2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Boy these highlight packages are brutal.  It's quite literally "he shoots he scores" for minutes on end.  Can these guys even hockey in between that? 

Based on what I can tell,

McTavish has a great shot but looks kinda slow.

Sillinger seems to move around quicker.

I would favour Sillinger here.

There’s certainly some poor goaltending in those clips.

I think I would lean Sillinger although I’m not sure he’s a C as an NHLer he may be a winger. McTavish might go before the Flames are even on the clock as he profiles as an NHL centre and might be the second best in the draft behind Beniers. Johnson, Guenther and Eklund are likely wingers.

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Boy these highlight packages are brutal.  It's quite literally "he shoots he scores" for minutes on end.  Can these guys even hockey in between that? 

Based on what I can tell,

McTavish has a great shot but looks kinda slow.

Sillinger seems to move around quicker.

I would favour Sillinger here.

Sillinger certainly played a lot in Canada for a Yank.

For some reason, USHL players seem to become stars.

Not all, but the learn how to score.

His profile says his skating is choppy and not great, but his IQ and deception is off the chart.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sillinger certainly played a lot in Canada for a Yank.

For some reason, USHL players seem to become stars.

Not all, but the learn how to score.

His profile says his skating is choppy and not great, but his IQ and deception is off the chart.

He's dual. Born in Columbus but raised in Regina.

Good player, his dad played a very long time in the league. Probably a safe bet to be an NHLer. In a year like this, there's value in that. 

13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

He's dual. Born in Columbus but raised in Regina.

Good player, his dad played a very long time in the league. Probably a safe bet to be an NHLer. In a year like this, there's value in that. 

I'm sure some bigger names will drop.

Besides, we are getting #2 this year.

good highlight reels but I would have a bit of a breakdown if we drafted a forward this year lol.     I do think one of the big 4 D, or G will drop to us.

I also think there's some other D in the mid first-round and later that are ....highly under-rated because the top 4 getting so much attention right now.  I would not be upset if we picked up a later first round pick or even a 2nd rounder

When your needs run deep, you need to be pretty confident in your scouting (crazy year for talent evaluation).

Teams ahead of us currently have as many needs as us, so I can't see any team passing on a top 6 player.

A couple of teams could easily pick the top goalie.

You may find a gem on D at 13.  Likely not one of the top ones.

I would be shuffed if we picked Cossa at 13.

Or a 5'9" LW.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

When your needs run deep, you need to be pretty confident in your scouting (crazy year for talent evaluation).

Teams ahead of us currently have as many needs as us, so I can't see any team passing on a top 6 player.

A couple of teams could easily pick the top goalie.

You may find a gem on D at 13.  Likely not one of the top ones.

I would be shuffed if we picked Cossa at 13.

Or a 5'9" LW.

Is it officially 13 now?  pending lottery?   I was promised 10-12 lol.  dammmmit.

really a lottery win this year would be great.  as good as next couple years I'm not so sure.

I would also be shuffed at either of those although Cossa could surprise.   There will be top 6 players available at 13, the hard part, like you say, is finding them.

Still got my fingers crossed for an upgrade or a lotto win.  I really do like this draft but it's hard to play right.

Just now, jjgallow said:

Is it officially 13 now?  pending lottery?   I was promised 10-12 lol.  dammmmit.

really a lottery win this year would be great.  as good as next couple years I'm not so sure.

I would also be shuffed at either of those although Cossa could surprise.   There will be top 6 players available at 13, the hard part, like you say, is finding them.

Still got my fingers crossed for an upgrade or a lotto win.  I really do like this draft but it's hard to play right.

Even if it's 13th, it's 12th as the ARI pick isn't happening lol. 

I'm most likely wrong, but knowing the luck of the Flames org, the most uncertain draft year in history will be the one they win the lotto. 

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Even if it's 13th, it's 12th as the ARI pick isn't happening lol. 

I'm most likely wrong, but knowing the luck of the Flames org, the most uncertain draft year in history will be the one they win the lotto. 

ORLY.   12 is better than 13, for reals.    every single spot counts.  thanks.

I think if you have 8th or better, you are basically guaranteed to get either on of the top 4 D, or Wallstedt.

At 12th, there is a 50/50 chance of Wallstedt and maybe a 20% chance at once of the top 4 D.

13th, and I don't think there's much chance of anything.  So that's good.

I also hope for an upgrade or another 1st in a trade.    I do feel that this is a highly under-rated draft and I'd love to see that taken advantage of.

8 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

ORLY.   12 is better than 13, for reals.    every single spot counts.  thanks.

I think if you have 8th or better, you are basically guaranteed to get either on of the top 4 D, or Wallstedt.

At 12th, there is a 50/50 chance of Wallstedt and maybe a 20% chance at once of the top 4 D.

13th, and I don't think there's much chance of anything.  So that's good.

I also hope for an upgrade or another 1st in a trade.    I do feel that this is a highly under-rated draft and I'd love to see that taken advantage of.

One of the D may fall, depends on what the league thinks of Mason McTavish. Most experts have him as the #2C in the draft, which could have him in the top 10.  If NJ and VAN weren't picking ahead of the Flames, I could see Luke Hughes sliding a bit. 

I've floated this idea before of Monahan to CBJ, they have 3 1st's and are starving for C. I'm not sure Monahan fetches a 1 straight up at this point though, so maybe a pick swap would have to be in order. 

We going to draft a C next year and the year after that.  Their names are Wright and Bedard.  Use this year to draft a G or D.  We will thank ourselves in 3 years.

But in all seriousness, there appears to be much better C's in the next two years.  Take them then.  This year take a D or G.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

One of the D may fall, depends on what the league thinks of Mason McTavish. Most experts have him as the #2C in the draft, which could have him in the top 10.  If NJ and VAN weren't picking ahead of the Flames, I could see Luke Hughes sliding a bit. 

I've floated this idea before of Monahan to CBJ, they have 3 1st's and are starving for C. I'm not sure Monahan fetches a 1 straight up at this point though, so maybe a pick swap would have to be in order. 

maybe throw in the 2nd rounder to make it happen?  not the worst trade proposal i ever heard

I’ve said it before, but as I’ve dug more into this draft, for me there are two (maybe 3 for JJ) that I am looking at. I have our needs at Brandt Clarke or Dylan Guenther. If we’re in the running for either of them at our pick you take the one you like better, I would also leave room for Wallstedt. But outside of them, I think you look at packaging our pick with another asset (like Johnny or Money) to move the team into a better position for the future. 
Maybe I’m stubborn and unreasonable but I’m tired of taking what’s left for us with our 1st round pick. We took Money when we really wanted Mackinnon (and if rumours are true, took a good run at him), but when it didn’t work we took Money as second fiddle. We lucked into Tkachuk when Vancity went off the board with Juolevi. Benny was there right where we wanted and in my opinion was a great pick no matter how it turned out. 
And lately Pelltier and Zary in the mid 20’s are similar in nature, low risk low reward picks, that are good team guys, leaders, hard workers. We need a game changer, and if we’re not gonna get one with our pick then do something different.

• Like 1

Coronato is a good player, 51 games 48-37=85, plays with some bite, 57pims. Committed to Harvard so it's a bit of a project in the sense that this player isn't signing anytime soon. Best case scenario, 3 seasons, but likely 4 ,after his college career is over.

This video on Bourgault is more about his process than a highlight pack. One of the older players in the draft, like Zary was last season. 71pts in 63 games last year, 40pts in 29 games this season. 

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Coronado looks like a big riser, and it's possible that he ends up in the top 15.

It's too bad we don't have a 15th overall to go with a lotto pick.

Then again, we might still go with 2 D if that happened.

The Fox-Harvard thing is likely still fresh in the minds of Flames fans. The team would need to do their due-diligence to make sure he'd be interested. Anyway, I believe if your 1st round pick elects to go the college UFA route, you get a compensatory pick. Kevin Hayes with Chicago.

There could be upside in selecting a college-bound player like Coronato, especially in a year like this. A major-junior player has to be signed within 2 years, most of these kids have hardly played the last 16 months, their development could go any number of ways. With a college kid, you get 4 years before you have a decision to make. 

Anyway, I'd be happy of Coronato was the pick. The USHL is a very good league and he almost scored a goal a game. Fills a massive organizational need and if he's as good as he's looked in the USHL, he will dominate college hockey.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Coronado looks like a big riser, and it's possible that he ends up in the top 15.

It's too bad we don't have a 15th overall to go with a lotto pick.

Then again, we might still go with 2 D if that happened.

I admittedly think Coronado is the real deal.   And yet, I would still prefer to go with 2 D (or G) if we got another pick.   Because that's how strong I think the D are in this draft.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Fox-Harvard thing is likely still fresh in the minds of Flames fans. The team would need to do their due-diligence to make sure he'd be interested. Anyway, I believe if your 1st round pick elects to go the college UFA route, you get a compensatory pick. Kevin Hayes with Chicago.

There could be upside in selecting a college-bound player like Coronato, especially in a year like this. A major-junior player has to be signed within 2 years, most of these kids have hardly played the last 16 months, their development could go any number of ways. With a college kid, you get 4 years before you have a decision to make. 

Anyway, I'd be happy of Coronato was the pick. The USHL is a very good league and he almost scored a goal a game. Fills a massive organizational need and if he's as good as he's looked in the USHL, he will dominate college hockey.

I have no issues with US College picks.  I just think we hold onto them too long.   Maybe there's something I'm missing in the process.   All I know is that I like those picks and I don't like the outcomes we get here.   It does feel a little bit like a LOT of US College players feel they can pick their team.   Granted, moreso with D because they have that extra 1-2 years of development.

I'm not sure US College is the problem.    I kind of think the draft age of 18 is the problem.   I do actually wish the NHL postponed this year's draft and changed the age to 19.

8 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I'm not sure US College is the problem.    I kind of think the draft age of 18 is the problem.   I do actually wish the NHL postponed this year's draft and changed the age to 19.

The Adam Fox thing is definitely the exception rather than the norm. Most kids, take Gaudreau for example, want to get that NHL money as soon as they can. They also burn a year off their ELC if they sign after the Collegiate season, starting their clock to UFA. 

The loophole for college players is frustrating, but the players and owners collectively bargained it, so it is what it is. 

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Adam Fox thing is definitely the exception rather than the norm. Most kids, take Gaudreau for example, want to get that NHL money as soon as they can. They also burn a year off their ELC if they sign after the Collegiate season, starting their clock to UFA. 

The loophole for college players is frustrating, but the players and owners collectively bargained it, so it is what it is. 

As fans we just look at the Fox thing as a loss because he has turned into a good D.  We barely mention Erixon now as he only ended up playing 90 odd HL games even though we drafted him 1st round

20 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

There is no "loophole", the rule is the same for both major junior and college free agents that once you play your 4 years you are a UFA. the only difference is major junior players would have to get more creative because you are done major junior at 20 and you can keep going in College. 

But the rules is the exact same for both. 

On 5/25/2021 at 2:46 PM, cross16 said:

There is no "loophole", the rule is the same for both major junior and college free agents that once you play your 4 years you are a UFA. the only difference is major junior players would have to get more creative because you are done major junior at 20 and you can keep going in College. 

But the rules is the exact same for both. 

Why do some kids go back into the draft?  How does that work?

On 5/22/2021 at 9:34 PM, jjgallow said:

If Arizona has to forfit then that means we have 12th pick.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Why do some kids go back into the draft?  How does that work?

The rules depend on where you are playing when you are drafted. 

For players in Canadian major junior the team gets their rights for 2 years. So 2 years to sign them and if they don't sign them they go back into the draft. If they were go to unselected in that draft they become UFA or if they get selected again it's another 2 years and then they would be a UFA.

College players, or anyone pursing the college option, you maintain their rights until they are done school or 4 years. European players is 4 years as well except for anyone playing in Russia as there is no transfer agreement so those rights you hold into perpetuity.