UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

One thing I will say is this. You all know I watched Andersson on the Barrie Colts and had high hopes he’d become a top pairing D for us. That may happen this season. Valimaki has a high ceiling as well, and I’m hoping we see a solid full season out of him. Kylington is also a young D that I hope matures and gets more opportunity this season. 

Many on here wish for this team to promote and give opportunities to our youth - we may get that this year in spades on the back end, and the more I think about it, the more I’m comfortable with it. Especially with Markstrom backstopping them. These D are going to gain valuable experience this season. And maybe, just maybe, they’re going to surprise us with some solid play. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

One thing I will say is this. You all know I watched Andersson on the Barrie Colts and had high hopes he’d become a top pairing D for us. That may happen this season. Valimaki has a high ceiling as well, and I’m hoping we see a solid full season out of him. Kylington is also a young D that I hope matures and gets more opportunity this season. 

Many on here wish for this team to promote and give opportunities to our youth - we may get that this year in spades on the back end, and the more I think about it, the more I’m comfortable with it. Especially with Markstrom backstopping them. These D are going to gain valuable experience this season. And maybe, just maybe, they’re going to surprise us with some solid play. 

So far the depth chart looks like....

Gio      -        Andersson

Hanifin -        Tanev

Valimaki -         ?

Which leaves Kylington and Mackey out of the mix on the left and Petrovic and Yelesin fighting for the last RD spot. I dont think theres any more room to move up than last year unless one of the LHS goes to the right side.  

50 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So far the depth chart looks like....

Gio      -        Andersson

Hanifin -        Tanev

Valimaki -         ?

Which leaves Kylington and Mackey out of the mix on the left and Petrovic and Yelesin fighting for the last RD spot. I dont think theres any more room to move up than last year unless one of the LHS goes to the right side.  

Having Hani on  second pairing says something about him I hope he can become the force I was hoping he would a little more offense and some D and he could be another Hamilton perhaps not with the points and better on the D end of it

As the initial shock of the Tanev signing wears off, I am starting to warm to the idea of him playing in Calgary.

Don't get me wrong the contract is atrocious, that being said I do think he brings an element missing from this D core. He does bring some of that warrior spirit to the back end (I can hear your collective eyes rolling). He is elite at winning board battles, and exiting his own zone. He will make us tougher to play against. I do think that is an element that gets missed in the analytic models.

Adding to the analytic side of things, I do think Chris Snow and his group do a great job with the analytics and they do look at things differently than a lot of the public models out there. As an AGM I would think Snow would have had a big say in Tanev.

There are legit concerns, there is no way to get around it, but I do think he does bring a needed element to the back end.

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

My dislike for the Tanev deal aside, at least they are addressing being a tougher team to play against. This needs to continue and I hope the team is still making a pitch to Hall. Yes I’m aware of the cap situation but there can still be trades made to fix that as well. 

These changes will be all for not imo if they can’t improve their top lines ability to forecheck and play a north south game. Swapping in Hall for Gaudreau improves them on this area. 

so more changes are needed, otherwise I’d be hard pressed to argue the club looks substantially better going into next season. 

I didn't like the re-signing of RInaldo.

Liked that they got a decent tender.

Not overly impresed with Tanev signing, but he is a gamer.

I think they have done some of the things they need to do.

We haven't improved the F at all.

Hall should be a priority and deal with the cap through trades.

We don't have a viable 3rd and 4th line.

Lucic-Benett-Dube was a beast during the playoffs, but won't sustain that for 82 games.

The 4th line features Ryan and nobody.

FA may not be the place to fix it, but it would be s atsrt.

Rinaldo should not be a regular game player.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I didn't like the re-signing of RInaldo.

Liked that they got a decent tender.

Not overly impresed with Tanev signing, but he is a gamer.

I think they have done some of the things they need to do.

We haven't improved the F at all.

Hall should be a priority and deal with the cap through trades.

We don't have a viable 3rd and 4th line.

Lucic-Benett-Dube was a beast during the playoffs, but won't sustain that for 82 games.

The 4th line features Ryan and nobody.

FA may not be the place to fix it, but it would be s atsrt.

Rinaldo should not be a regular game player.

I agree 

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting signing, good to have depth. Feel for Zagidullin and Parsons though, there goes their playing time.

BT said Parsons is dealing with an ankle injury, but this was also to create cometition.

3 months from the season and he needs injury replacement?

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting signing, good to have depth. Feel for Zagidullin and Parsons though, there goes their playing time.

I’m not so sure that’s what it means. I think the flames will prioritize time for those two but Parsons needs to prove he can stay healthy and Zagidulin needs to improve over last season. I see nothing wrong with creating some competition. 
Plus I’m definitely not a fan of the idea of needing to have Parsons or Zagidulin riding the bench if Rittich were to get hurt. 

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

BT said Parsons is dealing with an ankle injury, but this was also to create cometition.

3 months from the season and he needs injury replacement?

I think this season is going to be really compressed, it will be more important than ever to have that depth in goal. I wonder if they are going to allow teams to carry a 3rd goalie because of the schedule.

Archived