes 7. It’s a good test because if they can get past them then they can probably beat the next group. It’ll be a hard fought series. It’s a battle of inches.

Yups.  Between Saros/Josi vs Oettinger/Heiskanen, it wasn't as easy choice either way.

It's going to be "whoever scores first will win" type of series because the other team will just shut it down and clog up the ice.

Pretty surprised with that game to be honest. I thought the Flames came out with the wrong game plan and seemed to think they could run Dallas out of the building. Focused on way too much of a physical game and multiple times they cost themselves by getting out of position to try and play physical. After all the Klingberg stuff you would have thought maybe it would be Dallas who would overcompensate physical, which is why I was very surprised to see the Flames do it. Need to trust in their game a lot more and realize they are the better team so play like it. No need to change your formula. 

Dallas wrote the book on how you defend a lead last night, but at the same time the Flames are making it way too easy on them. No one is battling to get in front of the net, no traffic, settling for low volume point shots even though there are 3-4 defenders in the way, shooting into blocks. It was a really poor offensive showing from the Flames last night and they are going to need to show a heck of a lot more effort and attention to detail in the o zone. I thought they struggled with breakouts in the first period but once they got out of the 4 on 4 game I thought they were fine entering the zone they just did nothing with it when it was there and that's the same story now 2 game in a row. Dallas is doing nothing offensively, but that isn't a surprise, but Flames are doing nothing to and that is a surprise to me so far through 2 games. 

Doesn't help that Gaudreau has been really ineffective and through 2 games he really looks like playoff Gaudreau. That's a concern for the Flames IMO. 

I hope getting on the road gets them to relax a bit and find their game but I have to admit my concern level for this series is not zero anymore. More than a few concerning trends for the Flames through 2 games. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pretty surprised with that game to be honest. I thought the Flames came out with the wrong game plan and seemed to think they could run Dallas out of the building. Focused on way too much of a physical game and multiple times they cost themselves by getting out of position to try and play physical. After all the Klingberg stuff you would have thought maybe it would be Dallas who would overcompensate physical, which is why I was very surprised to see the Flames do it. Need to trust in their game a lot more and realize they are the better team so play like it. No need to change your formula. 

I think we fell for the oldest trick in the book.  Put out some statements from a player and the coach and get them thinking about it.  There really wasn't anything in the first game that resembled the Doubty or Kassian stuff, so no reason to focus on that stuff.

I don't know that Sutter was as upset with the game as the fans.  He's still saying the sane thing.  Get to the middle, that's where you score.  Win or lose one goal games.  Didn't like 4v4.  

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I hope getting on the road gets them to relax a bit and find their game but I have to admit my concern level for this series is not zero anymore. More than a few concerning trends for the Flames through 2 games

i agree with your whole post and the one thing that I will add, most will disagree, but I’ve seen this at times throughout the season. There were games like these but not on a consistent basis. I think I remember one or some of them being Dallas games. It’s why I mention them throughout the season when it does happen because it’s a formula other teams have used that has been successful on occasion this season, but also in the past.

I get that this isn’t the past teams, but we’ve seen the depth scoring dry up a bit in the second half and when that happens it becomes an if you stop Johnny team… 

i think a positive is that the effort was there, but like you said, it was misspent energy that got them out of position. 

i noticed Dallas was better at puck placement for retrieving it and for forechecking, making it harder on the Flames D. 

how can the flames spread the Dallas D? What do they need to do more of? 

it’s like you said, no one was fighting to get into the middle, and when we shot they didn’t wait until anyone was in position to screen, tip or make it hard on the goalie. I think we had one tip and one rebound chance . One chance, their own D made it hard.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think we fell for the oldest trick in the book.  Put out some statements from a player and the coach and get them thinking about it.  There really wasn't anything in the first game that resembled the Doubty or Kassian stuff, so no reason to focus on that stuff.

I don't know that Sutter was as upset with the game as the fans.  He's still saying the sane thing.  Get to the middle, that's where you score.  Win or lose one goal games.  Didn't like 4v4.  

there was a lot of you hold me I hold you retaliation. The team needs to be more disciplined. 

i still think forwards are playing high on D and when they connect on a pass to them, there can be no support because they’re too high. And then it’s another reason why guys are breaking in alone, and they’re not able to funnel the puck to the front of the net because the line mates are all too far behind the play and then we settle for a low percentage shot and Ottinger has only had to save the pucks he can see. Gotta make it harder for the goalie to do his job. 

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i agree with your whole post and the one thing that I will add, most will disagree, but I’ve seen this at times throughout the season. There were games like these but not on a consistent basis. I think I remember one or some of them being Dallas games. It’s why I mention them throughout the season when it does happen because it’s a formula other teams have used that has been successful on occasion this season, but also in the past.

I get that this isn’t the past teams, but we’ve seen the depth scoring dry up a bit in the second half and when that happens it becomes an if you stop Johnny team… 

i think a positive is that the effort was there, but like you said, it was misspent energy that got them out of position. 

i noticed Dallas was better at puck placement for retrieving it and for forechecking, making it harder on the Flames D. 

it’s like you said, no one was fighting to get into the middle, and when we shot they didn’t wait until anyone was in position to screen, tip or make it hard on the goalie. I think we had one tip and one rebound chance . One chance, their own D made it hard.

At times I think they waited too long in that they had a second to shoot with some traffic, but waited that extra second allowing Dallas to get in front and make easy blocks, just seemed slow in their decision making in the offensive zone.  I like that they aren't giving up much, Dallas isn't either but I feel the Flames have helped them out when they do.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I thikn they need to focus on the cycle game. I thought they were too quick to shoot last night and were shooting from bad areas. Must have been at least 8-10 point shots where someone fired it directly into a Dallas player. That puck has to start going low-high in an effort to get those high dmen out of the way, or they need to stop directly shots and not just blasting it.  Start moving the puck low-high or around the boards and grind them down similar to what they did in Game 1 and I think you'll loosen up coverage and start to wear them down a bit if they are on their heels defending all the time. Then get some traffic and people fighting towards the net.  They are gaining the zone and moving through the neutral zone pretty well, even against the trap, and I thought were doing an above avg job on puck retrievals too. Just not maintaining enough o zone time and settling for bad shots. 

For as well as Ottingers stats look i don't actually think he's been great. He gave up multiple rebounds last night there was just no one there to get them. Again, really need some players to get to that home plate are and starting putting those on net. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I thikn they need to focus on the cycle game. I thought they were too quick to shoot last night and were shooting from bad areas. Must have been at least 8-10 point shots where someone fired it directly into a Dallas player. That puck has to start going low-high in an effort to get those high dmen out of the way, or they need to stop directly shots and not just blasting it.  Start moving the puck low-high or around the boards and grind them down similar to what they did in Game 1 and I think you'll loosen up coverage and start to wear them down a bit if they are on their heels defending all the time. Then get some traffic and people fighting towards the net.  They are gaining the zone and moving through the neutral zone pretty well, even against the trap, and I thought were doing an above avg job on puck retrievals too. Just not maintaining enough o zone time and settling for bad shots. 

For as well as Ottingers stats look i don't actually think he's been great. He gave up multiple rebounds last night there was just no one there to get them. Again, really need some players to get to that home plate are and starting putting those on net. 

ya  I agree! Ottinger has been good in that he can make the first save. But the lack of players going after rebounds is how the flames are making it easier on him. Mangiapane was the only one I can remember. Other times on odd man rushes we either missed the net or waited too long and so you and Sak are right, the decision making is what is making it harder on themselves. 

i noticed at times they would up for shots like @sak22says, waiting too long to shoot and Dallas getting into position. 

i like the idea of cycling the puck. Wear them down and chip away into that slot…

make natural choices on shots and don’t force or rush them . Make sure we aren’t taking ourselves out of a play when on odd man’s and miss the net or make it easy on them. 

i think the team can do it! They just gotta get out of their own heads and try play instinctual. 

40 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The low percentage shots were either blocked or missed the net.  Poor shot selection.  Let's face it, Otter is like most goalies in the playoffs; good against low shots.  Unless you get a one-timer from the slot, he's not giving away the lower part of the net.  I can't say he's got a good glove or blocker because there was little of that.  A muffin to the mid glove area isn't challenging.  Not from 40 feet. 

The called back goal was a perfect example of what Tkachuk doesn't need to do.  We are not in the zone yet, and he's fiddling with Klingberg.  Gaudreau enters the zone with speed and it's offside.  Not even close.  Hard to say if Otter heard the whistle or not.  Regardless, the shot was top corner.      

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The low percentage shots were either blocked or missed the net.  Poor shot selection.  Let's face it, Otter is like most goalies in the playoffs; good against low shots.  Unless you get a one-timer from the slot, he's not giving away the lower part of the net.  I can't say he's got a good glove or blocker because there was little of that.  A muffin to the mid glove area isn't challenging.  Not from 40 feet. 

The called back goal was a perfect example of what Tkachuk doesn't need to do.  We are not in the zone yet, and he's fiddling with Klingberg.  Gaudreau enters the zone with speed and it's offside.  Not even close.  Hard to say if Otter heard the whistle or not.  Regardless, the shot was top corner.      

I was worried at the time of that shot by Johnny would be karma and that was our only goal… 

I remember feeling like, oh boy! Hope this doesn’t piss them off and try harder to shut the door… seems teams don’t like it when you put it in their net when play is dead.

I think cross is right, the penalties and lack of a rhythm 5v5 is killing the momentum. We need to play a clean game, stop trying to do all of the BS stuff like retaliate or hold them because they’re holding you stuff. Clean it up! They’re trying to prove they’re a playoff team. And trying too hard at that. The flames Just need to play their game. Sure, hit, but when it’s a good hit. Play playoff hockey, but play it smart.

I was worried at the time of that shot by Johnny would be karma and that was our only goal… 

I remember feeling like, oh boy! Hope this doesn’t piss them off and try harder to shut the door… seems teams don’t like it when you put it in their net when play is dead.

You need to clear your mind of the bad karma stuff.  LOL

I was remembering that we haven't won a game 2 in 18 years.  

It's a meaningless stat, like the one that shows that when both McD and Draisaitl score, they are 0-4.

Both observations played out, but neither had anything to do with Hanifin's early gaff.

The thing about the offside goal was it was caused by Tkachuk in the wrong place to begin with, more concerned with jousting with Klingberg than paying attention to the play.  The play were the puck was outside the blueline and your top playmaker is entering the zone with speed.  Tkachuk felt the need to further escalate after the whistle.  I get sticking up for Gaudreau, but nobody was touching him.