2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Trues.  BT's first contract was 5-years long I remember.  That gave him time to plan.

He's now entering the 2nd year of a 3-year extension.  Does he panic and try to win now knowing he'll be fired if the Flames don't make the playoffs next season?

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Unlikely that this year's draft impacts the team in the next two years.

And he would have that fight with Sutter if he chose to keep them after camp.

There's little to none players that are NHL ready.

At best, in year 2 a few might, but those are tops in the draft.

If we win the lotto, we get the best pick anyway.

He thinks this is a “good team” that has underperformed. I’d be willing to bet he trades the puck to get something to help in the now. Supplement this “good team” with players to compliment them, and we have a WINNER! Ok, in all seriousness, I think he goes that route and we are worse off in a few years for it. 

chicken or the egg? We are playing chicken! 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

#1 - possible.

#2 - hasn't really been the MO in the last number of years.  Bennett was likely the last one we did rush, and that's debatable whether it was all on the GM.

#3 - anyone's guess who will be BPA by the time we draft.

I guess I don't share the same concern as you regarding the draft.  In the remote chance we trade the 1st, it's not going to be for a Kadri.  

i get what he is saying, but I think what I worry about is that he uses draft picks to try upgrade the team for the now. I guess the Hamilton deal was a success, but a lot of the other draft pick deals haven’t been, and we are kind of seeing the fallout from that. I am afraid he goes that route and we miss out on something big again. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i get what he is saying, but I think what I worry about is that he uses draft picks to try upgrade the team for the now. I guess the Hamilton deal was a success, but a lot of the other draft pick deals haven’t been, and we are kind of seeing the fallout from that. I am afraid he goes that route and we miss out on something big again. 

Like I was saying, we aren't trading a 1st for an older player near the end of his prime.

Only a team desperate for a another pick around 12 would be willing to give the Flames the kind of player that they would go for.

Buffalo wants to trade Cozens for a 1st?  Sure, why not.

Or a top LD young enough?  With that, I think they would be really careful to make that trade.

Other than that, I don't see it. 

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

#1 - possible.

#2 - hasn't really been the MO in the last number of years.  Bennett was likely the last one we did rush, and that's debatable whether it was all on the GM.

#3 - anyone's guess who will be BPA by the time we draft.

I guess I don't share the same concern as you regarding the draft.  In the remote chance we trade the 1st, it's not going to be for a Kadri.  

yeah we are apart on the strength of this draft.   and I'm in the minority.    There are a good number of players in this draft i would pick ahead of Kadri (doesn't help that I don't like Kadri).

45 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

yeah we are apart on the strength of this draft.   and I'm in the minority.    There are a good number of players in this draft i would pick ahead of Kadri (doesn't help that I don't like Kadri).

How do you figure we are apart?

I specifically said I would not trade for Kadri or that ilk a player.

Would you not trade this year's 1st for a 23 year old Dougie Hamilton?

Not a Kadri or Hamonic.

Forget the noise about what happened since then.

Couple days out of the draft lotto, here's my mock prior to that. I used Tankathon and CBJ is picking 1st, BUF 2nd.

1. CBJ- Owen Power. All of a sudden CBJ looks like a team destined for a deep rebuild, they take the D in the draft with the highest upside. 

2. BUF- Mason McTavish- It could easily be Beniers and probably should be, but who knows with BUF and their limited scouting staff. If anyone drops a surprise early in the draft, it's the Sabres.

3. ANA- William Eklund- the Ducks are well into their rebuild and they add the most talented player in the draft. If he's slightly taller he's the top pick.

4. SEA- Brandt Clarke- The Kraken select the most talented offensive D-man in the draft with their first selection in their history.

5. NJ- Luke Hughes- The Devils keep Jack happy and pick Luke.

6. DET- Matt Beniers- The Wings take a look in their backyard at Ann Arbor and select the Wolverine, Beniers

7. SJ- Simon Edvinsson- Pretty empty prospect cupboard in SJ. They've spent 9 consecutive picks on forwards, so I think they look at a D or Wallstedt.

8. LA- Jesper Wallstedt- Arguably the deepest prospect pool in the league, but they don't have that standout G prospect, Wallstedt changes that.

9. VAN- Kent Johnson- Canucks select the hometown kid, he should put up massive numbers with Michigan next season.

10. OTT- Dylan Guenther- Ottawa is so deep in prospects, it's hard to guess which way they may go, they take the BPA and run this pick in as this would be a "slide" for Guenther.

11- ARI forefeited

12. CHI- Cole Sillinger- Produced in the WHL and USHL, great bloodlines and already has an NHL caliber shot. 

13. CGY- Chaz Lucius- I think I'd go with Lucius here, the biggest issue is he hardly played this season. He was phenomenal when healthy though, scoring a goal a game, despite the small sample size.

I'm guaranteed to be wrong and someone will fall to the Flames, it's just a matter of seeing who it will be. 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

How do you figure we are apart?

I specifically said I would not trade for Kadri or that ilk a player.

Would you not trade this year's 1st for a 23 year old Dougie Hamilton?

Not a Kadri or Hamonic.

Forget the noise about what happened since then.

Sorry maybe I misunderstood the Kadri context.

OH wow.    23 year old Hamilton for the first overall this year.

I can tell you that it would be a difficult decision.    Ultimately, I Probably would not pull the trigger on that trade.

I can say this:  An 18 year old draft elligible Hamilton, easy decision to say no.  He had size and RHS, but his performance on draft day was nowhere near that of the defencemen in this draft.     You've added the complication of a 23 year old Hamilton though.  Because as we all know now, he turned out.

I would think very hard on it and likely not do the trade.   I believe strongly that there are multiple defencemen in this draft who will have better careers than Hamilton.   And I would take the risk of finding one of them with the first overall pick.      I think this draft holds one or more Norris trophy winners.

The tradeoff, of course, is that none of the top rated defencemen in this draft are a 6'6 RHS.   Then again, at 23 and even now, Hamilton was a bit of a defensive liability and it will likely keep him parted from the Norris trophy.

And of course if I was trading for the Flames, it would be easy.   Because even a 23 year old Hamilton is likely too old for the rebuild they're going to have to go through here.

The only way I might pull that trigger is if I was a contender and somehow had the first overall pick.     Like, due to some catastrophic injuries plus lotto luck, got the first overall pick despite expecting to contend for the cup next year.          Which is insanely unlikely.  Although I am sure the Flames think they are this like they always do.

6 hours ago, JTech780 said:

https://nhlentrydraft.com/mock-draft/57994

I just did a mock draft, the link above are my results.

13.Mason McTavish

45.Vincent Iorio

77.Olivier Nadeau

86. Red Savage

141.Tristan Lennox

173.Chase Stillman

205.Francesco Arcuri

hmm.   so is this automated or do you kind of rank them?   I've never tried.       

Not loving the first pick,   Really liking Chase Stillman as a late round pick.   I feel he'll go sooner, that would be amazing.

Also loving Red Savage and Nadeau.

Vincent Iorio   on the fence.

Not loving Lennox or Arcuri.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Couple days out of the draft lotto, here's my mock prior to that. I used Tankathon and CBJ is picking 1st, BUF 2nd.

1. CBJ- Owen Power. All of a sudden CBJ looks like a team destined for a deep rebuild, they take the D in the draft with the highest upside. 

2. BUF- Mason McTavish- It could easily be Beniers and probably should be, but who knows with BUF and their limited scouting staff. If anyone drops a surprise early in the draft, it's the Sabres.

3. ANA- William Eklund- the Ducks are well into their rebuild and they add the most talented player in the draft. If he's slightly taller he's the top pick.

4. SEA- Brandt Clarke- The Kraken select the most talented offensive D-man in the draft with their first selection in their history.

5. NJ- Luke Hughes- The Devils keep Jack happy and pick Luke.

6. DET- Matt Beniers- The Wings take a look in their backyard at Ann Arbor and select the Wolverine, Beniers

7. SJ- Simon Edvinsson- Pretty empty prospect cupboard in SJ. They've spent 9 consecutive picks on forwards, so I think they look at a D or Wallstedt.

8. LA- Jesper Wallstedt- Arguably the deepest prospect pool in the league, but they don't have that standout G prospect, Wallstedt changes that.

9. VAN- Kent Johnson- Canucks select the hometown kid, he should put up massive numbers with Michigan next season.

10. OTT- Dylan Guenther- Ottawa is so deep in prospects, it's hard to guess which way they may go, they take the BPA and run this pick in as this would be a "slide" for Guenther.

11- ARI forefeited

12. CHI- Cole Sillinger- Produced in the WHL and USHL, great bloodlines and already has an NHL caliber shot. 

13. CGY- Chaz Lucius- I think I'd go with Lucius here, the biggest issue is he hardly played this season. He was phenomenal when healthy though, scoring a goal a game, despite the small sample size.

I'm guaranteed to be wrong and someone will fall to the Flames, it's just a matter of seeing who it will be. 

Pretty nice list.   I do think someone will fall but that list looks sane.    I have all fingers crossed for a D/G but I can't fault your Lucius pick.   When you look at some of the players out there I actually have a very hard time seeing how this can be considered a weak draft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Pretty nice list.   I do think someone will fall but that list looks sane.    I have all fingers crossed for a D/G but I can't fault your Lucius pick.   When you look at some of the players out there I actually have a very hard time seeing how this can be considered a weak draft.

Someone will certainly fall. That's just how I'm seeing it right now.

I think if anyone ends up in the lap of the Flames it's Guenther or Johnson and if it's a D, Edvinsson. I like those forwards more than McTavish, but the league always reaches for centres. I probably went with McTavish too high here, but that's more a reflection of what I think of the Sabres than anything else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

OH wow.    23 year old Hamilton for the first overall this year.

Getting ahead of yourself.

Christmas is coming, soon.

I merely said 1st round, not 1st overall.

Frr a 1st overall, we should expect a Dougie + and Cozens.

I'm greedy.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Getting ahead of yourself.

Christmas is coming, soon.

I merely said 1st round, not 1st overall.

Frr a 1st overall, we should expect a Dougie + and Cozens.

I'm greedy.

12th overall for 23 year old Dougie?

Ok that I'd probably do lol, I'm still not sure that you end up with the better player but you're removing all that risk.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

5pm Tomorrow June 2, 2021

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

Flames odds,

1st 2.2%

2nd 2.4%

13th 87%

14th 8.4%

15th 0.1%

But technically Arizona doesn't pick so slide those pick numbers up.  

Good luck to us!

Arizona forfeits their pick but they are still part of the lottery so those odds are accurate. If they were to win they have to re draw. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Using the FC Mock Draft Simulator that JTech posted, here's what I got.

13th- Cole Sillinger C/LW

46th- Sasha Pastujov RW

77th- Aleksi Malinen LD

86th- Aleksi Heimosalmi RD

141st- Jack O'Brien C

173rd- Isaac Beliveau LD

205th- Talyn Boyko G

No idea who those players are other than Sillinger. 

Assuming we stay at 13th, it seems Sillinger, McTavish, or Lucius will be available to us... And, the choice will be made for us by our turn.  It's whoever of the 3 are left.  Based on very little youtube highlights, I would rank them,

1. Sillinger - most dynamic and best skater of the 3.  Can carry the puck up ice and carry the play.

2. McTavish - slowest skater of the 3 but has a great shot.  Sneaky shooter and smart around the net.

3. Lucius - looks very vanilla and safe.  No major holes but I question the upside as his highlight packages didn't flash anything special about him.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

No idea who those players are other than Sillinger. 

Assuming we stay at 13th, it seems Sillinger, McTavish, or Lucius will be available to us... And, the choice will be made for us by our turn.  It's whoever of the 3 are left.  Based on very little youtube highlights, I would rank them,

1. Sillinger - most dynamic and best skater of the 3.  Can carry the puck up ice and carry the play.

2. McTavish - slowest skater of the 3 but has a great shot.  Sneaky shooter and smart around the net.

3. Lucius - looks very vanilla and safe.  No major holes but I question the upside as his highlight packages didn't flash anything special about him.

Quick run through on that mock

Pastujov is really talented. LH that plays RW. Smart player, really creative. Should be a 1st rounder.

Malinen is playing pro in Finland and he’s done fine for a young kid. Heimosalmi was really good in the U18s. He’s a smaller guy but a good puck mover.

O’Brien had a good 19/20 season in the WHL, but fell off this year, played in the USHL and WHL. Belliveau is like O’Brien, had a good 19/20 season and then fell off in 21, question is why? But that’s why they’d be available at that point in the draft.

Boyko is a really big goalie that shows some athleticism, not normally a fan of the 6’6” goalies as they are really hit and miss, but in the 7th, why not 

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You have to think Buffalo is going to get #1.

#2 is less clear.

As long as it isn't someone behind us like NY.

That's who I'd bet on if I was betting on it.

But I'd rather be taking bets and marking up the spread lol.

Anyway I was of course kidding about them picking Bettman's favorite team.   We all know he doesn't watch sports.

5 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

That's who I'd bet on if I was betting on it.

But I'd rather be taking bets and marking up the spread lol.

Anyway I was of course kidding about them picking Bettman's favorite team.   We all know he doesn't watch sports.

Tinfoil hat people would tell you that he lines up the lotto winners based on the arena status.

McDavid for the Oil Drop.

Crosby for the Igloo replacement (Americans sure loved the term Eskimo).

NYR to pay for the MSG reno.

We should be looking for unprotected lotto picks in 22 and 23.

We may not be otherwise fortunate enough to get a lotto pick ourselves.