2019 Stanley Cup Playoff Predictions

Thebrewcrew

Some round one predictions

Flames over Avs in 6

- Depth prevails, top to bottom the Flames are just deeper than the Avs. However I expect this to be a close series that could go either way. Mackinnon I expect to singlehandedly win them a game or two

Golden Knights over Sharks in 6

- To me this one comes down to goaltending, I would trust Fleury way more than Jones. I don't love either team though, I don't think Karlsson is totally  healthy for SJ and they kind limped into the playoffs. I wasn't huge on Vegas until the Stone trade which gave them an evident morale boost, they have tailed off a bit down the stretch. Could go either way but I go with the goalie I trust

Preds over Stars in 7

- Once again depth prevails, NSH is just deeper than DAL and in a long series, which I expect this one to be that will be the difference. Goaltending battle should be fairly equal, Rinne gets a bad postseason rep based on the SCF games in PIT and game 7 vs WPG, but he stole them a bunch of series the last handful of years and Bishop will likely be a Vezina candidate. I was able to watch a few of these regular season games and they were vicious, these games will be worth tuning in on.

Blues over Jets in 6

- Something just seems off about the Jets to me, their 2nd half I find concerning. Blues have been rolling and are reminiscent of the 2012 and 2014 Kings. This will be a really good series but I lean Blues, how healthy is Big Buff, what does Morrisey look like upon his return? Lots of questions about WPG that they may not have time to answer against the red-hot Blues.

EAST

Capitals over Hurricanes in 5

- While I would like to se CAR win this series, I really don't like their chances at all, WSH is better on paper at every position and the playoffs will be new to most Canes. Who starts in net for CAR? Regardless I like Holtby better than those two. Ferland vs Wilson could be an interesting matchup, but in general WSH has more toughness that can wear down a smaller Canes team.

Penguins over Islanders in 5

- Once again I wanna pick NYI, but It's really hard to bet against Crosby. I haven't loved the regular season the Pens have had this year, but they have the grey hairs of the post season. The Isles have been a great story, but I don't think they can outscore the likes of Crosby/Malkin/Guentzel/Kessel. The games at the Coliseum will be terrific though, perhaps it can give the home team an advantage. I also like Murray in the postseason more than Lehner.

Lightning over Blue Jackets in 6

- I think this is the best possible matchup for Tampa, not in terms of ease but because I think this will be a really good test for them. Jackets had to get on a roll to get in and are a team built for playoff hockey. I still like Tampa here though, better at every single position. This series should prepare them better for BOS and WSH along the way. IMO a date with MTL woud have been worst case for TB as MTL is a soft team they would roll over. This will get them ready for the potential heavy teams they could face later on.

Bruins over Leafs in 6

- Boston knows they are in the heads of Leaf player, fans and media and they absolutely love it. This reminds me of Flames-Ducks. I actually think on paper the Leafs are better than Boston, except the Bruins are a huge mental block for the Leafs. Andersen better be on his game or I don't like this at all for TOR and he isn't exactly heading into the post season as a brickwall. Tavares will help TOR in this series as it could present matchup problems for BOS, but I don't think it will make that much of a difference.

Oh also for anyone that doesn't like this format, my predictions would result in the exact same 2nd round matchups for the East as last year...

Flames in 6

Sharks in 7

Preds in 6

St Loo in 6

TBay in 5

Isles in 7

Canes in 6

Bruins in 6

Pavelski only a couple games back from injury, should settle the team out.

Trotz can coach through a tough matchup. From lousiest D in the league by a lot to best D in the league.

Canes with the biggest upset. Good mix if they get the goaltending. Mrazek's the wildcard imho.

The Leafs....I hope they beat the Bruins, but this is a full-on overblown mental disorder. lol

Flames in 5 (Avs present the ideal matchup for the Flames in round 1 and I just don't think their goaltending is going to hold)

Vegas in 6 (Mark Stone and Fleury are the difference. Can't see the Sharks goaltending suddenly getting fixed)

Preds in 5 (Top to bottom for me, the Preds are still the best in the WC)

Jets in 7 (I thikn this is a veteran team that was just waiting to get here. Should be close but I think they pull it out)

Canes in 7 (Canes are one of the best teams in the NHL in the 2nd half and I just haven't felt right about the Caps all year. Big upset)

Lightning in 4 (Jackets started to round it out, but Tampa just too damn good)

Pens in 6 ( I think the Pens firepower comes through)

Bruins in 6 (Might even go 7 but I just don't think the Leafs can physically get past the Bruins)

• 3 weeks later...

Watching Williams, I don't know how you can bet against Mr. Game 7 if the Canes get to game 7.

All he does is score goals in game 7.

The annoying thing for me is that we could have beat the Sharks in Round 2.

That is assuming we had played Round 1 like I thought we were going to.

46 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

CBJ vs Boston in 5

Canes vs NYI in 7 (pick 'em - tight series)

Dallas vs St Loo in 6

Avs vs SJ in 6

What a whole new look Conference Finals this would be. lol

Bettman will have a stroke.

Hard to sell a bunch of jerks and lunchpail kids to the American market.

No teams East of Ohio.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Bettman will have a stroke.

Hard to sell a bunch of jerks and lunchpail kids to the American market.

No teams East of Ohio.

I don't think he has a say in the matter. lol

The Eastern teams (if I'm right) are 2 struggling markets so he should be happy.

I believe the Canes/NYI series will be a dandy. Big time D series with 2 goalies with something to prove. Both teams capable of coming in waves. What the Canes did to the Caps in last night's OT was unbelievable. Just all over them. The NYI haven't had any bumps in the road after handily sweeping the Pens.

CBJ is the big story for me. Kekalainen making a huge brave call to go all in. After sweeping the Lightning, I have no idea how the Bruins turn the tides because CBJ is a heavy team and won't be getting intimidated like the Leafs.

SJS is about to have the same problem we did with the Avs. And Martin Jones isn't Mike Smith's play for us.

St. Loo is the Cup team for me, but I'm bias to Army bringing the Cup to my town, and hopefully reconnect with him after 35 yrs, lol.

Lost touch when I moved to England. Such a good guy. And I don't care who he is now, it would just be great to see him and make fun of each other.

Trotz has the Isles playing a complete team game.

1-0 OT loss.

2-1 loss.

These 2 teams are playing soccer scores. Perfect playoff calibre hockey.

The whole "bunch of jerks" thing created momentum for the Canes. Cherry should take a bow.

Any team that finds a battle cry seems to always do well in the playoffs. However insignificant it seems, it works.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Trotz has the Isles playing a complete team game.

1-0 OT loss.

2-1 loss.

These 2 teams are playing soccer scores. Perfect playoff calibre hockey.

The whole "bunch of jerks" thing created momentum for the Canes. Cherry should take a bow.

Any team that finds a battle cry seems to always do well in the playoffs. However insignificant it seems, it works.

The battle cry is key.

Archived