2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I like that top line. Backlund has had some ups and down this season but for the most part has been putting himself in good positions to get chances they just haven't gone in. The trouble i'm seeing with Monahan is he is not getting those chances on a consistent enough basis which limits what Johnny can do. 

I think Backlund helps Gaudreau by getting the puck going in the right direction and Tkachuk helps Monahan because he is the ability to slow the game down to his speed and buys time for his teammates to get to positions to receive passes.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think Backlund helps Gaudreau by getting the puck going in the right direction and Tkachuk helps Monahan because he is the ability to slow the game down to his speed and buys time for his teammates to get to positions to receive passes.

Maybe Gaudreau will help Backlund.

Lord knows he's had chances.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I was not impressed with JH and Backlund together.

Are they supposed to be a shutdown line?

Maybe if they play JH on RW, it might help Tkachuk.

Then again, Tkachuk was passing to nobody last night.

Blind passes to the middle from behind the net.

I really liked the Mangiiapane goal.

It's exactly what Monahan does when he's on his game.

Kylington did what you want the D to do; get the freakin' puck on net.

I was a bit more impressed with the bottom 6.

They played like you want them to when the top 6 is doing nothing.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I was not impressed with JH and Backlund together.

Are they supposed to be a shutdown line?

Maybe if they play JH on RW, it might help Tkachuk.

Then again, Tkachuk was passing to nobody last night.

Blind passes to the middle from behind the net.

I really liked the Mangiiapane goal.

It's exactly what Monahan does when he's on his game.

Kylington did what you want the D to do; get the freakin' puck on net.

I was a bit more impressed with the bottom 6.

They played like you want them to when the top 6 is doing nothing.

To be fair what line has Gaudreau looked good on? The guys is a mess right now. Need to find some kind of solution. Backlund and Tkachuk control the puck something Gaudreau is struggling with right now.

Since they are going on a 4 game road trip and only have 6 healthy defensemen I am guessing one of Valiev, Yelesin or Nielsen are going to be recalled. I would bring up Yelesin as he could bring a spark to the game with one big hit.

Calgary's defense depth is really getting tested right now.

Last night they seemed fine and weren't the reason we lost.

56 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Since they are going on a 4 game road trip and only have 6 healthy defensemen I am guessing one of Valiev, Yelesin or Nielsen are going to be recalled. I would bring up Yelesin as he could bring a spark to the game with one big hit.

Calgary's defense depth is really getting tested right now.

Last night they seemed fine and weren't the reason we lost.

Stone wasn't bad, but he was doing exactly what Hamonic had been doing; passing to nobody.

He was on the PK, which was fine as long as he didn't need to win a race to the puck.

The only issues I saw on D last night were Gio misplaying the first goal (but at the same time forwards didn't exactly backcheck) and then Davison misplaying the final Avs goal at the line. I was actually pleasantly surprised with Davison and I expect the odd brain cramp like that from your 8th/9th dman. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The only issues I saw on D last night were Gio misplaying the first goal (but at the same time forwards didn't exactly backcheck) and then Davison misplaying the final Avs goal at the line. I was actually pleasantly surprised with Davison and I expect the odd brain cramp like that from your 8th/9th dman. 

I agree. I did think Stone played quite well last night, he was physical and played well defensively, he might have been our best defenseman last night.

I thought Giordano and Andersson struggled a bit, but a lot of that had to do with facing MacKinnon who is a top 3 player in the league right now.

3 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Not sure if this is the right place, but Babcock was fired by the leafs today.  Any interest in replacing Peters, or is Babs overrated/washed up?

Zero interest in Babcock, he is overrated. Also get the sense that he thinks he is bigger than the team. 

Personally feel he is overrated and certainly not worth the price tag he is going to command nor do I see the Flames owners coming close to giving him that type of $. 

If Peters is not working out, to which I have no reason to believe is true, I'm not seeing bringing in the guy who mentored him for years as a very attractive option. 

54 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Personally feel he is overrated and certainly not worth the price tag he is going to command nor do I see the Flames owners coming close to giving him that type of $. 

If Peters is not working out, to which I have no reason to believe is true, I'm not seeing bringing in the guy who mentored him for years as a very attractive option. 

something that has me optimistic is that Peters is going back to the guys who are going. The last few games he has played the higher paid guys less that the bottom six because the bottom six were going in these games. 

25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

something that has me optimistic is that Peters is going back to the guys who are going. The last few games he has played the higher paid guys less that the bottom six because the bottom six were going in these games. 

One knock on Peters from Carolina was that he plays favorites.  So, it's good to see he's going with players who deserve it.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

One knock on Peters from Carolina was that he plays favorites.  So, it's good to see he's going with players who deserve it.

I felt he did that a lot last year, when Ryan wasn’t doing much he kept going to him. So I get that, and I don’t like it either.

It seems to me that our biggest issues right now are with our top two centers.

Whether Johnny is making Monahan worse or Monahan is making JH worse doesn't really matter.

The top line is struggling playing 200 feet and against top lines.

Maybe it makes sense to have them fix the problem themselves and learn from it.

It's going to be a lot of losses between now and then, if they figure it out.

What I might suggest is a new top line of Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane.  I don't care what message it sends; these are the players that have played the best.

Give them top lines to play against.

Start them in either end.

Only Tkachuk is a real shift disturber, but the other two don't shy away.

2nd line is Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan.

Play them 70% or more starting in the O-zone.

Ryan takes some of the draws to help win possession.

Whenever possible, don't start them against the top line.

3rd line is Lucic-Backlund-Frolik.

Backlund has lost his skills for the time being, it seems.

Lucic has been a decent winger recently.

Maybe he doesn't provide Tkachuk level defensive play, but he isn't bad.

4th line is Dube-Janko-Rieder.

Assuming Janko isn't traded, Dube offers some speed and good defensive play to offset any Janko deficiencies.

Short of making a bunch of trades, there has to be changes to the lines to do something to change it up.

Archived