FLAMES @ Lightning - Thurs 6 Jan 2022

rocketdoctor

19 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

we need more speed, more goals, a number1D, and tighten up the D zone coverage?

I'd agree with that. We need a 2nd line that's more threatening. Backlund at 2C is zero threat. Coleman's the only threat on that line. Backlund's O instincts are bleeding in the gutter. Skate over blueline, shoot puck to the goalie.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Backlund hasn't looked good since he was playing with Mangiapane.

I think the lines have looked mostly bad for the last few games.

We lucked out with two wins where we maybe didn't have the right mix but managed the points.

The last two have been completely wrong.

Backlund isn't playing a good defensive game now.

He certainly isn't a skilled shooter.

His skating used to get him ahead of the D and he was able to cut to the net.

Not lately.

I don't think it has anything to do with linemates. He was playing fired up to start the year. Some would say he was taking bad penalties, but not me.

I recall a game thread saying, "that guy, right there, that's our captain". But he's fallen back to the things I never liked in him. Not getting engaged, almost to the point of disinterest.

He's gotta snap out of it. Stop trying to win a Masterson.

He's gotta let the dog run. His intensity level can be zero. Hohum, there's blueline, shoot to goalie. Get faceoff for 1st line. Is he saving himself for the right girl?lol as we used to say. Show some intensity. Damn.

I know Sutter loves Backlund…but I think it’s time he goes back to

the 3rd line and move Monaback to the 2nd line Ctr…well to be quite honest you know you have issues whenever Backlund is your #2 Ctr…don’t get me wrong he’s great in many areas but scoring have never been his thing…probably the best #3 Ctr you could ask for but #2 he is and ever was.

i still think they need to look at pairings..our RW is just non existent…

Tachuck/Lindholm 

Gaudreau/Monahan 

manji/Razi or Dube in any of these two 

Lucic/Backlund 

and let the others slot in where they are 1. Not hindering those pairs and 2. If by some miracle anyone clicks with any of those pairs be very thankful.

personally, I’d try to fit Coleman, Manji and Dube with either Tachuck and Lindholm or Gaudreau and Monahan 

The idea of Backlund with Lucic I think could be a really good mix..maybe with Backlund’s possession and Lucic’s drive to the net could open some offensive threat in the bottom lines…and if not it would

Probably be a very safe shutdown grind down the other team line…or both!

id much rather Manji as our #3 Lw with Raz he seems to be really good as a 3rd liner option.  Although Backlund would be the better option I think Raz fits better with Manji 

anyway, this team is starting to show its flaws…99% of it is we are LW heavy and have nothing on the RW…and no, moving a LW to RW dose not make a RW..it’s a bandaid which is now starting to peel off 

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I don't think it has anything to do with linemates. He was playing fired up to start the year. Some would say he was taking bad penalties, but not me.

I recall a game thread saying, "that guy, right there, that's our captain". But he's fallen back to the things I never liked in him. Not getting engaged, almost to the point of disinterest.

He's gotta snap out of it. Stop trying to win a Masterson.

He's gotta let the dog run. His intensity level can be zero. Hohum, there's blueline, shoot to goalie. Get faceoff for 1st line. Is he saving himself for the right girl?lol as we used to say. Show some intensity. Damn.

It may not have been his linemates, but he was much more engaged when he played with Mangiapane.

We've seen so many versions but since they moved Dube back to C, Backlund seems to have taken a pouter.

I don't remember who Backlund was playing with before now.

Mange and Lucic?

Mange and Dube?

I'll preface this by saying that I don't think we need to make a bunch of conclusions off these 2 games. Playing 2 of the best teams in the league after an extended break due to COVID doesn't exactly provide the best measuring stick so I'm willing to grant some slack. 

That being said, as the season goes the Flames are settling into the team I thought they would be. They are good, likely going to make the playoffs and probably be a top half team, but they just don't have either the high end talent or the great depth to go toe to toe with the power of the league. They need to tighten up Defensively, why I point to the break as being a legitimate reason, so they can keep games close and hopefully next time against teams like this you get a break or 2. 

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'd agree with that. We need a 2nd line that's more threatening. Backlund at 2C is zero threat. Coleman's the only threat on that line. Backlund's O instincts are bleeding in the gutter. Skate over blueline, shoot puck to the goalie.

I think you said it earlier. 

i think Backlund is playing very uninspiring hockey. I don’t know what it is. He was playing with some fire earlier, but I feel something deeper Is going on. Playing like a team player, playing with whomever he is put with. I feel he could be deflated. He’s missing shots, other guys aren’t scoring. You would think Backlund and Coleman would be a good match. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'll preface this by saying that I don't think we need to make a bunch of conclusions off these 2 games. Playing 2 of the best teams in the league after an extended break due to COVID doesn't exactly provide the best measuring stick so I'm willing to grant some slack. 

That being said, as the season goes the Flames are settling into the team I thought they would be. They are good, likely going to make the playoffs and probably be a top half team, but they just don't have either the high end talent or the great depth to go toe to toe with the power of the league. They need to tighten up Defensively, why I point to the break as being a legitimate reason, so they can keep games close and hopefully next time against teams like this you get a break or 2. 

i agree,

But I  also think that these habits were creeping into their game before the break. And now they’ve had some practice time to implement some of the philosophies Sutter is preaching. I don’t know how much slack to give since it’s been 4 games in now. I’d give them the benefit of the doubt for the first few. Maybe it’s good that they had these games and Sutter can go and say they need to play a certain way to be successful. The wins in the first two were games they won without the systems. 

it has been a weird year. A lot of games and no practice time. Then a long break and couldn’t practice. And maybe going into o practice time again.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i agree,

But I  also think that these habits were creeping into their game before the break. And now they’ve had some practice time to implement some of the philosophies Sutter is preaching. I don’t know how much slack to give since it’s been 4 games in now. I’d give them the benefit of the doubt for the first few. Maybe it’s good that they had these games and Sutter can go and say they need to play a certain way to be successful. The wins in the first two were games they won without the systems. 

it has been a weird year. A lot of games and no practice time. Then a long break and couldn’t practice. And maybe going into o practice time again.

I think defensive details are the first thing to go when a team has a break like the Flames did and it's not always something you find in the first few games. See if it continues but for me it's not that surprising that it's been shaky since coming back. 

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think defensive details are the first thing to go when a team has a break like the Flames did and it's not always something you find in the first few games. See if it continues but for me it's not that surprising that it's been shaky since coming back. 

This is probably the poorest D in a two game stretch we have had all season.  Crazy amount of shots against.  Most high dangers chances against.  We haven't been like that in quite some time.  Can't really remember when we were that bad.  We are probably a unique team for having everyone in the exact same boat at the same time.  Nobody to maintain the team's play from December.  Instead of a couple day break it was almost 3 weeks with no home games again.

I will suspend by criticism for now.  I would like to see what they do tonight and next home game.  They have another extended break between games. 

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

This is probably the poorest D in a two game stretch we have had all season.  Crazy amount of shots against.  Most high dangers chances against.  We haven't been like that in quite some time.  Can't really remember when we were that bad.  We are probably a unique team for having everyone in the exact same boat at the same time.  Nobody to maintain the team's play from December.  Instead of a couple day break it was almost 3 weeks with no home games again.

I will suspend by criticism for now.  I would like to see what they do tonight and next home game.  They have another extended break between games. 

Food for thought, the culprits are not likely who you think they are either. Might surprise people but over the last 2 games over half the team is still positive in most shot metrics. The ones who are under water:

Richardson

Ritchie

Lucic

Hanifin

Andersson

Monahan

Tanev

Gaudreau

Tkachuk

Kylington

Dube

When your best players are not your best players your not going to beat top teams. Put me in the camp that doesn't think that will continue. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Food for thought, the culprits are not likely who you think they are either. Might surprise people but over the last 2 games over half the team is still positive in most shot metrics. The ones who are under water:

Richardson

Ritchie

Lucic

Hanifin

Andersson

Monahan

Tanev

Gaudreau

Tkachuk

Kylington

Dube

When your best players are not your best players your not going to beat top teams. Put me in the camp that doesn't think that will continue. 

or we just have trouble against teams like this.