2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There's not much to seperate a top team from a bottom team.

Both have the ability to play very well one night.

The seperation comes from being able to do it more than 50% of the time and having players offset those other times.

The Oilers have the ability to play a really good game, but they don't do it enough.

And they have goalies or D that let them down.

Heck, McD was barely a + player.

Tampa has one of the best goalies that helps them when they are inconsistent.

Last year we lost games we should have won.

We had so few games where we didn't score, and those were usually the ones that had a couple of goals against.

So, he really never actually left the ice then. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, kehatch said:

They figured him out in February but then forgot what they figured out by March? The Flames didn't have a problem scoring in the regular season and the preseason means precisely nothing. 

It's been frustrating for years actually.  Lots of pressure in the offensive zone but lack finish. 

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Considering the upward trending of Tkachuk with Backlund and an assortment of RW's, I don't have the same concern.

Backlund gets under my skin for his missed chances and stupid penalties at critical times.

His play in the playoffs was just bad.

But he was a postive influence all season long.

Bennett was less successful for 82 games yet had a stonger series in the playoffs.

He plays with crappy players at times.

In the playoffs, he did get bumped up, so results may have been skewed by that a bit.

He does take more dumb penalties than Backlund and they aren't always grit related.

But, as I also said, he has to take the steps himself to improve.

Pass in better situations.

Change shot mechanics.

Don't just drive through players; nice move in the pre-season where he walked the Bear.

Do that against lesser guys, not trying it against top D.

Take a bloody slapshot every once in awhile.

He can become a bigger part of the team by improving these few things.

I agree with this, will be interesting to see the lineup this evening but if Backs is in looks like SB gets bumped again and I don’t think they are going to stick him in Hathaway’s old spot.  If I don’t see him on the 2nd PP I will be disappointed because I think his puck movement is better than just about everyone except JG.

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lucic will benefit from a RHS C.  Bennett is the odd man out.

If Janko picks up his socks, the last line might overtake the Bennett line for minutes.

Just curious, what do you mean by Bennett being the odd man out?

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Just curious, what do you mean by Bennett being the odd man out?

Bennett would also benefit from a RHS playing on LW, but Lucic is in that spot.

Odd amn out.

I guess the other thing is we took a guy that was a C, moved him to LW, and have since moved him to RW.

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett would also benefit from a RHS playing on LW, but Lucic is in that spot.

Odd amn out.

I guess the other thing is we took a guy that was a C, moved him to LW, and have since moved him to RW.

I really thought this would have been the season to put Bennett back at C, if not with Tkachuk in the top 6 then as the 3rd line C. I like JTech's suggestion of trading Czarnik for Ho-Sang, then have a 3rd line of Mangiapane, Bennett, Ho-Sang.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'd like to see Hanifin instead of Brodie.

Almost like they are showcasing him, eh?

TBH, Brodie is too passive out there; skates it out of position rather than making quick passes.

Somebody should be loading up Ras for the shot, with the net front people screening or cleaning up the garbage.

On 10/4/2019 at 9:20 AM, GM_3300 said:

I really thought this would have been the season to put Bennett back at C, if not with Tkachuk in the top 6 then as the 3rd line C. I like JTech's suggestion of trading Czarnik for Ho-Sang, then have a 3rd line of Mangiapane, Bennett, Ho-Sang.

That's not a bad idea.  We get a R-shot guy, albeit possibly(?) a problem child.... not sure what the issues are there.  Czarnik has been getting better here, I like him, but he is on the fringes and better team balance would probably be helpful.

1 hour ago, cccsberg said:

That's not a bad idea.  We get a R-shot guy, albeit possibly(?) a problem child.... not sure what the issues are there.  Czarnik has been getting better here, I like him, but he is on the fringes and better team balance would probably be helpful.

Czarnik will be a 13th forward forever until he shows he has something else.

Perhaps he was a scratch for being a little sore, but BP talks about using Rieder as one of the primary PK guys.

That doesn;t bode well for Czarnik or maybe even Frolik.

I don;t like the small sample size, but Frolik looks off.

BP demoted him in game two.

If we are not going to use Frolik properly, then trade him for cap space and a decent prospect or NHL player.

Or they should just trade Czarnik for Ho Sang and see if he can play well enough in the AHL for a bit.

Call up Quine or Gawdin to be the 13th.

GIve them a game.

I thought Gawdin was one of the better players in pre-season.

Very much a 200 foot player.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Czarnik will be a 13th forward forever until he shows he has something else.

Perhaps he was a scratch for being a little sore, but BP talks about using Rieder as one of the primary PK guys.

That doesn;t bode well for Czarnik or maybe even Frolik.

I don;t like the small sample size, but Frolik looks off.

BP demoted him in game two.

If we are not going to use Frolik properly, then trade him for cap space and a decent prospect or NHL player.

Or they should just trade Czarnik for Ho Sang and see if he can play well enough in the AHL for a bit.

Call up Quine or Gawdin to be the 13th.

GIve them a game.

I thought Gawdin was one of the better players in pre-season.

Very much a 200 foot player.

Agree that both Czarnik and Frolik look vulnerable, though I wouldn't say either has played badly.  With Dube, Quine and Gawdin waiting in the wings, and others not that far behind, they are prime trade bait after a month or two.   Jankowski, Monahan and Bennett all look better than last year and I'm looking forward to see if they can keep it up.

Czarnik hasn't actually played more than about 3 minutes.

Frolik lost his minutes on the PK, but I think he's better than a lot of others that get minutes.

I'm just saying that they need to grab the spot they fit into.

Czar on the PP hasn't been good.

Frolik has made a lot of mental errors so far.

They will be trade fodder (not really fair) if things don't change.

By rights, Lucic didn't earn the minutes he played, but he's a coach's player.

He does what he is asked to do.

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Czarnik hasn't actually played more than about 3 minutes.

Frolik lost his minutes on the PK, but I think he's better than a lot of others that get minutes.

I'm just saying that they need to grab the spot they fit into.

Czar on the PP hasn't been good.

Frolik has made a lot of mental errors so far.

They will be trade fodder (not really fair) if things don't change.

By rights, Lucic didn't earn the minutes he played, but he's a coach's player.

He does what he is asked to do.

Holy Cow you two this is two games and the coach is trying some stuff for chemistry. Drawing conclusions about players losing their spots or getting less playing time is futile at this stage.

Archived