2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Sounds like Quine has been recalled. He is coming off a back to back with Stockton so if he gets into the game tonight that is 3 games in 3 nights, that's a tough position for any player.

aa4dd32c9279e1f7cb9fef70204adab2.png

14 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

Kreiger probably plays tonight as well.. sit out jankowski and czarnik4th libe.. quinne/lucic/kreiger

If by Krieger you mean Reider, he played last night and so did Czarnik.

My guess is the only reason Quine was recalled is because Bennett can't go tonight, he didn't finish the game last night. 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Lucic-Ryan-Czarnik

Quine-Jankowski-Reider

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

My guess is the only reason Quine was recalled is because Bennett can't go tonight, he didn't finish the game last night. 

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Lucic-Ryan-Czarnik

Quine-Jankowski-Reider

Bennett was on the wrong end of a knee on knee. Well, trip. A terrible throw your leg out to catch a guy. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Lucic-Ryan-Czarnik

Quine-Jankowski-Reider

Yeah, otherwise it makes zero sense.

He doesn't play, you could recall Quine and send down Kylington on Tuesday.

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I like sticking with Czarnik on the 2nd line and really happy Mangiapane is back.

Now build some consistency. 

The only thing I would change with the current forward group is swap Frolik and Reider, which is a small change, but I like the rest of the lineup.

One could argue about playing Stone instead of Kylington. Washington is a heavy team so I get why they would choose Stone for this game.

43 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The only thing I would change with the current forward group is swap Frolik and Reider, which is a small change, but I like the rest of the lineup.

One could argue about playing Stone instead of Kylington. Washington is a heavy team so I get why they would choose Stone for this game.

Yeah, made similar comments about Stone in the GDG.

Frolik and Rieder seem to be the same style of player IMHO, with Frolik having better finish.

That 3rd line does seem a little light.

I would be thinking about double shiftin JH on the 3rd line and Lindholm taking some shifts with the 2nd line.

Only works if Lindholm isn't always kinning penalties.

Post special teams shifts are an area the Flames struggle.

Especially PK.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Good to see Bennett back.

I wonder if this illness has been an ongoing thing that has caused Gaudreau to be off his game the last week or so.

Hope so.  Maybe Johnny needs a game off to recuperate.  Would be interesting to see what that does to the top lines.  Tkachuk-Monahn-Lindholm could be interesting, especially as Mony seems to be upping his physical play a bit.  Last season Benny had some chemistry with Czarnik, so maybe Bennett-Backlund-Czarnik would make a solid second line.

2 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Hope so.  Maybe Johnny needs a game off to recuperate.  Would be interesting to see what that does to the top lines.  Tkachuk-Monahn-Lindholm could be interesting, especially as Mony seems to be upping his physical play a bit.  Last season Benny had some chemistry with Czarnik, so maybe Bennett-Backlund-Czarnik would make a solid second line.

Bennett was practicing in Gaudreau's spot today. Which either means that Bennett could play there is Johnny can't go, or Peters is continuing using Bennett as a placeholder.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Bennett was practicing in Gaudreau's spot today. Which either means that Bennett could play there is Johnny can't go, or Peters is continuing using Bennett as a placeholder.

Johnny is saying he is playing on Thursday.

Or should I say, he is expected to be playing.

image.png.4b12e2a58df1c24fd2c0c37268ff1eb8.png

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

For practice, you insert a player deemed healthy wherever you can.

Well, as much sense as it would make to use Bennett with Monahan and Lindholm, the reality is that it limits what you use Gaudreau for.

Playing with Backlund in an offensive rle is fine, but not if you are playing the best lines.

I'm actually reading a bit much into the lines from practice.

Frolik playing with Backlund and Tkachuk.

Rieder or Cazrnik will come out of the lineup.

Bennett will play less minutes so he probably gets Lucic and Janko.

Rieder can kill penalties.

Czarnik can play on the PP.

Choose the victim.

This team needs a shake up, teams are taking away Gaudreau's time and space and he isn't adjusting to it well. The defense pairs are stagnant..

Tkachuk-Monahan-Lindholm

Need to get Gaudreau away from the top pairs and checking lines. Tkachuk and Monahan look a bit quicker this year so I am not as worried about them being together as I have in the past.

Gaudreau-Backlund-Czarnik

I am not sure how Backlund and Gaudreau will gel, but Backlund is a possession beast so that can only help Gaudreau. Czarnik has the shot and giving him an elite playmaker would be interesting to see if he can finish.

Mangiapane-Bennett-Frolik

Hardest working line, will create chances based off of hard work. Putting Bennett and Frolik together means that only one line will take penalties right?

Lucic-Jankowsi-Ryan

Ryan is off to a slow start, but he gets some size to play with. Jankowski and Lucic have looked ok in spurts in the past.

Giordano-Brodie

This Calgary's best pairing, nothing else really needs to be said.

Hanifin-Andersson

Hamonic looks like he has lost a step this year. This pairing has potential, the only issue is both make some bad reads in the defensive zone, but they should have an easier time getting the puck out.

Kylington-Hamonic

These two need a bit more sheltering than the others. Kylington's speed helps Hamonic and Hamonic's veteran presence will help Kylington.

37 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This team needs a shake up, teams are taking away Gaudreau's time and space and he isn't adjusting to it well. The defense pairs are stagnant..

Tkachuk-Monahan-Lindholm

Need to get Gaudreau away from the top pairs and checking lines. Tkachuk and Monahan look a bit quicker this year so I am not as worried about them being together as I have in the past.

Gaudreau-Backlund-Czarnik

I am not sure how Backlund and Gaudreau will gel, but Backlund is a possession beast so that can only help Gaudreau. Czarnik has the shot and giving him an elite playmaker would be interesting to see if he can finish.

Mangiapane-Bennett-Frolik

Hardest working line, will create chances based off of hard work. Putting Bennett and Frolik together means that only one line will take penalties right?

Lucic-Jankowsi-Ryan

Ryan is off to a slow start, but he gets some size to play with. Jankowski and Lucic have looked ok in spurts in the past.

Giordano-Brodie

This Calgary's best pairing, nothing else really needs to be said.

Hanifin-Andersson

Hamonic looks like he has lost a step this year. This pairing has potential, the only issue is both make some bad reads in the defensive zone, but they should have an easier time getting the puck out.

Kylington-Hamonic

These two need a bit more sheltering than the others. Kylington's speed helps Hamonic and Hamonic's veteran presence will help Kylington.

I think you may need to rethink the lines, but it's just an opinion.

Tkachuk-Monahan   Fine with this pair.  I don't think Lindholm belongs with them, as he's more critical to Gaudreau's game when Mony suffers.

Gaudreau-Backlund-Lindholm  I think you would still see a lot of scoring from these guys.  Backlund would finish a lot more scoring plays.

Mangiapane-Ryan  I think Bennett would be best with these two.  C or RW, depending on the faceoffs.

Lucic-Janko   Not ideal.  Need to find the guy that makes these two acceptable.  Maybe it's Rieder.

So we have Frolik and Czarnik left out. 

You could opt to use Bennett with Monahan and Tkachuk.  fine as an experiment.

That leaves Frolik/Czarnik/Rieder to play with Lucic's line or Ryan's line.

Frolik with Ryan might be the best idea, leaving Czarnik or Rieder to play with Janko/Lucic.

At least you have some speed out of that line.

I'm not so positive about the D pairs.

I've seen Gio and Brodie play as bad together as the good.

Have we ever seen Brodie play with Kylington?

Gio-Ras  (plays 18 minutes and Brodie subs in to make up minutes with Gio)

Hanifin-Hamonic  (they have been either really good or really bad, maybe give them more shelter) 

Kylington-Brodie  (interested to see if this would even work)

I'm only suggesting this because I don't think Gio-Brodie has been that good as a whole.

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Damn, Czarnik was really starting to have an impact the last 4-5 games. Was really help make the 2nd PP unit dangerous too.

Yeah, that's a blow.

So, I would expect that Rieder comes in for the outdoor game?

Both have the same approximate status as Flames players, so there is no "deserves to play" based on that.

Rieder and Quine both have good parts to their game.

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Not how I would have drawn it up, but I am not mad at it either.

If you swap Mangiapane and Tkachuk, that's how I had it drawn up. I have no bottom 6 drawn up though. Particularly if we can't try Jankowski on the wing. It is Lindholm-JG/Mony-Tkachuk pairings I'd like to see though.

Archived