2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

Let's say they don't manage to trade Neal and he is still here. Ideally BP needs to build an effective line that taps into Neal's talents not bury him on the 3rd or 4th line.

I believe the C to trade for is Brayden Schenn from STL to go along with Tkachuk LW and Neal RW. I see a good chemistry of skill, hard checking and a group that would buy space for each other. It definitely would not be a speedy line but they all have experience to draw upon.  Trade Managiapane and Kylington to get Schenn, extend him.

If BT managed this deal, I would try a deal just mentioned in the Realistic trade thread to trade Backlund C and Frolik RW to WAS for Holtby G and Ellers C. Holtby has one year remaining on his contract and by trading him frees up WAS to go after Bobrovsky. To build on these moves sign Connolly RW as a UFA which allows us to build a fast line with both shutdown and scoring ability.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuk, Schenn, Neal

Bennett, Ellers, Connolly

Dube, Ryan, Lazar
DEFENSE

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Brodie

Fantenberg

GOALIES

Holtby, Rittich

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Let's say they don't manage to trade Neal and he is still here. Ideally BP needs to build an effective line that taps into Neal's talents not bury him on the 3rd or 4th line.

I believe the C to trade for is Brayden Schenn from STL to go along with Tkachuk LW and Neal RW. I see a good chemistry of skill, hard checking and a group that would buy space for each other. It definitely would not be a speedy line but they all have experience to draw upon.  Trade Managiapane and Kylington to get Schenn, extend him.

If BT managed this deal, I would try a deal just mentioned in the Realistic trade thread to trade Backlund C and Frolik RW to WAS for Holtby G and Ellers C. Holtby has one year remaining on his contract and by trading him frees up WAS to go after Bobrovsky. To build on these moves sign Connolly RW as a UFA which allows us to build a fast line with both shutdown and scoring ability.

Tkachuk, Schenn, Neal

Dube, Ryan, Lazar
DEFENSE

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Brodie

Fantenberg

GOALIES

Holtby, Rittich

I like your thinking of Schenn, but I am of the thinking that Mang and Kylington wouldn't get that done. Your roster doesn't include Hathaway or Janko. I would love to believe that Lazar could replace Hathaway but I can't see him being half as physical. 

Removing Backlund makes no sense.

I would rather find a more suited 4C and move Ryan up to 3C with Janko on the wing.

I would revisit the Zucker deal. If they will still take Frolik and maybe a pick or prospect would be good.

If we could trade Brodie to Montreal for Shaw

Then......

JH/Mony/Lindholm

Tkachuk/Backs/Zucker

Bennett/Ryan/Neal or Jankowski

Mang/Dube/Shaw or Hathaway

There is NO way Neal get's traded. No team wants that contract after this past season, maybe next year if he turns it around but then we may want to keep him.

12 hours ago, FlameFan4Life said:

I like your thinking of Schenn, but I am of the thinking that Mang and Kylington wouldn't get that done. Your roster doesn't include Hathaway or Janko. I would love to believe that Lazar could replace Hathaway but I can't see him being half as physical. 

Removing Backlund makes no sense.

I would rather find a more suited 4C and move Ryan up to 3C with Janko on the wing.

I would revisit the Zucker deal. If they will still take Frolik and maybe a pick or prospect would be good.

If we could trade Brodie to Montreal for Shaw

Then......

JH/Mony/Lindholm

Tkachuk/Backs/Zucker

Bennett/Ryan/Neal or Jankowski

Mang/Dube/Shaw or Hathaway

There is NO way Neal get's traded. No team wants that contract after this past season, maybe next year if he turns it around but then we may want to keep him.

It's all guesswork at this point and everyone has there wants and wishes for the team. STL has a heavy payroll so I wouldn't rule out the deal I suggested now that both have some NHL time on their resumes. Lazar over Hathaway may save some money, may not, just like to see some graduation from the AHL, I'm not sure we lose or gain physically from the move. Removing Backlund makes all kinds of sense combined with Frolik to WAS. WAS needs to shore up defensively to take on TB and BOS in the East. They trade us Holtby in his last contract season and go after Bobrovsky. We need a top Goalie and a C in Ellers at 3.5M to replace Backlund but play 3rd line. What's not to like ?

If you don't trade Neal you don't need Zucker which was the whole point of the post.

Brodie for Shaw PUKE, surely you know we can do better than that from MON and nobody wants Shaw on their team (besides you obviously)

Yes I see Jankowski traded tis offseason.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:33 AM, MAC331 said:

Tkachuk, Schenn, Neal

Dube, Ryan, Lazar
DEFENSE

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Brodie

Fantenberg

GOALIES

Holtby, Rittich

I would suggest that WAS trading Holtby to go after Bob is a curious thing to do.

In FA, they would need to pay as much or more for Bob than Holtby will get on an extension.

This for a team that doesn't have much space ($9m) with only 8 forwards signed for 19/20.

If we make any deals with WAS, it has to be low-paid players going to them.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would suggest that WAS trading Holtby to go after Bob is a curious thing to do.

In FA, they would need to pay as much or more for Bob than Holtby will get on an extension.

This for a team that doesn't have much space ($9m) with only 8 forwards signed for 19/20.

If we make any deals with WAS, it has to be low-paid players going to them.

What can I say, they like their Russians and Swedes in WAS. I would go for simply a Backlund C for Holtby G trade. They could trade Ellers to another team.

20 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What can I say, they like their Russians and Swedes in WAS. I would go for simply a Backlund C for Holtby G trade. They could trade Ellers to another team.

I get what you are saying, but even Backlund for Holtby doesn't help their situation, unless they go with a rookie in nets.

Don't get me wrong, I would be all over a Holtby deal if it didn't involve any core players.

Gillies, Bennett and Janko for Holtby.  All day long.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I get what you are saying, but even Backlund for Holtby doesn't help their situation, unless they go with a rookie in nets.

Don't get me wrong, I would be all over a Holtby deal if it didn't involve any core players.

Gillies, Bennett and Janko for Holtby.  All day long.

They could trade Ellers and manage depending on if you over-thinking what they need to pay Bobrovsky.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

They could trade Ellers and manage depending on if you over-thinking what they need to pay Bobrovsky.

I don't know if Bob gets $7m or $10m.  He was making $6.5m so I don't think it's a stretch for him to command $9m as a UFA.

Even CBJ would be hard pressed to pay him less than that.

You will need to buy max term with Bob, and the salary has to be worth it to him.

Vrana and Connolly were steals for them, considering the amount of points they put up.

Both will get raises, which chews into the 11m in cap they currently have with only 8 forwards signed.

That may be a bit higher with the new cap, but not by a huge amount.

They need to move out some salary to re-sign the guys they have.

RFA with arbitration rights and a few UFAs (Connolly).

Vrana is the only one without rights, but he will absolutely be re-signed.

36 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Any interest in Eberle as UFA? I like him better than Connolly as there's more of a track record. Connolly screams Beleskey or Clarkson to me

As with all UFAs, it depends on the price.

Eberle had a down year.  Classic "if he's not scoring then he's not doing anything for you" type of player.  Yet, no reason why he cannot score 30 under the right circumstances.

He's also fast enough a player that I feel he can keep up speed wise for the next 5 years, at least.  He just turned 29 so not "old" yet.

Danger is, we are getting smaller and softer with Eberle. 

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

As with all UFAs, it depends on the price.

Eberle had a down year.  Classic "if he's not scoring then he's not doing anything for you" type of player.  Yet, no reason why he cannot score 30 under the right circumstances.

He's also fast enough a player that I feel he can keep up speed wise for the next 5 years, at least.  He just turned 29 so not "old" yet.

Danger is, we are getting smaller and softer with Eberle. 

Eberle is slowing down skating wise, I don't think he will be able to keep up with the play in the very near future. Eberle is a prime candidate to be a player like Neal where his skating and skills deteriorate so drastically that he can not compete at an NHL level, I mean he already doesn't compete at an NHL level.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Eberle is slowing down skating wise, I don't think he will be able to keep up with the play in the very near future. Eberle is a prime candidate to be a player like Neal where his skating and skills deteriorate so drastically that he can not compete at an NHL level, I mean he already doesn't compete at an NHL level.

It's funny because in the playoffs, he was doing things that EDM wanted him to do in the playoffs.

I would prefer Hall over Eberle, but a RHS might not be a bad thing.

If I'm spending UFA dollars, then I prefer someone that is 100% compete.

Duchene over Eberle.

Panarin over Eberle.

If I'm paying 7-8m, I want a guy that can make a big difference.

16 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Any interest in Eberle as UFA? I like him better than Connolly as there's more of a track record. Connolly screams Beleskey or Clarkson to me

Curious why you draw those comparisons to Connolly ?

I would say Connolly has more in common early in his career to Lindholm or even Bennett.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Depends on the price.  Right?

My main reserve is when he was drafted by the Oilers, all you can see on his face was his smile because he said he grew up in Regina a big Oilers fan (aka hates the Flames).  His heart wouldn't be here.

Not that he has any.  He doesn't really compete at an NHL level.   Just a guy happy to pad his stats.  If there are better choices then I would pass on Eberle for sure.

There will certainly be changes, as that appears to be Treliving’s M.O.

Heck. he changed out 1/3 of the roster and 3 coaches last season.

Personally, I think that the current group has learned some harsh lessons from this season’s play-offs.

I feel that the ones who do return for next season, will be more motivated and less fearful of the play-offs next season.

I don’t expect them to win the conference next regular season, but my guess is that they will go further along in the play-offs, in part due to their trials and tribulations this year.

This is a risky and unlikely signing, but how would anyone feel about a Pavelski signing?

Once again emphasis on risky, but he’s the type of leader and player this team needs. Countless articles of him staying on the ice late for hours on end tipping pucks and shooting rolling pucks. He always works his tail off every shift.

Guys like him don’t grow on trees. Would have to give him 3rd year on the deal for sure. I’d imagine he could be an impact player until almost 40 Ike Williams 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is a risky and unlikely signing, but how would anyone feel about a Pavelski signing?

Once again emphasis on risky, but he’s the type of leader and player this team needs. Countless articles of him staying on the ice late for hours on end tipping pucks and shooting rolling pucks. He always works his tail off every shift.

Guys like him don’t grow on trees. Would have to give him 3rd year on the deal for sure. I’d imagine he could be an impact player until almost 40 Ike Williams 

I would never say never, but there is almost no chance of Joe leaving SJS.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

SJ has built in loyalty so I don't expect they will let Pavelski it the market. I don't see them signing Karlsson there again. Thornton will retire. The money will be there for Pavelski.

14 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Personally, I think that the current group has learned some harsh lessons from this season’s play-offs.

I feel that the ones who do return for next season, will be more motivated and less fearful of the play-offs next season.

I don’t expect them to win the conference next regular season, but my guess is that they will go further along in the play-offs, in part due to their trials and tribulations this year.

Hard to predict until we see what changes BT actually makes but I agree the harsh lessons should have the returnees motivated and newbies excited.

15 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

When you miss the playoffs then you change 1/3 the roster.  If you win the conference, then I wonder...

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

SJ has built in loyalty so I don't expect they will let Pavelski it the market. I don't see them signing Karlsson there again. Thornton will retire. The money will be there for Pavelski.

Maybe but everyone thought the same about Marleau and he left because Toronto offered a 3rd year that Doug Wilson refused to give him 

32 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Maybe but everyone thought the same about Marleau and he left because Toronto offered a 3rd year that Doug Wilson refused to give him 

To be honest I thought both Marleau and Thornton would have retired at that point. Leaving could happen but SJ isn't in rebuild mode and fell short of their goal again so I would say Wilson will ante up for Pavelski.

Archived