UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Can't find it but BT said recently they expect Mackey to make the team this year 

believe it’s that they expect him to be in the mix. He’ll be in tough unless they plan on making a deal because right now he’s probably their 5th best LS dman.

he will be in the mix but expecting much out of him this year I don’t think is Likely especially as a PP option. 

2 minutes ago, crazyflames said:

Tanev was signed for 2 reasons.  1. Making Markstrom comfortable in front of the net.  2. Helping to develop Valimaki.  However we lost offence from this free agent season, we must add offence forward.  

Have we tho?

Andersson moves to full time top pair ..  shouid easily replace TJ contribution.

Valimaki comes into replace Andersson's contribution lower down.

Tanev=Hamonic , with a better defense ..

A Hamonic was what we were missing most against Dallas. Forbort was not good at the high minutes . And for Vancouver , Tanev was a beast

12 minutes ago, crazyflames said:

Valimaki can’t be QB now, maybe in the future.  We can always trade Hanifin, haha

I was really hoping Hani would have been another Hamilton but wish full thinking thought perhaps in a yr or so he would bring it. Not sure if playing with Hamonic might have slowed his offensive progression some what but either way he is not the offensive dyno might I was hoping for . 

I have noticed no one has jumped on the Hamonic band wagon yet perhaps he will end up back here I hope not but I guess I'm a little pissed he refused to play in the finals after all Gio has Family to didn't stop him as a matter a fact most of the players have family not a fan any more.

30 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Oh for sure that wasn't a shot at you..  more my twitter feed etc is loaded with people wondering why we'd let TJ go for Tanev instead  of paying the extra $500k

The 2 are totally unrelated 

I know that phoenix, it was more just me taking the opportunity of the subject coming up to clarify my opinion...   I suppose I could have added that to that post in the first place...   I also think that Brodie was gone back East even if the Flames had the same offer on the table, and I know a lot of people don't see it that way...

My dislike for the deal aside the argument about whether or not Tanev upgrades the Flames comes down to how they plan to deploy him. 

if the idea is to replace Brodie alongside Gio than this is a downgrade and a pretty big one at that. 
If the idea is to pair Gio with Anderson full time then I like that and think it’s a great pair but....

that would likely leave Hanifin -Tanev and I’m mixed on it. I think it’s better than Hanifin-Hamonic and maybe this is an opportunity to turn Hanifin lose and allow him to grow into the rush leading dman he was project to be. This is sort of what Vancouver did with Hughes-Tanev and Hughes was a big fan of Tanevs. Downside? Their results weren’t that good. 
Id really like the idea of Valimaki playing with Tanev but then the rest of the top 4 gets muddy. 

So in some scenarios there are upgrades but not in all of them which is why even though I understand the target I don’t think it’s easy to call it an upgrade. 

5 minutes ago, Carty said:

I know that phoenix, it was more just me taking the opportunity of the subject coming up to clarify my opinion...   I suppose I could have added that to that post in the first place...   I also think that Brodie was gone back East even if the Flames had the same offer on the table, and I know a lot of people don't see it that way...

Totally agree..  in fact I'm finding it kind of annoying how many are running the guy out of town before he's even put his skates on.

Your charts do a great job of showing the value he brings on his own

On a side note, not often i enjoy seeing the Oilers sign a taneted player.. but it makes me happy to know the Canucks were all in and didn't get him..hahaha

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Edmonton improved their PP, one area on their team that didn't need improvement. Man I am happy that they keep getting inept GM's in Edmonton.

so to play devils advocate I actually think this is smart. All accounts say they are going to lose Klefbom for a while and he is very key to that PP. they just replaced him and did so in a relative low risk way. 

That is a good deal imo. 

If Oilslicks get Barrie then we will be falling behind a great deal I guess it is back to the 80s and early 90s where we are going to be a matt for them to skate all over not happy. I am watching the signing site in sportsnet I don't see anything about the deal?

46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Kent Wilson does a good breakdown of why many think the Tanev deal is a bad deal. 

I agree with all of this. you are hoping that a change in system helps which is a risky bet. This is why I think this is a repeat of Brouwer. 

Brodie is a $6-mil Dman who took a hometown discount at $5-mil.

Tanev is a $3.5-mil Dman + $1-mil premium for that RHS due to supply/demand.

That's where we are.  I agree when you say the type of target was correct but the targeted player was wrong.  Cernak was the way to go.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Greiss to Detroit ..heard the Oilers were in on him. They are fast losing out on any goalie upgrades 

Hate to admit tho that Turris was a good signing for them 

Holland is the GM. Howard will be their G. 

Turris, for position and salary, I agree was a good pickup. However, he’s become a perimeter player that avoids getting involved in the fabric of the game. That could change, but he has not been a threat on the ice for a while now. Don’t know his FO% but maybe that’s where he would be most valuable for EDM. IMO

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

so to play devils advocate I actually think this is smart. All accounts say they are going to lose Klefbom for a while and he is very key to that PP. they just replaced him and did so in a relative low risk way. 

That is a good deal imo. 

I think they already had guys who could have effectively ran that PP in Bear or Nurse, even Bouchard could have helped there.

Their biggest issue is that they don't have enough defensemen who can play effectively in their own end, this doesn't address that and it eats into their limited cap space.

While yes the deal itself is quite good, it really doesn't address an area of need for them, so I don't think it is a good deal for them.

I like the gamble Barrie is taking on himself, his point totals should be pretty good playing on that PP and he will get paid after this season.

I think the Oilers are saying that they won't beat many teams at 5v5, so they are looking to kill teams on the PP.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think they already had guys who could have effectively ran that PP in Bear or Nurse, even Bouchard could have helped there.

Their biggest issue is that they don't have enough defensemen who can play effectively in their own end, this doesn't address that and it eats into their limited cap space.

While yes the deal itself is quite good, it really doesn't address an area of need for them, so I don't think it is a good deal for them.

I like the gamble Barrie is taking on himself, his point totals should be pretty good playing on that PP and he will get paid after this season.

I think the Oilers are saying that they won't beat many teams at 5v5, so they are looking to kill teams on the PP.

I agree with the last part which is why I think the deal is smart. They need to keep that PP running at a high clip and this should do that. I don’t think the names you mentioned come close to doing that. 

Klefbom is extremely underrated as a PP dman for me as well. He’s really really good at it. 

to be fair I think it’s accurate to question the overall direction the Oilers are taking with their defense. But it’s clear this is the route they’ve gone and within that context I think this is a necessary and good signing. 

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Brodie is a $6-mil Dman who took a hometown discount at $5-mil.

Tanev is a $3.5-mil Dman + $1-mil premium for that RHS due to supply/demand.

That's where we are.  I agree when you say the type of target was correct but the targeted player was wrong.  Cernak was the way to go.

But again you're comparing Brodie to Tanev.

The 2 transactions have 0 to do with each other 

Just now, The_Snowbear said:

The only Issue i have with tanev signing is it is to high of a contract and we still havent fixed our scoring depth issues

I think a trade is coming, just not sure who.

I also think that there is going to be some internal growth, scoring wise. I think Mangiapane still has another level to get to offensively. I expect Dube to take a big step forward. I am also expecting a bump from Bennett if they stick to the plan of giving a season at center.

The troubling part is I have no idea what to expect from the top line. That line was really stagnant last year and really only did damage on the PP. To me that's where the offense needs a tweak.

35 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Holland is the GM. Howard will be their G. 

Turris, for position and salary, I agree was a good pickup. However, he’s become a perimeter player that avoids getting involved in the fabric of the game. That could change, but he has not been a threat on the ice for a while now. Don’t know his FO% but maybe that’s where he would be most valuable for EDM. IMO

I remember hearing that thats why he was shipped out of Phoenix, which could be interesting since the coach at the time was Tippett.

Archived