2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

36 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Backlund has been one of the best two centers in the entire league the last 3-4 seasons. Keeping that player on the wing when you’ve seen no positive results is becoming a truly maddening coaching decision. indefensible imo 

Either they move him back to Tkachuk's line or 3rd line.

I don't really care if Lucic needs a RHS C.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

same here on Lucic. It looks to me like he needs 2011, not a right shot center.

They showed the 2013 Bruins team that beat TO in the 1st round.

I want that Lucic.

Maybe we get that in the playoffs, but I'm not pinning my hopes on it for the regular season.

These are the lines I would go with for the next two games.

Vs STL:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Mangiapane-Backlund-Bennett

Lucic-Jankowski-Rieder

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Stone-Hamonic

Rittich

Vs Edm:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Lucic-Rieder-Rinaldo

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Hamonic

Talbot

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Lucic-Jankowski-Rieder

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Stone-Hamonic

Rittich

Forward lines I am fine with but maybe Rinaldo for Jankowski.

I am also starting to become a big fan of Kylington and feel the defensive pair of

Kylington / Anderson should remain together as our future 1/2 defense pairing.

6 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Forward lines I am fine with but maybe Rinaldo for Jankowski.

I am also starting to become a big fan of Kylington and feel the defensive pair of

Kylington / Anderson should remain together as our future 1/2 defense pairing.

I have Jankowski and Stone in for the St. Louis game because it is the first game of a back to back and just want to have fresh bodies available for Edmonton.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

These are the lines I would go with for the next two games.

Vs STL:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Lucic-Jankowski-Rieder

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Stone-Hamonic

Rittich

Vs Edm:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Lucic-Rieder-Rinaldo

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Hamonic

Talbot

I think you have hit about the best way of using what we have.

I like the idea of having Ryan available for strong side draws with Monahan.

Also, this eliminate the waste of Backlund.

I am also a believer that you need to play Lucic on the 4th line.

Backlund and Bennett will have to shut down McD or Drai lines.

That line and Tkachuk's line are the best at doing that.

The D pairs are what I hope for.

Hanifin-Hamonic get exposed too easily.

Until the players believe in the win at all costs mentality they can’t go far.

The Flames got into the Playoffs and beat all of the Top3 teams in the conference to go to the Finals. That team played or fought to their every last breath. The only game they seemed to come out flat was Game 7 against Tampa but could’ve been tired or deflated by a goal that should’ve been. But the last period was the most amazing period of hockey I could ever remember. They did everything but score to tie it up or to take a lead. 

That team played like a team, fought for every inch for each other. 

I don’t see that kind of desire from these guys. We have a few guys with very good to elite skill, but there is no one that has good to elite compete levels. 

with Kobe Bryant dying today it makes me remember all of the greats that have willed their teams to wins and championships. 

Most of the time there’s a stud on the teams that win the cup. 

Tkachuk is sort of that player but I still find him a touch inconsistent considering he’s supposed to be an elite player. Gaudreau and Monahan go silent when it gets hard to play. The team follows those leads, they’re the ones that are supposed to set the example. Lindholm is getting there, but I still could rank him as a good 2nd line C.  

We have 2 good 2nd line C’s and 2 really good 3rd line C’s. 

Monahan has an elite release. 
Tkachuk has elite vision and IQ.

Gaudreau has elite skating and vision and passing but a decent shot. 
Lindholm has good hockey IQ and is good at a lot of things. 

we are just a bit off on a few lines.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Until the players believe in the win at all costs mentality they can’t go far.

The Flames got into the Playoffs and beat all of the Top3 teams in the conference to go to the Finals. That team played or fought to their every last breath. The only game they seemed to come out flat was Game 7 against Tampa but could’ve been tired or deflated by a goal that should’ve been. But the last period was the most amazing period of hockey I could ever remember. They did everything but score to tie it up or to take a lead. 

That team played like a team, fought for every inch for each other. 

I don’t see that kind of desire from these guys. We have a few guys with very good to elite skill, but there is no one that has good to elite compete levels. 

with Kobe Bryant dying today it makes me remember all of the greats that have willed their teams to wins and championships. 

Most of the time there’s a stud on the teams that win the cup. 

Tkachuk is sort of that player but I still find him a touch inconsistent considering he’s supposed to be an elite player. Gaudreau and Monahan go silent when it gets hard to play. The team follows those leads, they’re the ones that are supposed to set the example. Lindholm is getting there, but I still could rank him as a good 2nd line C.  

We have 2 good 2nd line C’s and 2 really good 3rd line C’s. 

Monahan has an elite release. 
Tkachuk has elite vision and IQ.

Gaudreau has elite skating and vision and passing but a decent shot. 
Lindholm has good hockey IQ and is good at a lot of things. 

we are just a bit off on a few lines.

tkachuk said on an interview about his performance in the all-star final game.. yea..I did a lot of backcheckiing.. we all did.. i Guess that's what it takes too win.. I don;t do that much on my team

3 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

tkachuk said on an interview about his performance in the all-star final game.. yea..I did a lot of backcheckiing.. we all did.. i Guess that's what it takes too win.. I don;t do that much on my team

that’s the other thing, winners push others to be winners. Or at least the guys that win championships, it is an expectation. I would be fine if that was the expectation and they still lost. I loved the teams in the Young Guns era because they fought hard even though they lost more than they won. 

On 1/20/2020 at 7:20 AM, JTech780 said:

Vs STL:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Lucic-Jankowski-Rieder

I would try for STL

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane  -No complaints how this line has played

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan          -makes an iq line

Dube-Backlund-Robinson           - Robinson adds a little size to this checking line

Lucic-Bennett-Rieder                  - I think Bennett and Reider work well together

17 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

We might be reading a bit much into the Robinson call up.  The team likes to bring up guys like him and Yelesin as a reward for good play.  They get to practice with the team and earn an nhl salary for a week or so, but don't get into games.

That's the way I see it as well...   His contract is up in July, so maybe they want to have a look...   But I think that he would really have to make a strong impression in a hurry to get into the lineup...

As far as putting him in against the Oil as a deterrent aside from his size, he might be 6'6",he is not a very good fighter...      Maybe they do give him a game or two...   He does have some skill with 16 goals and 14 assists in 40 games with the Heat...   Maybe they want to shake things up a bit...   Guess we will find out soon either way...

I do wonder how much of the fact that Robinson and Gaudreau are childhood friends has to do with his recall.

Maybe Gaudreau has been feeling homesick this season, and Robinson could help with that. I know that might sound like a slight to some, but some people handle being away from family and home better than others. 

If Robinson can come up and help Gaudreau feel more at home and get him feeling better, I could care less if he played at all. Heck if Gaudreau started playing better I would be fine with Robinson playing on the 4th line for the rest of the season.

21 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I do wonder how much of the fact that Robinson and Gaudreau are childhood friends has to do with his recall.

Maybe Gaudreau has been feeling homesick this season, and Robinson could help with that. I know that might sound like a slight to some, but some people handle being away from family and home better than others. 

If Robinson can come up and help Gaudreau feel more at home and get him feeling better, I could care less if he played at all. Heck if Gaudreau started playing better I would be fine with Robinson playing on the 4th line for the rest of the season.

If this is true then trade Gaudreau to Philly already.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The only thing I would change is Hamonic and Andersson.

The only good reason to play Kylington with Andersson is the inevitable scratch tomorrow.

Gove Ras less minutes tonight so he can play with Gio tomorrow, Brodie with Stone.

Satng that, I still don;t like it.

Kylington has been steady, while Hammer and Stone have not.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The only good reason to play Kylington with Andersson is the inevitable scratch tomorrow.

Gove Ras less minutes tonight so he can play with Gio tomorrow, Brodie with Stone.

Satng that, I still don;t like it.

Kylington has been steady, while Hammer and Stone have not.

I agree about Andersson, but I still don't see an NHL defenseman when I watch Kylington, I don't think he has been any better than Stone. Kylington just has the handedness and age going for him over Stone. IMO he hasn't progressed from last year and is still being extremely sheltered and he is still struggling in the role. He just isn't a player I would move forward with.

The fact that Kylington and Stone are still playing regular minutes is why I would be apt to target a defenseman than a forward going into the deadline. Having your 6th guy playing 13mins a night and struggling isn't a good recipe for success down the stretch and into the playoffs.

For me having Andersson move up has less to do with Hamonic and more to do with Andersson.

We all see what we see.

I don't see the struggles that you do.

I see some very smart plays from him.

The fact he's playing 13 minutes has as much to do with the fact the team is not dominating.

Close games, they are more apt to play Gio and Brodie.

I would like to see them target another D-man, but for a different reason.

To actually allow us to trade Brodie or Hamonic.

Prefer to move Hamonic.

Targeting a RD makes more sense, since we have less depth there.

Brodie can play LD, but moving Hamonic would mean Stone has to be used.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We all see what we see.

I don't see the struggles that you do.

I see some very smart plays from him.

The fact he's playing 13 minutes has as much to do with the fact the team is not dominating.

Close games, they are more apt to play Gio and Brodie.

I would like to see them target another D-man, but for a different reason.

To actually allow us to trade Brodie or Hamonic.

Prefer to move Hamonic.

Targeting a RD makes more sense, since we have less depth there.

Brodie can play LD, but moving Hamonic would mean Stone has to be used.

He does make some good plays, but usually they happen right after he makes a bad play. He is playing 13mins a night and getting 61% offensive zone starts because he isn't good enough to play more than that.

If we can move Brodie or Hamonic and get back an asset with term, that helps us now and going forward than sure you look at it, but I wouldn't be actively trying to move either defenseman right now, unless we start dropping down the standing before the deadline.

Right now the path to get to the conference finals is wide open and getting rid of defensemen doesn't help this team get to that point.

Archived