GDT - Stars @ FLAMES - Thurs 21 April 2022

rocketdoctor

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Some of us believed it but would never bet on it.

And yes, I consider a poll taken at the start of the season to be like a bet.

I should have pegged Vegas down to 3rd. I just knew that Fleury move was atrocious juju. Call it karma or whatever, but that level of treatment to, really, in mafia terms, a "made" player. It's never going to end well.

As for us, there was uproar about, "should have changed the core, BT sucks, yadda yadda". I liked the moves through all of that yelling, even Pitlick. No way that I thought this is Gudbranson, not close. But I relented when he said Sutter called him and said, "call us last", basically. He sure doesn't look overpaid now.

We haven't had a serious bottom 6 in years. NHLers, not AHLers.

BT sized up/hard NHLers and made massive strides correcting the G position, not just a good young backup, but from little depth to lots of depth also.

I wasn't being a homer betting on it, I assumed we were going to be a hard and heavy team. Only Vegas can match our size, and they played the wrong hand.

I hope we keep Lewis and sign him up for the org when he decides to hang them up. JG has never, ever played so relaxed. I have a notion that Lewis is influencing the mindset of the team.

Historically, your bottom 6 pulls the weight and rests your stars, and damn, do we ever have a bottom 6, with options.

This ride is just beginning.

2-1 LA. Do it LA, bury the dagger.

Dustin is back, so they are ready for the playoffs.

Got back Happytoseeyou as wll.

Can hardly wait for him to score a goal against the Oilers.

Sweet justice.

I seriously thought VAN would be better this year.

But I guess Tanev was a huge part of Hughes (no pun).

Pettersen really struggled to score this season, to start.

Vegas should have been better but I guess being the tough guys took it's toll.

Too many guys missing.

Tuch didn't even get a chance, just shipped off for a softie.

The Eichel curse.

I guess I would like to see Dallas stay in the playoffs and face either COL or us.

Doesn't matter.

Just no teams like Vegas.

VAN would be a waste of 8 days, if that.

8 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Stars carry on like they are and they are going to let Vegas in for spot 8.

As long as we don;t get the Knights I will be happy.  

Pretty slim chance of that.

NAS can ensure Vegas doesn't grab WC1 spot with a single reg win and a Vegas reg loss.

NAS has 5 remaining, but a tough schedule.  

Saying that, a VGK in WC2 spot sets up an interesting first round.

COL hates playing Vegas almost as much as we do.

MacKinnon gets really hot under the collar, if things go sideways.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Dustin is back, so they are ready for the playoffs.

Got back Happytoseeyou as wll.

Can hardly wait for him to score a goal against the Oilers.

Sweet justice.

I seriously thought VAN would be better this year.

But I guess Tanev was a huge part of Hughes (no pun).

Pettersen really struggled to score this season, to start.

Vegas should have been better but I guess being the tough guys took it's toll.

Too many guys missing.

Tuch didn't even get a chance, just shipped off for a softie.

The Eichel curse.

I guess I would like to see Dallas stay in the playoffs and face either COL or us.

Doesn't matter.

Just no teams like Vegas.

VAN would be a waste of 8 days, if that.

petterson had a wrist injury early. So it took him awhile to get to 100%.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It seemed to be tag team.

You get healthy, Boesser is out.

He gets healthy, Horvat is out.

Whether Pettersen was not 100% or not, he struggled under Green.

i wonder whether it was an injury that stemmed back from last year? 

not saying I like green… but I felt he did very well under green earlier. I don’t like Pettersson because he hurts us a lot…

i thought Van would be better. I agree with you…

Their biggest mistake was not re-signing Tanev. I doubt the Flames are a playoff team without him. I’d like him to be captain. He’s just so consistent. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i wonder whether it was an injury that stemmed back from last year? 

not saying I like green… but I felt he did very well under green earlier. I don’t like Pettersson because he hurts us a lot…

i thought Van would be better. I agree with you…

Their biggest mistake was not re-signing Tanev. I doubt the Flames are a playoff team without him. I’d like him to be captain. He’s just so consistent. 

Green was approaching the best before date.  I think he lost the room.  I think I remember JT saying something that lead me to believe that.  

VAN did a lot of puzzling things.  Not having any identity seems to have hurt them this year.  No Tanev, no Edler.  Better goaltending behind a confused group.  

42 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Also contract hold out.  Didn't Johnny have a bad year after missing all of training camp that one year too? 

Yes, I think that was possibly made worse due to coaching changes.  Also had the hand injury early in the season.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So do we prefer to play the Stars first round?

Either/or them or Nashville doesn't matter.

St Loo vs Minny will be a monster series, then see what the AVs have. I'm much happier to be in our division.

I have a lot of faith that we matchup really well with everybody. Now it's just creating your puck luck.

No worries at all with Markstrom, dude is a monster of a goalie with a world of attitude.

We've been hearing it all year from opponents, we are a team to be reckoned with. We're not running away with the division by accident.

I've tried to remove myself from being a Flames homer occasionally. Generally due to friends and their Blockchaining eastern teams. We've dusted them. Everybody hates playing us. Everybody does.

Let's go already.lol

Tired of playing possum to the "elite" teams.

Let's go.

Bring on Vegas, we'd kill them. Don't be afraid.lol

We are a solid, solid team. As good as anyone. And a bully if we wanna do it that way. *hear Lucic chasing, see Lewis is in your escape routes*

That's intimidating, and that's our 4th line. Damn.

Dallas almost is playing like they don't want to face us.  I don't blame them.  How many games can Jake play like that in a row?  Not that many.  They might actually fare better against COL, who is built on speed on the rush.  And that's putting aside the idea that we can't solve the big team riddle.  We have beaten every team in the league with the exception of one pointers against three teams; MTL, CAR and NAS.  And we still have one game against NAS.  No fancy OT or shootouts in the playoffs.  No B2B's to worry about.

NAS leads the NHL in most penalty minutes, with the Flames 7th most of playoff teams.  NAS got a lot of fighting majors (Jeannot with 13) and 10 minute misconducts.  If they want to win anything at all, they need to have less fights.  But we ain't scared.  Even without Ritchie, there are 2 other guys that will even the score.   

We haven't won anything yet, so I'm not going to say too much.  But even a BOA in round 2 sounds like something we would prevail in.  In games without a lot of PP chances, they can be a listless team.  Beating COL was their Waterloo.  They may outdo that with a win tonight, but I suspect Nate will be foaming at the mouth.  He never gets the respect when they talk about McD or Drai.  Neither of those two has his toughness.  He will want to make a statement.