2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Has playing him with top 6 players helped his game so far?

Gaudreau has 8 points 5v5 this season, that's 6th on the team and he has played significantly more than anyone ahead of him.

Playing him on the 3rd line allows him to get away from the top defensive units of other teams. Lucic and Ryan have been generating a ton of chances lately, and having Gaudreau with them will hopefully mean that more of those chances will be converted.

You sure about that?

He has 8 pp points, Monahan 8, Lindy and Tkachuk 7.

One of the few places he's played well is with Tkachuk.

I have no issues with trying different things to get players going.

This one seems more about making a statement than setting them up for success.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You sure about that?

He has 8 pp points, Monahan 8, Lindy and Tkachuk 7.

One of the few places he's played well is with Tkachuk.

I have no issues with trying different things to get players going.

This one seems more about making a statement than setting them up for success.

Positive.

Gaudreau is still good on the PP, but he has been a negative at 5v5. Putting him on that line is all about getting him away from the top defensive units.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

This is his points breakdown

5v5: 8 points

PP: 8 points

Empty Net: 3 points

Other (4v4, 3v3): 2 points

Thanks for that breakdown.

So, Lucic-Ryan-Dube has been clicking as a unit, though not scoring that much.

Dube does a lot of things JH does not do.

I just don't see the benefit of hamstringing your (typically) most productive player.

Lucic can carry the play on the boards, but struggles with passing plays.

Ryan is all-round, but doesn't have the finish of a player like Lindholm or Tkachuk.

I like the idea of Mangiapane getting top minutes with Lindholm.

The 2nd line is guys that have struggled to finish all season.  And Dube.

Might work out, given the assignments.

Just don't have a lot of faith in Lucic with Gaudreau.

Would love to be proven wrong.

I'm interested to see how long Ward runs these lines for.

It seems like something that he's wanted to experiment with but Peters was vehemently against.. (Gaudreau on RW, Mony not at C, Lindholm at C.)

I actually like that third line, as it potentially lightens the matchups for JH... and if not that it at least spreads out the talent by having all 3 of Mony/Lindy/JH on separate lines.

We cannot be a one-line attack as we were for most of last season.

I still think that Calgary's defense is pretty solid with the 6 0r seven(including Valamaki ) and I would keep the pairings as Gio/ Brodie.. Hanafin/Hamonic/, Anderson/Kylington/Valamaki.. but Stone still needs to go.. The forwards however are still a concern.. Wrong type of centermen and lack of right wingers.. and Jankowski needs to go.. He just does';t fit in the top two lines which is where he should be by now.. Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Backlund/Lindstrom/Monahan need one more right handed offensive player to round out the top six    if we use.. Lucic/Ryan/ Frolik as the third Vet line.. that leaves 3 of the following for the 4th energy line.. bennett/czarnik/mangiapane/dube/ Reider/Rinaldo.. these six players are all interchangeable.. roughly all the same height and weight and all are left handed except for czarnik

5 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

I still think that Calgary's defense is pretty solid with the 6 0r seven(including Valamaki ) and I would keep the pairings as Gio/ Brodie.. Hanafin/Hamonic/, Anderson/Kylington/Valamaki.. but Stone still needs to go.. The forwards however are still a concern.. Wrong type of centermen and lack of right wingers.. and Jankowski needs to go.. He just does';t fit in the top two lines which is where he should be by now.. Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Backlund/Lindstrom/Monahan need one more right handed offensive player to round out the top six    if we use.. Lucic/Ryan/ Frolik as the third Vet line.. that leaves 3 of the following for the 4th energy line.. bennett/czarnik/mangiapane/dube/ Reider/Rinaldo.. these six players are all interchangeable.. roughly all the same height and weight and all are left handed except for czarnik

I think last year was the year they missed the boat. They had to put Lindholm with Monny and Johnny. But I think they need to spread it out. One line can’t do it all. 

I would also try Bennett back at C. He only ever gets one game there or with any new line mates for that matter. Try him there for five games or so. If you need to do it on the 4th line, so be it. 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I think last year was the year they missed the boat. They had to put Lindholm with Monny and Johnny. But I think they need to spread it out. One line can’t do it all. 

I would also try Bennett back at C. He only ever gets one game there or with any new line mates for that matter. Try him there for five games or so. If you need to do it on the 4th line, so be it. 

you'll notice I didn't list these players as lines except for the three guys on the third line .. Move em around to different positions as needed but the top guys should be on the top 2 lines and the new guys should be on the 4th line.. We are seriously lacking right handed shots on this team and Yes.. it does make a difference

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i do reallly like Maniapane/Bennett/czarnik/Dube as a line

At some point, both Bennett and Czarnik will be back.

Obviously RInaldo will be sent down.

But we only have a couple of guys that you could argue should come out.

Frolik - not a great season, but is usefull on the PK and all round energy guy.

Janko - PK has been his saving grace; without him we looked petty bad.

Dube - not sure how you break up the line actually producing 5v5.

Rieder - finally starting to put it together.

Outside of that, where is the fit?

Bennett hasn;t been great with Janko or Lucic.

Czarnik might take Rierder's or Frolik's spot. 

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

At some point, both Bennett and Czarnik will be back.

Obviously RInaldo will be sent down.

But we only have a couple of guys that you could argue should come out.

Frolik - not a great season, but is usefull on the PK and all round energy guy.

Janko - PK has been his saving grace; without him we looked petty bad.

Dube - not sure how you break up the line actually producing 5v5.

Rieder - finally starting to put it together.

Outside of that, where is the fit?

Bennett hasn;t been great with Janko or Lucic.

Czarnik might take Rierder's or Frolik's spot. 

You're assuming he deserves a spot back in.  When he last played neither him or the rest of the team were not playing well and yes he does have better #s than some but slotting him automatically is a lateral move at best.  Maybe keep Janko out and slot him in at 4C or 4LW?

It will be interesting when Bennett and Czarnik get back to the team how they fit in. Right now I just don't see how you can touch the top 9. Jankowski, Rieder and Frolik all add a lot to one of the top PK's in the league. 

I wouldn't be opposed to a Frolik-Bennett-Czarnik 4th line.

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

It will be interesting when Bennett and Czarnik get back to the team how they fit in. Right now I just don't see how you can touch the top 9. Jankowski, Rieder and Frolik all add a lot to one of the top PK's in the league. 

I wouldn't be opposed to a Frolik-Bennett-Czarnik 4th line.

The 3rd line was one of the good ones last night.

Maybe you can insert one at a time, but you have to be careful.

Bennett plays a heavier game than Janko, but the speed isn't always there.

Tough choices.

Czarnik might replace Frolik, though.

Rieder is starting to grow on me.

Good skills package.

Just now, JTech780 said:

Hopefully it doesn't have anything to do with Tkachuk leaving in the 3rd last night.

I believe that he returned and finished the game and also played OT.

There's always going to be bumps and bruises.

Backlund was not on the ice for the last 5 minutes of the game.

I know that he was dumped pretty hard at least once.

Nice to have effective extras, and Wardo strikes me as the type to actually use a called-up player.

Saying that, he may just be an extra healthy body until Czarnik is back.

Bennett is off the radar again.

Rinaldo is only effective against heavy teams.

Interesting. He's obviously very deserving based on his play and development but it's just curious given the fact the forwards look over crowded as it is. 

But at the same time good on the Flames and good on Philips. Any call up for a 6th round pick is a good story, short or not. 

Funny part about Philips for me is the Flames took him with the pick they got when they flipped David Jones to Minny for Nik Backstrom. A WTF trade at the time, now has a great story attached to it. One of the low key very smart moves Treliving has made since he's been here. 

One tweak I would like to see is Andersson to PP1 and Gio to PP2. 

It gives you an additional right hand shot on the top unit. Right now its 4 LS to 1 RS. a 3 LS 2 RS split is more difficult to defend for the killers. Andersson also brings a one-timer option that Gio doesn't, he also tends to get more shots through.

Gio is still fine on the PP but I feel Andersson brings more to the table at this stage of the game. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

One tweak I would like to see is Andersson to PP1 and Gio to PP2. 

It gives you an additional right hand shot on the top unit. Right now its 4 LS to 1 RS. a 3 LS 2 RS split is more difficult to defend for the killers. Andersson also brings a one-timer option that Gio doesn't, he also tends to get more shots through.

Gio is still fine on the PP but I feel Andersson brings more to the table at this stage of the game. 

Ras gets used almost like a winger on the 2nd unit.

One timer from the Ovi spot.

I think he miscast there

Archived