2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

In general, I would say BT like to have about 1.5m in cap space going into the season.

Sure, it doesn;t have to be today.

We can carry more than the cap during the summer.

A cap dump trade versus 1.16 dead cap space for two years.

I just don;t see how we manage to carry his salary into October.

Maybe with a trade for just picks of Frolik or Brodie.

Or a cheap player coming back for either of those two.

I'm not losing sleep since I know BT gets it.

• Frolik traded for a mid round pick
  • Goalies signed for about 5.5 million
  • Bennett signed for 2
  • Tkachuk signed for 8
  • Brodie traded for similar salary forward (like Kadri)

That brings you to about 2M under the cap.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, kehatch said:

• Frolik traded for a mid round pick
  • Goalies signed for about 5.5 million
  • Bennett signed for 2
  • Tkachuk signed for 8
  • Brodie traded for similar salary forward (like Kadri)

That brings you to about 2M under the cap.

I like projecting cap.

12.2m right now.

Add Frolik's 4.5 and Gillies' 750k

Say 17.5m.

15.5m allotted to everyone.

Assume that the guy coming in has no impact, say Kadri for instance.

Minus Mangiapane's deal to have 14F.

Bennett needs to accept 2m prior to arbitration.

Isn;t that leaving only 2m minus 700k for Mangiapane?

So 1.3m space or less.

Am I missing something?

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I like projecting cap.

12.2m right now.

Add Frolik's 4.5 and Gillies' 750k

Say 17.5m.

15.5m allotted to everyone.

Assume that the guy coming in has no impact, say Kadri for instance.

Minus Mangiapane's deal to have 14F.

Bennett needs to accept 2m prior to arbitration.

Isn;t that leaving only 2m minus 700k for Mangiapane?

So 1.3m space or less.

Am I missing something?

If:

Bennett @ $2.5m

Mangiapane @ $1.25

Rittich @ $2.75

Tkachuk @ $8

Frolik traded for picks

Brodie traded for Kadri

Talbot @ $2.5

Prout @ $800k

Leaves about $1m in cap space left to start the season.

The problem with buying out Stone is that you need to spend the savings you to bring in his replacement. I can't see Kylington starting as the 3rdnpairing RD or the 7th defenseman so he starts in the AHL.

BT mentioned today that some current players may move around in the lineup next year, ie) L shot playing RW. If no trade materializes maybe Mangiapane could play RW with Tkachuk. He seemed to finally find his scoring touch at the NHL level down the stretch. I don't think it's out of the question he could be a Connor Sheary type player, able to score 15-20 when playing with a great playmaker like Tkachuk

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

BT mentioned today that some current players may move around in the lineup next year, ie) L shot playing RW. If no trade materializes maybe Mangiapane could play RW with Tkachuk. He seemed to finally find his scoring touch at the NHL level down the stretch. I don't think it's out of the question he could be a Connor Sheary type player, able to score 15-20 when playing with a great playmaker like Tkachuk

I don't buy into what he says.

Working on a deal that makes sense for SMith.

Brodie not being shopped.

He's pretty vague when he answers specific questions.

Says they look inside and outside.

Not going to talk about trading a player for another player that fits the bill.

For now, he needs to get RFA's signed in case someone tries to offer sheet Tkachuk or Rittich.

Bennett is not a target for most teams and the OS would be far too cheap to match for them to make it.

He's not going to get 4m from anyone.

WOW a lot of changes to our past roster just by seeing Hathaway, Fantenberg, Prout and Smith signing with other teams. Nothing insurmountable but sure opens up new possibilities. The Brodie talk was expected but nothing materialized yet ??? Burke saying he isn't sure Calgary wants to trade Brodie, which means Treliving wants a significant return if he does trade him. We have a new Goalie is Talbot that should be motivated to perform. Could it be we only see Stone and Frolik as the ones unloaded this off season ?

Treliving did say earlier that they may have to stay internally for their own improvement which could be telling on the lack of involvement thus far. Let's say for the most part the team stays relatively unchanged, I still believe our top 9 needs a much better arrangement by Peters. They have to decide to get Tkachuk away from Backlund and determine how to get more compete out of some players. They also need to have speed and talent in the right places in order to get the best out of all the combinations. Here are some thoughts.

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk

Bennett, Monahan, Neal

Mangiapane, Backlund, Czarnik

Dube, Ryan, Tuulola ???

Defensively I would hope Treliving could unload Brodie and Stone.Bbring back Engelland for the 3rd pairing.

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Engelland

Kylington

GOALIES

Rittich and Talbot

1 hour ago, GM_3300 said:

WOW a lot of changes to our past roster just by seeing Hathaway, Fantenberg, Prout and Smith signing with other teams. Nothing insurmountable but sure opens up new possibilities. The Brodie talk was expected but nothing materialized yet ??? Burke saying he isn't sure Calgary wants to trade Brodie, which means Treliving wants a significant return if he does trade him. We have a new Goalie is Talbot that should be motivated to perform. Could it be we only see Stone and Frolik as the ones unloaded this off season ?

Hathaway is the only player other than Smith that was a regular roster player.

The role may not be replaced directly, but without any other change, Czarnik is in the lineup.  Or Quine.

Trading Brodie and Frolik is what you do to get help in another position where we have a hole and maybe save some cap.

Buying out Stone or trading him is strictly a cap move.

Considering the upcoming cap crunch that was known, I'm not sure why they feel they don't need top buy out Stone.

Kehatch and JTech pointed out the possible cap scenarios, and I get we can still float.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hathaway is the only player other than Smith that was a regular roster player.

The role may not be replaced directly, but without any other change, Czarnik is in the lineup.  Or Quine.

Trading Brodie and Frolik is what you do to get help in another position where we have a hole and maybe save some cap.

Buying out Stone or trading him is strictly a cap move.

Considering the upcoming cap crunch that was known, I'm not sure why they feel they don't need top buy out Stone.

Kehatch and JTech pointed out the possible cap scenarios, and I get we can still float.

Let's hope Treliving has something in the works for moving Brodie, Stone and Frolik. It's the offseason and a ways to go yet, not everything happens on Day 1.

35 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

Let's hope Treliving has something in the works for moving Brodie, Stone and Frolik. It's the offseason and a ways to go yet, not everything happens on Day 1.

I don't really worry about things in the summer, but I do like it when they are in on things.

Some trades look like we missed out on them.

I would like them to target Gusev, but that's just me.

Could still happen regardless of buyouts and other trades.

Would need to be a prospect and picks.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't really worry about things in the summer, but I do like it when they are in on things.

Some trades look like we missed out on them.

I would like them to target Gusev, but that's just me.

Could still happen regardless of buyouts and other trades.

Would need to be a prospect and picks.

I wouldn't mind Gusev I am just not sure he would sign here. My guess is that he wants a lot of money and would prefer to be in a bigger market. He seemed pretty content to just stay in Russia.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wouldn't mind Gusev I am just not sure he would sign here. My guess is that he wants a lot of money and would prefer to be in a bigger market. He seemed pretty content to just stay in Russia.

My understanding is that he is here now and wants to sign.

The report is they are millions apart, which doesn;t sound good.

Might just be because he wants to move on.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

My understanding is that he is here now and wants to sign.

The report is they are millions apart, which doesn;t sound good.

Might just be because he wants to move on.

He times his move over so he could avoid the ELC.  I am thinking he wants more than Dadanov's 3 years at $4 AAV, I am thinking he is going to cost $5m+, we don't have room to sign him either. Unless Brodie and Frolik both go out the door for picks.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

He times his move over so he could avoid the ELC.  I am thinking he wants more than Dadanov's 3 years at $4 AAV, I am thinking he is going to cost $5m+, we don't have room to sign him either. Unless Brodie and Frolik both go out the door for picks.

If it much more than $3m, I have not a lot of interest for an untested player.

Even then, it would require some stuff moving out, maybe not to Vegas but elsewhere.

4 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

Treliving did say earlier that they may have to stay internally for their own improvement which could be telling on the lack of involvement thus far. Let's say for the most part the team stays relatively unchanged, I still believe our top 9 needs a much better arrangement by Peters. They have to decide to get Tkachuk away from Backlund and determine how to get more compete out of some players. They also need to have speed and talent in the right places in order to get the best out of all the combinations. Here are some thoughts.

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk

Bennett, Monahan, Neal

Mangiapane, Backlund, Czarnik

Dube, Ryan, Tuulola ???

Defensively I would hope Treliving could unload Brodie and Stone.Bbring back Engelland for the 3rd pairing.

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Engelland

Kylington

GOALIES

Rittich and Talbot

Engelland has re-signed with VGK.  Ideas not bad, but how about switching Bennett and Tkachuk, which better matches player speeds and provides better protection for Gaudreau.  Maybe switch Monahan and Lindholme too so you have a good puck carrier on each line.

4 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Engelland has re-signed with VGK.  Ideas not bad, but how about switching Bennett and Tkachuk, which better matches player speeds and provides better protection for Gaudreau.  Maybe switch Monahan and Lindholme too so you have a good puck carrier on each line.

when ?  hes not on CapFriendly and I never saw that announcement ? they were even just mentioning him as an option on Fan 960 like, 10 minutes ago 

20 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

phoenix is saying Engelland is available ? hope so and signs here.

Actually I like the way I have the lines as it provides Tkachuk with the speed and talent he needs to be matched with there. Bennett is actually a very good puck carrier plus has the speed to make up for Monahan and Neal lack of burning speed. I know a number here think Monahan and Neal have cement skates but they are both smart players that think the game very well. Some may disagree but I think Lindholm is the best overall forward on this team.

22 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

when ?  hes not on CapFriendly and I never saw that announcement ? they were even just mentioning him as an option on Fan 960 like, 10 minutes ago 

Engelland makes sense IMO given no effort was made to keep Fantenberg and Prout.

6 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Right about CapFriendly.  I’m sure I saw it somewhere but looks like I’m wrong.  

I really like JTech's proposed trade in the "Realistic Trades" thread involving NAS and ourselves. Somewhere I heard earlier that NAS could have some interest in having Neal back so if true try it.

Brodie, Neal and Czarnik for Turris C, Scissons RW, Watson RW and Irwin RD would be my ask for such a deal. This fills a number of needs for us.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Mangiapane, Turris, Tkachuk

Bennett, Backlund, Scissons

Dube, Ryan, Watson

DEFENSE

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Irwin    (would love to see Engelland back)

Kylington

GOALIES

Rittich, Talbot

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What's everyone's thoughts on playing Derek Ryan as 2nd line RW?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm

Tkachuk - Backlund - Ryan

Smart player with decent vision and can pass to Tkachuk.  

I don't think so Ryan is no more than this team's Matt Stajan.

41 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

I don't think so Ryan is no more than this team's Matt Stajan.

No disrespect intended to Matt Stajan , but Ryan brings way more to the table than Stajan did .  But I do agree , what he brings is best served primarily from the 4th line center role 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

No disrespect intended to Matt Stajan , but Ryan brings way more to the table than Stajan did .  But I do agree , what he brings is best served primarily from the 4th line center role 

Yes and no but hardly worth debating. Ryan is a good player that you can play almost anywhere in the line up at any time to cover off stuff. We needed to be better in the circle and he provides that in spades. Second season now more familiar with is team mates he should be more like how he finished out the season.

Archived