2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

Just now, cross16 said:

It’s almost like perhaps we should put more faith in the scouts who actually watch and analyze these prospects instead of relying on people who don’t do it for a living?

haha!

It’s like I said in a previous post, that a lot of teams have chosen to go other routes. 

I like the Stromgren pick.

Sure he’s a LHS, but he adds size and skating ability to the Flames prospect pool. Again, this isn’t the NFL draft, yes the Flames have a lot of LHS, but Stromgren is under contract in Sweden for a few more seasons. The Flames will look much different then 

I think the idea of consensus at the draft is garbage in a regular year. This year when players barely played, or had to move around the world to play, and teams couldn't scout the way they normally would, you throw the idea of consensus out the window. 

I am going to say it again. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CONSENSUS AT THE DRAFT!

• Like 2

Just now, cross16 said:

It’s almost like perhaps we should put more faith in the scouts who actually watch and analyze these prospects instead of relying on people who don’t do it for a living?

I've got no complaints about who we have taken.  Euros are so difficult to research, and their stats always look iinferior to NA players.

Means nothing. 

Too bad WPG picked the Russian, but who knows really.  

The funny thing about the Stromgren pick is for so long we’ve heard about how the Flames are not big enough, fast enough, not north-south enough and don’t have a power forward

Well they just drafted that skill set. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

We should.  If we did, we'd have Wallstedt and Chibrikov right now.    

When we just go off Loob's advice for instance, we are totally ignoring the collective professionalism of the entire scouting industry.  We are going with our guy, because we think maybe he's got an inside track even though he scouts less than 1% of the draft pool.

We're not going by stats, we're not going by scouts, what we're going by is nepotism.  period.

Just now, The_Snowbear said:

maybe make it so people like it cause we have seen alot of trades happen and it just seems he is holding and not wanting to give up anything

I get it cuz it’s really one of the main reasons I am watching. 

we have about 4?days to sign Johnny or trade him. But need to get these deals right if they trade one of the Johnny, Monny, or Tkachuk 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

The funny thing about the Stromgren pick is for so long we’ve heard about how the Flames are not big enough, fast enough, not north-south enough and don’t have a power forward

Well they just drafted that skill set. 

but these guys on tv talked about how he needed work on his strides. I didn’t hear speed on the guy. 

1 minute ago, The_Snowbear said:

maybe make it so people like it cause we have seen alot of trades happen and it just seems he is holding and not wanting to give up anything

All the big trades so far have been big swings.

Jones, OEL are big risky trades.

Reinhard traded for who even knows what.

Weird that they can't even confirm the return on a trade made yesterday.

Just now, robrob74 said:

but these guys on tv talked about how he needed work on his strides. I didn’t hear speed on the guy. 

He’s 6’3 at 18 years old, of course he does. 

if he didn’t he would have been a top 10 pick. 

14 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This Flames management group likes a certain type of player and Coronato fits with that.

The Chicago Steel announcer called him “The Bison” because he likes to go to the net and crash and bang. Flames need more of that 

Sounds a little like Mang of course my biggest fear is sighning him in 4 yrs since his favorite team is NY perhaps they will be kind enough to give us a third for him since he will not be signing here and I know I'm the glass half empty kind of person but he has no elegance to this team and loves NY I just don't understand the thinking behind picking NCAA players. If he becomes an elite type player chances are we lose him if he is a 3-4th line player then perhaps he will sign here. I hate BT right now 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

When we just go off Loob's advice for instance, we are totally ignoring the collective professionalism of the entire scouting industry.  We are going with our guy, because we think maybe he's got an inside track even though he scouts less than 1% of the draft pool.

We're not going by stats, we're not going by scouts, what we're going by is nepotism.  period.

it’s kind of how I feel, especially the past few years.

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

That over-simplifies it.  And it's probably not even close to being true.

1 minute ago, zima said:

Sounds a little like Mang of course my biggest fear is sighning him in 4 yrs since his favorite team is NY perhaps they will be kind enough to give us a third for him since he will not be signing here and I know I'm the glass half empty kind of person but he has no elegance to this team and loves NY I just don't understand the thinking behind picking NCAA players. If he becomes an elite type player chances are we lose him if he is a 3-4th line player then perhaps he will sign here. I hate BT right now 

How many 1st rounders wait 4 years to avoid signing with the team that picked him?

Can you name them?