GDT - Coyotes @ FLAMES - Saturday 16 April 2022

rocketdoctor

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Very true and now proven. I'm a little surprised Sutter let it get to a stats game, but here we are.

I think he was more looking for them to play whistle to whistle, regardless of the score.

He doesn't care about the stats, just correct the bad things.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

How can the Coyotes win another game the rest of this season with this group?  Surely they have #1 lotto odds locked up.  

There is a worse team called MTL, who has 14 regulation wins.

ARI even has more total wins.

THe points difference is very slight.

Seattle is guaranteed #3 feardless, right?

Pottentially ARI could draft 4th?

Not sure..

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There is a worse team called MTL, who has 14 regulation wins.

ARI even has more total wins.

THe points difference is very slight.

Seattle is guaranteed #3 feardless, right?

Pottentially ARI could draft 4th?

Not sure..

The wins came with Chychrun and Keller.  Both gone.  MTL just got Price back and still got something that resembles a 1st line.  The Coyotes might have only 5 legit NHLers on the roster.

46 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The wins came with Chychrun and Keller.  Both gone.  MTL just got Price back and still got something that resembles a 1st line.  The Coyotes might have only 5 legit NHLers on the roster.

It seems like a firght for Wright.

ARI has never won 1st overall, do it really doesn't matter.

I hope that ARI or Seattle get the player.

MTL ends up 4th overall or worse.

ARI won 1 without Keller and 2 without Chychrun.

But your point is valid.

Berween TDL and injuries, the bottom 3 teams are really bad.

Price may have one victory left in him this season.

He's not going to play a bunch of games in this farce pf a season for them.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

A strange start to a game, but whatever.

First shift.

Doesn't decide a game.

not coming to play for the first period can though, against actual playoff teams.

you can’t tell me this isn’t a trend in the past 10-15 games. 

14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

not coming to play for the first period can though, against actual playoff teams.

you can’t tell me this isn’t a trend in the past 10-15 games. 

I don't know, do you think they don't show up?  They have scored first in 6 of the last 10, losing 1 of the games they didn't score first.  Tied with STL after 1.  None of the first perios were blow outs.  Not that we are perfect or don't have problems, but the first period isn't one of them.  We lead the league in scoring first, but we have trouble winning if we are down after two.

I don’t think a slow start is a big deal, nor do I think slow starts are a habitual issue with this team. They are human they know the playoffs are a lock and they know the coyotes are terrible and manufacturing emotion this late in the season isn’t easy either. I think what is far more important is that they find and execute their game and they did that very well after the first 10 mins or so. 

I have zero question that the emotion will

be there in the playoffs, the question is will their execution. That’s the focus IMO. 

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know, do you think they don't show up?  They have scored first in 6 of the last 10, losing 1 of the games they didn't score first.  Tied with STL after 1.  None of the first perios were blow outs.  Not that we are perfect or don't have problems, but the first period isn't one of them.  We lead the league in scoring first, but we have trouble winning if we are down after two.

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don’t think a slow start is a big deal, nor do I think slow starts are a habitual issue with this team. They are human they know the playoffs are a lock and they know the coyotes are terrible and manufacturing emotion this late in the season isn’t easy either. I think what is far more important is that they find and execute their game and they did that very well after the first 10 mins or so. 

I have zero question that the emotion will

be there in the playoffs, the question is will their execution. That’s the focus IMO. 

I don’t think I’m necessarily talking about emotion, and more about execution. I guess “getting up” for games is emotion, but I fear the execution has been lacking lately. And how much of that is fatigue or emotion? 

loubo or wills mentioned it in the second period, when 6-1, one of them said, they’d hate to criticize when up the way they were, but felt the start was poor and couldn’t forget that, plus the attention to detail has been lacking. And that does have to be the focus going into the playoffs because it’s what’s going to determine their success. It’s been a fun season, don’t get me wrong. And it’s hard to fault them with the schedule they’ve had. They’ve played some great hockey. I just think they’ve been sloppy more than not in the past 10+ games. They’ve found ways to get back in the win column and clinch so that’s great! 

i said it in another gane day thread. I wished they’d use the games like last night to work on cleaning it up. Or it could’ve been a chance to try different combos. 

it was a mostly AHL roster last night on the other side so it’s fun to get some goals and hope it gets the secondary scoring going.

• Like 1

I loved Tkachuk and Darryl’s interviews. Candid and honest. Sutter is right I didn’t fully believe coming into the season until I decided that I thought the D was going to be fine as is if they could play as a committee. 

Sutter said it’s about goal setting and the goals now are to clean up the play. He mentioned two of the D that need to improve going into the playoffs… 

I think they can go deep, but they gotta clean up the game in order to. Tkachuk said they’ve not been happy with their play of late and that he’d like the team to clean it up. 

• Like 1

I’m not willing to get concerned about a goal against in the first period.  I’m more excited that this was “scoring by committee!  Great effort by Dube on both his goals; really got the team rolling.  The top line of course lead in points, but I think the push by Dube and Mangie really did a lot to set the tone of the game.  It was very evident that Calgary’s speed and overall demeanour picked up after that.

Sutter is coaching the mistakes.  Gave Lucic and Markstron some strong words for their play.  Clean up the details.  So, maybe I'm a homer but I think we have shown the face of a contender, but have been derailed with simple coachable moments.  Poor line changes, too many men penalties, not clearing the zone with a first pass (PK even more so), letting a guy get stick position on you....He's still working through lines and pairs.  Making subtle changes and seeing how they work.  I didn't see any mention of why Ruzie came in on emergency loan, but he did play an okay game.

Kylngton and Guddy both looked a little behind the play at times.  Both had a giveaway, but they weren't thi only ones or the worst.  The last two games have been a bit of a struggle for them, but I think it's just getting back up to speed.  This game was so bizarre, I don't think you can read too much into it.  One or both might sit in the B2B's coming up, but I think they are 2 of the main 6.  There is still competition, but I don't think they have done enough wrong or the other guys enough right to make any permannt change.  

1 hour ago, flames for life said:

I didn’t think Kylington played poorly at all.  Agreed, it was a bizarre game and shouldn’t be held as standard, but Kylington played the game he does.  He occasionally gaff’s and then uses his speed to correct and recover.

There wan't much to hate about him or Guddy, but they were doing things I wasn't too happy with at times.  Nothing remarkable, but stuff you shouldn't do against a top team.  I just think their timing is a bit off.  Never worried about the offense from Kyl, just the stuff in our end.  He plays at the limits of his edges, which leads to falling.  He has a couple of tumbles which could have ended badly.  He's tough as nails, but I am concerned about him on the boards.  Especially in a "nothing" game.  

6 hours ago, flames for life said:

I’m not willing to get concerned about a goal against in the first period.  I’m more excited that this was “scoring by committee!  Great effort by Dube on both his goals; really got the team rolling.  The top line of course lead in points, but I think the push by Dube and Mangie really did a lot to set the tone of the game.  It was very evident that Calgary’s speed and overall demeanour picked up after that.

Yes Dube and Mang, let’s put them together with Coleman 😉

19 hours ago, flames for life said:

I found during the playoffs 2 yrs ago and trying to get in last year that it was Dube and Mangiapane that brought the intensity every shift more than anyone else. I'm guessing that trend will continue.

I'm not concerned much by slow starts, they happen with every team in the league. No matter which team, no team is playing a solid 60 every single game.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I found during the playoffs 2 yrs ago and trying to get in last year that it was Dube and Mangiapane that brought the intensity every shift more than anyone else. I'm guessing that trend will continue.

I'm not concerned much by slow starts, they happen with every team in the league. No matter which team, no team is playing a solid 60 every single game.

We are tops in scoring first, so I'm not sure how that is even slow starts.  But anyway, I like how we finish games.  As Sutter would say, win the 3rd and you win a lot of games.  We also haven't been a tough team to play at home in years past.  That is sure different now.