2019-2020 Training Camp

cross16

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know that demotion is a reality, since he would get claimed off waivers in a minute.

I do tend to agree with the UFA's (he's signed) mostly being a waste and the relative price paid versus bottom 6 Flames player deals is annoying.

Versteeg was a better signing than Neal, and he wasn't even a Flames PTO.

In the end we get Lucic for Neal money, which was overpayment at the time.

Stone being re-signed was a joke.

I don't see him being at all better than Kylington.

Just me, I suppose.

He wasn't better when he was healthy.

AMac may be fine, but I don't think he should be on the team over Kylington.

If you need him, fine.

At this point they don't need him.

Not until Kylington shows he can't take the job out of camp.

It's more that he extended Stone on a 3 yr overpayment that we had to buy out. We all knew it was a head scratcher.

The re-sign, not that shocking. Bought some cap space and it's a 2 way.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Re: Mangiapane

Are you sure about that?

I don't think he has enough NHL games under his belt for waivers, but close.

He is waiver eligible.  He's a bit unique in the sense he was drafted as a 19 year old so didn't sign till he was 20 so he only gets 3 years of wavier exemption. 

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Gio has been looking like a guy who just won the Calder.

Dominant dman. a lot of people ran down the length of his contract. Not seeing it being a problem.

Gio is a special player, he makes it so he’s increasing his value as he ages...it’s an extremely rare trend and he’s got it. He’s arguably the best value contract in the league right now. I’m not sure why so many hate on the term...Gio has never shown any signs of depreciation. 

Watched the game in Calgary, here are my thoughts:

Lucic: he played alright, used his size well, his skating was better than advertised. All in all he wasn't as terrible as Oilers fans like to say he is.

Smith-Pelley: he used his size well, threw some hits, wasn't super noticeable, but was effective for his role.

Rinaldo: his skating surprised me, much better than I thought. Threw some good hits. 

MacDonald: really steady, skates well and moved the puck well. Easily the best of the PTO's.

Gawdin: really responsible player, thinks the game well, works hard.

Hamilton: skates well, moves the puck well. Can see him earning an NHL contract with a good start to his season in Stockton.

Pelletier: good compete, good skill, good skater, and thinks the game really well. Might be closer to the NHL than I thought, not this season, but maybe as early as next season.

Talbot: terrible start to his Flames career, that being said I put very little stock in goaltending performances in the preseason, especially for NHL regulars. 

The rest of the regulars played as expected.

44 minutes ago, rickross said:

Not sure how we lost that home split game 3-2 in OT. We dominated pretty much the entire game, can’t be good for Talbots confidence. Should be hearing the Tkachuk announcement any day now...right? 🙄

Parsons really struggled at the end of the game. ZZ Top looked pretty solid from what I watched.

4 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Parsons really struggled at the end of the game. ZZ Top looked pretty solid from what I watched.

I’ve always like ZZ top, just thought he didn’t get much of a chance playing with higher skill. I think him on a line with Looch or Smith Pelly will allow him the time and space for his severely underrated shot ability. He was easy to push off the puck last year but I think he  could pot 15+ Goals  this year in the right situation. 

8 minutes ago, rickross said:

I’ve always like ZZ top, just thought he didn’t get much of a chance playing with higher skill. I think him on a line with Looch or Smith Pelly will allow him the time and space for his severely underrated shot ability. He was easy to push off the puck last year but I think he  could pot 15+ Goals  this year in the right situation. 

He was talking about Zag, not Zav.

Zag shut out the Nuks.

5 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

I personally dont blame Talbot cause the proper defence isnt in place there was still a plaster of rookies playing that made mistakes

I don't blame Talbot because he hasn't played a hockey game in a long time at it is the first game of the pre season.  But that game was not on the players in front of him.  

Recorded and watched the game in Victoria, here are some thoughts:

Czarnik: looked confident, was around the puck all night, wicked shot.

Dube: probably the fastest Flame in either game, uses that speed to hound the puck, awesome open ice hit leading to a goal.

Phillips: skating has come a long way, he uses that quickness to constantly put pressure on the puck, really tenacious.

Zagidulin: really quick in the net, he is a battler, was spinning around in his net too many times.

Parsons: has a way of making himself look small, and he is already on the smaller side.

Yelesin: really steady, threw a couple nice hits, has a bomb from the point.

Ruzicka: surprised me, used his size and reach well at both ends of the ice, showed good skill.

Zavgorodny: showed good skill and good speed, still needs to add some strength.

11 hours ago, rickross said:

Not sure how we lost that home split game 3-2 in OT. We dominated pretty much the entire game, can’t be good for Talbots confidence. Should be hearing the Tkachuk announcement any day now...right? 🙄

Flames were so dominant in the first period it was like NHL vs AHL. They started easing off the skating and strong play and that continued even further in the second.  Nevertheless they were up 2-0.  In the third they eased up even more, and after a bad goal the Canucks got some life and the Flames never got it cranked up in time, plus the Canucks goalie made some great saves.  

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Watched the game in Calgary, here are my thoughts:

Lucic: he played alright, used his size well, his skating was better than advertised. All in all he wasn't as terrible as Oilers fans like to say he is.

Smith-Pelley: he used his size well, threw some hits, wasn't super noticeable, but was effective for his role.

Rinaldo: his skating surprised me, much better than I thought. Threw some good hits. 

MacDonald: really steady, skates well and moved the puck well. Easily the best of the PTO's.

Gawdin: really responsible player, thinks the game well, works hard.

Hamilton: skates well, moves the puck well. Can see him earning an NHL contract with a good start to his season in Stockton.

Pelletier: good compete, good skill, good skater, and thinks the game really well. Might be closer to the NHL than I thought, not this season, but maybe as early as next season.

Talbot: terrible start to his Flames career, that being said I put very little stock in goaltending performances in the preseason, especially for NHL regulars. 

The rest of the regulars played as expected.

Agree across the board, but would add I thought Bennett played very well.  I’ve been on Bennett about his tendency to try to do it all and ignore his line mates but last night it was just the opposite.  He worked really well  with Backlund and especially Frolik (also played very well), seeing the ice very well and connecting on lots of passes to linemates.  That line was even better than Tkachuk there, which if it continues opens many interesting opportunities for some new combos.  

2 hours ago, kehatch said:

I don't blame Talbot because he hasn't played a hockey game in a long time at it is the first game of the pre season.  But that game was not on the players in front of him.  

Hey, it’s the first preseason, a split squad game, but yes, Talbot should have had all those goals.  It’s a tough start but hopefully he can build from here.  Rittich had 4 shots in over half the game and Zagidulin is still perfect after the rookie game and half a game last night.  Enough said for now, let the games continue.....

30 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Agree across the board, but would add I thought Bennett played very well.  I’ve been on Bennett about his tendency to try to do it all and ignore his line mates but last night it was just the opposite.  He worked really well  with Backlund and especially Frolik (also played very well), seeing the ice very well and connecting on lots of passes to linemates.  That line was even better than Tkachuk there, which if it continues opens many interesting opportunities for some new combos.  

Bennett was about what I expected to see.

He looked good, but I was hoping to see a new shot or tendencies towards shots.

I've complained about this before. NHL Training camps welcome alot of newcomers to the team. If, one of those newcomers outplay a Vet then the newcomer still loses because of a Vets contract situation. Dube will outplay Janks by a mile and get a wing spot. Zagidulin will outplay all goalies but be sent down because of Talbot's contract. Plus, it'd make BT look bad to send Calbot down.

Archived