2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Some interesting changes at practice today. I don't disagree with 1 of them

I like these lines. Bennett is on the 2nd PP unit in Backlund's spot.

That 4th line is like having another shut down line, should cause some chaos on the forecheck.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I like these lines. Bennett is on the 2nd PP unit in Backlund's spot.

That 4th line is like having another shut down line, should cause some chaos on the forecheck.

I know they also had Mangiapane on the Backlund line today, but this actually makes some sence based on how well Bennett has played with Backlund in the past.

I would prefer to see Hanifin (or even Kylington) on the 2nd if they plan on runnung with 2 D.

Kylington, for his warts, has an offensive mind.

May not be as ready as Hanifin, but Brodie is not the answer.

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Some interesting changes at practice today. I don't disagree with 1 of them.

also looks like Peters is finally starting to either reward Bennett or truly see what is capable here. I'm here for it

I like it...   It is exactly the line combos I was hoping Peters might try out...   :)

42 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

My hope is they give Bennett an extended look on the 2nd line, 5-10 games, not a period or two. Now is the time to try combinations. If it doesn’t work try Mangiapane. We saw what happened in the playoffs when the lines went stale 

Let's face it, we don't always see what the coaches see.

They see a bit more than we see in the TV view.

AT least that's what they are supposed to see.

What is he doing when the puck's on the other side or end of the ice?

Is he finishing assignments?

Give him the reps to get it right, but there has to be positive steps or it's a waste of time.

If he's going to play with Backlund, he has to do so without taking too many penalties.

I'm talking about the dumb ones, like hooking if you lose position or interference because you lose a faceoff.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Let's face it, we don't always see what the coaches see.

They see a bit more than we see in the TV view.

AT least that's what they are supposed to see.

What is he doing when the puck's on the other side or end of the ice?

Is he finishing assignments?

Give him the reps to get it right, but there has to be positive steps or it's a waste of time.

If he's going to play with Backlund, he has to do so without taking too many penalties.

I'm talking about the dumb ones, like hooking if you lose position or interference because you lose a faceoff.

So, like a penalty Monahan took in game 1? 

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

So, like a penalty Monahan took in game 1? 

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about what it takes to stay in the top 6.

Score a goal, get in the face of the goalie, draw a penalty, strip the puck.

Frolik wasn;t doing enough, so they are making a change.

BTW, game 1 was a lesson in marginal calls.

Backlund's cross-checking?

Seriously?  With his glove?

Gaudreau-Monanahan-Lindholm

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Gaudreau and Monahan look poised to take another step, Monahan looks faster and more engaged.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

I really wanted Bennett to work on this line, but Mangiapane has fit like a glove on that line in the early going. Backlund has struggled to start, but he will turn it around.

Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik

Bennett and Czarnik had played well together last season and I think both players have a lot more to give offensively. Ryan has good vision and gets the puck to his wingers well, which would greatly benefit Bennett and Czarnik.

Lucic-Jankowski-Rieder

This isn't an indictment of Lucic but it's just where I see him fitting in the lineup. Rieder has been better than Frolik. Jankowski hasn't been great but I am not sure that Quine is much better, cheaper maybe and that's not a bad thing with where our cap is.

Frolik has been amongst the worst players to start the season and his cap hit is dead weight at this point, I think we need to move him to find any kind of cap relief.

33 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Gaudreau-Monanahan-Lindholm

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Gaudreau and Monahan look poised to take another step, Monahan looks faster and more engaged.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

I really wanted Bennett to work on this line, but Mangiapane has fit like a glove on that line in the early going. Backlund has struggled to start, but he will turn it around.

Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik

Bennett and Czarnik had played well together last season and I think both players have a lot more to give offensively. Ryan has good vision and gets the puck to his wingers well, which would greatly benefit Bennett and Czarnik.

Lucic-Jankowski-Rieder

This isn't an indictment of Lucic but it's just where I see him fitting in the lineup. Rieder has been better than Frolik. Jankowski hasn't been great but I am not sure that Quine is much better, cheaper maybe and that's not a bad thing with where our cap is.

Frolik has been amongst the worst players to start the season and his cap hit is dead weight at this point, I think we need to move him to find any kind of cap relief.

It's been 3 games and you want to move him out for a player who hasn't proven anything yet? (Czarnik).   I'm sure if it was so easy to move out Fro for cap relief it may have been done already.

I'll go and say he's back with Backes sooner rather than later. He got demoted last year and we saw what happened when he was put back.

5 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

It's been 3 games and you want to move him out for a player who hasn't proven anything yet? (Czarnik).   I'm sure if it was so easy to move out Fro for cap relief it may have been done already.

I'll go and say he's back with Backes sooner rather than later. He got demoted last year and we saw what happened when he was put back.

I think Peters has wanted to find a better option for the 2nd line going back to last season and I don't think he stuck with Frolik because he liked Frolik in that spot, but because he couldn't find anyone that he liked better. Enter Mangiapane, he has fit that line like a glove the last two games and Peters said that they will stick with that line for a few games.

I will admit that I was a bit harsh on Frolik, he is still a good player, but he isn't a top 6 player. We need the cap relief more than we need Frolik on our team, again that isn't an indictment of Frolik, it's just a reality of our cap situation.

Czarnik has never been given a chance to prove himself, in and out of the lineup and rarely played on the same line.

I would have to agree, you can't give up on Frolik right now. he is a slow starter but even last night he sits for a while and then comes up with a couple scoring chances in the 3rd period. I think Frolik has a role to play on this team this year. 

42 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Leave the forward lines like that for a few games and let these guys get going.

Kylington is interesting. Could see the rationale behind just getting Stone some reps, but at the same time in the 3rd period Kylington got beat wide because of a poor read and let Toffoli get a real good scoring chance that without a great save with Rittich would have ended the game. Mistakes like that can't happen and there's been a number of them already from Kylington. 

But the real story here for me is Andersson getting promoted. he was fantastic last night. 

Edit:

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Leave the forward lines like that for a few games and let these guys get going.

Kylington is interesting. Could see the rationale behind just getting Stone some reps, but at the same time in the 3rd period Kylington got beat wide because of a poor read and let Toffoli get a real good scoring chance that without a great save with Rittich would have ended the game. Mistakes like that can't happen and there's been a number of them already from Kylington. 

But the real story here for me is Andersson getting promoted. he was fantastic last night. 

Edit:

In isolation, Kylington had some bad reads, but then again so did Hamonic.

IIRC, that may have been a 2 on 1, and he gave up the boards because there was no other player back yet.

As it turned out, he just needed to take the man he was closest to.

That may not be what you are talking about, but it's one I saw developing and got a bit annoyed with.

For some reason (special teams or his play) he played 12 minutes.

I don't think this is sitting Kylington as much as getting Stone in and giving Ras a look at top minutes.

As it was Ras played 18 last night.

You also can't play Ras with Stone, because Stone is only able to play (barely :) ) RD.

In isolation, sure 1 poor read is not a problem but this is not an isolated incident. Kylington has been pretty rough in his own zone this season so they are starting to pile up.

Not suggesting he deserves to sit, just that the fact that they now want to get Stone a game is not a coincidence IMO. They'll go back to him, but he needs to start playing a smarter game. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

As hard as I am on Kylington, it is absolutely debatable if Stone is worth putting up there I will give you that. 

While Kylington hurts us with the puck by making bad decisions, Stone hurts us without the puck by veering off basic X's and O's.

The best thing about Fantenberg and Prout is that they are 6/7 guys who know they are 6/7 guys and play like a 6/7 guy.  Stone jumps up on the play and joins the rush in situations usually reserved for the Erik Karlssons of the world.  I don't know what goes on his mind when he looks in the mirror.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Stone jumps up on the play and joins the rush in situations usually reserved for the Erik Karlssons of the world. 

I don't know what goes on his mind when he looks in the mirror.

c020738df64a22835b7ad911261999ec.png

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

In isolation, sure 1 poor read is not a problem but this is not an isolated incident. Kylington has been pretty rough in his own zone this season so they are starting to pile up.

Not suggesting he deserves to sit, just that the fact that they now want to get Stone a game is not a coincidence IMO. They'll go back to him, but he needs to start playing a smarter game. 

Overall, I would say the defense has been rough this season.

His miscues have had less to do with the game score than a lot of others.

Not defending him, just saying he isn't the only one.

If I was stuck with one or the other, I would take Kylington every day.

At least he makes positive contributions.

And he can actually learn.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

I would have to agree, you can't give up on Frolik right now. he is a slow starter but even last night he sits for a while and then comes up with a couple scoring chances in the 3rd period. I think Frolik has a role to play on this team this year. 

I think it’s a matter of slotting players properly. Like you said in another post, it is early. I just hope they can find their mix and run with it. 

The slow starts are concerning. I don’t know if the Flames will get any easy games this year. Being best in the West last year might make them a team for others to get up for. Starting slow might put us behind in a lot of games. 

25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think it’s a matter of slotting players properly. Like you said in another post, it is early. I just hope they can find their mix and run with it. 

The slow starts are concerning. I don’t know if the Flames will get any easy games this year. Being best in the West last year might make them a team for others to get up for. Starting slow might put us behind in a lot of games. 

play without a goalie for the first 5 minutes or so.. play 5 forwards/ 1 d.. gio for defence,, Tkachuk/Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindsrom/ Backlund.. that should take care of the slow starts and have everyone focused

Archived