Geoff Ward, Flames 18 th coach

tmac70

37 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Well, the coach goes first. To me, some of our players appear to be going through the motions - perhaps they disagree with the coach, but there’s a lack of emotion and drive. Whatever is making them “give up” or “give in” or say “whoa is me” needs to change. Start with the coach, bring in a bonafide one (I say Gallant), and if the players are still underperforming address that thereafter. Ward IMO has made many questionable decisions, in fact, that’s probably been the most consistent thing for the flames this season.  

The smart thing to do is the last thing we will do.

Ward does not seem to have the ability to a) jusge NHL talent properly, b) put together lines that will stick, c) manage a game from start to finish, d) get the most out of players, e) manage other managers.  

The PK is strong a lot of nights, but there are little things that big me.  Passes disrupted, but the simple play to dump the puck seems to be a struggle.  A turnover from the other team turns back into another stretch of D-zone time.  They are aggressive at the entry, but don't follow it up.

The PP is good at passing but manages few chances down low.  Lots of passes around the back if the net to the point.  Lots of long passes across from one board to the winger, but the shot rarely comes.  Lots of passes to D, but almost never any shots into screens.  The D-zone exits are painful to watch.  Very little creativity.  The other team can ignore the puck carrier and wait for them to turn around and pass to Gaudreau.

I don't know that the A/coaches are really NHL worthy.  I can't say too much about the goalie coach, unless he's the reason why Rittich has only started 3 games.  I doubt it.    Seems to me, overall, we  are getting what we paid for.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The smart thing to do is the last thing we will do.

Ward does not seem to have the ability to a) jusge NHL talent properly, b) put together lines that will stick, c) manage a game from start to finish, d) get the most out of players, e) manage other managers.  

The PK is strong a lot of nights, but there are little things that big me.  Passes disrupted, but the simple play to dump the puck seems to be a struggle.  A turnover from the other team turns back into another stretch of D-zone time.  They are aggressive at the entry, but don't follow it up.

The PP is good at passing but manages few chances down low.  Lots of passes around the back if the net to the point.  Lots of long passes across from one board to the winger, but the shot rarely comes.  Lots of passes to D, but almost never any shots into screens.  The D-zone exits are painful to watch.  Very little creativity.  The other team can ignore the puck carrier and wait for them to turn around and pass to Gaudreau.

I don't know that the A/coaches are really NHL worthy.  I can't say too much about the goalie coach, unless he's the reason why Rittich has only started 3 games.  I doubt it.    Seems to me, overall, we  are getting what we paid for.

Nice well said...ok BT please punt Ward now, maybe salvage the season...if you wait till after the 7 game road stint it will be too late geter done! 

It's pretty obvious that something needs to happen here, changing the coach is probably the easiest way to go to shake things up. I am just not sure Treliving will do that right before a 5 game eastern road trip. My guess is that Ward has this road trip to get things turned around, and if he doesn't he's gone.

Just to be clear I am not laying all the blame on Ward as I think there is something wrong with the core as well. I just don't think Ward is an NHL caliber head coach.

Unless they really like Huska I’m not sure I see a change coming. It would be a little unprecedented to fire a coach not even half way through this first season when they gave him a 2 year deal. I’m not in support of Ward I just think that’s probably what is going to happen. 

i think Ward gets the season and if this continue it probably means both he and Treliving are gone at the end of the year and flames are back to square one 

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Unless they really like Huska I’m not sure I see a change coming. It would be a little unprecedented to fire a coach not even half way through this first season when they gave him a 2 year deal. I’m not in support of Ward I just think that’s probably what is going to happen. 

i think Ward gets the season and if this continue it probably means both he and Treliving are gone at the end of the year and flames are back to square one 

Good , tre needs to go hes had enough time , this franchise is mediocre at best under him , time to move on . Hopefully hunter is still available for gm by then

I think Mark Hunter is a quality hockey scout but what about his background makes people think he is going to be ready to be a GM or be a good GM? What’s another rookie GM, with even more limited NHL experience, going to do different than Treliving?

I’m not sure how that breaks the cycle here. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I think Mark Hunter is a quality hockey scout but what about his background makes people think he is going to be ready to be a GM or be a good GM? What’s another rookie GM, with even more limited NHL experience, going to do different than Treliving?

I’m not sure how that breaks the cycle here. 

Fair enough , who do you have in mind ?

2 minutes ago, cupthug89 said:

Fair enough , who do you have in mind ?

I don’t really have anyone in mind because I wouldn’t fire Treliving. I think the problems in this organization are not solved by firing the GM. 

If people insist on firing someone I’d probably just give Conroy a shot. 

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don’t really have anyone in mind because I wouldn’t fire Treliving. I think the problems in this organization are not solved by firing the GM. 

If people insist on firing someone I’d probably just give Conroy a shot. 

Fair enough agree to diagree , and ive been a big tre fan over his tenure here , but  i definitely think its time for a change myself , new vision is needed going forward , to many holes on this team not near enough size or toughness , and all the coaches hes hired have turned out to be big mistakes . Lets get a new set of eyes in here , honestly it cant get much worse in my opinion . If you told me we would win one playoff round under him over what the last 6 years id pasd on tre everytime , the jig is up . Wardo was the last straw , and i dont wanna here theories that management made him hire ward or hand cuffed him , that's pure speculation. 

14 minutes ago, cupthug89 said:

Fair enough agree to diagree , and ive been a big tre fan over his tenure here , but  i definitely think its time for a change myself , new vision is needed going forward , to many holes on this team not near enough size or toughness , and all the coaches hes hired have turned out to be big mistakes . Lets get a new set of eyes in here , honestly it cant get much worse in my opinion . If you told me we would win one playoff round under him over what the last 6 years id pasd on tre everytime , the jig is up . Wardo was the last straw , and i dont wanna here theories that management made him hire ward or hand cuffed him , that's pure speculation. 

I would have been fine only winning one series in this time because we were supposed to be rebuilding, but this team is so hell bent on being in the playoffs that they skip steps and that’s where the holes come from. 

I am pissed that we are in this place when a build could have been done “right.” Then one series win would be about right as we would be on the start of ascension as an organization. We’ve plateaued and there’s no real prospects to come up and add to these 4 or 5 sometimes very good players. 

some say we could be the Sabres or Oilers or other crap teams. Basically they’re saying the don’t believe in our drafting when they make comments like that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

That is why it makes no sense to keep Ward for the season.

BT does nothing and Ward doesn't bring the playoffs, BT is gone.

BT does nothing and Ward gets to the playoffs and loses in round 1, BT is gone.

BT fires the coach and brings in a NHL coach and they fail to make the playoffs or lose in round 1, BT is likely gone.

BT fires the coach and brings in a NHL coach and lose in round 2 or later, BT is secure for the time being.

I get the optics of it, but do you bet your job on a guy that hasn't delivered anything and looks like he's throwing things at a wall to see what sticks.

20th in the league in standings and we have played more games than 5 teams below us.

I really don't think Ward is going anywhere and even if he did I don't think Julien is a good option. I will give him credit, Montreal actually looked pretty good at 5 on 5 but overall I don't think Julien is that good of a coach. His team's always seem to have a major weakness and he makes just as many questionable line up decisions as most coaches. 

But like it or not I really don't think Ward is going to get replaced this season and if he does the only person that makes sense to me is Bruce Boudreau. 

Julien is a very good coach, but he isn't the right coach. In a lot of ways he is similar to Ward. Montreal does deploy better breakouts and neutral zone play, but at the same time a lot of what he wants his team to do is old school, and that's just not how this team is built.

There are only about 2 or 3 coaches that I would change the team to suit the way they coach. Otherwise you hire a coach to suit the way the team is built.

I just don't see the buzz with Julien. He's barely over .500 with the Habs in his tenure, he's missed the playoffs more than he's made them recently (including the Bruins) and the Bruins have been significantly better since he left. 

While I am surprised by his firing, most people in Montreal are not. FWIW, this year outside of playing the Canucks the Habs are .500. 

Not advocating staying with Ward is a better option, because he is not, but Julien isn't that great a coach IMO. Certainly not worth getting excited about and would not be something I would see making things better around here. 

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

Interesting how Mtl started so hot, then goes .500 over a 10 game stretch that culminates in a pair of OT losses to the Sens, and the coach gets canned, meanwhile in Calgary...

Julien was sitting on a hot seat when the season was paused.  Carey Price probably saved him a little by winning the playin round.  Not saying that Ward should be saved, but I think Julien is an example of a coach that we shouldn't make a big investment in.  25 million over 5 years for .500 hockey is not money well spent.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I really don't think Ward is going anywhere and even if he did I don't think Julien is a good option. I will give him credit, Montreal actually looked pretty good at 5 on 5 but overall I don't think Julien is that good of a coach. His team's always seem to have a major weakness and he makes just as many questionable line up decisions as most coaches. 

But like it or not I really don't think Ward is going to get replaced this season and if he does the only person that makes sense to me is Bruce Boudreau

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned on here before, Bruce Boudreau did express a desire in being the Kraken's first head coach (I'm sure every available coach would say that) but he went on about how he was the first coach for many franchises and that fresh start is something he's very interested in. I'm sure any coaching gig would be desirable to a non-working coach, but for us I think any chance of Boudreau would require the contract only be for this year. Not sure that would be good for the group having only a temp. Just thinking out loud here.

Regarding Julien, I was wondering if he and Ward could rekindle the bruins cup magic here. I guess I'm grasping at straws because there aren't many available, and as much as I want to like Ward, I don't think he's right for this team. He also reminds me of Liam Nieson, but without the execution. 

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

• Like 1

I get it, I think the frustration is less about Julien being available and more about Treliving's inactivity when changes are really needed. I get that frustration, when there are obvious issues we all want to see them addressed and fixed now.

As I mentioned in another post, standing pat may be the best course of action right now unfortunately. A coaching change may secure a playoff berth, but I doubt we would get a coach that would make this team a contender. 

There are also a few coaches on the last year of their deals, that come available. Brind'Amour is looking like a great coach, I doubt Carolina lets him go, but Dundon has cheapped out in the past. Tocchet has done some good things in Arizona, and might be able to better with a better team. Green isn't my favorite coach but he seems to be highly thought of.

Best course of action is probably to just wait and see what coaching options shake loose.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned on here before, Bruce Boudreau did express a desire in being the Kraken's first head coach (I'm sure every available coach would say that) but he went on about how he was the first coach for many franchises and that fresh start is something he's very interested in. I'm sure any coaching gig would be desirable to a non-working coach, but for us I think any chance of Boudreau would require the contract only be for this year. Not sure that would be good for the group having only a temp. Just thinking out loud here.

Regarding Julien, I was wondering if he and Ward could rekindle the bruins cup magic here. I guess I'm grasping at straws because there aren't many available, and as much as I want to like Ward, I don't think he's right for this team. He also reminds me of Liam Nieson, but without the execution. 

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

This is all fair and I was aware of Boudreau comment's around Seattle as this is always a two way street. Coach has to be interested in being here and I can't comment on that. 

I don't believe firing Ward is going to be an option for the Flames so I don't expect anything to happen but if I'm wrong Boudreau is the only option I'd entertain. I've always liked Gallant from a far but the fact that he is getting passed over for jobs is making me think there may be something there we are not aware of. 

Kris Versteeg with some interesting comments on Ward this morning. Feels he is holding the team back and talks about many of the same gripes many of us have. Bad breakouts, passive systems, poor utilization etc. 

Also mentions he's a big believer in the players in that room. Starts at about the 11 minute mark. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/kris-versteeg-talks-canadiens-coaching-change-flames/

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Kris Versteeg with some interesting comments on Ward this morning. Feels he is holding the team back and talks about many of the same gripes many of us have. Bad breakouts, passive systems, poor utilization etc. 

Also mentions he's a big believer in the players in that room. Starts at about the 11 minute mark. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/kris-versteeg-talks-canadiens-coaching-change-flames/

Really good interview, I maybe posted my analysis in the wrong thread. But I do believe that the players are too worried about systems and playing the right way (wards way) rather than just playing hockey. Also interesting that Gallant was the coach that came in when he was in Florida and turned the team around. 
please be very good foreshadowing, lol