2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

I Like czarnick.. just don't see how his offensive talent fits on the top 2 or 3 lines unless someone is traded

He would only replace Mangiapane.

I don;t think his style fits with Lucic-Ryan, but who knows.

I may have a tinfoil hat, but I think a trade is coming.

You don't go all in on Hall, with no backup plan.

Something is brewing.

Czarnik isn;t affordable with the current cap.

Janko sits because we are taking less penalties.

Yet, we are 0-1-1 with Bennett back in.

He isn;t the problem, but so far not part of the solution.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He would only replace Mangiapane.

I don;t think his style fits with Lucic-Ryan, but who knows.

I may have a tinfoil hat, but I think a trade is coming.

You don't go all in on Hall, with no backup plan.

Something is brewing.

Czarnik isn;t affordable with the current cap.

Janko sits because we are taking less penalties.

Yet, we are 0-1-1 with Bennett back in.

He isn;t the problem, but so far not part of the solution.

I agree I think a trade is coming. 

Involving one or both of Bennett and Hamonic.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the lines I would try:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Don't think you can touch this line, they are playing too well and doing it while getting some tough assignments.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube

Dube might be able to do what Mangiapane is doing for the 1st line, add some speed and puck pursuit.

Bennett-Backlund-Rieder

More of a checking line.

Lucic-Jankowski-Ryan

Need Jankowski in the lineup for his PK ability.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Here is the lines I would try:

Don't think you can touch this line, they are playing too well and doing it while getting some tough assignments.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube

Dube might be able to do what Mangiapane is doing for the 1st line, add some speed and puck pursuit.

Bennett-Backlund-Rieder

More of a checking line.

Lucic-Jankowski-Ryan

Need Jankowski in the lineup for his PK ability.

With the present group, that's about the best we can muster.

Dube and Mange are about the best shooting RW's we have.

Rieder might even fit, but can;t really tell since he gets so few perfect passes.

If these are the regulars, then we need to trade Frolik.

Trade him for L.Andersson.

I could be convinced to trade/waive Janko and bring up Gawdin.

One guy I would bring up for a look at is Buddy Robinson. He is leading the Heat in scoring, he is a big guy at 6'6" 230lbs, he is a RHS RW.

The other reason I would call him up is that he and Johnny Gaudreau grew up playing together. Maybe having one of his lifelong friends around might help Gaudreau start having fun again.

34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

One guy I would bring up for a look at is Buddy Robinson. He is leading the Heat in scoring, he is a big guy at 6'6" 230lbs, he is a RHS RW.

The other reason I would call him up is that he and Johnny Gaudreau grew up playing together. Maybe having one of his lifelong friends around might help Gaudreau start having fun again.

I'm not sure if he's able to make the jump. Between this and last years pre-seasons and what I saw of him in Winnipeg he seems to have a tough time keeping up with the fast guys and at times even looked awkward. Plus he doesnt seem to use his size alot.  But maybe you're right and the point totals are reflective in some growth. In that sense You could also make a case for Quine who is doing quite well (better PPG) in the A and has shown some success with the big club already.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Not a bad idea, but the guy that has been most consistent is Gawdin.

Already reached his goal total from last year.

Not a standout at one particular thing, he does provide consistency.

No NHL experience, but he was putting up better numbers that Dube.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not a bad idea, but the guy that has been most consistent is Gawdin.

Already reached his goal total from last year.

Not a standout at one particular thing, he does provide consistency.

No NHL experience, but he was putting up better numbers that Dube.

My main idea for bringing up Robinson is more about getting Gaudreau going and less about what he can do on the ice. We need to do something to get Gaudreau going, and nothing else has worked to this point.

I agree JT. I’m not well versed on waivers and such, but why not bring Robinson up for a game or two. If it sparks something, continue to do it here and there (not often), but also bring up deserving players like Gawdin perhaps for longer looks. 

11 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I agree JT. I’m not well versed on waivers and such, but why not bring Robinson up for a game or two. If it sparks something, continue to do it here and there (not often), but also bring up deserving players like Gawdin perhaps for longer looks. 

we have zero cap room to move guys in and out of the line-up

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

My main idea for bringing up Robinson is more about getting Gaudreau going and less about what he can do on the ice. We need to do something to get Gaudreau going, and nothing else has worked to this point.

So a former high scoring WHL player and AHL scoring threat has nothing to offer?

Maybe just maybe the Flames try something unusual.

4 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

Flames don't do unusual very well they are strictly structured and planned for like the next five years.. Maybe that's part of the problem.. They've taken the emotion out of the game and play chess on ice

They are somewhat limited by the cap (thanks BT).

I understand the need for a player like Rinaldo, but I don't like it.

We shouldn't need to have a player of his skillset on the roster; we should have skilled guys with that emotion.

I don't really think the roster is set for 5 years.

But I do think they have trouble identifying NHL talent.

My biggest beef right now is player usage.

Sure Lucic is adding a dimension we lack.

But he's playing at a 4th line level right now.

And we have a top player toiling away on the 3rd line.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik looked good for a period.

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mange look good most games.

Monahan only looks good when he has JH on his line.

Something's missing.

I don't think we have the right player RIGHT NOW to play with Monahan and Gaudreau.

Dube will be there soon.

Mangiapane is there, but looks so good with Tkachuk.

If Bennett and Janko and Hamonic are drawing interest, for Gord's sake, make a deal for something you need.

I would sooner lose Hamonic if it brought us a top 6 F.

Stone may be bad at times, but he is not as useless as Hamonic at times.

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So a former high scoring WHL player and AHL scoring threat has nothing to offer?

Maybe just maybe the Flames try something unusual.

I have no issues with calling up Gawdin, but I am not sure he is going to be a differance maker. I also don't think the 4th line is the issue with this team. One of the issues with this team is that our best player aren't playing like our best players, need to figure out how to get them going.

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I have no issues with calling up Gawdin, but I am not sure he is going to be a differance maker. I also don't think the 4th line is the issue with this team. One of the issues with this team is that our best player aren't playing like our best players, need to figure out how to get them going.

We are using Lucic in a 3rd line capacity, sometimes playing him 15 mins a game.

At the same time, we are playing Gaudreau with him expecting a turnaround.

If Monahan was playing better away from him, then that's fine.

He's not, it lasts 2 periods at most.

Sometimes I think we have a problem in using call ups in a situation that matches their level.

Gawdin can play top line minutes.

It's not like Backlun is making a difference with Monahan.

A RHS that can play C.

The Flames coaches tend to not go there, but I am just suggesting it being tried.

It might work.

Short of making a trade, you sometimes needs to make hard choices.

So, here's a crazy lineup suggestion:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Gawdin

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Lucic-Dube-Rieder

Or if you want sub Gawdin with Dube.  At least this way we have three good C's, and a speedy line with grit on the 4th.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We are using Lucic in a 3rd line capacity, sometimes playing him 15 mins a game.

At the same time, we are playing Gaudreau with him expecting a turnaround.

If Monahan was playing better away from him, then that's fine.

He's not, it lasts 2 periods at most.

Sometimes I think we have a problem in using call ups in a situation that matches their level.

Gawdin can play top line minutes.

It's not like Backlun is making a difference with Monahan.

A RHS that can play C.

The Flames coaches tend to not go there, but I am just suggesting it being tried.

It might work.

Short of making a trade, you sometimes needs to make hard choices.

So, here's a crazy lineup suggestion:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Gawdin

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Lucic-Dube-Rieder

Or if you want sub Gawdin with Dube.  At least this way we have three good C's, and a speedy line with grit on the 4th.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see Gawdin as a top 6 guy. I know he put up great numbers in WHL as an overage and now as a 22 year old he is 3rd in AHL scoring, but I see his role in the NHL as a bottom 6 center. Just don't think he has the speed or offensive skills to be a top 6 guy, would love to be wrong about that though.

I know they want to keep Lucic with a RHS center, so maybe that is where Gawdin can come into play.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Bennett-Backlund-Rieder

Lucic-Gawdin-Frolik

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

They are somewhat limited by the cap (thanks BT).

I understand the need for a player like Rinaldo, but I don't like it.

We shouldn't need to have a player of his skillset on the roster; we should have skilled guys with that emotion.

I don't really think the roster is set for 5 years.

But I do think they have trouble identifying NHL talent.

My biggest beef right now is player usage.

Sure Lucic is adding a dimension we lack.

But he's playing at a 4th line level right now.

And we have a top player toiling away on the 3rd line.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik looked good for a period.

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mange look good most games.

Monahan only looks good when he has JH on his line.

Something's missing.

I don't think we have the right player RIGHT NOW to play with Monahan and Gaudreau.

Dube will be there soon.

Mangiapane is there, but looks so good with Tkachuk.

If Bennett and Janko and Hamonic are drawing interest, for Gord's sake, make a deal for something you need.

I would sooner lose Hamonic if it brought us a top 6 F.

Stone may be bad at times, but he is not as useless as Hamonic at times.

the thing is that we do need a Rinaldo type player, which is why he is on the 4th line, because he is a 4th liner. You talk like we need more skill, which we do, but Rinaldo isn’t the problem and in fact all of the other contracts kind of hold him back. 

I get we need more goals but we do need a guy who puts himself out there that changes momentum. We don’t have that. 

And you’re right, BT pooped the bed on building the team. They’re too small and easily taken off the game. I say the team is great at finding NHL talent with a certain build and skill sets. They’re a lot alike, smaller better than average skaters, but don’t wow. When they’re engaged they might rub a guy out but isn’t going to kill the other team physically and other teams know that. The Flames are an easy team to play against, all you have to do is bring some effort. 

lately, other teams just bring an average effort and defeated the Flames quite easily. 

See for me this is not a talent issue. The Flames, imo, have all the pieces they need to be a good team. They should easily be defending their division title and when you talk about things like lack of effort, getting off their game, easy to play against etc etc. That's not a GM problem, that's a player problem and there is not much any GM can do when you don't have players buying in, and your best players playing so far below their capabilities. 

Time to address the real problem and stop scapegoating the coach/GM like the Flames have done for 30 years. 

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

the thing is that we do need a Rinaldo type player, which is why he is on the 4th line, because he is a 4th liner. You talk like we need more skill, which we do, but Rinaldo isn’t the problem and in fact all of the other contracts kind of hold him back. 

I get we need more goals but we do need a guy who puts himself out there that changes momentum. We don’t have that. 

And you’re right, BT pooped the bed on building the team. They’re too small and easily taken off the game. I say the team is great at finding NHL talent with a certain build and skill sets. They’re a lot alike, smaller better than average skaters, but don’t wow. When they’re engaged they might rub a guy out but isn’t going to kill the other team physically and other teams know that. The Flames are an easy team to play against, all you have to do is bring some effort. 

lately, other teams just bring an average effort and defeated the Flames quite easily. 

I don't really agree.

We need a player like Rinaldo with skill.

He brings energy, but is a loability at times.

He's not an everyday player.

As for prospects, we haven;t had a 1st rounder in a long time.

That's where you tend to fins a mix of speed, skill, size and bite.

We got 2/4 in Pelletier, but the last one we drafted was Bennett before him.

As for small vs big, the NHL drifts back and forth between the type of team needed to win.

There is no magic formula.

Compete is the biggest thing you need.

We have game changers that aren;t changing the game right now.

Gaudreau is the wrong player when he's ineffective.

Tkachuk is one, but he can struggle in a game.

Gio is not asserting himself as much this year.

i think Ward has reached the "let's throw crap against the wall and see what sticks" phase. Not that I really blame him. 

Would prefer if he swap Dube for Reider and mix up the D pairings. Personally I think it sucks that Hanifin-Andersson were so good together and then neither coach has gone back to it very much since. 

Archived