2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I could be wrong, but I just don't see Gawdin as a top 6 guy. I know he put up great numbers in WHL as an overage and now as a 22 year old he is 3rd in AHL scoring, but I see his role in the NHL as a bottom 6 center. Just don't think he has the speed or offensive skills to be a top 6 guy, would love to be wrong about that though.

I know they want to keep Lucic with a RHS center, so maybe that is where Gawdin can come into play.

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Bennett-Backlund-Rieder

Lucic-Gawdin-Frolik

the thing is, players see when guys get more ice, albeit, Lucic brings it almost every game. So I think it’s hard when the rest of the team is playing like Satoshi Nakamoto and all have Satoshi Nakamoto work ethic, when the guy is trying, don’t you gotta play the only guys working? It sucks. 

Has the music went away in practice? 

Tricks only last For so long. 

I get that Lucic has played well with right handed C’s but he hasn’t played well for 2+ seasons regardless of who he plays with. 

I kind of wish they’d just stick with a lineup and run with it. They blender too much. As much as, everyone playing the system should make everyone able to play together. There’s no chemistry!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think this is very close to the best looking possible line combinations for the flames at present. I would like to see Jankowski tried on RW with Johnny and Mony before we give up on him completely. Hard to justify with his play recently but I can't forget his 4 goal game centering the top line a couple of seasons back. I think he may respond to playing with more skill. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

i think Ward has reached the "let's throw crap against the wall and see what sticks" phase. Not that I really blame him. 

Would prefer if he swap Dube for Reider and mix up the D pairings. Personally I think it sucks that Hanifin-Andersson were so good together and then neither coach has gone back to it very much since. 

In some ways, it's hard for a coach to ask the GM for help when he hasn't tried certain things.

I agree with Hanifin-Andersson being better, but they also had one game that was crap.

I also tend to think they are maximizing Hamonic's trade value by giving him 22 minutes plus.

Demote him to the 3rd pair, and it shows he is no better than Stone.

I look at the situaton a bit differently.

Kylington does make the occastional gaffe, but he is more capable of recovery than Hanifin.

Hanifin committs and gets burned.

Kylington committs but is working to get back once he zone enters.

21 hours ago, Ward54 said:

I think this is very close to the best looking possible line combinations for the flames at present. I would like to see Jankowski tried on RW with Johnny and Mony before we give up on him completely. Hard to justify with his play recently but I can't forget his 4 goal game centering the top line a couple of seasons back. I think he may respond to playing with more skill. 

Bennett comes back from being sat and has a great game and is the second star.  Then he starts the next game on the 4th line?  Then they move him up with Ryan part way through the game and bingo, things start happening.  I like that Bennett Ryan combo and feel they could play with Dube or others. I maintain that after having to become the tough guy on the team Bennett’s conditioning is too strength focused.  He had a step in the last game and it made a difference.  They were great with Mangi but he has earned his place higher.   The problem here is Lucic.  Its great we have him because I am not seeing as many cheap shots against the team this year but its a tough call where to play him.  I know, the coaches are giving him a chance to get back in form and he is making an effort......  

Janko has been sucked into the Backlund defensive centre vortex.  I agree with the comment to put him on the wing for a while but his biggest knock is that he plays smaller than Johnny?  I believe he has more skill but he needs to use his size better.  Not sure how that happens but a move to wing with less responsibility And some banging on the boards may be good for him.  

I like Backlund on the wing for now, this was a great call by Wardo but his give aways and general lack of effort at times drives me nuts and he must be terrible on face offs because I only ever see him lose draws in our zone.

Shillington’s stick is too short, he has a ton of skill and is fast fast but how many times have we seen that puck slip off the stick and head the other way?  He scares me but I like him and that probably sums that up.

Hamonic is the only tough D On the team.  If we trade him and dont get toughness back Im worried.

thumbs up for the Talbot/ Rittich combo.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Andersson re-signed to 6 years at $4.55m AAV.

Good to see him signed. He keeps getting better and should provide great value on that deal.

I'm glad they did 6 years.

It was a shame that they bridged TJ and it ended up costing us a lot (at the time) for a 5 yar deal.

I hope that Kylington takes that as motivation to become an everyday player.

If you have to sit out for STone, that tells you something (other than the coach can't measure Stone properly).

Well deserved. I can’t recall a prospect in recent memory whose worked as hard as Rasmus to rework their story. He’s the type of player you bet on. 

I like the term but am a bit neutral on how great of value this may be. Has the potential to be, but I see him settling in as more of a 2nd pairing guy and not sure he’ll produce the offense to make this a steal. Would have preferred a slightly lower number. 

but again, this is still a smart and worthwhile bet imo 

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Has the potential to be, but I see him settling in as more of a 2nd pairing guy and not sure he’ll produce the offense to make this a steal. Would have preferred a slightly lower number.

I think he is still trying to figure out what he should be.

He's modeling after Gio, and I think he needs to define his own ways.

He's also passing off to the vets, even though he may a much better chance at hitting the net.

As a passer, he is very accurate.

He doesn't just shoot it up along the boards.

Not trying to sell you on him, just pointing out what I see.

Interesting recall. I wonder if someone was banged up last night. There also could be a trade coming but I would think that is less likely. The other scenario here is that Yelesin might have a clause in his contract that if he isn't in the NHL by a certain date he can go back to the KHL.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting recall. I wonder if someone was banged up last night. There also could be a trade coming but I would think that is less likely. The other scenario here is that Yelesin might have a clause in his contract that if he isn't in the NHL by a certain date he can go back to the KHL.

Road trip, and there may be one player sore after last night.

Most likely a RD.

They may want him in practices, and since he isn;t exactly a rokie, they might want him to step into a game before STone.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Road trip, and there may be one player sore after last night.

Most likely a RD.

They may want him in practices, and since he isn;t exactly a rokie, they might want him to step into a game before STone.

maybe he has also earned a shot at a game? Have we gotten better at playing our AHLers that have played well enough to get a bonus by seeing NHL action? 

Hamonic made that really good block on a McD shot last night, and it looked like inside the leg, could be a soft spot now? 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Could be wrong but I’d be surprised if he plays. My bet is they want someone around for a long road trip where a recall to Cali isn’t easy. 

That's the logical deduction.

It gives them 8D, though someone could have been a little sore.

Looking at ice time, only Kylington didn;t play much in the 3rd.

His last shift was at the 10 minute mark.

Which seems a little odd.

He was not playing badly at all.

There was only one penalty after then.

If Kylington was injured, it wold make sense to bting up Davidson.

Tin foil hat suggests they feel he is ready for a game.

sounds like Steinberg commented today that some players are nursing injuries. Not serious enough to take them out of the lineup but they didn't want to be stuck if something got worse. 

It's not very common that players get called up prior to a deal being made or get called up because a deal is close. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

sounds like Steinberg commented today that some players are nursing injuries. Not serious enough to take them out of the lineup but they didn't want to be stuck if something got worse. 

It's not very common that players get called up prior to a deal being made or get called up because a deal is close. 

I kind of wish they'd rest the injuries. Although, I guess some players need to play through some injuries otherwise they might get harder to play through? 

Backlund's use is killing the team a bit I think.  He's not a winger, and a poor fit for JG and SM.  He should be our 3C.  Maybe try Dube on the right side of that line.  I'd also try to focus on making Bennett a bit more of a shutdown player, since the offense just isn't there.

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mang

Gaudreau-Mony-Dube

Bennett-Backlund-Jankowski

Lucic-Ryan-Reider/Rinaldo

2 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Backlund's use is killing the team a bit I think.  He's not a winger, and a poor fit for JG and SM.  He should be our 3C.  Maybe try Dube on the right side of that line.  I'd also try to focus on making Bennett a bit more of a shutdown player, since the offense just isn't there.

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mang

Gaudreau-Mony-Dube

Bennett-Backlund-Jankowski

Lucic-Ryan-Reider/Rinaldo

Backlund is still the kind of player that makes room for others. He’s lost his finish this year, even more than last year. He still does things well, but I think those might be right about not being a good fit for the line. I think the coaches think he is like Lindholm but he hasn’t been Really.  

I think the line with Bennett and Backlund could work, but want to use Jankowski in a deal.

Archived