2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Don't get me wrong, ideally Rinaldo isn't even on the 23 man roster, but where this team is right now, having on the roster and playing is necessary evil.

The team lacks a lot of what he brings, and Lomberg is a very similar player. I think they should go old school with a crash and bang energy 4th line.

Rinaldo has been effective IMO, in a small sample size. He has out high danger chanced the opposition 6 to 2 at 5v5. He is also tied for 8th amongst our forwards with 11 hits in 3 games.

I like a 4th line that gets in causes havoc and makes the opposition turn to get the puck and punishes them when they do. I think that's what Rinaldo does for us right now. I am perfectly fine with swapping him with Lomberg though. 

I don't disagree with the idea at all I think I just disagree on the player. The numbers look ok, but for me the eye test hasn't been great. Rinaldo works hard and brings a great attitude but he ends up just bumping into a lot of people with minimal impact. I don't think Rinaldo has provided much of a speak, mostly due to the fact that he's created very few events, hits etc. His hit numbers, while impressie, are more of the "bump" variety than something that could spark a team. 

I'm all for an aggressive 4th line but an effective one. Creating chances, changing plays with big hits, buzz saw attitudes, and then chpi in the odd goal here and there. I love all that stuff, I just don't think Rinaldo is that player. Lomberg seemed to be last year which is why I would give him a shot. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that Yelesin has been kept up and Davidson returned to the AHL.

I'm guessing they want to spend some time working with him, see where he is in practices.

Otherwise, they should send him back to get more minutes played.

Also interesting that Kylington stayed up over Davidson.

I thought Davidson showed his offensive abilities against the Blues, even if he was burned on the same goals as Kylington.

He wasn't a tire fire.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Don't get me wrong, ideally Rinaldo isn't even on the 23 man roster, but where this team is right now, having on the roster and playing is necessary evil.

The team lacks a lot of what he brings, and Lomberg is a very similar player. I think they should go old school with a crash and bang energy 4th line.

Rinaldo has been effective IMO, in a small sample size. He has out high danger chanced the opposition 6 to 2 at 5v5. He is also tied for 8th amongst our forwards with 11 hits in 3 games.

I like a 4th line that gets in causes havoc and makes the opposition turn to get the puck and punishes them when they do. I think that's what Rinaldo does for us right now. I am perfectly fine with swapping him with Lomberg though. 

this is exactly opposite of what a lot on here seem to think or say. The flames aren’t flailing because of the 4th line, they are because the first two lines are Satoshi Nakamoto when other teams make them work. The fourth line should be one that goes for you, creates energy and sets things up for the other lines. 

Many expect 30+ points it seems. 

we know that it changes from year to year, but for me, it is about energy when others lack it.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I can appreciate the stability now but one thing i'm hoping for from Ward is an open mind and maybe you don't get some of the same bias Peters had (and that's not a negative towards Peters)

I mean that top line has shown nothing in the last 5-6 months of hockey now that tells you they are about to break out or that they can get back to where they were. It's past time to re think it. 

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Now that Czarnik is back I would like to see these lines:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Czarnik

Tkachuk-Monahan-Mangiapane

Dube-Backlund-Ryan

Lucic-Jankowski-Frolik

I don;t have a problem with moving Monahan away from JH.

I would suggest that the most ready for top line play is Mangiapane.

I don't care about the size aspect.

The two wingers that have been looking like top 6 are Tkachuk and Mangiapane.

Spilt them into two lines so we have two going.

Mangiapane-Lindholm-Gaudreau

Tkachuk-Monahan-Czarnik (one option)

Dube-Backs-Ryan

Lucic-Janko-Frolik

I have to admit that even though Looch has been playing hard, he is a bit of a mismatch with Dube.

And he isn;t playing well enough to get 14 minutes.

I am curious to see what the lines are going to look like at practice today. The players have been off for two days, but I am guessing that Ward and the coaching staff have been hard at work game planning and today they get to start implementing those plans.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I really don't know what else to say but Wow! I don't know that I hate them, but I just don't really know what to think of the forward lines.

Top line was doing absolutely nothing. May as well mix it up now rather than later in the season when it may be too late.  This just may also be a statement to say no one is unmovable.

1 minute ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Top line was doing absolutely nothing. May as well mix it up now rather than later in the season when it may be too late.  This just may also be a statement to say no one is unmovable.

The more I look at it, the more it makes sense to me.

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane, are the best forwards going right now, may as well put them together and see what happens.

Monahan-Backlund-Dube, moving Monahan to the wing should take some pressure off of him, Backlund and Dube have the speed to go get pucks and get back defensively, allowing Monahan to concentrate on offense.

Lucic-Ryan-Gaudreau, Lucic gives Gaudreau some size and someone who can win board battles, should give Gaudreau some space to operate, playing Gaudreau down the lineup hopefully will get him away from the top forwards and defensemen from the other teams.

57 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The more I look at it, the more it makes sense to me.

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane, are the best forwards going right now, may as well put them together and see what happens.

Monahan-Backlund-Dube, moving Monahan to the wing should take some pressure off of him, Backlund and Dube have the speed to go get pucks and get back defensively, allowing Monahan to concentrate on offense.

Lucic-Ryan-Gaudreau, Lucic gives Gaudreau some size and someone who can win board battles, should give Gaudreau some space to operate, playing Gaudreau down the lineup hopefully will get him away from the top forwards and defensemen from the other teams.

I think you are seeing experiment #1.

Try out a RHS C with Tkachuk and Mangiapane.

Those three are driving the play, so why not.

Gaudreau's usage is a kick in the pants.

I could also see another option that plays about the same:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Gaudreau

Dube-Backlund-Mangiapane

Lucic-Monahan-Ryan

Rieder-Janko-Frolik (or Frolik-Janko-Rieder)

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think you are seeing experiment #1.

Try out a RHS C with Tkachuk and Mangiapane.

Those three are driving the play, so why not.

Gaudreau's usage is a kick in the pants.

I could also see another option that plays about the same:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Gaudreau

Dube-Backlund-Mangiapane

Lucic-Monahan-Ryan

Rieder-Janko-Frolik (or Frolik-Janko-Rieder)

To me putting Gaudreau on the 3rd line makes sense because that's about how good he has been playing 5v5. Lucic and Ryan also give him two guys who are winning puck battles right now, something Gaudreau doesn't do.

I really have zero issue with the 1st and 3rd line setups at practice. The 2nd line I am not as sold on, but I do like the idea of Monahan on the wing, because he already plays like a winger anyways.

I am all for Ward trying whatever he wants. the top line hasn't worked all year and really didn't work at the end of last year so I think it's time to be done waiting for them to "get it back".  Line combos can be an experiment at times so try something new and see what happens. 

Outside of Hamonic -Hanifin (hate that) I like it. gives Mangiapane a well earned chance, get Tkachuk/Lindholm together (they've been great together) and hopefully takes the pressure of Gaudreau 5 on 5 to maybe let him get his game back while not hurting the team. 

But I Mean this is also practice. Won't be shocked if the lines are different come the game and this was just a quick test. 

I

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I am all for Ward trying whatever he wants. the top line hasn't worked all year and really didn't work at the end of last year so I think it's time to be done waiting for them to "get it back".  Line combos can be an experiment at times so try something new and see what happens. 

Outside of Hamonic -Hanifin (hate that) I like it. gives Mangiapane a well earned chance, get Tkachuk/Lindholm together (they've been great together) and hopefully takes the pressure of Gaudreau 5 on 5 to maybe let him get his game back while not hurting the team.

Totally agree, I just hope he has a little more patience than the last coach. The dust couldn't even settle before it got torn apart again. Been waiting for Mangia to get a 1st line opportunity though.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

To me putting Gaudreau on the 3rd line makes sense because that's about how good he has been playing 5v5. Lucic and Ryan also give him two guys who are winning puck battles right now, something Gaudreau doesn't do.

I really have zero issue with the 1st and 3rd line setups at practice. The 2nd line I am not as sold on, but I do like the idea of Monahan on the wing, because he already plays like a winger anyways.

He's played like garbage 1/2 the season so far.

No doubt there.

How exactly does playing him with Lucic help his game?

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's played like garbage 1/2 the season so far.

No doubt there.

How exactly does playing him with Lucic help his game?

Has playing him with top 6 players helped his game so far?

Gaudreau has 8 points 5v5 this season, that's 6th on the team and he has played significantly more than anyone ahead of him.

Playing him on the 3rd line allows him to get away from the top defensive units of other teams. Lucic and Ryan have been generating a ton of chances lately, and having Gaudreau with them will hopefully mean that more of those chances will be converted.

Kudos for putting it in a blender to see what come out of this. I am fine with it but still don't see why the guy that drives your offense now down on the 3rd line. This should open more ice for Gaudreau but who keeps up with him. His problem is he has no one on a line that can drive the play like he does. Quite possible you see a line of

Bennett - Ryan- JG in the near future. Hey I am open for anything to tweak some more offensive out put. 

Archived