GDT FLAMES @ Canucks - Thursday 24 February 2022

rocketdoctor

21 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The streak was getting too media hot. Give Van the points. Whatevs. Let's have a Minny set.

Laugh it off.

Yes.  Things were going too too well.  The players needed a game like this to light a fire under them again.  This is not a game to forget about.  This is a game to remember.

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think it might be time to try Coleman with with Monahan and Toffoli with Backlund and Mangiapane. 

Dube could use another speed player and Coleman’s got some. 

Sutter is taking it slow with Toffee.

Good thing we didn't wait until TDL to make this deal.

It might be a bit soon to move Toffee to another line.

He has to adjust to Sutter hockey and less minutes.

I don't have a problem with your suggestion though, but it messes with our best defensive line.

Might work though; Coleman-Monahan-Dube plays three guys where they are probably most comfortable.

I don't think this was a game where the forwards were crap.

Top 4 D made more mistakes than I can count.

Sometimes that is all it takes.

Demko made a couple of good saves, but Marky made similar ones.

Poor effort on the PK and it was done.

Normally after 2 or 3 calls, the calls start going the other way.

The waived off goal was impossible to ignore, but the contact was due to being pushed into Demko.

Incidental contact call is BS.  I guess that's the only choice without a penalty.

Hard to be upset about this one for me. I don't think they played poorly at 5 on 5, they got were done in by bad penalties, a bad pk and then the game just went off the rails. It happens. 

Correct a few things and move on but I wouldn't be putting a lot of stock into this one personally. one of those games that easily could have swayed the other way. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Hard to be upset about this one for me. I don't think they played poorly at 5 on 5, they got were done in by bad penalties, a bad pk and then the game just went off the rails. It happens. 

Correct a few things and move on but I wouldn't be putting a lot of stock into this one personally. one of those games that easily could have swayed the other way. 

Sutter mentioned that 5v5 was good as well.  I thought the amount of zone time we allowed impacted us negatively.  But the PK killed us.  Not sure specifically what we did poorly.  Haven't seen results like that in some time.  

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

The only thing about 5v5 I’d say is, they weren’t doing enough to warrant many calls the other way. There were some missed calls and calls the other way that were penalties but the difference was that the standard wasn’t the same. But for me, I think it’s because the team wasn’t getting into the hard areas where those calls would be made. I hope this makes sense? The did get a few quality chances.

Ones I would say were slashes to hands, but that’s called maybe 25% of the time. It’s still BS but what can you do? 

their goalie was good when he had to be. Ours started out good but let it go after. One thing I think is the team didn’t defend as a unit as much in last night’s game.

The Canucks look like they’re on a mission and looked like a good team last night. They’ve won 4/5 so they’re clicking right now. 

i saw some things that need work. Sure they were ok 5v5 but that’s where eye test trumps the %’s for me. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

The only thing about 5v5 I’d say is, they weren’t doing enough to warrant many calls the other way. There were some missed calls and calls the other way that were penalties but the difference was that the standard wasn’t the same. But for me, I think it’s because the team wasn’t getting into the hard areas where those calls would be made. I hope this makes sense? The did get a few quality chances.

Ones I would say were slashes to hands, but that’s called maybe 25% of the time. It’s still BS but what can you do? 

their goalie was good when he had to be. Ours started out good but let it go after. One thing I think is the team didn’t defend as a unit as much in last night’s game.

The Canucks look like they’re on a mission and looked like a good team last night. They’ve won 4/5 so they’re clicking right now. 

i saw some things that need work. Sure they were ok 5v5 but that’s where eye test trumps the %’s for me. 

The bolded ignores a lot of things that were pretty blatant.  I can count at least three occasions that were so obvious and so ignored.  Not even the hooking calls let go that we would get called for.  OEL retaliation on Mangiapane, who gets called?  Normally OEL would get the call.  Dube hacked/slashed/high sticked to the point of blood.  He gets a high sticking call.  Gaudreau high sticked.  Nothing except a 10 minute early bedtime for Johnny for speaking.   Gaudreau (early on) having two guys hooking and holding him.  Nadda.

Maybe the point is not that they weren't doing enough, but they were not falling down or selling it.  34 minutes to 2.  Sutter did his usual response to the bad calls and lack of them.  Won't speak to it after the game, which is correct.  GM can do it if he likes, but it rarely works.

Take out the special teams and this is likely a tie game going into the third.  But anyway, it's the type of game we have to be more successful at.  We have always suffered from excess calls in the playoffs.  We did a poor job of PK last night.  Not close to what we normally see.  We don't have anyone to account for the one timer from the right circle.  One goal from there and one off the crossbar.  The D were too collapsed IMHO.  Hanifin or Guddy or whoever backed off instead of taking the most dangerous player.  

The one thing the Canucks game showed us was that our penalty kill can be neutralized by rapid passing and constant movement.  The other thing the game showed us is our movement is becoming predictable.  How many times did a pass or play against the wall get intercepted?  And how many times did a defence shot get blocked because of “trying to find the right shot”.  Our offensive play needs to be more rapid off the points, with more shots towards the net, less cross rink passing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

ya to clarify I thought the flames took bad penalties. Officiating maybe wasn’t great but wasn’t a key issue for me. Flames needed to be more disciplined 

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'd say in the big picture it's good to see this streak end. We were beginning to get too much unwanted media attention.

Yes I agree. Too much attention around the league period. We are a blue-collar team that needs to stay out of the limelight. The run was great but…. Good opportunity now for Sutter to grab the team’s attention to again work on the finer details of the game. It was comical today listening to the talking heads, not sure if it was radio or tv, but they were talking about who the 3-4 hottest teams in the league are now. With 1 Flames loss in the last 10 games they look to have dropped off the face of the earth, they are now talking about other teams who have won 4 in a row. Perfect.

Can't win them all but lets try to win the majority that remain.

11 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Yes I agree. Too much attention around the league period. We are a blue-collar team that needs to stay out of the limelight. The run was great but…. Good opportunity now for Sutter to grab the team’s attention to again work on the finer details of the game. It was comical today listening to the talking heads, not sure if it was radio or tv, but they were talking about who the 3-4 hottest teams in the league are now. With 1 Flames loss in the last 10 games they look to have dropped off the face of the earth, they are now talking about other teams who have won 4 in a row. Perfect.

Can't win them all but lets try to win the majority that remain.

The MSM can only focus on the present.  Never mind the solid record the Flames have.  Don't worry about the way Calgary was winning games; that is past and they lost by a touchdown.  Saying Montreal and hot in the same sentence is like saying Vancouver fans and classy in the same sentence; an insult to intelligence.