COVID-19 and NHL

The_People1

27 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Potentially but mostly just a lot of uncertainty. Can they practice, can the fans attend and if fans can attend how many and at what point does it make financial sense to just not play at all if they can't have fans or the typical experience? Uncertainty around 2nd wave etc etc.

The more gate driven the league is i thikn the bigger challenge it is to have a season without fan or a restriction on fans. Can schools subsidize a hockey program? What's the PR fall out of a school having to use public funds, as many do, to subsidize hockey?

Man, what happens in next year's draft then if Junior leagues close for a year?

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Potentially but mostly just a lot of uncertainty. Can they practice, can the fans attend and if fans can attend how many and at what point does it make financial sense to just not play at all if they can't have fans or the typical experience? Uncertainty around 2nd wave etc etc.

The more gate driven the league is i thikn the bigger challenge it is to have a season without fan or a restriction on fans. Can schools subsidize a hockey program? What's the PR fall out of a school having to use public funds, as many do, to subsidize hockey?

My absurd take on the situation is that enrollment will be down across the nation due to possibly having to take online courses.

Essentially becoming the University of Phoenix.

As enrollment drops, the revenue pool drops.

They still have tons of money from benefactors, but still.

If you have no university life, how would you ever have hockey practices or games?

17 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Tampa Bay Lightning have 3 players and 2 staff test positive for covid 19 and shut down their facilities. 

as per bob McKenzie. 
https://www.tsn.ca/tampa-bay-lightning-temporarily-close-training-facilities-due-to-covid-19-1.1487646

season over? 

Florida getting hit hard.  Orlando is NBA's location?

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm guessing at least a quarter of the teams in the CHL struggle to stay afloat as is.  Now add in covid and people are scared to attend big gatherings.  Even advertising revenue will be down for the next year or two given no commerce happening.

I think that a representative or media person was on either the Fan in Calgary or the radio in Vancouver last week or something discussing that sports teams were probably cut off for the season. And WOW, that's going to affect so many people's ability to get an education who rely on sports scholarships. This could be dangerous for the long term economy, more to it than just shutting things down closes business, it kills people's dreams!

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

Tampa Bay Lightning have 3 players and 2 staff test positive for covid 19 and shut down their facilities. 

as per bob McKenzie. 
https://www.tsn.ca/tampa-bay-lightning-temporarily-close-training-facilities-due-to-covid-19-1.1487646

season over? 

I think one of the biggest mistakes could have been allowing players to travel back to their home countries.

I heard that in New Zealand they kept the ban on travel but allowed two British into the country to see their dying relative off to the next place... They ended up with a huge outbreak of Covid just on these two people.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This may be over before it begins....

I wonder how many of the NHL people infected are in the US.

Canada seems to have been able to stem the tide.

Sweden doesn't have an enforced isolation.

Don't really know how many other countries has NHL players there.

Rieder came back a bit early to get a jump on the isolation period.

51 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

There needs to be some rule where if your player has covid then the game keeps playing.  Your player has to sit out.

That makes the most sense.

Why would it be otherwise?

They will the day before and then test after every game (assumes response of less than a day).

We must be past the false negative stage in testing by now.

In Alberta anyway.

I may be naive but I don't see how TO could ever hope to be a host city.

Too many TFW arriving to work.

They can't even seem to be able to handle the current Canadians, let alone all the extended family members coming from other countries just to visit.

I think the biggest problem was allowing players to travel back to their countries. Now they have to travel back into NA and be in public International flights.

The fact that places like Vegas has been extremely lax on their Covid distancing to me is a huge problem. Why use a city to be the hub if that city is open and getting huge Covid cases??? 

I think this is too dangerous I can’t see a good reason to be playing and jeopardizing the leagues’ stars.

24 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think the biggest problem was allowing players to travel back to their countries. Now they have to travel back into NA and be in public International flights.

The fact that places like Vegas has been extremely lax on their Covid distancing to me is a huge problem. Why use a city to be the hub if that city is open and getting huge Covid cases??? 

I think this is too dangerous I can’t see a good reason to be playing and jeopardizing the leagues’ stars.

You may be happy that Vancouver seems to be leading the possible host cities.

Though when you think about it, how will TV coverage be handled?

The playoffs normally have most or all games covered.

But I can't see how they can do all the games and still have a viable TV audience unless they start early.

3pm PDT

6pm PDT

That's about as late as they can go and still have the East watching it.

Back to your point.

Nevada supposedly has one of the lowest rates of infection in the US.

Regardless, it's the hotel and facilities staff you have to be most concerned about.

They willbe the ones prepping meals, cleaning rooms and locker rooms.

And they will be the guys in the penalty boxes, assuming they aren't in bubbles.

This will come down to the players themselves.

If they feel the risk is too high, they can sabotage the deal.

But the loss in revenue will hurt them.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You may be happy that Vancouver seems to be leading the possible host cities.

Though when you think about it, how will TV coverage be handled?

The playoffs normally have most or all games covered.

But I can't see how they can do all the games and still have a viable TV audience unless they start early.

3pm PDT

6pm PDT

That's about as late as they can go and still have the East watching it.

Back to your point.

Nevada supposedly has one of the lowest rates of infection in the US.

Regardless, it's the hotel and facilities staff you have to be most concerned about.

They willbe the ones prepping meals, cleaning rooms and locker rooms.

And they will be the guys in the penalty boxes, assuming they aren't in bubbles.

This will come down to the players themselves.

If they feel the risk is too high, they can sabotage the deal.

But the loss in revenue will hurt them.

The one thing about Vancouver is they have the Pacific Coliseum, Rogers, and possibly out in Langley or Abbottsford where the Heat played. I also wonder how UBC would hold up. I've never been to one of their games.

I wonder, I mean if this thing lasts a few season, they just may have to shut it down until the world is ready again. It's going to ruin some careers, and I wonder if the league crashes economically, they'd have to start from the beginning again, and possibly renegotiate contracts in relation to what contracts are out there., if there's that big of a loss. 

I heard on one of the shows, I think of 960, that one of the insiders were wondering if the league could go to a different way teams could get out of contracts, probable similar to the NFL. 

I feel like it should be that way especially when a guy falls off of the planet the moment he signs. 

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

The one thing about Vancouver is they have the Pacific Coliseum, Rogers, and possibly out in Langley or Abbottsford where the Heat played. I also wonder how UBC would hold up. I've never been to one of their games.

I wonder, I mean if this thing lasts a few season, they just may have to shut it down until the world is ready again. It's going to ruin some careers, and I wonder if the league crashes economically, they'd have to start from the beginning again, and possibly renegotiate contracts in relation to what contracts are out there., if there's that big of a loss. 

I heard on one of the shows, I think of 960, that one of the insiders were wondering if the league could go to a different way teams could get out of contracts, probable similar to the NFL. 

I feel like it should be that way especially when a guy falls off of the planet the moment he signs. 

I guess I am a bit of an Optimist.

I think the engine of capitalism is too strong to impact pro sports.

They dealt with AIDS before.

What I think will happen is that this is treated as IR and LTIR.

Assuming that there is no vaccine soon.

It's not essential service, but it has a big part in Canadian life.

So, while you may see a long time before fans are allowed back in, but I don't see a huge impact to revenue.

Other than gate revenues.

TV deals still make up a big portion of it.

Where cities are now starting to relax rules about capacity in public venues, you may see the same thing happen in arenas.

Allow 50% of the available seats in an arena to be sold.

Maybe 33% would be more reasonable.

Every 3rd seat sold. Stagger each row.

Limited or no food services. 

Concentrated effort on cleaning.

Lets face it, the majority of new cases will be from lack of sanitary preautions.

Personal precautions.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I guess I am a bit of an Optimist.

I think the engine of capitalism is too strong to impact pro sports.

They dealt with AIDS before.

What I think will happen is that this is treated as IR and LTIR.

Assuming that there is no vaccine soon.

It's not essential service, but it has a big part in Canadian life.

So, while you may see a long time before fans are allowed back in, but I don't see a huge impact to revenue.

Other than gate revenues.

TV deals still make up a big portion of it.

Where cities are now starting to relax rules about capacity in public venues, you may see the same thing happen in arenas.

Allow 50% of the available seats in an arena to be sold.

Maybe 33% would be more reasonable.

Every 3rd seat sold. Stagger each row.

Limited or no food services. 

Concentrated effort on cleaning.

Lets face it, the majority of new cases will be from lack of sanitary preautions.

Personal precautions.

I don’t think the last point is that simple. I think once they open travel up again it creates another wave. Communities that have it under control are still susceptible once travel opens up. Plus, to get visitors to respect the rules. 

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t think the last point is that simple. I think once they open travel up again it creates another wave. Communities that have it under control are still susceptible once travel opens up. Plus, to get visitors to respect the rules. 

You know that people are still arriving in Canada that are not Canadians, right?

I agree that tourism is a challenge.

I have to wonder how people are getting sick still, considering all the restrictions in place.

Public exposure is probably nil.

Community exposure is high, but ask yourself why?

A reasonable explanation lies insome recent examples.

A recycling plant in EDM with 11 cases.

They have been running full time since the virus started being reported.

Now, after all this time people are getting sick?

Hmm, how are they staffed.

Temporary Foreign Workers.

This is not an Alberta problem.

It's not that simple but it's also not what we are being told.

Why are people in Nursng homes still being infected.

Not from being around other sick patients.

There are still 48 active cases among health care workers.

And while they take extra precautions, those are the professional ones.

The state of long term care facilities is a joke.

I'll get off my soapbox.

I'm not Zionist, but I do think the open border was and is a cause of the outbreak.

I'm neither high risk, nor do I take many precautions.

I still interact with people on a daily basis.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I'll get off my soapbox.

I'm not Zionist, but I do think the open border was and is a cause of the outbreak.

I'm neither high risk, nor do I take many precautions.

I still interact with people on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, we going to have 3 waves.  

First wave, no one really knows what hit them.  Don't know how severe, how contagious, how long it takes to recover.  There are mixed info.  Lots of doubters.  Lots of conspiracy.  Which leads to...

Second wave.  By this time, many people will be pissed.  Tired of yet another lock down.  Blame game goes every direction.  Bankruptcy.  No work.  No money.  And then riots and social instability.  Which leads to...

Then third wave.  No one will longer care where it came from, how severe it really truly is, what conspiracy is behind it, etc.  Everyone just wants it gone.  Then and only then, we do a hard shut down.  If you die because of a heart attack and no one answers 911 call, no ambulance, no essentials, etc it's too bad.  Everyone lock down.  Everything must be done to stop this pandemic. Lock down for 2 or 3 weeks.  After 3 weeks, we open everything at once and go back to normal life.  Only under third wave will we all finally stop fighting each other and fight this thing together.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Unfortunately, we going to have 3 waves.  

First wave, no one really knows what hit them.  Don't know how severe, how contagious, how long it takes to recover.  There are mixed info.  Lots of doubters.  Lots of conspiracy.  Which leads to...

Second wave.  By this time, many people will be pissed.  Tired of yet another lock down.  Blame game goes every direction.  Bankruptcy.  No work.  No money.  And then riots and social instability.  Which leads to...

Then third wave.  No one will longer care where it came from, how severe it really truly is, what conspiracy is behind it, etc.  Everyone just wants it gone.  Then and only then, we do a hard shut down.  If you die because of a heart attack and no one answers 911 call, no ambulance, no essentials, etc it's too bad.  Everyone lock down.  Everything must be done to stop this pandemic. Lock down for 2 or 3 weeks.  After 3 weeks, we open everything at once and go back to normal life.  Only under third wave will we all finally stop fighting each other and fight this thing together.

If I read you correctly, we were in wave 1.  Wave 2 is upon us as things are opening up across Canada and have been in the US.

Edmonton has now passed Calgary in active cases for the first time.

The logical assumption is that EDM opened sooner.

But, again the numbers are just a talking point.

How is it that we have been under a lockdown and people persist in getting newly infected?

Well, we don't really have a closed international border do we?

I don't believe that for this long people could be asymptomatic and are passing it on.

I suppose anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe that newcomers are not the reason for the daily increases.

If it's that simple, then the eradication is simple.

Close the borders like they should have been back in February/March.

Anyone that enters due to being a Canadian is quarantined against their will in a hospital.

Self isolation was and continues to be a joke.    

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If I read you correctly, we were in wave 1.  Wave 2 is upon us as things are opening up across Canada and have been in the US.

Edmonton has now passed Calgary in active cases for the first time.

The logical assumption is that EDM opened sooner.

But, again the numbers are just a talking point.

How is it that we have been under a lockdown and people persist in getting newly infected?

Well, we don't really have a closed international border do we?

I don't believe that for this long people could be asymptomatic and are passing it on.

I suppose anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe that newcomers are not the reason for the daily increases.

If it's that simple, then the eradication is simple.

Close the borders like they should have been back in February/March.

Anyone that enters due to being a Canadian is quarantined against their will in a hospital.

Self isolation was and continues to be a joke.    

I don't know about you but I see a reluctance to wear masks in public everywhere I go.  If it wasn't for Costco basically mandating it... Anywhere else, I see very few masks worn.  And hardly any social distancing. 

Like we are "under lockdown" but it's not strict enough.  Essentially services has always been open and... Thing that gets me the most, Alberta was getting 50 cases per day back in March when we were told to lock down.  Now we are getting 50 a day and let's begin Phase 2 re-opening... Uh what?

I think the more important question should be the risks of long term health effects, still more research needs to be done and like every other virus people react differently.  I don't think can be a case where you give these players 2 weeks and then back to skating.  If Auston Matthews returns and plays, he could jeopardize his long term health, if he decides to take his time and the Leafs lose how much hate is he going to take.

Right now I'm more bitter about the fact the draft isn't happening on this weekend and neither is free agency next week, than I am about lost games.

Archived