Maple Leafs @ FLAMES - Thursday 10 February 2022

rocketdoctor

Just now, LouCifer said:

I’ll say this. The leafs like to run and gun and take over the whole ice surface if you let them. Period 1 and the beginning of period 2 looked like that. But when you tighten up on them and start being physical, the ice surface becomes smaller for this team. They are used to their speed forcing teams to back off. If we challenge them, hit them, and effectively cage and frustrate them, they struggle to get any traction. 

I think you and Conum pointed out their weakness.  Who plays they physical?  Ottawa maybe.  We don't do it last game and lose a squeaker.  We blow up two players and suddenly they are starting to panic.  We score one and then a quick 2nd one, they fall to pieces. 

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I think you and Conum pointed out their weakness.  Who plays they physical?  Ottawa maybe.  We don't do it last game and lose a squeaker.  We blow up two players and suddenly they are starting to panic.  We score one and then a quick 2nd one, they fall to pieces. 

It’s been the Leafs biggest knock for so many years. They’re not built for playoff hockey. When the game tightens up, they struggle and implode. I’ve seen this movie replay over here a lot. The flames have something really good going on this year. There’s an opportunity to make it special. I hope BT can get them some depth. I often like to point out Vegas’ first year roster. They essentially had 3 second-lines and a third line. That kind of depth carried them to the SCF in their first year. We can setup very similarly if BT can bring in the right pieces.