Sabres @ FLAMES - Friday 18 March 2022

rocketdoctor

10 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

feel for marky that mistake on the pass ends it

Oh for sure, I'm not going to change my opinion of him tho. He's saved more games than he's let go and I'm sure the locker room let him know that too.

That seems to be a big difference from previous years, you win as a team and you lose as a  team.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Didn't get to watch the whole game but first impression of Jarnkrok is that he's pretty fast.  Tons of energy.  He is what I thought Pitlick and Richardson was going to be but wasn't.

Impressed so far.  Perhaps the best scoring chance in the game came off his stick.  Saying that, his overall game got better as the night went along.  

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

This game wreaked of some serious entitlement crap that they used to have . Were not up to play a non playoff team. It was a bit embarrassing to watch them tonight. It happens but I don’t have to like it 

I'm not sure where you are coming from.  We didn't score on our chances.  How is that an entitlement problem?  If you get a chance, watch Sutter's post game.  He doesn't talk about it the same way as even some of our wins.  Hard fought, gave up the middle at times, hard to score in March. Missed opportunities.  Got an important point.

I'm not going to put lipstick on it.  We lost in OT to a team that won more than it lost this month.  They certainly didn't play like a team coming off a B2B.  Their defense kept us to the outside for the most part, but we didn't convert when we got in close.  But it was embarrasing to watch the refs in this one.  Guddy high sticked in full view, and refs miss it.  Gaudreau hoked on the breakaway, no worse than the play that Lindholm drew one, again no call.  Mangiapane pushed headfirst into the boards, nothing.  We get 3 calls against at critical moments, so we end up sitting people.  We don't get the calls for when we are pressing, so no additional pressure comes.  

49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not sure where you are coming from.  We didn't score on our chances.  How is that an entitlement problem?  If you get a chance, watch Sutter's post game.  He doesn't talk about it the same way as even some of our wins.  Hard fought, gave up the middle at times, hard to score in March. Missed opportunities.  Got an important point.

I'm not going to put lipstick on it.  We lost in OT to a team that won more than it lost this month.  They certainly didn't play like a team coming off a B2B.  Their defense kept us to the outside for the most part, but we didn't convert when we got in close.  But it was embarrasing to watch the refs in this one.  Guddy high sticked in full view, and refs miss it.  Gaudreau hoked on the breakaway, no worse than the play that Lindholm drew one, again no call.  Mangiapane pushed headfirst into the boards, nothing.  We get 3 calls against at critical moments, so we end up sitting people.  We don't get the calls for when we are pressing, so no additional pressure comes.  

we watched a different game then. I saw a game where most passes were two strides ahead and two strides behind. A lot of fanned passes. It was messy. I guess you chalk it up to everyone being off for the most part . 

Sutter knows when to lay it in on them and go figure. He liked a 0-0 game. Of course he would. 

25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

we watched a different game then. I saw a game where most passes were two strides ahead and two strides behind. A lot of fanned passes. It was messy. I guess you chalk it up to everyone being off for the most part . 

Sutter knows when to lay it in on them and go figure. He liked a 0-0 game. Of course he would. 

I'm not saying I loved the game.  Frustrating to watch, but I didn't see an entitlement problem.  Tkachuk was not great, but not full of himself.  Lindholm couldn't win a draw, which was huge in OT.  He lost the most against Cody Eakins if I remember correctly.  The guy was out there for the two draws we lost in OT.  Did we even get possession in OT?  

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not saying I loved the game.  Frustrating to watch, but I didn't see an entitlement problem.  Tkachuk was not great, but not full of himself.  Lindholm couldn't win a draw, which was huge in OT.  He lost the most against Cody Eakins if I remember correctly.  The guy was out there for the two draws we lost in OT.  Did we even get possession in OT?  

if this is “playoff hockey” or “it’s that time of year” then I don’t like our chances. They’ve scored 0 goals in the last two out of three in these types of games. One point is good in the regular season but it’s a loss in the playoffs. 

i get it, you’re going to have games where everyone is off and that was last night. We are in a position to have nights like that and still make the playoffs. 

and I get we will use the excuse that the Colorado shutout was a tired game so forget that one… 

but we also got it handed to us in that Canucks game. I hope we fair better tonight. 

14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

if this is “playoff hockey” or “it’s that time of year” then I don’t like our chances. They’ve scored 0 goals in the last two out of three in these types of games. One point is good in the regular season but it’s a loss in the playoffs. 

i get it, you’re going to have games where everyone is off and that was last night. We are in a position to have nights like that and still make the playoffs. 

and I get we will use the excuse that the Colorado shutout was a tired game so forget that one… 

but we also got it handed to us in that Canucks game. I hope we fair better tonight. 

I get we have had two out of the 3 last games as goos eggs. The Colorado game was good effort but not enough net front or determination in the Muddy areas as DS calls it. Last night to me was a team that took the opposition to lightly plus IMHO they appear to be getting to confident in the position their in. We looked disengaged with a club that we should have soundly trashed. 

For me tonight is a game that will require more intensity and determination. Sutter has metnioned this time and time again, we need to play a certian way and last night was not it. This is a eye opener for the club, if your in it to win it, than be prepared to get dirty and change gears..... Its going to be a very bump, hard grind here on in. IMHO this is where the seperation of good teams adn bad teams rise. 

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Bailing already?  A loss on 3v3 is not something that is real in playoffs.  You don't play for the tie and try to win 3v3.  COL loses to NJ and is shut out by CAR.  Previously loses 2-1 to ARI.  So what.  Games are tougher to win, and teams outside the playoffs are playing to beat teams like CGY and COL.

Personally. I like our chances now over the time we won the division.  A decent lead in the standings, but not comfortable.  Nothing is good enough after a win.  Have elite goaltending and a PK that is crushing it.  Most times in a close game we come out on top.  

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Bailing already?  A loss on 3v3 is not something that is real in playoffs.  You don't play for the tie and try to win 3v3.  COL loses to NJ and is shut out by CAR.  Previously loses 2-1 to ARI.  So what.  Games are tougher to win, and teams outside the playoffs are playing to beat teams like CGY and COL.

Personally. I like our chances now over the time we won the division.  A decent lead in the standings, but not comfortable.  Nothing is good enough after a win.  Have elite goaltending and a PK that is crushing it.  Most times in a close game we come out on top.  

i guess I just didn’t like the effort. It’ll be a tough one tonight in Vancouver. 

Sutter is good at deflection when the wolves come out to prey. Every reporter started with the teams performance. The reporters saw what I saw and Sutter went up to bat for his team in this one. 

i hate losing to Vancouver so I hope we come out with a better effort. 

the thing about last night is, all night the team played the puck like Markstrom did on the OT goal, so it was just one of those kinds of nights. 

like Sutter said, gotta get into those scoring areas and they didn’t do that enough. It’s something they did in the past years, not go to the dirty areas with the puck.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

The Buffalo game was as far away from "playoff" hockey as you can get. I wouldnt read too much into it unless theres a sustained trend in the wrong direction.

Regardless on which team is playing good or bad the Nucks always seem to give the Flames trouble,  This will be a tough one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Sutter is good at deflection when the wolves come out to prey. Every reporter started with the teams performance. The reporters saw what I saw and Sutter went up to bat for his team in this one. 

i hate losing to Vancouver so I hope we come out with a better effort. 

the thing about last night is, all night the team played the puck like Markstrom did on the OT goal, so it was just one of those kinds of nights. 

like Sutter said, gotta get into those scoring areas and they didn’t do that enough. It’s something they did in the past years, not go to the dirty areas with the puck.

The last time I checked the Sabres were also a team full of professional hockey players.  Like it or not, there isn't allot of difference team to team.  We got up against a hot goalie and lost a game, it happens.  Did we play perfect?  Nope.  Do the Sabres beat us in a 7 game series?  Also nope.  

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i guess I just didn’t like the effort. It’ll be a tough one tonight in Vancouver. 

Would be a nice time to not have to travel for a B2B 2nd game, but I digress.

I was just thinking it wasn't an entitlement issue.

That seems to be 100% gone.

I don't even really think they were looking ahead.

Sutter and the team always seem to be in the moment.

It sucks to lose 1-0 in OT on a broken play.

But we took a point in a game we didn't score in.

That's pretty rare.