2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Might be time to put this guys on waivers. If we lose him, we clear $1.6m off the cap, if he clears we clear $1.025m off the cap, minus the amount of the player we recall.

He has been really bad and it's been hard to watch. 

I was a Jankowski supporter after his draft and coming out of college, but it is getting really hard to support the player.

I would suspect he has value out there.

It's not like he's totally useless, just that he's being used in such a limited capacity that he is doing nothing good.

Past performance stick in GM's minds.

Shorthanded goals last season?

He's lucky if he gets 6 minutes at 5v5 in a game.

Not excusing him, but between him and Frolik playing 4th line, there's not much opportunity to do much.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would suspect he has value out there.

It's not like he's totally useless, just that he's being used in such a limited capacity that he is doing nothing good.

Past performance stick in GM's minds.

Shorthanded goals last season?

He's lucky if he gets 6 minutes at 5v5 in a game.

Not excusing him, but between him and Frolik playing 4th line, there's not much opportunity to do much.

Maybe we can get something for him, but the fact that most of the league is tight against the cap, makes me think he wouldn't get claimed.

He has been as close to useless as anyone on the team this year. He isn't producing, and I really don't have that much of an issue with that, it's that he hasn't been great defensively and he is way too easy to play against.

He needs to up his game.

I think he would probably do better in the east. Maybe we can use him to get Fast from the Rangers.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Maybe we can get something for him, but the fact that most of the league is tight against the cap, makes me think he wouldn't get claimed.

He has been as close to useless as anyone on the team this year. He isn't producing, and I really don't have that much of an issue with that, it's that he hasn't been great defensively and he is way too easy to play against.

He needs to up his game.

I think he would probably do better in the east. Maybe we can use him to get Fast from the Rangers.

I'd waive him personally. He's become the epitome of everything we don't want to be. Soft, unskilled, poor defensively, no passion...he just isn't any good. How long do we fight this?

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I'd waive him personally. He's become the epitome of everything we don't want to be. Soft, unskilled, poor defensively, no passion...he just isn't any good. How long do we fight this?

Who do you think could do the job on the 4th line with Looch and Reider/Frolik/Quine?

Just asking because it doesn;t make sense to bring Dube up to play there.

At least I don't think so.

Gawdin is about the most versatile C in Stockton right now.

At the very least, they should think about sending Quine down for him.

Gives options.

RW to play with Bennett.

C to play with Lucic and Rieder.

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Might be time to put this guys on waivers. If we lose him, we clear $1.6m off the cap, if he clears we clear $1.025m off the cap, minus the amount of the player we recall.

He has been really bad and it's been hard to watch. 

I was a Jankowski supporter after his draft and coming out of college, but it is getting really hard to support the player.

What a missed opportunity in the Kadri deal.

I was a Jankowski supporter the last two seasons because he was progressing so well and when paired with Gaudreau, delivered the numbers.  For whatever reason, he's a liability on the ice now.  It's not that he's not scoring, he's actually making bad reads and hurting us when he has the puck.

Obviously I like Kadri as a player so that hurt, but the biggest reason why it’s hard to get over that deal is I think Treliving was really cashing in on peak value for both Brodie and Janko. From an asset management perspective that was such a home run of a deal it just sucks it didn’t go through. You are not going to get better value than that. 

im not as down on Jankowski as many here and I think liability isn’t fair. You need more from him for sure but I don’t think he is a candidate to get waived. I think you let him play this out, try and gain his confidence and hopefully you can move him at the deadline. I don’t see the value in rushing the decision. I’m not a Jankowski fan and I don’t think a breakout is happening,but I do think other teams would look at him as an avg bottom 6 center option. Clearly the Leafs did so I would imagine they are not the only ones and that’s a ln asset that should net you something if he can get back to playing his game. 

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Obviously I like Kadri as a player so that hurt, but the biggest reason why it’s hard to get over that deal is I think Treliving was really cashing in on peak value for both Brodie and Janko. From an asset management perspective that was such a home run of a deal it just sucks it didn’t go through. You are not going to get better value than that. 

im not as down on Jankowski as many here and I think liability isn’t fair. You need more from him for sure but I don’t think he is a candidate to get waived. I think you let him play this out, try and gain his confidence and hopefully you can move him at the deadline. I don’t see the value in rushing the decision 

I read where he is a Corsi darling, which is hard to fathom considering the huys he has played with.

He's not scoring, but neither is Lucic or Rieder or Quine or Bennett.

He's also playing such low minutes that there is barely any chance to do anything.

4 or 5 minutes at even strength.

That has to change or there won;t be any improvement.

My preference is to use him in a trade, not as the primary piece.

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Who do you think could do the job on the 4th line with Looch and Reider/Frolik/Quine?

Just asking because it doesn;t make sense to bring Dube up to play there.

At least I don't think so.

Gawdin is about the most versatile C in Stockton right now.

At the very least, they should think about sending Quine down for him.

Gives options.

RW to play with Bennett.

C to play with Lucic and Rieder.

Lindholm

Monahan

Backlund

Ryan

*maybe lol

Lindholm

Monahan

Backlund

Ryan

*maybe lol

yup! But a lot are married to the top line to place Lindholm at C. I really liked what he did at C in the two games they switched it up. Coaches keep going back to what isn’t working long term though. 

36 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

yup! But a lot are married to the top line to place Lindholm at C. I really liked what he did at C in the two games they switched it up. Coaches keep going back to what isn’t working long term though. 

Long term last season, they were one of the most effective lines in hockey.

Put Lindholm in a spot where he has much more defensive responsibility and we maybe lose his goal scoring.

Doesn;t mean it's not an option (road games?), just not a great long term strategy.

At least the way the roster is constructed right now.

Add another offensive C to the mix and we have two scoring lines.

You can use Mangiapane on the Tkachuk line with an offensive C.

Bennett-Backlund whomever becomes an effective shutdown line with enough grit to annoy.

Lucic and whomever can be a line that just needs to chip in and add some energy and forechecking. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Long term last season, they were one of the most effective lines in hockey.

Put Lindholm in a spot where he has much more defensive responsibility and we maybe lose his goal scoring.

Doesn;t mean it's not an option (road games?), just not a great long term strategy.

At least the way the roster is constructed right now.

Add another offensive C to the mix and we have two scoring lines.

You can use Mangiapane on the Tkachuk line with an offensive C.

Bennett-Backlund whomever becomes an effective shutdown line with enough grit to annoy.

Lucic and whomever can be a line that just needs to chip in and add some energy and forechecking. 

Mangiapane may replace the scoring, but in my mind they're on the same line together regardless, with JG. Then the OHL line, and Backlund's a perfect 3C.

I get that Mangia may not be ready for the increase of minutes, but we drafted him for his goal scoring. How long do we wait before we've driven him right out of the opportunity to prove it?

We have a knack for making top 6 guys prove that they're bottom 6 guys first, and then they can't escape that role. It makes no sense these days, when Commissioner Bettman's mandate is young and fast. He gets his mandate from owners and mgmt, he's not some little Hitler. It affects the way things are reffed to steer it that way imho.

Get with the mandate and we'll be good. lol

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Kylington with the hatty tonight, but was a -3 in Stockton.

I hope that he learns whatever he needs to learn soon.

Not liking Brodie with Stone.

The best they look is serviceable.

At worst they are a huge liability.

The team had 27 giveaways.

The one in OT that set up the penalty was all Monahan, even if JH got credit for it.

JH was been iffy over the last number of games.

If he's being ragdolled, they need to send a message to the other team.

Throw Bennett up there for a shift to lay down the law.

Last nights game gives credence to the notion that the Flames will never win with Gaudreau running the offence. That’s as close to a playoff game as you’ll get and he was a no-show against a hard and heavy team. Lots of hockey left to be played but that still wasn’t what you want from your top players 

44 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Last nights game gives credence to the notion that the Flames will never win with Gaudreau running the offence. That’s as close to a playoff game as you’ll get and he was a no-show against a hard and heavy team. Lots of hockey left to be played but that still wasn’t what you want from your top players 

Ok.  So the solution is?

I have my doubts about Gaudreau too but I think the “heavy” thing is getting way over played. I don’t think heavy games affect Gaudreau and it sure didn’t last night IMO. 
That being said my doubt about Gaudreau are there for sure. I’m not convinced he’s the franchise player the Flames need. Part of the reason I’d look into Hall 

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I have my doubts about Gaudreau too but I think the “heavy” thing is getting way over played. I don’t think heavy games affect Gaudreau and it sure didn’t last night IMO. 
That being said my doubt about Gaudreau are there for sure. I’m not convinced he’s the franchise player the Flames need. Part of the reason I’d look into Hall 

I'm not sure we can solve anything without trying other things.

JH is struggling, but Monahan has not been scoring on what I consider money shots.

4 goals on 20 games.

Lindholm has been good.

Since only Tkacuk is putting up goals beyond the top line, it takes its toll.

Sure, we should be exploring a Hall trade.

I think he would be motivated.

And he would provide that speed on anoth line.

TBH, it would have to include Bennett and probably Janko going the other way.

Or maybe it's just Bennett and Brodie.

I was just watching some Gaudreau highlights from last season, and two things I noticed was how often he was attacking the middle of the ice, and how hard he back checked.

So far this season he looks way too content to stay to the outside, and he isn't coming back on the back check near as hard. 

Not sure what his deal is this season, but he needs to start attacking the middle of the ice again.

I'm hoping they can get on a steady diet of practices now. The sked has been pretty disruptive to that.

I know the response will likely be “ well if they want to be a good team then schedule doesn’t matter”. 
but it does and it’s been brutal to start the season. Something that probably hasn’t gotten enough talk and while it is not an excuse it’s something to keep in mind for the overly critical side. 
should put in perspective that they are not really in a bad spot right now. 

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I know the response will likely be “ well if they want to be a good team then schedule doesn’t matter”. 
but it does and it’s been brutal to start the season. Something that probably hasn’t gotten enough talk and while it is not an excuse it’s something to keep in mind for the overly critical side. 
should put in perspective that they are not really in a bad spot right now. 

20 games.  1/4 of the games and it's only the 2nd week of November.

3 B2B series, 11 games on the road.

1 regulation loss at home so far.

2 OT losses at home, both occured during a PK in OT.

3 points back of 1st in the Pacific.

3rd in the West.

We have issues no doubt.

Scoring is down from last year.

Penalties are getting ridiculous.

PP scoring is bad.

The positives?

Ras is looking like an everyday NHL'er.

Mangiapane is fitting in the top 6.

Rittich playing out of his mind most nights.

Lindholm proving last year wasn't a fluke.

Tkachuk leading the charge.

Hopefully the practice time will provide some focus to the team.

Breakouts are not coordinated and ususally one man.

D-zone coverage is too passive.

Archived