Calgary Flames 20/21 Roster and Lines

JTech780

I was furstrated with the Jets game but since then the Flames have been solid. There are really only 3 issues that stand out to me right now. 

1. Gio and Andersson have played really poorly as a pair at 5 on 5. 

2. Lucic is struggling

3. Nordstrom is not worth having in the lineup. 

I think 1 and 2 just need time but i'm not sure on 3. Still going to give him time but it's pretty bad and It might be time to cut bait sooner rather than later. They clearly don't need his PK abilty. 

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I was furstrated with the Jets game but since then the Flames have been solid. There are really only 3 issues that stand out to me right now. 

2. Lucic is struggling

I think 1 and 2 just need time but i'm not sure on 3. Still going to give him time but it's pretty bad and It might be time to cut bait sooner rather than later. They clearly don't need his PK abilty. 

I would be more inclined to use Tanev with Gio at this point.

Keep their minutes a bit less at 5v5.

I think there's a good indication that Ras allow Hanifin to play his game.

Tanev would allow for Gio's unbalanced play.

Valimaki is making too many rookie mistakes, but he's so good when he's not doing that.

Nesterov had one bad game so far, and it was only one or two mistakes.

The 4th line as a whole is struggling.

Ryan isn't really suited to play there, and the other guys make him look worse than he is.

I'm not sure what we were trying to build with that 4th line, but I think it's time to sit Lucic and Nordstrom.

Assuming Dube is healthy, I would try Leivo-Ryan-Robinson.

Not my first choice, but it can't be worse at this point.

Could we actually try a guy like Ruzicka on the taxi squad and get him practicing?

See if he has something to give.

I thought he was one of the better AHL players during the scrimmages.

Or maybe even a guy like Gawdin.

Problem with splitting up Gio-Ras is the other 2 pairings are both playing excellent. Doesn't make sense for me to split those up at this point let it play out longer. 

Defense is not really the Flames issue. Generating offense 5 on 5 and a really poor 4th line are really the only concerning issues for me right now. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Problem with splitting up Gio-Ras is the other 2 pairings are both playing excellent. Doesn't make sense for me to split those up at this point let it play out longer. 

Defense is not really the Flames issue. Generating offense 5 on 5 and a really poor 4th line are really the only concerning issues for me right now. 

Yeah, I'm just saying that Hanifin-Ras was good, so I would expect Gio-Tanev to have good results as well.

I just find that sometimes together Ras and Gio seem to be out on sync.

Both are smart at defending, but I find they make curious decision on the boards.

I counted a number of plays that ended up being extended D-zone time because of that.

Maybe that's stifling the offense at times.

Ras has a good first pas and has the ability to gain the zone, but may not always do that playing with Gio.

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Going to create an AHL CDN only division. 

Really good situation for call ups now. 

Yeah, it seemed like only three Canadian teams even had this problem.

The USA teams had no quarantine issues.

It's a setback for the AHL, but at least it benefits us for a change.

I guess Bakersfield is stil SOL.

16 hours ago, cross16 said:

2. Lucic is struggling

4. Leivo's really run-o-the mill.

Dube is a difference maker and we need him to stay healthy.

Both he and Mangiapane need to be critical components of our top 6.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I'm a little frustrated that we are only using Mangiapane on the quasi shutdown line.

He fits with Tkachuk.

Between him and Dube, we have two top 6 wingers.

I've got no issues with Simon, other than he is not a finisher.

If Mangiapane could play on FW, then he could fit the Monahan line like a glove.

And then you have Dube with Tkachuk on LW.

LW is a LW that shoots right.

Sorta the opposite problem we have with the bottom 6.

Hasn;t shown chemistry in the top 6.

A late bloomer that still isn't blooming.

Bennett isn't consistent even playing with Backlund.

Looks good one shift, then lost the next one.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Don't disagree with any of this. Just don't consider it an issue because Leivo is just depth and Dube will be back soon. I think Leivo has been fine in a depth role and is an improvement over the likes of Reider and Buddy Robsinon who they used in similar situation the last couple years. 

But i agree on Dube. I tend to be a bit more optimistic about this team's chances and Dube is a real reason why. He has a chance to make them pretty dangerous as a forward group. 

One area this team needs to keep an eye on is the forward depth.

Dube being out isn't helping, but we should be able withstand the loss of a winger.

The two guys I am more worried about are Leivo and Simon, I think this team was hoping that at least one of them would be contributors in a top 9 role. Right now I wouldn't say they are hurting the team when they are on the ice, but they aren't really helping either. Now it's early and there is time for that to change, but how long do you wait in a 56 game schedule.

The idea behind having Lucic and Nordstrom on the 4th line is so you can establish a heavy, physical forecheck, but that isn't happening. So it is getting close to the time to re-think and re-configure that 4th line.

Right now I am at the point where I would like to start seeing some young guys given opportunities on the 4th line. Let's see what Ruzicka, Phillips, Gawdin, etc. can do on a 4th line with Ryan. Let's get some more speed and skill in the lineup.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Dube being out isn't helping, but we should be able withstand the loss of a winger.

The two guys I am more worried about are Leivo and Simon, I think this team was hoping that at least one of them would be contributors in a top 9 role. Right now I wouldn't say they are hurting the team when they are on the ice, but they aren't really helping either. Now it's early and there is time for that to change, but how long do you wait in a 56 game schedule.

The idea behind having Lucic and Nordstrom on the 4th line is so you can establish a heavy, physical forecheck, but that isn't happening. So it is getting close to the time to re-think and re-configure that 4th line.

Right now I am at the point where I would like to start seeing some young guys given opportunities on the 4th line. Let's see what Ruzicka, Phillips, Gawdin, etc. can do on a 4th line with Ryan. Let's get some more speed and skill in the lineup.

i agree. Let's see what Ruzicka, Phillips, Gawdin can do. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I'm there with you.  Obviously, it isn't a 4th line grinder line.  More of a energy, forechecking, transition line.  Have defensive smarts to not get burned when stuck against a top 6 line, but mostly be there to inject some life.  One good shift to build momentum, then follow up with top 6 lines.  

the thing is, I felt Simon has played his best in the last game or two. He’s started to help his line keep zone time and recover pucks by forechecking. He’s not getting the chances as much, but I think he has done a lot to give Johnny and Monny those extra shots.

Johnny has been skating, and it’s good to see. 

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

the thing is, I felt Simon has played his best in the last game or two. He’s started to help his line keep zone time and recover pucks by forechecking. He’s not getting the chances as much, but I think he has done a lot to give Johnny and Monny those extra shots.

Johnny has been skating, and it’s good to see. 

Simon has been positive, but he's more of a Ryan type that you can move up and down.

He's not known for finishing, which Gaudreau needs.

When Gaudreau had 99 points, the line had Lindholm.

He needs at least a 15 goal guy there.

Dube or Mangiapane are right now the best choices for top 6.

And I would suggest that we could have Gaudreau with Lindholm or Monahan.

Mangiapane-Monahan-Tkachuk

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Dube

I would need to see a game to be sure, but the OHL line could be a thing.

The 2nd line may get bumped a bit more, but really the only difference is Lindholm.

Chemistry is already there.

Same is true of the OHL line, with the exception of Monahan.

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I get what he is trying to do but man having both Bennett and Mang outside the top 6 makes no sense to me. 1 sure but both?

Not a fan. 

I don’t mind it actually.  That might actually help make the 3rd line a scoring threat. I’ll be more frustrated to see Dube on the 4th line.

13 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I don’t mind it actually.  That might actually help make the 3rd line a scoring threat. I’ll be more frustrated to see Dube on the 4th line.

If Simon and Leivo were anything but just place holders than I would be find with it, but they are not. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

That's lines look like they want to be able to roll 3 lines deep, the last couple of games they looked a little top heavy.

Dube gametime obviously.

If he gets in, then the top line is fine.

But, I'm really starting to question the use of Mangiapane.

He generates chances, whether he finishes or not.

He's as good at fishing out the puck as Simon.

So, my ideal lines for now would be:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane

Simon-Backlund-Ryan

Lucic-Bennett-Leivo

Roll the lines as they perform.

Let Bennett develop some chemistry again with Lucic and now Leivo.

Bennett and Leivo are just snakebit and needs reps together.

31 minutes ago, Radster said:

I haven't been impressed by either leivo or simone and i aint happy with our young guys. Mage and dube in the bottom 6. They showed us they can definitely play top 6. But are bumped down by these 2.  Not impressed with how players get deployed. 

I hear you! But for me, there’s so much wrong with the bottom 6 that playing them in the bottom 6 might get you more out of the roster. With them in the Top6 I think the roster gets too thin. 

the thing is, if they just play, and they’re on Backlund’s line, then you don’t have to look at it as bottom 6 as Backlund, with the right players, is a top6 center. if they play hard and have the talent of top 6 then they can end up with top 6 numbers. 

my issue might be that Ward plays top players no matter how they’re doing, or maybe that just applies to Lucic? Plus, with 6 min left he consistently puts out the 4th line when he should be rolling the best chance to tie it up players. 

I don’t see it as a demotion rather than finding what works all the way throughout the lineup. 

in the game day thread, TD mention that we can’t worry about getting Bennett going, need to keep on what’s working. But I think you so need to get Bennett going, but also Backlund, Ryan, Lucic, Simon, Nordstrom and Mangiapane - have to get them all going in the “bottom 6.” It is dragging down the rest of the team. 

the top 6 is going, and like TD and others have said, the pp, pk, and a lot of other things are working. 

my view is bottom 6 and attention to details for as much of a 60 min game as possible. 

some days, they’re just not going to have it, but reach as much as you can to do what it takes...