UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

depends on term. 4.5 mill (and change) is the walk away number so anything less and the flames are stuck with it. Best to avoid this arb case. 
If I was guessing I would guess they settle on a 2 year deal for slightly less than 3 mill AAV.  

Ok, so we are looking at 3.5ish combined for Mang and Kylington. That leaves us with 2 left. Big game hunting is over, unless we subtract.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting signing, good to have depth. Feel for Zagidullin and Parsons though, there goes their playing time.

Another RH shot.

Kidding aside I was a bit surprised by the signing today, but then it made sense.

He's our 3rd string backup to the big league, and comes with plenty of experience.

Not sure if he will have an opportunity to mentor newly drafted RH catcher Chechelev.

40 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Another RH shot.

Kidding aside I was a bit surprised by the signing today, but then it made sense.

He's our 3rd string backup to the big league, and comes with plenty of experience.

Not sure if he will have an opportunity to mentor newly drafted RH catcher Chechelev.

If only Tyler Johnson was a LHS.  You know he would be a Flames right now.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We need to improve from the play-in/playoffs.  Hamonic was never there.  Can't count him.  We obviously went from Brodie to Tanev.

Ya..and it showed . We missed Hamonic badly in that series 

Or if you're gonna look at it from that angle..he replaces Forbort 

Brodie and Tanev are 2 entirely different d men..used in different roles for different purpose .. one is not connected to the other 

There was some chatter on FA about teams looking at Ritter, I Andy help but get the feeling he’s gonna be trades at some point soon which is why BT Signed Domingue on 2 way deal...kinda an insurance signing to open the door for trading Ritter but can also keep him if offers for Ritter are bad.

it also opens the door to bring up one of the prospects because of the 2way contract if they do trade Ritter 

on another note, trading Gaudreau and ryan makes tons of sense, I’d love to get Strome and Gauthier from NYR but I don’t think NYR has a need for Gaudreau but maybe Ryan on 3/4th line plus PK 

Ryan straight up  fro Strome not gonna happen and they don’t need gaudreau at all, so if he goes anywhere I’d say we are looking at prospect and draft picks for him which is fine but doesn’t address the RW we need so badly...

my question is, lest say TH signs and Gaudreau is obviously the man on the move is there a team with a need for a star snipper LW who has a solid 2nd line RW?

my other question, would Ryan for Gauthier straight up be doable? I’m of the thought 3rd line of:

Manji/Bennet/Gauthier 

Would be a deadly line and honestly could develop into a second line in a few years. this would push Lucic back to the 4th line, all Brit he’s over paid for that line but we are stuck with it, however, he would be perfectly fine on the 4th line.

I'm of the thought while we wait on TH before making any other moves, moving Ryan for a solid 3rd line RW would be a smart thing to do, force Manji back to his natural LW push Lucic back to the 4th line, solidifying the 3rd line and shedding some salary for either TH or maybe patching the 2nd line RW with someone like Toffoil 

im not married to the idea of only Gauthier but he’s definitely checking all the boxes for that line for me.

as for the 4th line maybe:

Lucic/ Dube + either a C or RW by trade or FA

im not sure how Dube is on the FO, I’d be inclined to slide him over to the RW and look for a high energy guy with decent size and most importantly great on the FO. I’m sure there is someone we could get under 30 years old for around 2-2.5 mil to fill this spot. This is why I’m really not ok with having let Janko go, he’s have been a great fit here 😞

i think BT should be tinkering with these lines now while we wait on TH and or Toffoil, such moves won’t hinder the process 

I think Toffoil is doable and I think that we really need another scoring forward especially on the right side.  If we get Toffoil, at least we will have 2 good lines if our top line is not working sometimes.  It’s still way better than now.  Right now it’s very much same as last year, unless you want your goalie to bail you out every night.  Haha.  

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

There was some chatter on FA about teams looking at Ritter, I Andy help but get the feeling he’s gonna be trades at some point soon which is why BT Signed Domingue on 2 way deal...kinda an insurance signing to open the door for trading Ritter but can also keep him if offers for Ritter are bad.

it also opens the door to bring up one of the prospects because of the 2way contract if they do trade Ritter 

on another note, trading Gaudreau and ryan makes tons of sense, I’d love to get Strome and Gauthier from NYR but I don’t think NYR has a need for Gaudreau but maybe Ryan on 3/4th line plus PK 

Ryan straight up  fro Strome not gonna happen and they don’t need gaudreau at all, so if he goes anywhere I’d say we are looking at prospect and draft picks for him which is fine but doesn’t address the RW we need so badly...

my question is, lest say TH signs and Gaudreau is obviously the man on the move is there a team with a need for a star snipper LW who has a solid 2nd line RW?

my other question, would Ryan for Gauthier straight up be doable? I’m of the thought 3rd line of:

Manji/Bennet/Gauthier 

Would be a deadly line and honestly could develop into a second line in a few years. this would push Lucic back to the 4th line, all Brit he’s over paid for that line but we are stuck with it, however, he would be perfectly fine on the 4th line.

I'm of the thought while we wait on TH before making any other moves, moving Ryan for a solid 3rd line RW would be a smart thing to do, force Manji back to his natural LW push Lucic back to the 4th line, solidifying the 3rd line and shedding some salary for either TH or maybe patching the 2nd line RW with someone like Toffoil 

im not married to the idea of only Gauthier but he’s definitely checking all the boxes for that line for me.

as for the 4th line maybe:

Lucic/ Dube + either a C or RW by trade or FA

im not sure how Dube is on the FO, I’d be inclined to slide him over to the RW and look for a high energy guy with decent size and most importantly great on the FO. I’m sure there is someone we could get under 30 years old for around 2-2.5 mil to fill this spot. This is why I’m really not ok with having let Janko go, he’s have been a great fit here 😞

i think BT should be tinkering with these lines now while we wait on TH and or Toffoil, such moves won’t hinder the process 

-If you're moving out your #1 LW you should at least be getting a #1 RW even if you have to throw in someone like Kylington or a 4/5th round pick.

-Janko had been in and out of the line up all season with 7 pts in 52 games at a -12. Sure he probably wasn't utilized as he should have been but even on the PK he was surpassed by Rieder.

Derek Forbert signs for 1M with Winnipeg.  I am wondering why all the sudden we are all signing those expensive and long contracts?  Haven’t we learn anything from James Neal deal yet signing those 30 years old players for long contracts.   Guess we are not planning to win this year yet.  Lol 

11 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

-If you're moving out your #1 LW you should at least be getting a #1 RW even if you have to throw in someone like Kylington or a 4/5th round pick.

-Janko had been in and out of the line up all season with 7 pts in 52 games at a -12. Sure he probably wasn't utilized as he should have been but even on the PK he was surpassed by Rieder.

very true about Janko but didn’t we also loose Rieder too? 

29 minutes ago, crazyflames said:

I think Toffoil is doable and I think that we really need another scoring forward especially on the right side.  If we get Toffoil, at least we will have 2 good lines if our top line is not working sometimes.  It’s still way better than now.  Right now it’s very much same as last year, unless you want your goalie to bail you out every night.  Haha.  

Toffoli isn't a good fit on the top 2 lines. He needs to have two players who are able to carry the puck through the neutral zone. He is basically a RW Monahan. He doesn't fit on the top line, because teams will just key on Gaudreau carrying the puck more than they already do.

Tkachuk can't carry the puck through the neutral zone, so Toffoli doesn't fit on the 2nd line.

He would fit with Dube and Bennett on the 3rd line, but he is going to cost $5m+, that's too much for the 3rd line.

https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/tyler-toffoli-future-hab

This a good article going over how Toffoli fits on a line.

If we aren't getting Hall, Hoffman and Haula are probably the next best targets.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Toffoli isn't a good fit on the top 2 lines. He needs to have two players who are able to carry the puck through the neutral zone. He is basically a RW Monahan. He doesn't fit on the top line, because teams will just key on Gaudreau carrying the puck more than they already do.

Tkachuk can't carry the puck through the neutral zone, so Toffoli doesn't fit on the 2nd line.

He would fit with Dube and Bennett on the 3rd line, but he is going to cost $5m+, that's too much for the 3rd line.

https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/tyler-toffoli-future-hab

This a good article going over how Toffoli fits on a line.

If we aren't getting Hall, Hoffman and Haula are probably the next best targets.

The only one gonna take discount is Hall.  Hoffman, Toffoli and Haula are not gonna take pay cut and we are probably don’t have the money to sign any of those.  

6 minutes ago, crazyflames said:

The only one gonna take discount is Hall.  Hoffman, Toffoli and Haula are not gonna take pay cut and we are probably don’t have the money to sign any of those.  

There will have to be trades coming at some point. Adding Markstrom makes us better, but we still need to find a way to improve the offense.

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Ya..and it showed . We missed Hamonic badly in that series 

Or if you're gonna look at it from that angle..he replaces Forbort 

Brodie and Tanev are 2 entirely different d men..used in different roles for different purpose .. one is not connected to the other 

Our D looked great without Hamonic, come on.  Hanifin looked reborn with Andersson.  They were a stud second pairing.  Overall though, still wasn't a Cup winning group.  Now you saying we straight drop Brodie and then replace Forbort with someone much more expensive in Tanev.  Tanev is our 3rd pair RD? No he's clearly going to be top 4 guy.

Okay so who will replace Brodie?  Andersson?  Then who replaced Andersson?  

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Our D looked great without Hamonic, come on.  Hanifin looked reborn with Andersson.  They were a stud second pairing.  Overall though, still wasn't a Cup winning group.  Now you saying we straight drop Brodie and then replace Forbort with someone much more expensive in Tanev.  Tanev is our 3rd pair RD? No he's clearly going to be top 4 guy.

Okay so who will replace Brodie?  Andersson?  Then who replaced Andersson?  

im thinking Yeltsin or Kylington is our 7th and 8th 

Gio/Anderson 

Hanifin/Tanev 

Valimaki/ Yeltsin/Kylington 

it’s actually not a bad D, mostly young and untested but oozes potential, I’d actually like in an ideal world I’d love to see Gio moved and an under 30 replacement for him at around the 4-4.5 mil, or better still save the coin for some draft picks, then we could have:

Valimaki/Anderson 

Hanifin/Tanev 

Kylington/Yeltsin

???? not sure who would be good for a spare here but probably an easy slot to fill 

unfortunately Gio’s age and $ makes him next to immovable till next year or maybe just maybe this years TDL but probably next 

I have been reading every post and article I can find as have many of you and I can see a few possibilities for Tre's current plans. Bare with me.

Hannifin was much improved with Andersen as a partner.

Gio is a great all around player with alot of miles left, but he will start to tapper off eventually.

Tanev was a great defensive dman to pair with a young kid in Van.

We signed Kinnvall this summer right around the time Tre was talking about needing to tweak the D for improvement. He has been a scoring fast puck moving playerand doing that at a good pace against men for the past 3 years.

Valamaki is said to be the future for us in puck moving on the back end.

My predictions for next year is to put a stable vet with a young player that way we allow these young players to acclimate to the NHL while still playing there own style before asking them to change to much.

Next years D pair my guess will look like this.

Hannifin - Andersen

Gio - Kinnvall

Valamaki - Tanev

1st pair is reliable

2nd and 3rd pair have vets who are very good mentors who have no problem being the responsible dman who can also show a young nhler the ropes. Both these young guys are expected to be very versatile all around nhler so this way we are taking alot less risk. 

5 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

I have been reading every post and article I can find as have many of you and I can see a few possibilities for Tre's current plans. Bare with me.

Gio is a great all around player with alot of miles left, but he will start to tapper off eventually.

We signed Kinnvall this summer right around the time Tre was talking about needing to tweak the D for improvement. He has been a scoring fast puck moving playerand doing that at a good pace against men for the past 3 years.

My predictions for next year is to put a stable vet with a young player that way we allow these young players to acclimate to the NHL while still playing there own style before asking them to change to much.

Hannifin - Andersen

Gio - Kinnvall

Valamaki - Tanev

1st pair is reliable

2nd and 3rd pair have vets who are very good mentors who have no problem being the responsible dman who can also show a young nhler the ropes. Both these young guys are expected to be very versatile all around nhler so this way we are taking alot less risk. 

I missed the Kinnvall signing. He took a huge step forward last year, so here’s hoping he’s ready to translate to the nhl.

24 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

im thinking Yeltsin or Kylington is our 7th and 8th 

Gio/Anderson 

Hanifin/Tanev 

Valimaki/ Yeltsin/Kylington 

it’s actually not a bad D, mostly young and untested but oozes potential, I’d actually like in an ideal world I’d love to see Gio moved and an under 30 replacement for him at around the 4-4.5 mil, or better still save the coin for some draft picks, then we could have:

Valimaki/Anderson 

Hanifin/Tanev 

Kylington/Yeltsin

???? not sure who would be good for a spare here but probably an easy slot to fill 

unfortunately Gio’s age and $ makes him next to immovable till next year or maybe just maybe this years TDL but probably next 

I would trade Giordano as well.  But the plan may be to trade Hanifin.  It's a mistake in my opinion.  

Hanifin-Andersson

Valimaki-Tanev

Use the money saved from Gio on Hall.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I would trade Giordano as well.  But the plan may be to trade Hanifin.  It's a mistake in my opinion.  

Hanifin-Andersson

Valimaki-Tanev

Gio is pretty close to untradeable. It is near impossible to move salary right now, we would most likely have to include our 1st to trade Gio. Add to the fact he has a NTC. Trading Gio isn't happening.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Hanifin-Andersson

Valimaki-Tanev

I totally get why you want to change the forward group so bad, I think we need to aswell. The thing is if we get rid of Gio our D get's bad in a snap. Gio on his current contract even with his skill would be next to impossible to move in this economy at his current age. 

I still think they will pair him with a skilled prospect in Kinnvall and milk all that they can out of him to give this kid the nest chance to succeed.

6 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

Hannifin - Andersen

Gio - Kinnvall

Valamaki - Tanev

1st pair is reliable

The interesting thing with these signings, Kinnvall, Petrovic, Poolman, and Mackey, is that they are not "kids".  These guys are older than Hanifin, Andersson, And Valimaki.  They should all be "ready".

As it stands, I think we go with,

Hanifin - Andersson

Giordano - Tanev

Valimaki - Petrovic

Those would be my pairings.  I think Petrovic will play 6/7th D.  He's got NHL experience and BT likes the bottom pair RD guy to be "Derek Engellend" type.  I think Petrovic fights and provides toughness.

Archived