GDT - Knights @ FLAMES Thurs 14 April 2022

rocketdoctor

1 minute ago, LouCifer said:

We need to trade for Kolesar in the off season. If he can get an entire team to go after him and forget about an important game, the guy has some kinda magic. What an outstanding player to completely obsess ourselves with. 

The first penalty by Lucic was stupid.

He doesn't want to go, don't take one.

That was thr turning point in this game.

A tie game and we are worried about a hit?

Settle it when you have a lead or are blowing out the team.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The first penalty by Lucic was stupid.

He doesn't want to go, don't take one.

That was thr turning point in this game.

A tie game and we are worried about a hit?

Settle it when you have a lead or are blowing out the team.

exactly. Definitely an indication that our focus isn’t where it should be for tonight’s game. No kidding Sutter had to stop practice and set them straight a bit. The sloppiness and bad habits have infiltrated the team. 

Just now, The_Snowbear said:

i jusr cant understand why you cant get up for a game like this if your calgary literally yeah your in a playoff spot but there is no excuse to lay a egg like this

Laying an egg doesn't always mean you aren't up for it.

Poor play does you in more than lack of desire.

The effort was there and every dumb mistake ended up a mistake.

Even trying to cover up the mistake created a second one.

It's one thing to be scored on on a 2 on 1, but when you don't cover the 2nd attempt it's worse.

Well, I wished the day away today because I was so excited to watch this one. To say I’m disappointed right now is an understatement. A close game, even with a loss, where there was an honest battle out of both teams would have satisfied me. Alas, the flames had trouble staying awake for this one. Sleep well tonight. Because Vegas making the playoffs with a fully healthy team and no salary cap constraints will be a nightmare. Bravo! 

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

Well, I wished the day away today because I was so excited to watch this one. To say I’m disappointed right now is an understatement. A close game, even with a loss, where there was an honest battle out of both teams would have satisfied me. Alas, the flames had trouble staying awake for this one. Sleep well tonight. Because Vegas making the playoffs with a fully healthy team and no salary cap constraints will be a nightmare. Bravo! 

i didn’t watch, but I’ve seen this coming. They have been playing uninspired hockey over the last but, even in wins. Maybe the lead in the division makes it hard to get up for it? It has been hard to watch lately, while the year overall has been great, the past ten games or so I haven’t been excited to watch . Maybe it’s the same for the players.

• Like 1

The Flames let Kolesar beat them today.  The game was okay tied 1-1 until the second period when we tried to chase Kolesar around and get him to fight (Lucic).  There were a few times we went for a big hit and the play turned over or we were out of position on the transition because of it.  We let the hit get under our skin and stopped playing.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The Flames let Kolesar beat them today.  The game was okay tied 1-1 until the second period when we tried to chase Kolesar around and get him to fight (Lucic).  There were a few times we went for a big hit and the play turned over or we were out of position on the transition because of it.  We let the hit get under our skin and stopped playing.

I think there is some truth to this but I think this result was happening even without the hit. From the drop of the puck the flames just were not focused on defense or details in transition. Lots of soft checking, poor puck management up the ice, losing checks in the D zone and really the one reason it looked like a close game was the flames were moving the puck well in the offensive zone. Once it left that zone they were terrible. Markstrom was the only reason it wasn’t a 2 or 3-1 score after the first. 
Flames weren’t very good from the drop of the puck last night. Just took a little while for Vegas to exploit it. 

flames better take this as a wake up call or else trouble will start brewing. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i didn’t watch, but I’ve seen this coming. They have been playing uninspired hockey over the last but, even in wins. Maybe the lead in the division makes it hard to get up for it? It has been hard to watch lately, while the year overall has been great, the past ten games or so I haven’t been excited to watch . Maybe it’s the same for the players.

And this right here is what has to be learned by this flames team. How to manufacture motivation even if it’s not there. We’ve long seen this team get complacent and easily satisfied with a win. Happy to say that hasn’t been the case AT ALL this year. It has been a season to remember for a long time for me. But Sutter is right. Those teams that have been there, the ones that have been battle tested, have lost deep in the playoffs, have won it all… they have all learned what it takes to be a winning team. We’ve seen these flames win games with a “C” effort. Another component of a good team. The difference between being a good team and being a great team though is being able to overcome complacency, being able to manufacture motivation, sticking with what has made you successful game in and game out no matter the outcome, and having the killer instinct to bury teams when they are vulnerable. We know which teams fit into this category. Calgary is close, but I wouldn’t put them into that group at the present time. And this is exactly what Sutter is preaching. This team has won nothing. They’ve accomplished nothing. Thoughts contrary to that likely have landed us in the position we are now. Sutter said all the focus on individual accomplishments have taken away from team accomplishments. I agree. 

• Like 1

If individual players are just hoping to increase their stats, they sure took a funny approach to getting it.  Tkachuk sure doesn't look like a guy with 92 points.  I wouldn't say that Gaudreau was that bad, but I didn't see a lot of positives from the top line.  Not exactly sure how we got away from Mangiapane up there, but the combination of Matty on the top line and Mange/Toffee with Backlund sure looked bad.  

Not a lot of practice left, so the players need to get out of their system whatever has creeped in the last couple of games.  I don't know if this is accurate or not, but it seemed like one player from each unit (D or F) was trying things that they are not comfortable with.

Tkachuk - he's making blind passes

Backlund - forgetting his defensive assignments

Jarnkrok - not seeing a lot of what made him good, maybe he just needs to move to wing

Lucic - the only thing more obvious than his headhunting was his poor play with the puck

Zaddy - too many times he could make a simple play and he tries something else

This is by no means the only problems, it's just what I saw while I was watching intently.  Kinda stopped watching all the details after they "lost it".  This is obviously the culmination of issues that have been in parts of previous games.  Tkachuk had scored 3 goals in a game he was playing crappy in.  The D seemed a little out of sorts at times.  The F were not worrying about the D-zone.