2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

I like Rieder. I want my fourth line guys to do something other then play 6 sheltered minutes a night. I want them to be able to play up and perform a role such as kill penalties, draw penalties, play physical, etc. 

Rieder has the ability to play up, kill penalties, and has some offensive potential. Plus, with him on a 2 way minimum wage deal there is nothing to worry about. This isn't a Grossman type deal where the player is a liability and will hurt the team on the ice. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had the 19th PK last year, there is a lot of room for improvement, Rieder becomes one of our top PK guys, we don't exactly have a ton of speed on the PK, we have good skaters, but none that bring Rider's speed.

I would have preferred that Dube forced his way into the lineup and stole a job, but he didn't really do that, and probably will be better served by spending more time in Stockton.

I understand the PK but imo that low ranking has more to do with philosophy and execution then it does individual pieces and talent. I’ll be surprised if Reider makes an impact to the PK

like I said it's not worth getting upset over or over analyzing. I just wish the contract and the spot was going to bring more physicality. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I understand the PK but imo that low ranking has more to do with philosophy and execution then it does individual pieces and talent. I’ll be surprised if Reider makes an impact to the PK

If you want to talk about direct replacements, Rieder replaces Hathaway.

Whether he's better or worse remains to be seen.

We needed one more body that could be used.

Don;t really want Tkachuk on the PK.

Was Bennett that good?

Janko was risk/reward.

Lindholm took a lot of minutes as did Backlund.

We saw a lot of passive play last year.

Let them gain the zone.

Force them to the perimeter.

When we pressure them early and also not let them gain the zone we were better.

Rieder seems to be that style.

Overall, Rieder is not an awesome find, just a guy that could contribute to the team.

PTO deal, not UFA overpayment.

He's really just battling for a spot on the 4th line with Dube, Czarnik and Quine.

None have really done anything amazing.

Brief stretches of scoring and shhoting from Czarnik and Quine.

Dube with lots of hustle but little finish against better lineups.

Dube could go to the AHL for some seasoning and show he's ready for 3rd line or better.

I don't know if that the right decision or not, but getting chances and not scoring only gets you so far.

37 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

We had the 19th PK last year, there is a lot of room for improvement, Rieder becomes one of our top PK guys, we don't exactly have a ton of speed on the PK, we have good skaters, but none that bring Rider's speed.

I would have preferred that Dube forced his way into the lineup and stole a job, but he didn't really do that, and probably will be better served by spending more time in Stockton.

Yup, I feel out PK is a bit too passive. For a team with good possession stats I find we still defend passively and it’s where we end up with horrible chances against. I would like to see more pressure on the puck than they’ve done in the past. 

Do we not have the players to be a top 10 in pk team? I think so. 

Is it coaching or players holding them back?

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

like I said it's not worth getting upset over or over analyzing. I just wish the contract and the spot was going to bring more physicality. 

re: bolded: Before the pre-season started, I thought  maybe Smith-Pelly or Rinaldo might be a good add...   Too often Smith-Pelly seemed to display a lack of effort, may have been lack of conditioning, but either way it seemed like he didn't want it bad enough...   Of the two, Rinaldo had a better showing...   As for Reider,I get that he has more speed, but I also agree with you that his addition won't turn around the Flames PK or add much for it without other changes that are not directly connected to Reider anyways...   So I have to wonder if Rinaldo would have been the better addition...

It’s still possible Rinaldo gets a contract. Flames have plenty of contract room but an also not sure Rinaldo does much. Sure he’s physical but he’s also a liability everywhere else on the ice. 

Flames needed to find some effectiveness toughness in the offseason especially for the 4th line imo. I know he tried with Kadri but I thought it would have been more of a focus after losing Hathaway. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It’s still possible Rinaldo gets a contract. Flames have plenty of contract room but an also not sure Rinaldo does much. Sure he’s physical but he’s also a liability everywhere else on the ice. 

Flames needed to find some effectiveness toughness in the offseason especially for the 4th line imo. I know he tried with Kadri but I thought it would have been more of a focus after losing Hathaway. 

I get the Tkachuk deal wasn’t supposed to hinder what BT could do, but I think it did. Plus i think it shows that it’s not easy to find what Hathaway brings. 

They should be a dime-a-dozen, but I wonder if being right up at the cap limited what he could do.

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I get the Tkachuk deal wasn’t supposed to hinder what BT could do, but I think it did. Plus i think it shows that it’s not easy to find what Hathaway brings. 

They should be a dime-a-dozen, but I wonder if being right up at the cap limited what he could do.

The Lucic trade did more to hinder the team's ability to sign UFA's.

They had a sense of what the cap was going to be with Tkachuk's deal.

The fnal year of $9m was a concession by BT.

Available PTO.  Was Rinaldo and DSP the best he could do?

Signing Stone at $700k?

Sure it's a value contract, but is it any more needed than AMac?

We don;t have a shortage of RD.

All Stone provides is injury relief if a RD is out.

He can;t play top 4.

At best, he replaces Ras if he or a top 4 D is injured.

27 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Of course it did. The reality of the salary cap is signing good players is going to limit what you can do no surprises there. 

This isn’t an indictment on BT it’s just a criticism I have of the off-season. I thought they could have done more 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Of course it did. The reality of the salary cap is signing good players is going to limit what you can do no surprises there. 

This isn’t an indictment on BT it’s just a criticism I have of the off-season. I thought they could have done more 

Lucic at his price isn't enough toughness for you ? Right now I have no idea what they have in mind for RW outside of Lindholm and Frolik. Using Bennett, Czarnik and now Reider doesn't seem ideal.

15 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

Lucic at his price isn't enough toughness for you ? Right now I have no idea what they have in mind for RW outside of Lindholm and Frolik. Using Bennett, Czarnik and now Reider doesn't seem ideal.

No it isn’t. Especially when you consider his lack of speed. Lucic will help on the forecheck but i was hoping for someone that could be brought in with speed and physicality. Someone who can change momentum when you need it. 

I also would have loved to see more of a presence on the backend. That’s a taller ask though. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I get what you are saying, and while yes it would have been nice to add a bit more physicality to the lineup. I think one thing we lacked was top end speed, we have good team speed and some quick skaters, we don't really have that guy with true top end speed. I think Rieder brings that to the table, and it can cause a lot of havoc. 

Dube has that same speed and skating ability, he just needs to work on getting stronger and work on some of the fine details of his game.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:22 AM, robrob74 said:

If our 4th line is Lucic, Jankowski and Reider, I like Rieder's speed here and his ability to play 3rd line also.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Walking a very fine line here.

From a cap perspective, Czarnik was the better choice to waive.

Would have added about $500k to available cap.

I'm not sold that he's an everyday NHL'er.

Maybe he is and finally shows it.

Then again, he's going to have to fight to get in over Rieder.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The only issue I see with the 2nd unit is that their two best shooters are both RHS, also Bennett and Lucic are at their best as the net front presence.

This may or may not be temporary.

Bennett is taking Backlund's spot, at least from last season.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

From a cap perspective, Czarnik was the better choice to waive.

Would have added about $500k to available cap.

I'm not sold that he's an everyday NHL'er.

Maybe he is and finally shows it.

Then again, he's going to have to fight to get in over Rieder.

I prefer Czarnik to Quine myself, Quine shows well in short periods, but after a few games he tends come back down to earth.

Czarnik is practicing on the PP, so it looks like he might in the lineup to start. He can also play center.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I prefer Czarnik to Quine myself, Quine shows well in short periods, but after a few games he tends come back down to earth.

Czarnik is practicing on the PP, so it looks like he might in the lineup to start. He can also play center.

Quine also plays C.

He had all of 13 games.

Can someone explain to me where Bennett fits into this lineup? Is he taking Mangiapane's spot when Backlund is healthy? Is he playing on the 4th line? 

I think playing him in the 4th line would be a big mistake, so I would put him in Mangiapane's spot, but is playing Mangiapane playing on the 4th line the best solution.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Can someone explain to me where Bennett fits into this lineup? Is he taking Mangiapane's spot when Backlund is healthy? Is he playing on the 4th line? 

I think playing him in the 4th line would be a big mistake, so I would put him in Mangiapane's spot, but is playing Mangiapane playing on the 4th line the best solution.

Nope. At worst he should be in Lucic's spot.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Im going with Mangiapane being bumped down and Czarnik being bumped out. 

Archived