UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yep. On day two, ideally we would sign Hall. If that doesn't happen we should be looking to add at least one depth forward:

Craig Smith: scores 20 from the 3rd line, good skater and solid defensively, can play all forward positions, RHS.

Erik Haula: Really fast, can play up and down the lineup, can play center, good forechecker.

Jesper Fast: Good skater, good defensively, RHS RW.

Corey Perry: Veteran RW, doesn't give you a lot in the regular season, but can be difference maker in the playoffs.

Matt Nieto: 4th liner who is a great skater, plays with energy, good on the forecheck and on the PK.

Josh Leivo: Has a good shot, has skill to produce, RHS RW.

Kyle Clifford: 4th liner brings physical edge.

Matt Martin: 4th liner brings physical edge.

I would still like to see one more defenseman as well.

Trevor Van Riemsdyk: Solid RHS D, 3rd pair.

Troy Stecher: Good skater, RHS, 3rd pair.

Jan Rutta: Size, RHS, 6/7 defenseman.

Travis Hamonic: RHS, physical edge.

Ideally Hall signs and we address the other spots via trade.

Craig Smith is gone at 3.1 x 3.  let’s get Hall, then thinking something else.  Lol 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Oh totally there is ..     anybody who thinks he's done hasn't followed BT very long.

You go after your top targets..then wait for prices to come down and see who needs to make deals. Toronto as it sits right now is over the cap.

Right now i think next steps are totally tied to Hall..we get him we go one way..we don't we go another .

I think that’s exactly what is going on now, wait and see, BT addressed the G his top priority then plugged a hole with adding some toughness to the D...now it’s a wait and see if TH signs then do Plan A...if he doesn’t then it’s plan B to fill the holes...TH is working on his short list with BT being quiet today it’s a good sign he’s in on TH who is gonna make a decision later today or tomorrow so if BT makes any moves now it would be an indication we are out on Hall so no news is good news for now 

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

I agree I think we do have an inside track on TH and also I think he becomes our “star” player up front...he’s also a home town boy and how much would he love to be the hero to bring the cup home to Cgy?  I think that will be a huge part of TH coming here much like Tavares did in TO 

I also agree he makes the top line better not by scoring but by making it tougher to play against so TH is better than JG and moving JG out would open the door for Simeon the RW for the 2nd line...I’d rather upgrade Lindholm but I don’t think we can afford it...I really like an NYR trade but not sure they can afford his $ all be it it is affordable but they are tight however I see Strome as a perfect fit on our 2nd RW if not him Toffoil is the next best option so it could open a JG trade for prospects and picks 

I can totally see TH being the new Iginla only he’s on the LW...that would be so sweet

Lets not get silly here. It would take something special to bring what Iginla brought to the organization. I agree TH would be a good signing but he's not the second coming if Iggy.  I also seem to be one of the few that haven't put TH on a pedestal yet.

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Greiss to Detroit ..heard the Oilers were in on him. They are fast losing out on any goalie upgrades 

Hate to admit tho that Turris was a good signing for them 

Yeah, they are going to have to address their goaltending via trade. They still haven't addressed the need for defense, either. They are in rough shape so far.

Just now, JTech780 said:

Wow, what is going on here.

I’m shocked. 

flames wouldn’t have been an option having prioritized Markstrom and Tanev but for no one to do it is surprising. 

teams must want to sent a contract the other way which doesn’t really work for Tampa. I’m really wondering know if they are going to have to move Stamkos. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I’m shocked. 

flames wouldn’t have been an option having prioritized Markstrom and Tanev but for no one to do it is surprising. 

teams must want to sent a contract the other way which doesn’t really work for Tampa. I’m really wondering know if they are going to have to move Stamkos. 

I wonder if they are going to float other players through waivers to see if anyone will take them.

I mean it might be hard for Calgary to pass up on Palat or Killorn if they end up on waivers.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if they are going to float other players through waivers to see if anyone will take them.

I mean it might be hard for Calgary to pass up on Palat or Killorn if they end up on waivers.

Unless the plan is to trade a big ticket forward I don’t think they are in a position to take either one of those players. Cap or roster space really isn’t there even though I agree both are attractive 

I’d imagine it will be a much quieter day for BT today, maybe some smaller moves here and there but I don’t really see Hall signing here, dont believe we can afford AP at this point. I’d still be fine with adding Vatanen and even Barrie to a lesser degree but not expecting too much on the Flames front on day 2

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I think people are making the wrong comparisons here . Just because we lost Brodie and signed Tanev, everybidy is all over the Brodie vs Tanev train..

Just to clarify, I was not trying to say that we should have kept Brodie my when I put up the bar charts...   My intention was just to use them to show the strengths and weaknesses of the players...   Some people will just look at the charts and see red and blue, without really looking into what all of that means, but there are pros and cons with both players...   

What I think happened is Brodie got the chance to move back East closer home where he and his wife grew up together with a pretty good contract, and took it...   If so, it is better he did, rather than stay with the Flames and have regrets for not taking that chance...   None of us knows what his wife had to say about it, but I think it's a pretty safe bet what her vote was...

Tanev is not a big change when it comes to more basic stats, 2 less goals last season, and 3 more assists...   and he plays a different style...   He is a Flame now, and I will be cheering him on and hoping he has a positive impact with the team...

Seems to me that Treliving felt Tanev was a piece he needed for the puzzle, and I don't think he's done yet either...   So I will wait and see what the roster looks like to start the season...   Then I will wait until we are far enough into the season to be able to properly assess the moves Treliving made...   So I'm sure I will have some things to say about individual moves that will likely come up in the next while, but I will reserve judgement on what Treliving is doing to put the team together, until get to that place far enough down the road to be able to see how things look...

This is from sportsnet Justin Bourne   Chris Tanev to the Flames for four years at $4.5 million a season: They lost a 30-year-old right side defenceman in Brodie, they gain a 30-year-old right-side defenceman in Tanev, for a savings of $500K per season (and the correlating small drop in talent). The situation here is clear: if they get Tanev for four years and 75 games a season, you love the deal, but he’s only hit 70 games in a season once, and has been below that (sometimes well below that) in each of the five seasons since. So great news we are making ourselves worse in the back end and don't have the cap space to help. I hope this Mackey is as good as they hope .

Heres something that might be the thinking of BT and company as far as offence goes in the back end. 

What are Connor Mackey's strengths as a player?

The blueliner has been widely regarded for his contributions offensively, especially on the power play. In his second season in Green Bay, Mackey tallied 47 points in just 60 games — 34 of those with the man advantage. He's more of a playmaker than a goal-scorer, however, with just six goals to his 41 assists in 2016-17 when he was named the USHL's Defenseman of the Year. 

He's also been praised for his high hockey IQ and decision-making. This past season in Mankato he put up 24 points (seven goals, 17 assists) in 36 games and was selected to the All-WCHA First Team. Perhaps he will play a full season with the team or what ever we now call a full season?

Mackey may factor into future teams but I’m not sure he’s on the radar this year. 

In terms of a PP QB a name that doesn’t come up is Valimaki. Did it in junior and he’s QB the number 1 unit over in Finland right now. He has the vision for it. 

something to consider or something they may already be considering. 

7 minutes ago, Carty said:

Just to clarify, I was not trying to say that we should have kept Brodie my when I put up the bar charts...   My intention was just to use them to show the strengths and weaknesses of the players...   Some people will just look at the charts and see red and blue, without really looking into what all of that means, but there are pros and cons with both players...   

What I think happened is Brodie got the chance to move back East closer home where he and his wife grew up together with a pretty good contract, and took it...   If so, it is better he did, rather than stay with the Flames and have regrets for not taking that chance...   None of us knows what his wife had to say about it, but I think it's a pretty safe bet what her vote was...

Tanev is not a big change when it comes to more basic stats, 2 less goals last season, and 3 more assists...   and he plays a different style...   He is a Flame now, and I will be cheering him on and hoping he has a positive impact with the team...

Seems to me that Treliving felt Tanev was a piece he needed for the puzzle, and I don't think he's done yet either...   So I will wait and see what the roster looks like to start the season...   Then I will wait until we are far enough into the season to be able to properly assess the moves Treliving made...   So I'm sure I will have some things to say about individual moves that will likely come up in the next while, but I will reserve judgement on what Treliving is doing to put the team together, until get to that place far enough down the road to be able to see how things look...

Oh for sure that wasn't a shot at you..  more my twitter feed etc is loaded with people wondering why we'd let TJ go for Tanev instead  of paying the extra $500k

The 2 are totally unrelated 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Mackey may factor into future teams but I’m not sure he’s on the radar this year. 

In terms of a PP QB a name that doesn’t come up is Valimaki. Did it in junior and he’s QB the number 1 unit over in Finland right now. He has the vision for it. 

Can't find it but BT said recently they expect Mackey to make the team this year 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Valimaki can’t be QB now, maybe in the future.  We can always trade Hanifin, haha

Archived